2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

On 4/8/2019 at 8:13 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I like Keuchel but not at the 18 million price tag that he had before the season.  I don't see him moving that far off that number, which makes him a bad fit for the Mets.  I would like the Mets to move Lugo back to the #5 starting role, and put Vargas in the bullpen.  I'd love to dump him personally, he's a really bad contract, but that's never going to happen.  Another gift from Sandy.  Thanks a lot.

Kimbrel is another bad fit for the Mets.  We have a closer, his preference, and I'm comfortable with Familia in the set-up role, despite his inconsistencies.  Kimbrel was really bad in the World Series, shockingly so, don't know if it was a blip on the radar, or  a sign of things to come.  We've got a couple of hard throwing "prospects" in AAA who may develop over the course of the season, and be valuable additions later in the season.  Kimbrel also wants a fortune, a reason why he's still out there. If he signs a short term deal with any team, he will demand to be a closer.

Also, Keuchel  would cost us a draft pick. Not a great idea.  Wheeler will be fine. Soon.  Guaranteed.

Offensively it a refreshing change, eight years in the making, and at the cost of at least one World Series Championship, in my opinion.  Water under the bridge.

I’m just gonna add my two cents here buddy.

We aren’t in bad shape right now record wise, considering we haven’t had the easiest of schedules to start the season.

Starters have certainly not over performing. As long as he isn’t seriously hurt, deGrom is a given. Is Thor always going to annoy me? He has all the talent in the world, why can’t he put it together? Wheeler - I like this guy. Has some grit to him, and is a very, very important piece if we’re going to make noise this year. Matz - I’m at the end of my rope with him.

Vargas has been our favorite whipping boy this year, but last nights game was big, given what we were sending out there today. He wasn’t great, but he kept us in a game I think we needed. Have to find someone to replace him though. Soon.

If this deGrom situation shows us anything, it’s that we have to rethink what you said about Keichel. Sure he’ll be expensive (I could care less about the draft pick), but we need someone, and not just another arm, someone proven. If it isn’t Keichel, Brody has to earn his stripes and find someone.

The bullpen, aside from Diaz(what a pick up!) is spotty, especially with Familia being exactly what I thought he’d be. The CS is going to be working hard all year to mix and match with this group. Meh.

The lineup? How can we not be happy?

Nimmo and Canó are are both starting to hit. I told you Conforto was about to start a 4-5 year mvp type run, I’m liking that call, lol. Alonso, McNeil, and Davis have been great, even Lagares has done well, much to my surprise. It seems YOU were on the money with the faith you had in Rosario- good call!

I think we can be a very good ball club this year. As good as anyone if, and this is always the question with the Mets, the FO is aggressive. See the problems, and take action to fix them...

I love this team, so I’m going with this is a new era of Mets baseball. We really are going for it, and we will make whatever move needs to be made to win.

• Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Lith said:

Knew it would.  Due diligence.  When I heard that he threw afterward and felt better, I wasn't alarmed.  That plus the fact that it was done at the time of the extension, and my "lying eyes".  Good news though.  Now they should MRI Syndergaard's head and see if he has any problem with his "nerve".... Or Moxie.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Knew it would.  Due diligence.  When I heard that he threw afterward and felt better, I wasn't alarmed.  That plus the fact that it was done at the time of the extension, and my "lying eyes".  Good news though.  Now they should MRI Syndergaard's head and see if he has any problem with his "nerve".... Or Moxie.

Amen to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Aren't you that new poster that has more positive reps in your brief time here than that Azzwipe from Michigan has in eight plus years?  Please don't give me any advice or call me a bitch, or I'll have to get tough with you, OK, newbie?

Lol. He’s still sore from the argument him and I had 3 weeks ago I think.

He couldn’t wait to butt into the thing I had going with your old pal, the wonderboy.

Ah well, in a way this place can mirror the real world. I’m happy with my choice of friends AND foes.

• Sympathy 1

On 4/22/2019 at 7:43 PM, 14 in Green said:

Amen to that.

I think the worst problem is that he has no movement on his fastball. Flat straight … Somebody needs to teach him another pitch or a different grip to get some movement on that fastball. Familia's ball moves so much he can’t even control it! Thor needs some movement on what is normally a 98 mph Heater.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Good job by the bullpen last night. Lugo seems to be coming around, Gsellman needs to continue off his most recent outings and maybe Familia can get started.

Never thought I would be saying this, but please sign Gio Gonzalez.

They have to consider it. Familia still scares the crap out of me, hasn't been the same since Alex Gordon in gm#1 of the series. One other thing...the pitchers better start protecting our hitters. Guys get hit every damn game.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, section314 said:

They have to consider it. Familia still scares the crap out of me, hasn't been the same since Alex Gordon in gm#1 of the series. One other thing...the pitchers better start protecting our hitters. Guys get hit every damn game.

I have never seen so many balls riding in on hitters hands as this season. With this damn juiced ball, pitchers are having to pitch inside.

Gio lost his best stuff a couple of years ago. But, he is that crafty lefty that seems to get guys out somehow. His career numbers are great at Citi, too. Plus, he is not Vargas. I would much rather have him than Keuchel. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have never seen so many balls riding in on hitters hands as this season. With this damn juiced ball, pitchers are having to pitch inside.

Gio lost his best stuff a couple of years ago. But, he is that crafty lefty that seems to get guys out somehow. His career numbers are great at Citi, too. Plus, he is not Vargas. I would much rather have him than Keuchel. 

Agree on all points. Just let Gio pitch at home? Remeber when the Mets had Randy Jones(I think 1982) and they only let him pitch on the road?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I was just about to post about him when I saw the Yanks let him go.  He was a Mets killer.  Loves Citi.  

Not sure I prefer him to Keuchel but you would think he's much cheaper and much more a Mets type signing. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I was just about to post about him when I saw the Yanks let him go.  He was a Mets killer.  Loves Citi.  

Not sure I prefer him to Keuchel but you would think he's much cheaper and much more a Mets type signing. 

Mets have been scouting him, and supposedly checked in. Best thing is, he recently dumped Boras, and went to CAA (BVW's old agency).

Gio's deal with the Yankees was not terrible- $3m + $300k bonus for every start made. Figure he makes 20 starts, that makes it a $9m deal. That is the money the Mets saves as they converted deGrom's arbitration money to his new deal.

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Cant stand the dbag.  And why in that situation?  Just shut up.  He was calling it high all game long.

Because he's an entitled prick who thinks he's a god and how dare any umpire call a strike when he thinks its a ball. 

That's what happens when you're worshiped and called a phenom from a very young age, get Scott Boras as your agent while you're 15 years old, then play a year of JUCO ball when you're 16 so you can "graduate" high school early and focus on baseball and enter the draft.  You derive your entire self-worth on your ability to play baseball, without ever having to develop anything close to a likable personality. 

It's partly why you need a lot of guys on your roster who played college ball for 3 years and learned at one time or another that the world doesn't revolve around you, to offset a lot of these prep stars who only know about 2 things:  1) Baseball, and 2) I'm good at it.  Otherwise a guy like Harper can destroy a locker room on his own.

Even Arrieta called him out.  Said after the game “We need him in rightfield.  I don’t care how bad the umpire is. We need him in rightfield and he wasn’t there. That hurts.”

It's only April of the first year of his mega-deal, folks.  The Harper show has only just begun. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because he's an entitled prick who thinks he's a god and how dare any umpire call a strike when he thinks its a ball. 

That's what happens when you're worshiped and called a phenom from a very young age, get Scott Boras as your agent while you're 15 years old, then play a year of JUCO ball when you're 16 so you can "graduate" high school early and focus on baseball and enter the draft.  You derive your entire self-worth on your ability to play baseball, without ever having to develop anything close to a likable personality. 

It's partly why you need a lot of guys on your roster who played college ball for 3 years and learned at one time or another that the world doesn't revolve around you, to offset a lot of these prep stars who only know about 2 things:  1) Baseball, and 2) I'm good at it.  Otherwise a guy like Harper can destroy a locker room on his own.

Even Arrieta called him out.  Said after the game “We need him in rightfield.  I don’t care how bad the umpire is. We need him in rightfield and he wasn’t there. That hurts.”

It's only April of the first year of his mega-deal, folks.  The Harper show has only just begun. 

He always starts hot, so for sh*ts and giggles I was looking at his stats the other day.  Did you know, he's only hit 100 RBI's once so far in his career?  Never new that.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

He always starts hot, so for sh*ts and giggles I was looking at his stats the other day.  Did you know, he's only hit 100 RBI's once so far in his career?  Never new that.   

Yep.  1 great season out of 7. 

He's only 26 and there's time for him to build a strong career.  In fact, through his Age 25 season his similarity scores have him in the same company as Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey Jr.  But the phenom the game was promised, he is not.  Mike Trout has lapped him and its not even close.  Trout will go down as Mickey Mantle at the rate he's going.  Harper looks more like he will end up Justin Upton.  Both # 1 overall picks with very high ceilings who have good but not particularly memorable careers.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

I’ve been saying this from the offseason.... If Gio can pitch FOR us like he did AGAINST us, it would be a great signing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  1 great season out of 7. 

He's only 26 and there's time for him to build a strong career.  In fact, through his Age 25 season his similarity scores have him in the same company as Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey Jr.  But the phenom the game was promised, he is not.  Mike Trout has lapped him and its not even close.  Trout will go down as Mickey Mantle at the rate he's going.  Harper looks more like he will end up Justin Upton.  Both # 1 overall picks with very high ceilings who have good but not particularly memorable careers.

I saw a headline that said Ariel’s called him out last night in the clubhouse. Haven’t listened to the clip on the ESPN app yet. Was it anything?

EDIT I just saw you addressed it already. Sorry.

(good job by you tho...) ??

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think the worst problem is that he has no movement on his fastball. Flat straight … Somebody needs to teach him another pitch or a different grip to get some movement on that fastball. Familiars ball moves so much we can’t even control it! Thor needs some movement on what is normally a 98 mph Heater.

Whatever it is, it’s getting to the point where he either fixes it, or the time to cut bait will be coming soon. I’ve wondered lately what he would bring back in a trade, but the problem(and it’s a new one)is we need arms, not bats.

BTW I have to be fair and compliment Matz on a really nice effort last night under conditions which weren’t the best. Good job by him stepping up and snapping us out of that 2-6 skid.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Whatever it is, it’s getting to the point where he either fixes it, or the time to cut bait will be coming soon. I’ve wondered lately what he would bring back in a trade, but the problem(and it’s a new one)is we need arms, not bats.

Might be premature to be saying that.  Especially when you consider the following:

• Cano is 36.  Hopefully McNeil is ready to be "the guy" at 2B, but its too early to say there.
  • 3B may still be a gaping hole moving forward, despite Davis' early success. 
  • Pete Alonso is looking awesome, but let's re-visit in a few months.
  • Lagares hits Free Agency this offseason and Keon Broxton is a JAG. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

The difference between him and Keichel is huge. One is high end, the other is a #4 or 5 starter at this point. Tells you how bad Vargas is though, when we’re all hoping for Gio. LOL

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Might be premature to be saying that.  Especially when you consider the following:

• Cano is 36.  Hopefully McNeil is ready to be "the guy" at 2B, but its too early to say there.
  • 3B may still be a gaping hole moving forward, despite Davis' early success. 
  • Pete Alonso is looking awesome, but let's re-visit in a few months.
  • Lagares hits Free Agency this offseason and Keon Broxton is a JAG. 

No argument, except I have faith in the Alonso, Davis, McNeil, Conforto group being a solid core for years to come.

Lagares is an injury waiting to happen. CF might become an issue soon...

I agree about Cano. In the post ped era, 38 is pushing it.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

No argument, except I have faith in the Alonso, Davis, McNeil, Conforto group being a solid core for years to come.

Lagares is an injury waiting to happen. CF might become an issue soon...

I agree about Cano. In the post ped era, 38 is pushing it. 

I was more or less just pointing out that, no matter what, we're going to need to add another OF into the mix eventually.  Nimmo, Conforto, ???

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

They will need to sign a CF, after Lagares' contract is done after this year ($9m)

Unfortunately, there's no intriguing names on the UFA market in 2020.  32-year old Leonys Martin is probably the best option. 

Starling Marte (31) and Billy Hamilton (29) have club options of $11.5M and $7.5M, respectively.  Marte would be too rich for our blood.  Maybe Billy Hamilton, if the Royals let him walk?

I was more or less just pointing out that, no matter what, we're going to need to add another OF into the mix eventually.  Nimmo, Conforto, ???

Unfortunately, there's no intriguing names on the UFA market in 2020.  32-year old Leonys Martin is probably the best option. 

Starling Marte (31) and Billy Hamilton (29) have club options of $11.5M and $7.5M, respectively.  Marte would be too rich for our blood.  Maybe Billy Hamilton, if the Royals let him walk?

I’m happy with  Nimmo and Conforto out there, the announcers were saying last night that Davis was going to start taking fly balls in an effort to get some ab’s as an outfielder, just like McNeil did in the spring along with D. Smith.

But we’re going to need a true CF, and after you just listed our options for next year, Lagares isn’t sounding like the worst option after all. Has to prove he can stay healthy though...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Really, with the young bats that the Mets are developing right now, Broxton in CF as a hold over for a year or 2  (Cespedes contract is done in 2020), works. Need a defensive CF in Citi.

I guess the "Hysteria" over Zack Wheeler can now be put to rest...  The fact of the matter is that, age notwithstanding, he is a better pitcher than Noah Syndergaard, and probably will be going forward.  Not signing him to an extension would be a mistake, and if they lose him to free agency after the year, they will long regret it. 

Todd Frazier just hit a grand slam.  Life is good.  Michael Conforto has officially made the transition.  He is now a Bona Fide Star in this league going forward.  Strikeouts down, going the other way,  "sitting on his pitch",  All good stuff.  Also, to any of us who have any remaining doubts about McNeil, forget about them.  He is the real deal.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1