2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

32EBoozer

10 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I guess the "Hysteria" over Zack Wheeler can now be put to rest...  The fact of the matter is that, age notwithstanding, he is a better pitcher than Noah Syndergaard, and probably will be going forward.  Not signing him to an extension would be a mistake, and if they lose him to free agency after the year, they will long regret it. 

Todd Frazier just hit a grand slam.  Life is good.  Michael Conforto has officially made the transition.  He is now a Bona Fide Star in this league going forward.  Strikeouts down, going the other way,  "sitting on his pitch",  All good stuff.  Also, to any of us who have any remaining doubts about McNeil, forget about them.  He is the real deal.

LOVE Jacob Rhame. Good for you kid. Come up and not afraid to pitch inside when two of your players got plunked the night before. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I guess the "Hysteria" over Zack Wheeler can now be put to rest...  The fact of the matter is that, age notwithstanding, he is a better pitcher than Noah Syndergaard, and probably will be going forward.  Not signing him to an extension would be a mistake, and if they lose him to free agency after the year, they will long regret it. 

Todd Frazier just hit a grand slam.  Life is good.  Michael Conforto has officially made the transition.  He is now a Bona Fide Star in this league going forward.  Strikeouts down, going the other way,  "sitting on his pitch",  All good stuff.  Also, to any of us who have any remaining doubts about McNeil, forget about them.  He is the real deal.

What a gem that was Wheeler threw last night, huh?

Wasn't too shabby with the bat either....

• Upvote 2

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1

I guess the "Hysteria" over Zack Wheeler can now be put to rest...  The fact of the matter is that, age notwithstanding, he is a better pitcher than Noah Syndergaard, and probably will be going forward. 

I traded for Wheeler in fantasy back on April 3rd.  Only had to give up Stephen Piscotty and Archie Bradley to get him.  :)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

EDIT

I always wondered how people double post... now I have to figure out how I triple post. :dohslap:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Well at least there's a good hockey game on now... OT in game 7 Caps-Canes. :rolleyes:

As a NC resident with lots of family and friends in Raleigh, I'm very happy to see the Canes move on. 

I didn't even know they made the playoffs as recently as 11 days ago, and now they're in the 2nd round.  Very nice to see for a franchise that has stumbled along for the last 13 years.

Really irritated right now so I don't want to say too much, so I'll make it short.....

1]  Noah Syndergaard needs to stop being so impressed with himself, grow some balls, and grow up. Fast. His act is getting old.

2]   I had had my fill of Travis d'Arnaud.  Can't hit, can't throw, can't catch.  Get him out of here.  Bring up Nito, ready or not.                  Cut him, trade him, demote him, I don't care.

3]   Jeurys Familia too.  He looks dazed and confused.  He is a veteran pitcher.  Act like one.

4]   This pitching coach needs to start doing his job.  If he can't maybe he needs to go find another one.  The staff as a whole is             underperforming.  Starters  and bullpen.  That is too much of a coincidence.  Take hold of the situation and fix it.                         That's what you're here for.

5]   I am also sick of the casual sloppiness in the field.  The erstwhile camp counselor/manager, needs to stop being everybody's             pal and start acting like a manager.

6]   Ahmed Rosario needs to realize that the most important part of being a major league shortstop is to be a good fielder.                       Concentrate and play.

That being said, I am happy with the effort and resilience of the young positional players. Some consolation in a dark                            period.

• Sympathy 1

Just a short post to follow Mr. Sunshine, LOL.

It's a long season. The schedule has been a bitch, except for 3 games against Miami. We're going through a rough patch, but we'll be ok. Defense was never going to be a strong suit with this team, we're going to have to live with that.

If the starters, Matz and Syndegaard, I'm looking at you, don't lead this team we're screwed. These guys aren't young pups anymore, I wouldn't blame the pitching coach, Joe. Familia is a bum, no surprise, and he kills us in the 8th.

Rosario, I've never been a fan of, but you like him. Don't get down on him this soon. I think he's pressing, he'll settle down, at least with the glove. 

• Haha 1

Apr 27, 2019; New York City, NY, USA; New York Mets catcher Travis d'Arnaud (18) is tagged out at second base by Milwaukee Brewers second baseman Mike Moustakas (11) trying to stretch a single into a double during the seventh inning at Citi Field. Mandatory Credit: Andy Marlin-USA TODAY Sports (Andy Marlin) Apr 27, 2019; New York City, NY, USA; New York Mets catcher Travis d'Arnaud (18) is tagged out at second base by Milwaukee Brewers second baseman Mike Moustakas (11) trying to stretch a single into a double during the seventh inning at Citi Field. Mandatory Credit: Andy Marlin-USA TODAY Sports (Andy Marlin)

Travis d'Arnaud entered the season on a short leash while his recovery from Tommy John surgery served as a constant hurdle. 

The Mets have acted on that thinking, designating the catcher for assignment Sunday and recalling Tomas Nido from Triple-A Syracuse to take over backup duties behind the plate.

d'Arnaud came to the Mets in 2012 in the trade that sent R.A. Dickey to Toronto. He was the key piece in that swap, with Noah Syndergaard actually serving as the additional piece in the package. 

"What we've seen from Travis, it's been tough," manager Mickey Callaway said. " ... We have tough decisions to make, and obviously this is a tough one."

But d'Arnaud never fully grew into the hitter he was projected to be and defensive issues -- aside from commendable pitch framing -- disgruntled him among the fanbase. This year, d'Arnaud had two hits in 25 plate appearances -- he was thrown out at second base trying for a double Saturday, which was his final hit before being DFA'd. 

A checkered injury history marked d'Arnaud's time with the Mets, culminating with Tommy John in 2018 that cost him nearly the entire season. The Mets ultimately tendered him a contract for 2019, even with the signing of Wilson Ramos to take over as the everyday catcher. 

But d'Arnaud could not produce enough to hold onto his backup role. 

Over his seven-year career with the Mets, the 30-year-old batted .242 with 42 homers. 

Nido is no better. Someone find Mesoraco's phone number...

Frankly everything Joe said goes double for me. Thor's act is running extremely thin right now. It was always going to be that as soon as they hit, the pitching would go to hell...but it's nonetheless maddening.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Really irritated right now so I don't want to say too much, so I'll make it short.....

1]  Noah Syndergaard needs to stop being so impressed with himself, grow some balls, and grow up. Fast. His act is getting old.

2]   I had had my fill of Travis d'Arnaud.  Can't hit, can't throw, can't catch.  Get him out of here.  Bring up Nito, ready or not.                  Cut him, trade him, demote him, I don't care.

3]   Jeurys Familia too.  He looks dazed and confused.  He is a veteran pitcher.  Act like one.

4]   This pitching coach needs to start doing his job.  If he can't maybe he needs to go find another one.  The staff as a whole is             underperforming.  Starters  and bullpen.  That is too much of a coincidence.  Take hold of the situation and fix it.                         That's what you're here for.

5]   I am also sick of the casual sloppiness in the field.  The erstwhile camp counselor/manager, needs to stop being everybody's             pal and start acting like a manager.

6]   Ahmed Rosario needs to realize that the most important part of being a major league shortstop is to be a good fielder.                       Concentrate and play.

That being said, I am happy with the effort and resilience of the young positional players. Some consolation in a dark                            period.

As I have said many times here, Syndergaard is a thrower, not a pitcher. Headstrong Texas kid that throws straight and can't adjust.

d'Arnaud is just painful to watch. Glad he is gone. 

R A Dickey trade does not look so good in retrospect.

• Sympathy 1

Ok so a nice win. We avoid getting swept, and Matz throws another nice game. This guy is starting to make a believer out of me. Finally.

I love that Davis got the big pinch hit. I’d like to see him back at 3rd every day instead of Frazier. I think we have it backwards with the older vet playing and the kid on the bench.

The team is in a good place, especially considering what we’ve gotten from deGrom and Goldilocks. I’m not worried about Jake, but like it or not we’ll need both of them if we’re going to go anywhere.

• Sympathy 1

UGH. That's all I got... just UGH.

Oh yeah, except for one thing. F**k Todd Frazier. Can we get him the hell out of here now? How is he any different then d'Arnaud? Can someone please explain how keeping him around makes this a better team going forward?

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, JiF said:

Pete Alonso is a Gator.  Just want to remind everyone real quick. 

And Jeff McNeil was a 27 year old "marginal prospect" who couldn't field and whose "skill sets" did not translate  well to the major league level, according to the previous Met "braintrust".  How did they miss that one?  Especially with all of the minor league talent "evaluators", and Directors of Minor League Operations, that Sandy Alderson brought into the fold.

Don't know what Jeff McNeil is, or where he came from, but I have a question.  "Can we please get some more of those?"

• Upvote 3

I actually really like where this team is right now. A fantastic young core of offensive players that are keeping the team around .500. Pitching problems are more easily solved than hitting problems. The Mets have some veteran assets that they can hopefully turn around into some solutions once the deadline starts approaching.  So long as the team is at .500 at the break with no major injuries we're fine.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hey, you can pitch to contact and actually make it work. Needs to be noted though, the Reds have been a dismal offensive team

The biggest difference today was the curve ball and the mixing up of his arsenal.  The curve ball was devastating and set everything else up.  Made his fastball unhittable. 

Noah had of late fallen in love with, and overutilized his slider.  The brilliant usage of the curve was the key.

Seemed more aggressive in the strike zone too.  More inside riders and pitched up in the strike zone.  He had "no hitter" stuff today.  At least two of the three hits against him were on weak defensive swings.  I hope a bell went off in his head.  This was the Noah Syndergaard, we all fell in love with.

If he pitches like this for an extended length of time, teams will be in a world of hurt.  Let's hope it continues.

• Upvote 1

Wow. A sign of life in this thread!!! :dohslap:

We just saw a very good performance by the entire starting rotation. All 5 pitched very well this week. The bats are cooling off a bit, but that was to be expected. 

Diaz gave up 2 homers (wtf?) but he's a ride or die this season, I don't think we have to worry about him. Familia on the other hand has one foot out the door, hopefully the other follows quickly.

Keep the kids in the lineup. I want to see more of Davis and D. Smith. Frazier and "the ghost of Lowrie" should both be on the block for bullpen arms. Or anything young and of value...

This would be a nice time to go on a sporty little 9 of 12 run to announce this teams intentions toward the NL East this season. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Wow. A sign of life in this thread!!! :dohslap:

We just saw a very good performance by the entire starting rotation. All 5 pitched very well this week. The bats are cooling off a bit, but that was to be expected. 

Diaz gave up 2 homers (wtf?) but he's a ride or die this season, I don't think we have to worry about him. Familia on the other hand has one foot out the door, hopefully the other follows quickly.

Keep the kids in the lineup. I want to see more of Davis and D. Smith. Frazier and "the ghost of Lowrie" should both be on the block for bullpen arms. Or anything young and of value...

This would be a nice time to go on a sporty little 9 of 12 run to announce this teams intentions toward the NL East this season. 

Wish there was someway to get D Smith and Alonso on the field at the same time.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Wish there was someway to get D Smith and Alonso on the field at the same time.  

You're right, its not the best thing to have him sitting on the bench. It doesn't help him, and one of our most valuable young assets is gathering dust. They had him taking fly balls in the OF this spring, guess it didn't work out. I'd be willing to give it another shot though. This team is never going to be good defensively anyway.

I know its only May 3, but this rosters picture has come into focus very quickly. Its clear where help is needed. a bullpen arm or two, catcher and another decent defensive minded OF wouldn't hurt either. 

The Mets are really not far from being a solid ball club, just a few tweaks here or there. Smith, Frazier and Familia should be pieces we look to use to get us some help.

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You're right, its not the best thing to have him sitting on the bench. It doesn't help him, and one of our most valuable young assets is gathering dust. They had him taking fly balls in the OF this spring, guess it didn't work out. I'd be willing to give it another shot though. This team is never going to be good defensively anyway.

I know its only May 3, but this rosters picture has come into focus very quickly. Its clear where help is needed. a bullpen arm or two, catcher and another decent defensive minded CF wouldn't hurt either. 

The Mets are really not far from being a solid ball club, just a few tweaks here or there. Smith, Frazier and Familia should be pieces we look to use to get us some help.

What's up bro??  A couple of things....  

1]  Bullpen.  Familia is not going anywhere, although they should take him out of the eighth inning role, and put Lugo/Gsellman  there.   He seems to be getting a little better, although strikes/walks  continue to be a problem.  Blockhead.  You're right about Diaz, ride or die, he will be fine.  Just a blip.  As for the rest, it's a work in progress.  Gagnon/Rhame have not been horrible, help from outside the organization seems doubtful.

2]  As for the at bats, it's on Chili Davis to reiterate to the batters what the "approach" should be and get them back on track. Seems like a few have lost their way with the "move the line" mantra.  Surprisingly, the youngsters aren't the ones who have changed their approach, although Alonso's swing has gotten a bit long.  Ramos has hurt them of late.  Nimmo has killed them at times.  And Frazier, ughhh.  Sorry, never liked him much.  The lack of Davis spark has hurt them.  You're wrong about Lowrie.  He will be a useful contributor for us this season, especially late in the season, and if we get to the postseason, G-d willing.  Conforto's average has slipped, but I still like the way he's playing.

3]  Dominic Smith is being underutilized, that's unfortunate.  At this point it can't be helped.  The outfield experiment didn't really fail, it's just that those starts/ at bats have been given to McNeil.  Can't blame them.  He has to play every day, they didn't count on that.  Pinch hitting. late inning defense, and an occasional start is all he'll have for now.  The Frazier logjam at third has also contributed to this.  Lowrie's eventual return won't help that situation.  Four capable third basemen, who's have thunk it?  Overkill.

4]  As for the holes that need fixing,  catcher is not a concern to me.  Thomas Nido is a capable backup an will hit some.  Defensively he is fine.  I don't want Mesoraco back.  Nido is better, and Mesoraco and his "demands" turned me off.  Plus he can't hit.  Strikeout machine.  As for the center fielder, I don't think it's necessary either.  We have defensive help in the minor leagues, Gregor Blanco and Rajai Davis can both play the position well defensively.  Broxton has been fine defensively, although he can't a lick.  Lagares has been fine, overall.

I think the club is pretty solid overall, better than it has been in years. Patience.  

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

What's up bro??  A couple of things....  

1]  Bullpen.  Familia is not going anywhere, although they should take him out of the eighth inning role, and put Lugo/Gsellman  there.   He seems to be getting a little better, although strikes/walks  continue to be a problem.  Blockhead.  You're right about Diaz, ride or die, he will be fine.  Just a blip.  As for the rest, it's a work in progress.  Gagnon/Rhame have not been horrible, help from outside the organization seems doubtful.

2]  As for the at bats, it's on Chili Davis to reiterate to the batters what the "approach" should be and get them back on track. Seems like a few have lost their way with the "move the line" mantra.  Surprisingly, the youngsters aren't the ones who have changed their approach, although Alonso's swing has gotten a bit long.  Ramos has hurt them of late.  Nimmo has killed them at times.  And Frazier, ughhh.  Sorry, never liked him much.  The lack of Davis spark has hurt them.  You're wrong about Lowrie.  He will be a useful contributor for us this season, especially late in the season, and if we get to the postseason, G-d willing.  Conforto's average has slipped, but I still like the way he's playing.

3]  Dominic Smith is being underutilized, that's unfortunate.  At this point it can't be helped.  The outfield experiment didn't really fail, it's just that those starts/ at bats have been given to McNeil.  Can't blame them.  He has to play every day, they didn't count on that.  Pinch hitting. late inning defense, and an occasional start is all he'll have for now.  The Frazier logjam at third has also contributed to this.  Lowrie's eventual return won't help that situation.  Four capable third basemen, who's have thunk it?  Overkill.

4]  As for the holes that need fixing,  catcher is not a concern to me.  Thomas Nido is a capable backup an will hit some.  Defensively he is fine.  I don't want Mesoraco back.  Nido is better, and Mesoraco and his "demands" turned me off.  Plus he can't hit.  Strikeout machine.  As for the center fielder, I don't think it's necessary either.  We have defensive help in the minor leagues, Gregor Blanco and Rajai Davis can both play the position well defensively.  Broxton has been fine defensively, although he can't a lick.  Lagares has been fine, overall.

I think the club is pretty solid overall, better than it has been in years. Patience.  

All good points buddy. I'm with you on this, we both really like this teams potential. Just like our young players, this team has a big upside.

It's the best looking group we've had in years, and I'm really confident we're a solid contender. The starting pitching looks like its ready to get on a roll. The quality of arms we have should carry us through a six month marathon better then anything our 3 main rivals can put out there.

The point of my earlier posts was to point out not only the strength of this roster, but to show how minor the problems are. This club looks to be put together better then our NL East competition, especially with the insanely overrated Bryce Harper already what I thought he would become in the eyes of the Philly fan base. That situation is only going to get worse.

I think we can look forward to is BVW being much more proactive then Alderson also. He strikes me as the type who isn't going to sit back and accept mediocrity. I think he'll be constantly looking to tweak this roster, then come July look to make a bold move if needed to get us over the top. Don't forget Cespedes. If he can come back in the second half, this will be a devastating lineup. I'm not confident he gets back to where he was, but man it would be great if he could. 

• Upvote 1