Discussion on centers

CTJetsFan

Heard the guys on Sirius talking about centers last night and their value in the draft.

Their feeling seemed to be you can find a starter late in the draft. The specific example they brought up was David Andrews of the Pats who was an UDFA.

Not sure about how many other quality starting centers were late picks or UDFAs, but found it interesting.

I'm sure it helps that Scarnecchia is his OL coach.

8 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Heard the guys on Sirius talking about centers last night and their value in the draft.

Their feeling seemed to be you can find a starter late in the draft. The specific example they brought up was David Andrews of the Pats who was an UDFA.

Not sure about how many other quality starting centers were late picks or UDFAs, but found it interesting.

I'm sure it helps that Scarnecchia is his OL coach.

Based on Mac's history so far it sure seems like he subscribes to the theory of "You can get an OL later"... 

But who knows? Things change and he might be more willing now to address that line... He already pulled the trigger on that trade. 

1 minute ago, frankiepapa said:

Didn't the Jets extend Harrison?  I would love an upgrade but he might be our guy for at least this year....

I think it puts us in position that if the rookie is totally not ready and falling on his face, we have another option that can start for a few weeks or even year until the kid gets up to speed.

The point here is that while it may be possible, you can't afford to go into the season relying on that hope.  Mac must get a center asap.

And the belief that Harrison is "head and shoulders" better than Wesley Johnson is just a "hope and a prayer".  Johnson 'graded out well' the last few games of the season before he started and he made the entire offense worse than it already was.  Harrison should not be relied upon for anything other than depth.

7 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Based on Mac's history so far it sure seems like he subscribes to the theory of "You can get an OL later"... 

But who knows? Things change and he might be more willing now to address that line... He already pulled the trigger on that trade. 

I'm not sure his theory is "later" or "never" based on the amount of O-linemen he has drafted lol.

Center remains a big need for Jets. I've been told NYJ had discussions with the top 2 free-agent centers--Mitch Morse & Matt Paradis-- but never actually made an offer to either one of them. Jets have reached out to available vets to gauge market value. Plus, draft is an option

13 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Hey, that new Left Guard we got is already cool and tough. Said to Sam "I am your body guard now".

3 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Hey, that new Left Guard we got is already cool and tough. Said to Sam "I am your body guard now".

For sure! That's partly what gives me hope that maybe Mac moved the OL up on his list of needs... I hope he isn't done with just one piece.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Frank Pollack one of the best OL coaches in the league? Have him scout college C or look at some tape and ask him for some names he'd want. I'd have to think at least 1 or 2 of those kids would be around to snag late, right?

Bradberry from NCState is the NEXT Mangold. When his name first popped up in late December, I kept hearing 2nd-3rd rounder. After the combine and interviews he's now a sure-fire 1st rounder. Similar to how Billy Price from OSU shot up from a mid-2nd round talent to being picked by the Bengals at #21 overall. 

With Osmele & Winters (for now) bookending the Center, and Harrison as a reserve who started 1/2 the season, drafting a rookie center to plug & play in the middle of those veterans is the most practical way to go w/out overcommitting on a JAG who is being paid a premium due to our Dire Straits at the position. 

here's a fun fact the Jets took Geno Smith 10 picks in the 2nd round before Le'Veon Bell

the draft can solve your problems if you make good draft picks.  

the discussion of drafting centers is moot because the Jets aren't going to do it

neither Gase nor Mac care about drafting centers in the top 100 picks 

if I had to bet they go defender at 3, CB/OLB or a position no one expects like TE with the rd 3 picks 

if we are being honest there are holes all over the roster, center isn't even the worst RN

12 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

The point here is that while it may be possible, you can't afford to go into the season relying on that hope.  Mac must get a center asap.

And the belief that Harrison is "head and shoulders" better than Wesley Johnson is just a "hope and a prayer".  Johnson 'graded out well' the last few games of the season before he started and he made the entire offense worse than it already was.  Harrison should not be relied upon for anything other than depth.

Exactly this.

The position certainly could potentially be filled with a mid-round pick, but that doesn't make it any less idiotic for your entire plan to be reliant on that happening.  That's the kind of situation that can easily result in excessive reaching for a player and/or poorly filled positions.

20 minutes ago, KRL said:

Center remains a big need for Jets. I've been told NYJ had discussions with the top 2 free-agent centers--Mitch Morse & Matt Paradis-- but never actually made an offer to either one of them. Jets have reached out to available vets to gauge market value. Plus, draft is an option

This is baffling to me...

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Exactly this.

The position certainly could potentially be filled with a mid-round pick, but that doesn't make it any less idiotic for your entire plan to be reliant on that happening.  That's the kind of situation that can easily result in excessive reaching for a player and/or poorly filled positions.

Adrien Clarke 

guard-adrien-clarke-of-the-new-york-jets

:x

This is worrying. My last hope was that Mac was talking with a team about trading someone. That doesn’t seem to be the case.

Hopefully we get a starter in the draft, sign a vet now for depth. Harrison will most likely start the season, which is concerning regardless of how well he played last year.

22 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Frank Pollack one of the best OL coaches in the league? Have him scout college C or look at some tape and ask him for some names he'd want. I'd have to think at least 1 or 2 of those kids would be around to snag late, right?

I heard the same presentation on Sirius and it makes sense.  

I have no doubt that there will be Center available with our first pick in the 3rd round who could start and upgrade Harrison, if we pick the right guy.

But that presumes that Mac puts premium value on that position and does not take a gadget WR over the Center who could start.

Elflein did have a rough sophomore season, but he would have started for the Jets in his rookie year, and he played well that year for a great MN team.  Instead Mac traded down to take Stewart and Hansen.  Just stupid.  

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if we are being honest there are holes all over the roster, center isn't even the worst RN

• I agree that there are holes all over the roster.
  • Center is at least tied for the worst, if we think Shell is back this year.  If we are trying to support Darnold, starting Harrison is a big hole.  
    • The other hole is CB2.  Roberts and Harrison may be a wash.  

Just now, varjet said:
  • I agree that there are holes all over the roster.
  • Center is at least tied for the worst, if we think Shell is back this year.  If we are trying to support Darnold, starting Harrison is a big hole.  
    • The other hole is CB2.  Roberts and Harrison may be a wash.  

They are going to sign Travis Swanson or whoever and it will probably be fine. Can Brian Winters play center? didn't they try him there back in 15? 

They don't have an OLB1 or a CB2, IMO those are worse needs. And if Bosa is sitting there they won't get that OLB in rd 1.  TE1 herndon is going to be suspended for a couple of games that's a pretty bad need. RB2 is McGuire that's OK not great. There's alot of ways this draft works out with them not taking a lineman until day 3. 

41 minutes ago, KRL said:

If the Jet didn't even make an offer to either Morse or Paradis, doesn't it seem like Gase is good with Harrison?  Guy played pretty well last year.  Don't know what makes anyone think what's left in FA, or a late round draft pick is going to be any better

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

unless they get bosa i don't see this happening.  i hope they're prepared to trade back.

keep in mind Mac hasn't drafted a lineman high since he's been here (and the best one he's drafted was Shell in rd 5).

in 2016  Gase reportedly got into a screaming match with Dolphins owner Ross about paying money for guards (Gase was against it). 

who is going to pound the table for the line? 

prediction: line is not going to be a high draft priority, they will get guys but none as impactful as KO. prepare your body for this outcome 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

keep in mind Mac hasn't drafted a lineman high since he's been here (and the best one he's drafted was Shell in rd 5).

in 2016  Gase reportedly got into a screaming match with Dolphins owner Ross about paying money for guards (Gase was against it). 

prediction: line is not going to be a high draft priority, they will get guys but none as impactful as KO. prepare your body for this outcome 

didn't they draft tunsil in the first round under gase?

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

It may be when Gregg Williams starts bragging how his defense is gonna kick our o-line's a@@, that maybe someone will recognize that it needs to be addressed.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

didn't they draft tunsil in the first round under gase?

that is a valid point but keep in mind 1) HCs don't make first round draft picks 2) Gase was hired in late Jan with the 2016 draft process in full swing.

Tunsil was a Mike Tannenbaum pick through and through. 

Tanny still works for the Dolphins in some capacity even though not the GM anymore. 

That isn't to say mac wouldn't take an elite OT at 3 but that guy isn't in this draft 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

that is a valid point but keep in mind 1) HCs don't make first round draft picks 2) Gase was hired in late Jan with the 2016 draft process in full swing.

Tunsil was a Mike Tannenbaum pick through and through. 

Tanny still works for the Dolphins in some capacity even though not the GM anymore. 

That isn't to say mac wouldn't take an elite OT at 3 but that guy isn't in this draft 

if the jets trade back in the first round it seems there's more than a 50% chance they go OL in round 1.  if they stay at 3 i guess it's D.

it's tough to see a draft where they go either Q or allen in round 1 at #3, then use one of those 3rd rounders on the secondary and the other on offense but not on the OL.  i just can't see them doing this again this year.

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They are going to sign Travis Swanson or whoever and it will probably be fine. Can Brian Winters play center? didn't they try him there back in 15? 

They don't have an OLB1 or a CB2, IMO those are worse needs. And if Bosa is sitting there they won't get that OLB in rd 1.  TE1 herndon is going to be suspended for a couple of games that's a pretty bad need. RB2 is McGuire that's OK not great. There's alot of ways this draft works out with them not taking a lineman until day 3. 

Harrison will be better supported having Osmele versus Carpenter... Harrison is more of a JAG then a hole... he isn't the worst option... He is replaceable and can and should be upgraded but saying that he is a hole is just incorrect... 

Archived