Offensive Line or Bust!

JetsLife

I think building a dominant o line just makes so much sense now:

Future HOF RB, talented budding QB, a decent fleet of receiving weapons including Crowder. I think the Crowder addition is huge. An elite slot receiver like that unlocks the whole offense at times.

So it just makes sense to round out the offense with a great o line. Can Jets do it between now and week 1? Well unless Maccagnan essentially focuses this year's draft ammo and maybe future years, it's going to be hard. As great o linemen don't come cheap.

I know the draft is strong at pass rusher, but I just like the idea of making a formidable o line at this moment in Jets history.

I would like (in addition to a trip to Europe) the following come end of April's draft;

Round 1: BA Pass rusher

Round 3A: BA Center

Round 3B: BA LT

Round 4: BA swing G/T

And on and on and on.  Only taking the pass rusher in the top of the draft because there are no OL worthy of a pick that high. I played Oline in HS football so I know the importance of it since before I started the QB got his ribs broken. Then as the LG I made sure that never happened again.

6 hours ago, JetsLife said:

I think building a dominant o line just makes so much sense now:

Future HOF RB, talented budding QB, a decent fleet of receiving weapons including Crowder. I think the Crowder addition is huge. An elite slot receiver like that unlocks the whole offense at times.

So it just makes sense to round out the offense with a great o line. Can Jets do it between now and week 1? Well unless Maccagnan essentially focuses this year's draft ammo and maybe future years, it's going to be hard. As great o linemen don't come cheap.

I know the draft is strong at pass rusher, but I just like the idea of making a formidable o line at this moment in Jets history.

Mac doesn't give a sh*t about the OL. Haven't you figured that out yet?

4 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I would like (in addition to a trip to Europe) the following come end of April's draft;

And on and on and on.  Only taking the pass rusher in the top of the draft because there are no OL worthy of a pick that high. I played Oline in HS football so I know the importance of it since before I started the QB got his ribs broken. Then as the LG I made sure that never happened again.

I agree. Round 1 has to be pass rusher unless a trade back occurs.

round 3 HAS to be a center unless all the centers that are projected to be there are gone. Hope someone falls to us.

Brian Winters: PFF grade:-62.6- Average

Brandon Shell: PFF grade:-62.7-Average

Kelvin Beachum: PFF grade:-65.9-Above Average

Jonotthan Harrison: PFF grade-54.1- Below Average

Kelechi Osemele: PFF grade- 53.7- Below average (also named in PFF's top ten bound to bounce back in 2019 by Mike Renner)

So obviously the weak link is center

After Phins cut LG Sitton, it was tweeted Jets probably had the inside track of getting him because Gase likes him. And he knows the system.  If healthy he's much better then Winters.  Others here were excited because  Sitton effectively played center for about 8 games. So there's versatility.  At 33 y.o. he's not a long term answer. But is worth a short  1-2 year contract.    

I've heard no news about him.  That could be good news if he's already indicated he wants to play again for Gase, since he played very well in his system at Miami. 

Hopefully Sitton is healthy and just waiting for Mac to get back to him. I'm sure Mac is focusing on a pass rusher and maybe CB-WR.

Guess we need to be patient and see what happens.

1 minute ago, jetscrazey said:

PFF grades are not everything.  Shell was the best player on the OL last season.  Beachum was good, not great, but good.  The 3 interior guys were not very good, but Winters was better than Long and Carpenter.

I know they aren't everything, but I think they provide an idea of the nature. The Jets as of this moment really lack a center. That is the one place they need another player at least

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Should be notes that Winters plays better in a man blocking scheme instead if a zone. I think we will be running a man scheme, not 100% sure.

Either way, even if he improves, Winters’ replacement should be drafted somewhere in this draft. 

He's only 27 years old. My goodness, he seems like he's been here forever

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He's only 27 years old. My goodness, he seems like he's been here forever

I know because he is an Idzik pick. I like Winters, I think hes a tough and decent player. But we should looking to upgrade that position with some youth. He’ll be a free agent soon and will probably get more than he’s worth or that we should spend on him.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:54 PM, UnknownJetFan said:

I could roll with that. I'm also open to trading down so we can get help at CB, too. Pass rushers are a premium commodity, but teams like the Pats win with edge pass rushers not drafted high.

22 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Rd1- allen/bosa
Rd 2- C
Rd 3- CB
Rd 3- LT
Rd 4- RG
I dont care after those holes are filled

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

But we don't have a 2.

1: Allen/Bosa

3: C

3: T

4: CB/OL

And, since the Rams, Chiefs and Saints all have gaping holes at C, we may need to find a way to trade up ahead of them into the 50s to grab a Center, which would mean either giving up the 2nd 3 or the 4 to move up.  Really hope Macc can get something for Lee, cause we really could use an extra pick or two.

Id like to stay away from LT’s taken beyond round 2. The beasts are usually gone rounds 1/2. This draft is deep at Center & Guard.

I Think if the 3 picks we have in rounds 3/4, 1 should be on a center and 1 on a guard. We shoukd be able to get another guard for depth in round 5/6.

On 3/15/2019 at 6:17 PM, NYJ1 said:

Mac doesn't give a sh*t about the OL. Haven't you figured that out yet?

Gase isn't a believer in spending big bucks...and probably high draft choices...for the OL either. IMO Mac & Gase...are birds of a feather that have been flocked together.

Gase wants to have the QB  quickly get rid of the ball with passes within 10 yards area.  Bell and Crowder are ideal pieces to succeed in doing that.  This puts less pressure on the OL, and diminishes the effectiveness of a good pass rush.  With that approach...elite OL are not as necessary to Mac & Gase...to spend or draft high.

But I do think Jets will use the 3rd-4th rounds for at least one OL.  And also add CB. Then maybe RB or another TE.

I'm not really in agreement with their approach.  But in the end...you judge it by how W-L's turn out.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:11 PM, Jet Nut said:

Not if we can't trade down.  There isnt a OL worth taking at 3.  And I'll take Bosa or Allen over whoever else is floating around that spot

Don't get this thinking...I've seen multiple mocks with Jawaan Taylor OT going at like # 6 or 7.  If he's worth that pick at 6, I don't care if we take him at 3.  OR, if the pick at #3 is so light years ahead of the best OT or such a sure-fire thing no one can pass on that player, there should be some team willing to trade up.

Yes, we need a pass rusher...but we also need to protect our most important asset and keep him on his feet and healthy.

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Don't get this thinking...I've seen multiple mocks with Jawaan Taylor OT going at like # 6 or 7.  If he's worth that pick at 6, I don't care if we take him at 3.  OR, if the pick at #3 is so light years ahead of the best OT or such a sure-fire thing no one can pass on that player, there should be some team willing to trade up.

Yes, we need a pass rusher...but we also need to protect our most important asset and keep him on his feet and healthy.

Theres a huge drop off between Allen, Bosa or Williams and Taylor.  

1 hour ago, GreenReaper said:

Gase isn't a believer in spending big bucks...and probably high draft choices...for the OL either. IMO Mac & Gase...are birds of a feather that have been flocked together.

Gase wants to have the QB  quickly get rid of the ball with passes within 10 yards area.  Bell and Crowder are ideal pieces to succeed in doing that.  This puts less pressure on the OL, and diminishes the effectiveness of a good pass rush.  With that approach...elite OL are not as necessary to Mac & Gase...to spend or draft high.

But I do think Jets will use the 3rd-4th rounds for at least one OL.  And also add CB. Then maybe RB or another TE.

I'm not really in agreement with their approach.  But in the end...you judge it by how W-L's turn out.

I bet you by now that Gase is also tired of having to game plan with the knowledge that he has to play the back-up QB because the starter is on IR/DL after what transpired with Tannehill in MIA.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Theres a huge drop off between Allen, Bosa or Williams and Taylor.  

Then SOMEBODY should be willing/offering to trade up...at which point you draft the OT in 1st, and OC in the second IMO.

The draft is an absolute crap shoot.  I gagged when I saw Serby in the NYP mock Quinnen W to the Jets at #3...SMDH.  As if the NYJ have learned nothing over the past 10 yrs...personally, I hope they are smarter than that.  Wilkerson, Richardson, L Williams etc and all we have left is a decision of whether to extend Leo for like $14 mill/yr.  Good times.  Bosa is an injury question mark IMO, and Allen is no sure thing either.

I'd rather sign a FA pass rusher and trade back for taking OL men.  Worked for the Colts last yr pretty well.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah f'ug around for 4 drafts and don't give a sheet about the oline, then AFTER you get the QB now is the time to say hey! lets get oline!  But lets get the qb get killed for a few years until we can actually build it.

Not gonna debate how we go to this point, but the fact is...we are here.  We, supposedly, according to the majority here, now have our Franchise QB.  And, we just spent big bucks for a FA RB.  Only the NYJ would go into the season with the same OL as last year (decidedly average) and now with LESS depth (if that is possible) with a franchise QB it took YEARS to obtain and a potential HOF FA RB now signed.  I know...but wait!! we got Osemele!  He missed 6-7 games last yr too if I'm not mistaken.

Fix the OL...the 'new' NFL is ALL about offense and protecting your QB.  Even just an above average LT is like freaking GOLD as opposed to L Williams part deux who will want $14 million to have little impact week to week.

I know everyone wants a PR/Edge...so do I.  Some placeholders are available in FA though, unlike good OLmen.  Build your OL NOW while you have the chance by trading back if possible.

54 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I bet you by now that Gase is also tired of having to game plan with the knowledge that he has to play the back-up QB because the starter is on IR/DL after what transpired with Tannehill in MIA.

I'm concerned about protecting Darnold...keeping him upright and operating the offense. Rather then him having to focus on rehab.  In the end...Mac and Gase are responsible for the OL decisions they make.

If poor OL play causes Darnold a major injury and surgery...it's on them.  And us fans...?:Pain:

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Then SOMEBODY should be willing/offering to trade up...at which point you draft the OT in 1st, and OC in the second IMO.

The draft is an absolute crap shoot.  I gagged when I saw Serby in the NYP mock Quinnen W to the Jets at #3...SMDH.  As if the NYJ have learned nothing over the past 10 yrs...personally, I hope they are smarter than that.  Wilkerson, Richardson, L Williams etc and all we have left is a decision of whether to extend Leo for like $14 mill/yr.  Good times.  Bosa is an injury question mark IMO, and Allen is no sure thing either.

I'd rather sign a FA pass rusher and trade back for taking OL men.  Worked for the Colts last yr pretty well.

Should be sounds good.  You dont snap your fingers and get a fair offer to trade just because it would help you.  Not how it works

I dont understand why teams like us dont stock pile linemen.   We had 3x 6rd picks in 2017 and 2018 and we did not take 1 OT in entire draft.  Those type of picks go out and get BIG tackles , Centers! , projects. You get big men with attuides and teach them. 

8 hours ago, Jets723 said:

There is no OL that are better than the pass rushers we would be passing up unless we trade back.  I do think we will use one or both 3rd round picks on the OL

Agree with this.  If we stay at three, I don’t think we’re taking an offensive lineman until round three. 

If we trade down in the first, I’d love to take a tackle and a center in the first three rounds. 

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Under what criteria exactly?? 

LOL...exactly.  Kiper and McShay say so I guess....everyone's Nostradamus.  If you deem someone has high potential to be a good LT, you take them and protect the most important man on the damn field.

Look at the NYJ OL and DL, and tell me which at least on paper is the better unit with the better depth.

We need another OT and a OC in a bad way.

Archived