Ryan Tannehill traded to Titans

Patriot Killa

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The Giants really sound like they are sticking with Eli, to me. 

I agree about the Fins, but their ownership is supposedly committed to a proper rebuild, so I think it depends on how much they really like Rosen. I'm not a big Rosen guy and think the Dolphins would better off drafting their own dude next year (in what is likely to be a better QB draft)

Agree on Eli. But I can see them using the same model for Rosen like they did with a young Eli and Kurt Warner.  Hold a clipboard and learn to be a pro for a year...

An out and out rebuild is a good move for Miami. Tannehill was the definition of a "QB purgatory" signal caller, somebody who is largely mediocre but has just enough good games to keep around and not replace... for a while anyway. After getting another injury and turning the big 3-0 they had to see that his upside was gone and his potential tapped; they were never going to be much more than a 8-8 team that MIGHT make the playoffs with him.

Tennessee might be coming to a similar moment with Mariota who has looked rough lately after a decent start to his career.

Now the question is who will be Miami's QB going into this season? They're clearly not trying to compete but SOMEBODY halfway close to being a starter has to take the job. Will it really be Bortles? Or Fitzpatrick? All I know is I'll be pissed if the Jets don't take both games against them, they should be the clear cellar dwellers of the AFC east and perhaps the league at large.

9 hours ago, Blackout said:

I pray Miami doesn't sign Kaep like the rumors say. If so we're doomed.

Fins had interest in Kap in the past and and because of a PR nightmare over a Castro T-shirt passed on him. Nothing has changed to make him appear more friendly to the fan base.in my opinion. Fins are a circus right now bringing in Kap would bring out the media wolves.

The magic that is Mike Tannenbaum...

Dolphins will carry more than $18 million under the salary cap for Ryan Tannehill

Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2019, 10:29 AM EDT
gettyimages-1075928910-e1552746516497.jp
Getty Images

As the NFL salary cap climbs higher and higher, NFL teams become more and more willing to carry significant dead money for specific players.

This year alone, the Steelers will have former receiver Antonio Brown on the books for $21.12 million, and former Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. will count for $16 million. Next year, if Saints quarterback Drew Brees moves on, he’ll leave behind $21.3 million under the cap.

Former Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill has joined this not-so-exclusive club. The remainder of his signing bonus and a can-kicking restructuring bonus already meant that he’d count for $13.423 million this year, if released without a post-June 1 designation. The curious decision of the Dolphins to pay $5 million of his salary in order to get a seventh-round pick and a future fourth-round pick for Tannehill and a sixth-round pick increases the cap charge to a whopping $18.423 million.

Of course, keeping Tannehill would have cost $26.611 million under the cap, and $18.725 million in cash.  So the Dolphins created $8.188 million in cap space, spent $5 million to do it, and picked up a fourth-round pick next year while flip-flopping 2019 sixth- and seventh-round picks with the Titans.

While some are skewing reality to heap false praise on the Dolphins for doing something good, the bottom line is that the Dolphins were trying to make chicken salad. To do so, they crafted a convoluted recipe that had them essentially buying not quite a fourth-round pick in 2020 for $5 million, and pushing the dead cap money that will apply to Tannehill to nearly 10 percent of the entire 2019 salary cap.

19 minutes ago, slats said:

The magic that is Mike Tannenbaum...

Dolphins will carry more than $18 million under the salary cap for Ryan Tannehill

Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2019, 10:29 AM EDT
gettyimages-1075928910-e1552746516497.jp
Getty Images

As the NFL salary cap climbs higher and higher, NFL teams become more and more willing to carry significant dead money for specific players.

This year alone, the Steelers will have former receiver Antonio Brown on the books for $21.12 million, and former Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. will count for $16 million. Next year, if Saints quarterback Drew Brees moves on, he’ll leave behind $21.3 million under the cap.

Former Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill has joined this not-so-exclusive club. The remainder of his signing bonus and a can-kicking restructuring bonus already meant that he’d count for $13.423 million this year, if released without a post-June 1 designation. The curious decision of the Dolphins to pay $5 million of his salary in order to get a seventh-round pick and a future fourth-round pick for Tannehill and a sixth-round pick increases the cap charge to a whopping $18.423 million.

Of course, keeping Tannehill would have cost $26.611 million under the cap, and $18.725 million in cash.  So the Dolphins created $8.188 million in cap space, spent $5 million to do it, and picked up a fourth-round pick next year while flip-flopping 2019 sixth- and seventh-round picks with the Titans.

While some are skewing reality to heap false praise on the Dolphins for doing something good, the bottom line is that the Dolphins were trying to make chicken salad. To do so, they crafted a convoluted recipe that had them essentially buying not quite a fourth-round pick in 2020 for $5 million, and pushing the dead cap money that will apply to Tannehill to nearly 10 percent of the entire 2019 salary cap.

And this is the guy people were criticizing Gase for not winning with?  Next year's fourth rounder?

16 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Agree on Eli. But I can see them using the same model for Rosen like they did with a young Eli and Kurt Warner.  Hold a clipboard and learn to be a pro for a year...

Actually it was just 9 games Eli sat.. The Giants were 5-4 when Eli took over and went 1-6 the rest of the way..

22 hours ago, Losmeister said:

stats are funny on Tanny. he definaley throws a more accurate ball that MM. still...  for Titans fans...  pretty underwhelming.

they werent even interested in Teddy B? With agood run game ?

Titans like to make weird moves like signing Dion Lewis and then starting him over Derrick Henry when Henry is clearly the better player

On 3/15/2019 at 7:46 PM, J_Smith said:

If you look at career stats, Tannehill and mariota are the same QB. I think fans will be calling for Tannehill if they get off to a slow start

That's why we don't just look at stats, ryan has always looked better on paper than real life.  

Tannehill will be a good backup though, he's a backup in this league that was forced to start.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

That's why we don't just look at stats, ryan has always looked better on paper than real life.  

Tannehill will be a good backup though, he's a backup in this league that was forced to start.

I think it’s a potentially toxic situation.  I’m sure Tannehill still views himself as a starter and Mariota is not that good so this could end badly

Archived