Cowherd’s take on Bell to Jets

Patriot Killa

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s always acknowledged his abilities. From the start Cowherd has said that he doesn’t believe Mayfield will be a bust. He simply said you don’t take a 6’0 QB from a goofy offense who has tape of him drunkenly running from the cops, grabbing his dick and shouting f*ck you repeatedly at the opposing teams sideline, throwing a football at 2 TCU players, etc #1 overall.

And I’m right there with him

Mayfield absolutely surpassed my expectations as a rookie, no question there. But it’s undeniable that he’s an arrogant douche who is undersized at the position and has the potential to be a problem both on and off the field.

It’s been proven. It’s fact.

If he stays out of trouble and stays relatively healthy, I think he’s a Top 15 QB for around 8 years and is a fan favorite in Cleveland for an eternity. But there is absolutely an inherent danger with him.

Jeez. You're going to be miserable watching this guy continue to succeed, aren't you?

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s possible. A #2 pick is no bargain which is why positional value and contract amount should be factors with a high 1st round pick. Not enough of a “discount” with certain positions like running back. Now im curious haha. 

the #2 pick gets a rookie scale contract regardless of position so barkley signed a 4 year/ $31.2M deal. add in the 5th year option ($9.6M) and it averages to $8.16 AAV, the 5th highest salary right between freeman and mccoy

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

1202558413_ScreenShot2019-03-15at2_08_12PM.thumb.png.6fa4e22389b53d8e4709c37c25a739c6.png

Ok, now do what we do with Darnold, and every other rookie about to enter his second year.

Take out his rookie signing bonus, and tell us what he's actually going to earn each of the next 4 years. You know, like the 4 years we use as "the window to take advantage of our young QB's low cap hit???" 

3 minutes ago, cant wait said:

the #2 pick gets a rookie scale contract regardless of position so barkley signed a 4 year/ $31.2M deal. add in the 5th year option ($9.6M) and it averages to $8.16 AAV, the 5th highest salary right between freeman and mccoy

I know this. That’s why I stressed positional value with high picks. I was just curious what the amount was for the #2 pick and in relation to other running backs. 

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Jeez. You're going to be miserable watching this guy continue to succeed, aren't you?

Take Mayfield’s personality and then add Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry into the equation.

Two guys who may be old friends from college but are both known to bitch up a storm if they aren’t targeted 12 times a game.

That trio looks great on paper but tons of people including yourself are seemingly ignoring how incredibly combustible it all is. Especially with a guy like Kitchens running the show who just 6 months ago was working as Hue Jackson’s RB coach. Now he’s going to have to manage massive egos all over that team.

We’ll see how it goes

Cowherd is a shill and a fair-weather fan BUM who rants in an annoying voice like a coked-up Valley Girl. I HATE him and his pompous boot-licking to feel cool and "down" with his guests. Bill Burr put him in his place and exposed Cowherd as an idiotic fraud during an interview by calling him out and disagreeing whips points. 

AND SCHOOLED him on Baker Mayfield:

The ONLY reason to Watch Cowherd's $hit show in FX1 WAS because of K. Leahy, who is now no longer his side-kick hype woman like Robin to Howie Sternberg:

K1MxSqoB_400x400.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Could so some more squats and and leg curls, lol, jk.

kristine-leahy-at-2016-gracie-awards-05-

Sorry didn't mean to HiJack the Thread. 

Back to Stupid Band-wagon Colin Cow-Turd

18 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s always acknowledged his abilities. From the start Cowherd has said that he doesn’t believe Mayfield will be a bust. He simply said you don’t take a 6’0 QB from a goofy offense who has tape of him drunkenly running from the cops, grabbing his dick and shouting f*ck you repeatedly at the opposing teams sideline, throwing a football at 2 TCU players, etc #1 overall.

Mayfield absolutely surpassed my expectations as a rookie, no question there. But it’s undeniable that he’s an arrogant douche who is undersized at the position and has the potential to be a problem both on and off the field.

If he stays out of trouble and stays relatively healthy, I think he’s a Top 15 QB for around 8 years and is a fan favorite in Cleveland for an eternity. But there is absolutely an inherent danger with him.

Mayfield looked good as a rookie.  He is extremely accurate and will should complete near 70% of his passes this year.  But why do I feel like this team is a powder keg?  With a rookie coach, OBJ and Baker, if things go wrong they could go really wrong.

17 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

So then I should just ignore his repeated hyperbole that Mayfield was "undraftable" and had "no place in the NFL".  OK.  That's Cowherd for you.  You've got to ignore a lot of what he says that is sheer nonsense, like his occasional character assassination.   But lots of people like him.    

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Ok, now do what we do with Darnold, and every other rookie about to enter his second year.

Take out his rookie signing bonus, and tell us what he's actually going to earn each of the next 4 years. You know, like the 4 years we use as "the window to take advantage of our young QB's low cap hit???" 

DB1B8742-0C36-418C-AD1C-AC717D4320D4.thumb.png.3dd94e5a5011ee290f66cba68f1aabe0.png

The low cap hit is only low if it’s in relation to specific positions. $8mil/per year over the first 4 years of a 1st round pick’s contract is not “cheap for a running back. That’s why Barkley is considered 6th highest annually paid running back in the league. He’s at about a $4mil discount compared to the average of the top 5 running backs. 

A rookie QB like Sam averaging $7.5 mil/per for the 1st 4 years, is considered a HUGE discount relative to the average cost of a a starting QB. This is why Sam is only the 21st or so highest paid QB and at a “discount” of about $20 mil from the average cost of the top 5 QBs.

Hopefully that makes sense and a ball parked much of it. This is part of the reason why I bang the drum so hard for positional value with premium picks. Not just because they are premium positions that don’t typicslly hit FA, but also because of the efficiency of salary on a rookie deal for certain positions. It doesn’t matter as much for the 2nd half of the 1st round. It’s crucial in the top 10 picks though. 

Also, the signing bonus is spread out and he first 4 years are pretty even so no real difference in the first 4 years. 

11 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Mayfield looked good as a rookie.  He is extremely accurate and will should complete near 70% of his passes this year.  But why do I feel like this team is a powder keg?  With a rookie coach, OBJ and Baker, if things go wrong they could go really wrong.

He is and they are

QB’s who are as inherently accurate as Mayfield aren’t going to bust. He’ll at least carve out a solid career as an 8-10 year starter if he stays outs of trouble and doesn’t take a beating.

But those are two big question marks. The guy is undersized and has a history of doing dumb sh*t both on and off the field. Thems the facts.

Now you’ve added guys like Beckham, Hunt, etc on top of Mayfield and Landry with a career RB/TE coach tending to all of them.

It could be very explosive. In either a good way or a very bad one.

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I know this. That’s why I stressed positional value with high picks. I was just curious what the amount was for the #2 pick and in relation to other running backs. 

yeah there’s no deals at the top of the draft for RB’s, OG/C etc. you could make the argument that barkley is still an amazing deal at that number and probably be right, especially considering the overall amount of busted high picks. he was such a safe prospect in that respect that it mitigates the risk a bit of drafting him that high 

24 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Take Mayfield’s personality and then add Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry into the equation.

Two guys who may be old friends from college but are both known to bitch up a storm if they aren’t targeted 12 times a game.

That trio looks great on paper but tons of people including yourself are seemingly ignoring how incredibly combustible it all is. Especially with a guy like Kitchens running the show who just 6 months ago was working as Hue Jackson’s RB coach. Now he’s going to have to manage massive egos all over that team.

We’ll see how it goes

Actually we agree on the combustible thing. I left a post in another thread earlier today saying almost exactly what you just did. Believe me, I'm no fan of OBJ and divas like him. I see that WR tandem as the ultimate boom or bust scenario.

Where we do differ though is on Mayfield and his future, which is what you and I were talking about. Not the Browns roster, (I don't know why, but for some reason now you're talking about that.) You don't like Mayfield, I do. I see in him what people my age saw in Namath when he came to the Jets. Young, brash, ticked off a certain type of fan. But a leader, a clutch player that his teammates would run through a wall for.

I get it though, he's a polarizing figure. Fans either love him or hate him. Same thing with Namath BTW. My dad and Grandfather were Giant fans, hated Namath, and couldn't understand why I rooted for him and the Jets.

Not liking Mayfield is one thing. One thing you shouldn't argue though is how talented he is.  

23 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Cowherd is a shill and a fair-weather fan BUM who rants in an annoying voice like a coked-up Valley Girl. I HATE him and his pompous boot-licking to feel cool and "down" with his guests. Bill Burr put him in his place and exposed Cowherd as an idiotic fraud during an interview by calling him out and disagreeing whips points. 

AND SCHOOLED him on Baker Mayfield:

The ONLY reason to Watch Cowherd's $hit show in FX1 WAS because of K. Leahy, who is now no longer his side-kick hype woman like Robin to Howie Sternberg:

K1MxSqoB_400x400.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Could so some more squats and and leg curls, lol, jk.

kristine-leahy-at-2016-gracie-awards-05-

Sorry didn't mean to HiJack the Thread. 

Back to Stupid Band-wagon Colin Cow-Turd

That Burr guy is also a big prick.  Does he speak any English other than the “f” word at the top of his lungs?  Prick vs Prick.

34 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Hmmm, I apologize. I learned something. So Darnold's contract is just a bit less per year? I thought once the signing bonus was paid it was just their yearly salary.

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Hmmm, I apologize. I learned something. So Darnold's contract is just a bit less per year? I thought once the signing bonus was paid it was just their yearly salary.

it’s all good- yeah darnold is getting a bit less in guarantees, 4/30 but his 5th year option is a lot more because the QB number is a little under 21M whereas for RB it’s 9.6

42 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

DB1B8742-0C36-418C-AD1C-AC717D4320D4.thumb.png.3dd94e5a5011ee290f66cba68f1aabe0.png

The low cap hit is only low if it’s in relation to specific positions. $8mil/per year over the first 4 years of a 1st round pick’s contract is not “cheap for a running back. That’s why Barkley is considered 6th highest annually paid running back in the league. He’s at about a $4mil discount compared to the average of the top 5 running backs. 

A rookie QB like Sam averaging $7.5 mil/per for the 1st 4 years, is considered a HUGE discount relative to the average cost of a a starting QB. This is why Sam is only the 21st or so highest paid QB and at a “discount” of about $20 mil from the average cost of the top 5 QBs.

Hopefully that makes sense and a ball parked much of it. This is part of the reason why I bang the drum so hard for positional value with premium picks. Not just because they are premium positions that don’t typicslly hit FA, but also because of the efficiency of salary on a rookie deal for certain positions. It doesn’t matter as much for the 2nd half of the 1st round. It’s crucial in the top 10 picks though. 

Also, the signing bonus is spread out and he first 4 years are pretty even so no real difference in the first 4 years. 

OK I think I get it now. Thanks to you and the others for "learning" me something I didn't know.

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

OK I think I get it now. Thanks to you and the others for "learning" me something I didn't know.

That’s how I learned things. This board is a great resource. Maybe you understand the Jamal Adams criticism a little more now because his contract wasn’t much of a “discount” compared to other free agent safeties the last few years. 

After this offseason though and seeing what the market is, his contract isn’t so bad anymore relative to what a FA SS would cost. The Landon Collins deal as completely blown up the contracts of safeties going forward. 

It’s just a cap strategy that should be considered when drafting. 1 of the many factors with drafting a player. It’s not a set rule by any means. 

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s possible. A #2 pick is no bargain which is why positional value and contract amount should be factors with a high 1st round pick. Not enough of a “discount” with certain positions like running back. Now im curious haha. 

Barkley’s contract

Current Contract

Year Cap
Number
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total $31,194,750
2018 $5,671,773    
2019 $7,089,716
$25,522,977
($18,433,261)
2020 $8,507,659
$18,433,261
($9,925,602)
2021 $9,925,602
$9,925,602
$0

2019 salary from over the cap

Running Back Contracts

QuarterbackRunning BackFullbackWide ReceiverTight EndOffensive LineLeft TackleLeft GuardCenterRight GuardRight TackleDefensive LineInterior Defensive Line3-4 Defensive Tackle4-3 Defensive Tackle3-4 Defensive End4-3 Defensive EndEdge Rusher3-4 Outside LinebackerLinebackerTraditional Linebacker4-3 Outside LinebackerInside LinebackerDefensive BackCornerbackSafetyKickerPunterLong Snapper  Full Contract19891990199119921993199419951996199719981999200020012002200320042005200620072008200920102011201220132014201520162017201820192020202120222023
Player Total 
Value ▾
Avg./Year
Todd Gurley $57,500,000 $14,375,000
Le’Veon Bell $52,500,000 $13,125,000
Devonta Freeman $41,250,000 $8,250,000
LeSean McCoy $40,050,000 $8,010,000
David Johnson $39,000,000 $13,000,000
Saquon Barkley $31,194,750 $7,798,688
Jerick McKinnon $30,000,000 $7,500,000
Leonard Fournette $27,150,882 $6,786,894
Lamar Miller $26,000,000 $6,500,000
Ezekiel Elliott $24,956,338 $6,239,085
Dion Lewis $19,800,000 $4,950,000

Cowherd is friggin amazing. He pisses the common denominator off sometimes because he calls it like he sees it and doesn’t buy into BS. I don’t agree with everything he says but at least he has thoughtful opinions. He’s must listen to me.

Agree 100%. Last year at this time, I figured we had no shot at Sam so I started trying to convince myself Baker would be ok: “yeah he’s short, but so is Russell Wilson!”, “yeah he’s a douche, but we can overcome it”. Etc etc. man was I happy downs took him and we got Sam. Love having him as the face of the Jets. Still a bad taste in my mouth from Rex always boasting and talking smack.....

As for how Baker did last year? Look at those weapons he had! Now look at what Sam had! Last four games of the year, down to third and fourth string RBs, no Quincy, no Shell, Long had to be moved he was so bad, etc, and Sam was THE HIGHEST RATED QB over that span!

Now he has to build on that this year. And with the weapons we have gotten thus far (and hopefully more) I’m excited to see where this kid can take us. And even more excited to know that whether he wins or loses; whether he excels, or is the sole reason we lost, he will handle it with grace and not embarrass us Jets fans!

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

He was pumping up Darnold since before the draft last year. I'm sure he thought Darnold would be going to the Browns so he could still ride Brady's jock strap while rooting for a beaten down team. At the same time he was sh!tting on Baker because all the rumors were that he was going to the Jets. So not he has kind of pigeonholed himself into liking the Jets and this makes me happy.

If the Jets had Baker I guarantee his take would have been that this was the worst move ever because of the circus it will create.

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

He's on his rookie contract, so I doubt that. He's probably the best though.

Nice story though. Not true, but nice.

Hate to do this to you but @cant wait is right.  Saquon Barkley is currently #6 highest paid running back in the NFL. Didn't believe it either, so I checked.

Player Team Age Total 
Value
Avg./Year Total 
Guaranteed
Fully 
Guaranteed
Free 
Agency
Todd Gurley Rams 25 $57,500,000 $14,375,000 $45,000,000 $21,950,000 2024 UFA
Le’Veon Bell Jets 27 $52,500,000 $13,125,000 $35,000,000 $25,000,000 2023 UFA
David Johnson Cardinals 28 $39,000,000 $13,000,000 $31,882,500 $24,682,500 2022 UFA
Devonta Freeman Falcons 27 $41,250,000 $8,250,000 $22,047,000 $18,297,000 2023 UFA
LeSean McCoy Bills 31 $40,050,000 $8,010,000 $26,050,000 $18,250,000 2020 UFA
Saquon Barkley Giants 22 $31,194,750 $7,798,688 $31,194,750 $31,194,750 2022 UFA

2 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

Seriously. I know he’s a fin homer but the jets haven’t done a single thing right in his eyes in years. He and the Walter football guy are huge Jet trolls.

Believe it or not, Walter is coming around.  He still takes silly potshots but not 100% of the time like he used to.  

Archived