CJ Mosley Contract Details

choon328

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It looks like it's only the first 2 years base salaries are guaranteed. The signing bonus is really low which makes this a really easy contract to get out of if his play drops off in a few years.

Not terrible... but a rolling bonus ... so the 50 Mil guaranteed is more like 10 Mil a year of a roster bonus

I think the Jets overpaid a bit here but the team can afford to overpay on the front end while they still have a ton of cap space to play around with, better than saving that money and not taking advantage of Sam's rookie contract. 

I haven't looked at any of the details of some of the other FA contracts, but I am surprised these guys are agreeing to roster bonuses vs. signing bonuses.

A $7.5 million signing bonus on an "$85 million" contract seems laughably low from what has been done in the past.  That's what really saves you from cap hell, you're not leaving a large amount of dead money on the table if you cut the guy.

I wonder when the roster bonuses are scheduled.

It seems to me they would be more player favorable if the bonuses were due before the start of the league year, less favorable to the team if they were due after.....but I'm not really sure on the thought process behind the timing of when the roster bonuses are due.

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

I haven't looked at any of the details of some of the other FA contracts, but I am surprised these guys are agreeing to roster bonuses vs. signing bonuses.

A $7.5 million signing bonus on an "$85 million" contract seems laughably low from what has been done in the past.  That's what really saves you from cap hell, you're not leaving a large amount of dead money on the table if you cut the guy.

I wonder when the roster bonuses are scheduled.

It seems to me they would be more player favorable if the bonuses were due before the start of the league year, less favorable to the team if they were due after.....but I'm not really sure on the thought process behind the timing of when the roster bonuses are due.

His bonuses are the 5th day after the league year begins.

42 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Macc has been using higher roster bonuses in place of higher signing bonuses which is really smart. It's easier to get out of contracts that way with less dead money in the worst case scenario.

It's the same thing. The extra cap space in year 1 carries over to year 2, then unused $ from year to into year 3, etc, unless the GM spends to the last dollar available after doing that.

If his cap hit accelerates $10MM more by cutting early, but the team benefitted from a $10MM higher cap ceiling from moving extra current-year space to the future, it makes no difference. Whether the actual hit is $10MM on a $170MM cap or $20MM on a $180MM cap, it leaves $160MM for the rest of the team either way.

Archived