NY Jets Remaining Cap Space

choon328

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So if the Jets have roughly $45 million dollars in cap space left and there isn’t one player on the current roster you’d even consider extending with that cap space, and there aren’t any free agents worth anything more than tiny, one-year deals, can someone explain how Mike Maccagnan gets to keep his job into next week?

So you think teams are constantly handing out big time extensions  to all their great draft picks? I don't see that. The Raiders didn't give Mack a big contract extension. The Texans didn't give Clowney a big contract extension. The Pats didn't give Flowers a big contract extension or even franchise tag him. 

These teams can  use the franchise tag if they want to make sure a player doesn't leave and then work out a contract extension at that point. 

Either way, I give you credit for consistently calling for Macc to get fired even when Macc is coming off one of his best drafts, a couple of his best trades and now off one his best free agency period. It takes a special kind of fan to still be this angry at a GM. 

38 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Will any unspent money be carried over to next season?

I think so, but I don't think Macc is done yet. I think he worked some of these contracts to give him some space to fill out the roster with some 1 year prove it deals to guys like Suh, Ansah, Houston, Matthews...  

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you think teams are constantly handing out big time extensions to players to all their great draft picks? I don't see that. The Raiders didn't give Mack a big contract extension. The Texans didn't give Clowney a big contract extension. The Pats didn't give Flowers a big contract extension or even franchise tag him. 

These teams can  use the franchise tag if they want to make sure a player doesn't leave and then work out a contract extension at that point. 

Either way, I give you credit for consistently calling for Macc to get fired even when Macc is coming off one of his best drafts, a couple of his best trades and now off one his best free agency period. It takes a special kind of fan to still be this angry at a GM. 

But I don't think he's angry at all - He's Tom Shane there's a reputation to live up to - he needs to have some form of controversy he can spew nonsensical crap about . :P

38 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Forget the cap space used what's the cap spending for the new signees in the first year? That can strongly dictate how much money we have left. I know a couple of guys will make way more then their per year salaries in year one especially the big names.

Very rarely will a player account for more in cap space in year 1 then the average yearly rate of the contract. The base salaries almost always increase over time. That's done on purpose bc it gives the GM more room to manipulate contracts to increase cap space later on. Usually the player themselves will get more cash up front bc of the signing bonus but the cap hit is always lower. That's why a guy like Mosley signed for $17 million per year but his cap hit is only $13 million this year.

21 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But I don't think he's angry at all - He's Tom Shane there's a reputation to live up to - he needs to have some form of controversy he can spew nonsensical crap about . :P

I think it's more productive to discuss various issues with current moves. To call for the firing of a GM in the middle of what most consider a successful free agency period after a successful draft last year seems a little stupid. 

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Very rarely will a player account for more in cap space in year 1 then the average yearly rate of the contract. The base salaries almost always increase over time. That's done on purpose bc it gives the GM more room to manipulate contracts to increase cap space later on. Usually the player themselves will get more cash up front bc of the signing bonus but the cap hit is always lower. That's why a guy like Mosley signed for $17 million per year but his cap hit is only $13 million this year.

I made a mistake, I meant to say cash spending not cap spending? Any idea?

19 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I made a mistake, I meant to say cash spending not cap spending? Any idea?

Mosley: $19,000,000

Bell: $14,500,000

Crowder: $9,000,000

Roberts: $4,500,000

McClendon: $2,500,000

Harrison: $2,500,000

Poole: $2,000,000

Catanzaro: Unknown

Anderson: Unknown

Total: $54 million so far

Gambling a bit on Leo having a good year would be a smart GM move to me if the price is right. I think he's going to have a big year. Good use of cap space.

I don't think we're done yet. Still believe we might have a go at Houston.

31 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Gambling a bit on Leo having a good year would be a smart GM move to me if the price is right. I think he's going to have a big year. Good use of cap space.

Disagree, fairly good DL seem to be more common and less expensive then most of us have come to believe thanks to the Rex draft priority.  I say let Leo walk and replace for cheeper.  DL is important of course but it ain't all that important.  

If the Jets have a good season, Darnold shows well, etc - maybe a more appealing FA destination next year (nobody has the worst day of their life after agreeing to sign with the Jets, less need to overpay). Some rollover could be okay. Still think they need an edge this offseason though.

14 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I am sure the Jets have some guru on salary who is Tannenbauming the salary cap, as we speak

They have Wharton grads running the analytics, I'm sure they have an excel spreadsheet at least ?

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

Even before this season Leo would require at least $14 million per year on a 4-5 year deal. If the franchise isn't going to commit to him long term they should move him before the draft. This team can not keep spending top dollar on interior defensive lineman that can't hit double digits in sacks. 

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So if the Jets have roughly $45 million dollars in cap space left and there isn’t one player on the current roster you’d even consider extending with that cap space, and there aren’t any free agents worth anything more than tiny, one-year deals, can someone explain how Mike Maccagnan gets to keep his job into next week?

That is the problem when you have a Gm who knows he was very close to Being fired, and will be on thin ice this yr. I hope this isn’t a repeat of his start with the Jets. Did the same his first yr and spent a fortune on older vets. Was nice for one yr, but we know what happened every yr after 

25 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Jason at OTC has us at $47.25 remaining with Roberts & Anderson.

He doesn't have Henry Anderson, Catanzaro or Harrison yet. The number I have is with Harrison but not the other two.

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That is the problem when you have a Gm who knows he was very close to Being fired, and will be on thin ice this yr. I hope this isn’t a repeat of his start with the Jets. Did the same his first yr and spent a fortune on older vets. Was nice for one yr, but we know what happened every yr after 

He didn't spend money on older vets this time. He's tied to Mosley for 3 years and either 1 or 2 years for the rest of them based on the structure of the contracts. Depending on what he does the rest of the off-season the Jets will probably have between $60-$80 million in cap space next off-season as well. And that's a conservative estimate. I expect them to spend big next offseason as well. They are following the Rams model but unlike the Rams they have yet to give up a big asset to get a #1 WR. 

22 hours ago, choon328 said:

https://overthecap.com/calculator/new-york-jets/

Signings

Bellamy: $1,840,000

Bell: $8,500,000

Mosley: $13,000,000

Poole: $2,000,000

Crowder: $6,781,250

Anderson: Unknown

Catanzaro: Unknown

McClendon: $2,500,000

Roberts: $4,500,000

Harrison: $2,750,000

Trades

Osemele: $10,200,000

Releases

Crowell: -$3,000,000

Official Remaining Cap Space: $44,518,165

THANKS !

22 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

What about the in house players we are resigning?.

CB Roberts 3 years 18M is ~6M a year, what that doesn't count against the cap? This is not the NBA with soft caps when signing your own players.  

We also resigned C Harrison, though that was before anything occurred with FA, so it may have been factored in already. But, we resigned LB Hewitt as well. These will add up and should be factored in. 

?? Roberts and Harrison are both on the list. Hewitt is the only one not there.

Great thread.

We can't extend Leo until after the draft.  If we get the other Williams?, we can let Leo walk.

If we don't get Q, it would be nice to lock him up based on past year's production, but is Leo interested in 4 years at 9M or will it take 14M like Choon says?  Macc needs to ask.

38 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He didn't spend money on older vets this time. He's tied to Mosley for 3 years and either 1 or 2 years for the rest of them based on the structure of the contracts. Depending on what he does the rest of the off-season the Jets will probably have between $60-$80 million in cap space next off-season as well. And that's a conservative estimate. I expect them to spend big next offseason as well. They are following the Rams model but unlike the Rams they have yet to give up a big asset to get a #1 WR. 

The rams Oline was ranked 6th overall. Jets were like 6 from last. Really hard to have a good O with a bottom of league ranked OL yr in yr out. I don’t think Mac will ever invest in the OL enough to allow us to ever compete for a championship. When the Johnsons finally realize that, they will easily find someone who is willing to build around the qb

5 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Being angry is never productive. In fact the moment you can get your opponent to become emotional is the moment you've won. 

Shane makes you angry and he lets you hang your own self. 

This knowledge should be power, but 9 out 10 people will actually allow this information to anger them. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. 

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No pass rusher

No center

No quality left tackle

No #1 WR

No internally developed CBs

No internally developed starter RB

Quality Gming.

The team is improved though from last year.  Still gaping holes.

You can say that about any team who signs high priced FA's , it leaves holes at other positions. Plus IMO the Bowles staff was horrid at developing players . 

25 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You can say that about any team who signs high priced FA's , it leaves holes at other positions. Plus IMO the Bowles staff was horrid at developing players . 

We have drafted a lot of CB's under mac, how many of the have stepped in after a few years to contribute in a major way?

We have not really even really tried to draft RBs under mac at all.

Archived