NY Jets Remaining Cap Space

choon328

As pointed out in another thread, the Jets have 43 players on the roster

This is roster is begging for good rookies to make it.

We will know soon enough if Mac drafts well this year.  It is not good when the Udfa outplay the draft picks.  It does not mean that the udfa are necessarily good.  It usually means the draft picks are bad. 

The Shepherd pick could be another dud.  Mac does not have 10 more chances.  He needs to nail this draft.  

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They just signed a 34 year old nose tackle to a contract because the nose tackle they drafted in the third round last year can’t play. They signed a cornerback who was cut from the Jaguars to play the slot because the slot cornerback they drafted last year can’t play. They signed an inside linebacker to more money than Eli Manning is making to replace the inside linebacker they drafted in the first round three years ago. They’re probably going to draft a 3-4 DE with the third overall pick because the 3-4 DE they drafted four years ago can’t play, even though they’re also giving that DE $15 mil this year. Maybe Bowles wasn’t the problem with the talent.

I mean this sh*t is a reach at best. 

-Shepherd isn't a NT he's a 3-4 DE. Duh

-They drafted that slot CB in the 6th round. Any player who was drafted in the 6th round only has a 15% chance of starting in the NFL. So expecting him to start in year 2 is crazy.

-They signed the ILB bc he's a top 3 all around ILB in the NFL. That being said the Lee pick was awful.

-I'm not a fan of Leo but he can play. He's making $14.2 million this year not $15 million. He has been a good player here he's just not worth $15 million per year on a long term deal.

You should know all of this since you're so knowledgeable.

On 3/16/2019 at 2:50 PM, Beerfish said:

No pass rusher

No center

No quality left tackle

No #1 WR

No internally developed CBs

No internally developed starter RB

Quality Gming.

The team is improved though from last year.  Still gaping holes.

SO ?

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No he shouldnt.  Lots of GMs whiff on QBs, most after the high first are whiffs.  

You can keep repeating he fell into Darnold because you dont want to give the guy an ounce of credit but he moved up to 3 to have a shot at the first 3 top QBs.  Thats on him.  The talk of luck or better yet Heimerdinger being sent to work out the parameters of the trade up is just more to take credit away from Macc.  

The idea that anyone knows what Shepherd will be today is more nonsense.  

Absolutely right.  Anyone can (and nearly everyone does) make up their own facts to fit their story.  

Mac sucks!  Bowles sucks!  The owners suck!  Blah, blah, blah.  Why don't you (everyone) just say what they think should be be done now.  Go on record with what you think the remainder of free agency should look like and what draft picks we should make.   How many more years are we going to hear gripes about the Hackenburg pick???  MOVE ON!

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Other than blowing a playoff spot the last week of the season against a division rival led by Rex Ryan what was disastrous about it? 

So the entire team played like dog sh*t in week 17 after a great run to get to that point and that one game we are going to blame on the GM ? What was the team's record the year before ? Yep it was 4-12 and you were not impressed by that turn around at all because we lost the most important game of the season . Everything hinged on that one game . I guess if we would have won that game and made the playoffs you would have been singing the praise of Macc .... that is until the entire team blew up the following year

I'm not saying Macc does not have his faults these past 4 years but to blame what happened in year 1 on him when he was obviously in win now mode really is not fair. Pointing at the Marshall signing when the guy had a fantastic year is also kind of silly @dbatesman

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

In Maccagnan’s defense, he did put together a team that lasted two full years before needing to be blown up and rebuilt

He didn't put that team together, he added to what was in place in what was a win now scenario. With some of the old players we had maybe the best thing to do that year was to start over at that point and blow it all up from day one but I feel very strongly that Woody wanted one more shot with what we had in place and it didn't work. I have a hard time blaming that on the GM and that may very well be why he defied the odds and kept his job this offseason and did not get fired like Todd Bowles.

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Remember when his first big move was trading for Brandon Marshall

109 catches 1500 yards 14 TD's yep I remember it well. I also remember when that manchild Idiot Sheldon Richardson created a bad situation in the locker room because he didn't like the guy who put up the greatest numbers by a WR this franchise has ever seen. BTW that was also Marshalls best year as a pro.

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

SO ?

Drafting 4 CBs and adding another by using a 5th round draft pick.

Know what that means?

It means you used those picks and got nothing tangible for them.  5 cbs and none of them are good enough to prevent us from having to sign high priced guys for that position.

It's kind of important for some of your picks to turn out.  i know that is a tough thing to figure out for some jets fans.

25 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

109 catches 1500 yards 14 TD's yep I remember it well. I also remember when that manchild Idiot Sheldon Richardson created a bad situation in the locker room because he didn't like the guy who put up the greatest numbers by a WR this franchise has ever seen. BTW that was also Marshalls best year as a pro.

oh wow

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They just signed a 34 year old nose tackle to a contract because the nose tackle they drafted in the third round last year can’t play. They signed a cornerback who was cut from the Jaguars to play the slot because the slot cornerback they drafted last year can’t play. They signed an inside linebacker to more money than Eli Manning is making to replace the inside linebacker they drafted in the first round three years ago. They’re probably going to draft a 3-4 DE with the third overall pick because the 3-4 DE they drafted four years ago can’t play, even though they’re also giving that DE $15 mil this year. Maybe Bowles wasn’t the problem with the talent.

:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

So the entire team played like dog sh*t in week 17 after a great run to get to that point and that one game we are going to blame on the GM ? What was the team's record the year before ? Yep it was 4-12 and you were not impressed by that turn around at all because we lost the most important game of the season . Everything hinged on that one game . I guess if we would have won that game and made the playoffs you would have been singing the praise of Macc .... that is until the entire team blew up the following year

I'm not saying Macc does not have his faults these past 4 years but to blame what happened in year 1 on him when he was obviously in win now mode really is not fair. Pointing at the Marshall signing when the guy had a fantastic year is also kind of silly @dbatesman

He didn't put that team together, he added to what was in place in what was a win now scenario. With some of the old players we had maybe the best thing to do that year was to start over at that point and blow it all up from day one but I feel very strongly that Woody wanted one more shot with what we had in place and it didn't work. I have a hard time blaming that on the GM and that may very well be why he defied the odds and kept his job this offseason and did not get fired like Todd Bowles.

Sorry but how can you say it was a win now season with Fitz as your QB?  That just makes no sense at all.  

So with approximately 44 million in cap left, minus the 10 mil we need with the draft, are we going to sit pat and save the rest for next year or are we going to sign some others?  Looking at the Free Agents available, im not so sure we should be dumping money on them.  

Archived