If You Could Sign Any Player In NFL History (Not QB)

New York Mick

Since there’s not much action going on right now.  If you could sign any player in their prime ever to help this current team win a SB and start a franchise who would it be. 

LT

Decon Jones

Reggie White

Larry Allen

Walter Jones

Orlando Pace

Joe Thomas

Jonathan Ogden

Jerry Rice

Calvin Johnson

Jim Brown

Neon Deon

Rod Woodson

Is getting a passrusher more important then giving Darnold time to throw or is getting him a sure offense threat most important or is it a shutdown corner? 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Dick Butkus or Ronnie Lott in their prime.  No other reason except loved the way they both played. 

Lott is probably my personal fave - never got tired of watching him annihilate people.

Interesting , no love for greatest WR in NFL history on a team with no #1 WR in a league 1000% more passing oriented than it was in his era, to help our young budding star (hopefully) QB achieve his rightful pinnacle on Mount Olympus 

Jerry Rice

"Mean" Joe Green, L.C. Greenwood, Ernie Holmes, and Dwight White. Those guys would head slap the you-know-what out of these daises that play today. Of course with the rule changes it might not go over well but it sure would be fun to watch!

LT was the best football player I’ve ever seen , it gets a bit forgotten because of the off the field stuff and the sideshow he eventually became , but in his prime he was other worldly, right there with Jordan , Mariano , Gretzky. Those are the 4 guys that in their primes it felt like you were watching an alien from a superior planet compete against humans . 

Emotionally, I think Earl Campbell because there was no player I like watching more than him.  Earl in his prime would still be the best RB in the game today by such a huge margin, and what he would do to some of these puffed up players today...yowza.  

Realistically, LT.  Nobody I can think of would change a team's fortunes individually more than him.

For this team, right now, as much as Pace or Ogden, or Megatron would be such an incredible upgrade at their positions, I'd still say LT.

Joe Thomas doesn't belong.  He was great, but not Ogden/Pace/Munoz great.  I'd swap in Revis as an alternative to Deion if you like a more physical CB.  Of course you could also go with Mel Blount then, but the flags he would get today... Still, would be fun.

My runner up...Larry Allen.   Nobody could turn around an OLine quicker than him.  He could play either side, Tackle or Guard and instantly be the best player on your line.  Not the best left tackle vs. Ogden/Pace, but the swiss army bazooka this line needs.  I'd take him right now over almost anyone but LT now that I think about it for what he would mean to the entire offense.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Dick Butkus or Ronnie Lott in their prime.  No other reason except loved the way they both played. 

Neither would be allowed to play like that now.  

For a 3-4 team in need of a pass rusher for the last 10 years, I'd have to say LT.   His run of dominance was like nothing I can think of.   If the team went to a 4-3, probably Reggie White.   There are other great WR in the game close to Rice (not in career longevity obviously) but I don't know of anyone like LT.

I never saw Deacon Jones play, so it's very hard for me to judge.   For those who say he would be too small in today's game, can you imagine him as on OLB at 260 pounds, running a 4.5 with all of his pass rush moves?   Take away the club to the side of the head, and he still dominates.

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Since there’s not much action going on right now.  If you could sign any player in their prime ever to help this current team win a SB and start a franchise who would it be. 

LT

Decon Jones

Reggie White

Larry Allen

Walter Jones

Orlando Pace

Joe Thomas

Jonathan Ogden

Jerry Rice

Calvin Johnson

Jim Brown

Neon Deon

Rod Woodson

Is getting a passrusher more important then giving Darnold time to throw or is getting him a sure offense threat most important or is it a shutdown corner? 

Jerry Rice.

15 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Neither would be allowed to play like that now.  

For a 3-4 team in need of a pass rusher for the last 10 years, I'd have to say LT.   His run of dominance was like nothing I can think of.   If the team went to a 4-3, probably Reggie White.   There are other great WR in the game close to Rice (not in career longevity obviously) but I don't know of anyone like LT.

I never saw Deacon Jones play, so it's very hard for me to judge.   For those who say he would be too small in today's game, can you imagine him as on OLB at 260 pounds, running a 4.5 with all of his pass rush moves?   Take away the club to the side of the head, and he still dominates.

Picking the two players I loved growing. Yes, game is way too timid for men like that .

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Love Ronnie Lott, had a field pass years ago for a USC game, got to stand by Ronnie Lott, Willie McGinest and Marcus Allen - they wanted to make sure I could see, but remain safe.  

#55 is the one for me though, loved watching Junior Seau play.  

7585551E-9126-4F01-8D16-37A4FD781F8A.jpeg

Archived