So, Manish defends his picking Darnold as top AFCE QB on WEEI

Scott Dierking

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JetFaninMI said:

There goes Mehta again. Running his useless mouth. I guess since the Daily News is about to fold he really wants that Jets PR job. Probably has a fantasy or two about it.

Hey, he has to get himself out there. The DN is in great trouble and the writing is on the wall. 

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hey, he has to get himself out there. The DN is in great trouble and the writing is on the wall. 

Agreed. Can you say the Manish Mehta podcast? You know that's where he's going to end up when the fold finally happens.

Mehta is a total ass hat but he's not wrong about Brady clearly being on the downside. He looked like a shell of himself last year. He basically got a Mark Sanchez ride through the playoffs with the defense and running game carrying him. That's a little exaggerated, but not by a lot. I mean if Dee Ford doesn't line up offsides his 3rd INT of the game isn't called back and they lose int he AFCCG.

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mehta is a total ass hat but he's not wrong about Brady clearly being on the downside. He looked like a shell of himself last year. He basically got a Mark Sanchez ride through the playoffs with the defense and running game carrying him. That's a little exaggerated, but not by a lot.

People often forget that if Dee Ford wouldn’t of jumped offsides, we’d be talking about Brady’s 3 interception loss in the AFCCG lol. 

Facts!

ps. I still believe that Brady is better. Sam has shown promise and crazy potential. He’s NOT better yet. Give him another season or two.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

People often forget that if Dee Ford wouldn’t of jumped offsides, we’d be talking about a 3 interception loss in the AFCCG lol. 

Facts!

ps. I still believe that Brady is better. Sam has shown promise and crazy potential. He’s NOT better yet. Give him another season or two.

Bikers for Sam. Very tough people. Very tough.

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

People often forget that if Dee Ford wouldn’t of jumped offsides, we’d be talking about Brady’s 3 interception loss in the AFCCG lol. 

Facts!

People were calling for Brady head two season ago without gronk... Now gronk retires and we still think he is going to dominate... Yes yes I know I know... Gronk didn't put up any stats last year... But watching games the guy demands defensive attention, period and he is the one of the greatest blocking tes in history... He does a lot more then stats show and losing him is going to hurt Brady a lot

Brady is likely to take a big step back this year and Darnold a step forward. They are still miles apart but I wouldnt be shocked if by the end of the year Sam is playing better ball even if its primarily due to Brady's performance falling off a cliff.

Manning went from 55/10 TD/INT all pro QB to 9/17 and done in 2 years time at 39. Father time is undefeated and Brady showed some chinks last year imo

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Stay paying attention to him and he'll go away. Pretty simple.

He whores himself out to the Boston sports stations because he gets their fans and our into a frenzy. Our angry. Theirs laughing hysterically.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

There goes Mehta again. Running his useless mouth. I guess since the Daily News is about to fold he really wants that Jets PR job. Probably has a fantasy or two about it.

In the grand scheme of things though Mehta actually saved the Jet Franchise.

Without him doing a non stop hit job on Marrone, Marrone becomes HC instead of the worst "HC" I've ever seen in Bowles...NO SAM DARNOLD....pretty much simple math...<raises glass>.

IMO, Brady out right sucked last season especially in Dec.. With Bell, Crowder, a healthy Q (fingers crossed) Anderson and Herndon, Sam has the horses this year.  I totally think Brady can't  be relied on to carry that team anymore, they need others to be difference makers. Sam very well could have the better stat line but the Pat's likely will still be the better team. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Facts!

In time Darnold will show he can do pretty much all Brady has done, throwing wise, but he also has so much more to his game than Brady athletically.  Have you ever see Brady come close to making the kind of play Darnold made in Buffalo where he had to move for what seemed like 20 seconds outside the pocket before hitting Anderson for a TD?

I'm not disparaging Brady in the slightest though.  The guy as of now is the best ever.  He puts in the study work like a maniac, virtually knows what the D is going to do on almost any play then gets the ball out as quick as possible, guy has been playing pitch and catch for almost 20 years, for his entire time in the league I'd like to know how many times he has been hit as opposed to anyone else playing a comparable time.  He has to have the record, by a huge margin, of not getting touched.

That scores of Olineman can come in though and never miss a beat protecting him is bs though, they're allowed to hold like no other team in the league.

2 hours ago, Mark78 said:

Love Sam, but Manish is reaching here...wouldn't be upset if I was proved wrong though

past performance doesn't guarantee future success.  brady is not the brady of old.  darnold has proven he can make all the throws and knows how to use his legs to get out of tight spots.  in a lot of ways, darnolds skill sets surpass brady's.  maybe it's a reach to say darnold's better because this is a show me league but it's not an illogical position to take.

11 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

In time Darnold will show he can do pretty much all Brady has done, throwing wise, but he also has so much more to his game than Brady athletically.  Have you ever see Brady come close to making the kind of play Darnold made in Buffalo where he had to move for what seemed like 20 seconds outside the pocket before hitting Anderson for a TD?

I'm not disparaging Brady in the slightest though.  The guy as of now is the best ever.  He puts in the study work like a maniac, virtually knows what the D is going to do on almost any play then gets the ball out as quick as possible, guy has been playing pitch and catch for almost 20 years, for his entire time in the league I'd like to know how many times he has been hit as opposed to anyone else playing a comparable time.  He has to have the record, by a huge margin, of not getting touched.

That scores of Olineman can come in though and never miss a beat protecting him is bs though, they're allowed to hold like no other team in the league.

a lot of QBing is a mental game. Brady has that side of it down to a science. Sam has a long ways to go in order to catch Brady in that regard and might not — but I have no doubt in my mind that he can reach an elite level of reading defenses and consistently winning the mental game between the QB and the defense. 

Enough to even win a ring.

But comparing a 42 year old GOAT and our 22 year old QB doesn’t make a ton of sense. More needs to be shown from Darnold in the course of the next few years, as he gets better, as Brady retires and as our team gets filled out. We’ll see what we have to compare when the kid blossoms into his role. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mehta is a total ass hat but he's not wrong about Brady clearly being on the downside. He looked like a shell of himself last year. He basically got a Mark Sanchez ride through the playoffs with the defense and running game carrying him. That's a little exaggerated, but not by a lot. I mean if Dee Ford doesn't line up offsides his 3rd INT of the game isn't called back and they lose int he AFCCG.

Let's not go full homer. 

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

a lot of QBing is a mental game. Brady has that side of it down to a science. Sam has a long ways to go in order to catch Brady in that regard and might not — but I have no doubt in my mind that he can reach an elite level of reading defenses and consistently winning the mental game between the QB and the defense. 

Enough to even win a ring.

But comparing a 42 year old GOAT and our 22 year old QB doesn’t make a ton of sense. More needs to be shown from Darnold in the course of the next few years, as he gets better, as Brady retires and as our team gets filled out. We’ll see what we have to compare when the kid blossoms into his role. 

All real good points.

Also, supposedly, and this is according to Tony Romo, Darnold has what very few QB's have, even with say 10 years in the league.  He says that Darnold's "spacial recognition" is Off the Charts.  Basically he has an innate ability to visualize the outcome of a play while it's still in process in real-time.  So even if it turns out that the wrong play has been called, he can I don't know what the best word is, "recalculate" everything in a millisecond and as they say "throw someone open".

That's why for anyone who wants to cite any statistics from Darnold's rookie season...they're totally off-base in trying to make any judgement.

You just have to look at the quality of lots of his throws, some fit into the tightest of windows, with many of them dropped by receivers who almost never got any separation, even after sometimes he had been chasing a snap fired over his head or into the ground, he was basically playing all alone much of the time last year.  He has already made plays I've never seen ANY Jet QB make, including Namath (maybe before Namath was hurt he did, but I never saw any of that).

I just think, and I'm trying to be objective as possible, he's going to be a very special QB in the NFL.

Just so dumb. So, so dumb. Lets give the guy a chance to play more than 1 season before saying Sam is better than one of the best players ever to play. 

I love the kid, have since the Rose Bowl. But lets just let it happen without the nonsense. 

Archived