So, Manish defends his picking Darnold as top AFCE QB on WEEI

Scott Dierking

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

All real good points.

Also, supposedly, and this is according to Tony Romo, Darnold has what very few QB's have, even with say 10 years in the league.  He says that Darnold's "spacial recognition" is Off the Charts.  Basically he has an innate ability to visualize the outcome of a play while it's still in process in real-time.  So even if it turns out that the wrong play has been called, he can I don't know what the best word is, "recalculate" everything in a millisecond and as they say "throw someone open".

That's why for anyone who wants to cite any statistics from Darnold's rookie season...they're totally off-base in trying to make any judgement.

You just have to look at the quality of lots of his throws, some fit into the tightest of windows, with many of them dropped by receivers who almost never got any separation, even after sometimes he had been chasing a snap fired over his head or into the ground, he was basically playing all alone much of the time last year.  He has already made plays I've never seen ANY Jet QB make, including Namath (maybe before Namath was hurt he did, but I never saw any of that).

I just think, and I'm trying to be objective as possible, he's going to be a very special QB in the NFL.

Man. This place is absolutely teeming with ball-washing creepy hero-worshipping fanboy weirdos, but this, together with the notion that the existence of a parody twitter account that is literally just a knockoff of an Andrew Luck parody twitter account ‘shows how much respect’ (lol) ‘Sammy’ (lol lol) is getting around the league, is seriously the ball-washingest creepy hero-worshipping fanboy weirdo stuff I have ever seen in my whole life. Ooo Sammy with your special specialness and specialosity. Good grief.

13 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

ball-washing creepy hero-worshipping fanboy weirdos

Pretty accurate assessment really.   I like to be clean downstairs, baby powder and all.   It just so happens I'm a total weirdo who desperately wants a franchise QB.  I could see how that would come across creepy and slightly hero-worshipping-ish. 

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

Pretty accurate assessment really.   I like to be clean downstairs, baby powder and all.   It just so happens I'm a total weirdo who desperately wants a franchise QB.  I could see how that would come across creepy and slightly hero-worshipping-ish. 

We are not allowed to have nice things. Only to be lumped into silos of somebody's vision of what fandom should be.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What

What do you mean, what? The Luck one is a not really all that funny in the first place joke about how his facial hair makes him look like a civil war soldier. The Darnold one is a copy, sans joke, no doubt hastily thrown together by somebody who shares your affinity for the musk of strapping young lads in green shirts.

9 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

What do you mean, what? The Luck one is a not really all that funny in the first place joke about how his facial hair makes him look like a civil war soldier. The Darnold one is a copy, sans joke, no doubt hastily thrown together by somebody who shares your affinity for the musk of strapping young lads in green shirts.

^ What he said

15 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

There’s one for just about every team if you look. Meh, I enjoy them though.

Hilarious....Bills and Browns fans act b*t-sh*t crazy over their QBs, spreading like cockroaches scanning social media for any positive posts about any QB not their beloved....some of you people act the polar opposite, finding any thing remotely positive  to b*tch about the guy you’re stuck with.  There are a lot of factors in QB/team success, the right coaching staff, the right surrounding teammates and intangibles not measured by statistics.  FB is an emotional, physical game, that requires a cohesive team effort.

Here’s a news flash...more QBs with great rookie years - ROTY winners, fail to live up to expectations the longer they’re in the league.  Too early for any of them to have no doubt they’re franchise QBs. 

51 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How was my post in any way being a homer? I didn't even say Darnold was better. I only commented on the play of Brady. Feel free to dispute anything I said.

I'll dispute that he was a shell of himself. Pretty much without Gronk, he threw for 4300 yards, 29 TDs, and led his team to a Superbowl win. 

Eh that's a bit hasty to name him over just about the greatest to ever play the game, even though I can see it for next season. He ended last season on a phenomenal note, but let's wait for him to show that for all 16 and some. 

That said, if he plays an entire season at or above the level he finished last one, Manish will be correct in his assessment.  

24 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

There’s one for just about every team if you look. Meh, I enjoy them though.

Know what else you can find if you look? This:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/15/jets-fan-drives-21-hours-sam-darnold/

I bet this adult's father is real proud.

From Football Outsiders to Deadspin, you can't throw a rock at the internet without hitting somebody who's fighting the war over whether it's possible in this day and age to both like sports and not be an idiot.

And they're losing.

Like the Jets.

17 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Know what else you can find if you look? This:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/15/jets-fan-drives-21-hours-sam-darnold/

I bet this adult's father is real proud.

From Football Outsiders to Deadspin, you can't throw a rock at the internet without hitting somebody who's fighting the war over whether it's possible in this day and age to both like sports and not be an idiot.

And they're losing.

Like the Jets.

Nico!

39 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I'll dispute that he was a shell of himself. Pretty much without Gronk, he threw for 4300 yards, 29 TDs, and led his team to a Superbowl win. 

Did you watch him play much last year? I don't think even the most optimistic Patriots fans would deny that he wasn't the Brady of old. LOL at him "leading his team to a superbowl win". He pretty much rode the coat tails of his defense and running game. Oh and Dee Ford.

If you look at how Brady stacked up against the rest of the league in key stats over the last decade you can clearly see 2018 sticking out.

bradyStatsSummary.png

bradyStatsChart1.png

bradyStatsChart2.png

And if the giants picked darnold before the jets....? 

That "if" point is never a valid one. It didn't happen so its null and void.

Yes Brady didnt play to his elite level last season

.but that doesn't mean much where he still effective enough to win the AFC n another Superbowl.

Also: he was the only QB to lead his offense to a score..last I checked rams had a good defense as well.

3 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

All real good points.

Also, supposedly, and this is according to Tony Romo, Darnold has what very few QB's have, even with say 10 years in the league.  He says that Darnold's "spacial recognition" is Off the Charts.  Basically he has an innate ability to visualize the outcome of a play while it's still in process in real-time.  So even if it turns out that the wrong play has been called, he can I don't know what the best word is, "recalculate" everything in a millisecond and as they say "throw someone open".

That's why for anyone who wants to cite any statistics from Darnold's rookie season...they're totally off-base in trying to make any judgement.

You just have to look at the quality of lots of his throws, some fit into the tightest of windows, with many of them dropped by receivers who almost never got any separation, even after sometimes he had been chasing a snap fired over his head or into the ground, he was basically playing all alone much of the time last year.  He has already made plays I've never seen ANY Jet QB make, including Namath (maybe before Namath was hurt he did, but I never saw any of that).

I just think, and I'm trying to be objective as possible, he's going to be a very special QB in the NFL.

I know how much faith you have in Darnold, and I love you for it. I'll keep cautioning you about the Romo comments though. I don't live in NY, and I've probably seen him call more games the you did last year because you got every Jets and Giants game up there. I love Romo as a broadcaster, but trust me, he hasn't met the QB he doesn't love. He heaped as much praise on the other rookie QBs as he did Darnold, and by the end of the season, you'd have thought Mayfield was Favre in his prime the way he was talking about him.

I was impressed as hell with the way Sam picked himself off the mat at the end of the season, but 2019 is when the rubber hits the road for him. He has an Offensive minded HC, and plenty of weapons in Bell, Crowder, Enunwa, R. Anderson, and Herndon. There will be no excuse for him not to make a big leap forward next year, much like Goff, Wentz, Mahomes and others have.

If he does, your faith will be rewarded, and everyone here will be happy knowing we are set up to compete in the AFC for years to come. He's got to get it done though. As I said, no excuses. No more "he's still a baby", "only played QB for 3 years", blah blah.

Like you, I think he can do it, but from now on the "things we've seen in him" his "flash moments" no longer matter. Its about getting it done for this team on the field.

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

People often forget that if Dee Ford wouldn’t of jumped offsides, we’d be talking about Brady’s 3 interception loss in the AFCCG lol. 

Facts!

ps. I still believe that Brady is better. Sam has shown promise and crazy potential. He’s NOT better yet. Give him another season or two.

I agree Darnold isn't better than Brady. Funny how people read my post agreeing that Brady is going downhill as being a homer and or thinking Darnold is better.

Brady will be 42 when the season starts and is coming off a season where he showed regression. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that regression will continue. A lot of times when that downhill spiral starts, it's a steep decline.

Yea - the Pats won the superbowl but it wasn't because of Tom Brady. 

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I agree Darnold isn't better than Brady. Funny how people read my post agreeing that Brady is going downhill as being a homer and or thinking Darnold is better.

Brady will be 42 when the season starts and is coming off a season where he showed regression. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that regression will continue. A lot of times when that downhill spiral starts, it's a steep decline.

Yea - the Pats won the superbowl but it wasn't because of Tom Brady. 

^^ odds are better theres a steep Brady decline over a resurgence . The rest of the AFCE QB's are trash. I'm the furthest thing from a Darnold fanboy but I dont think its unreasonable to think Darnold is the better QB in the final 4, not a given for sure but not really outlandish 

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

^^ odds are better theres a steep Brady decline over a resurgence . The rest of the AFCE QB's are trash. I'm the furthest thing from a Darnold fanboy but I dont think its unreasonable to think Darnold is the better QB in the final 4, not a given for sure but not really outlandish 

^^ beta cuck

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I know how much faith you have in Darnold, and I love you for it. I'll keep cautioning you about the Romo comments though. I don't live in NY, and I've probably seen him call more games the you did last year because you got every Jets and Giants game up there. I love Romo as a broadcaster, but trust me, he hasn't met the QB he doesn't love. He heaped as much praise on the other rookie QBs as he did Darnold, and by the end of the season, you'd have thought Mayfield was Favre in his prime the way he was talking about him.

I was impressed as hell with the way Sam picked himself off the mat at the end of the season, but 2019 is when the rubber hits the road for him. He has an Offensive minded HC, and plenty of weapons in Bell, Crowder, Enunwa, R. Anderson, and Herndon. There will be no excuse for him not to make a big leap forward next year, much like Goff, Wentz, Mahomes and others have.

If he does, your faith will be rewarded, and everyone here will be happy knowing we are set up to compete in the AFC for years to come. He's got to get it done though. As I said, no excuses. No more "he's still a baby", "only played QB for 3 years", blah blah.

Like you, I think he can do it, but from now on the "things we've seen in him" his "flash moments" no longer matter. Its about getting it done for this team on the field.

Good points, and I didn’t know that Romo was so liberal with his praise, thanks for letting me know that.

But one thing definitely stands out, the praise he lavished on Darnold included “He will be the BEST QB in the NFL, he’s the next Peyton Manning”...no one else was that said about, I’m pretty sure.

I’m just highly confident that Darnold will meet Romo’s projection or will come very close, which is more than good enough, and I’m saying that based on the quality of some of the throws I’ve already seen him make, and his incredible pocket presence.

Maybe part of it is that I’ve had to watch a string of so many garbage QBs the Jets have played for well over a decade and I think Darnold is better than he actually is, because at the very least the guy is a Franchise QB, that we can agree on...but I don’t think so.

Also, I saw lots of his games at SC and he definitely had that “elongated” release the scouts dinged him on, AND a ball security problem.  He fixed both almost overnight.  Changing your delivery is supposed to be close to impossible according to experts and look how fast he was able to correct the flaw, also you didn’t see many fumbles out of him.  He seems to be dedicated to making himself a perfect QB...not sure if he can get to the Brady lunatic level, but he’s definitely on a similar journey.

I just think that putting probably the #1 back behind him, who is also deadly catching passes, having more chemistry with Robbie Anderson, Enunwa healthy, add Crowder into the mix, Herndon no longer a rookie...it’ll be rare that you see Darnold put up less than 30 points in any game, not to mention a HC geared toward Offense.

5 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Man. This place is absolutely teeming with ball-washing creepy hero-worshipping fanboy weirdos, but this, together with the notion that the existence of a parody twitter account that is literally just a knockoff of an Andrew Luck parody twitter account ‘shows how much respect’ (lol) ‘Sammy’ (lol lol) is getting around the league, is seriously the ball-washingest creepy hero-worshipping fanboy weirdo stuff I have ever seen in my whole life. Ooo Sammy with your special specialness and specialosity. Good grief.

That ain’t cool man haha.

The Andrew Luck twitter comparison was just a goof.

I’m not doing any “fanboy” bow sh*t, the guy is going to be a great QB, I thought that when I saw him play at SC, I thought that he pretty much won 8 games ALL BY HIMSELF (should I pencil in “No he didn’t the Jets only won 4” comment you’ll throw in?), and now I think that with weapons being placed around him he is going to be good for producing 30+ points a game, and I think the Jets are now a lock for a Wildcard slot next year.

That’s my opinion and it was way before JJ Watt told him “you’re going to be a Great Pro”....you have different opinion.  I think I’ll be proven right.

On 3/16/2019 at 11:53 AM, The Crusher said:

Hmmm, thought that was an Andrew Luck thing. 

Both Luck and Darnold don’t care for social media...giving someone else the opportunity to parody them freely.

Mildly entertaining, likely why neither one has asked for those accounts to be removed.

Archived