Is Mark Sanchez a viable option for Backup QB?

FlightBoyz

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm very much looking forward to seeing that.  Does he have any future, or is he Hackenberg II:  Sucky Booglaoo.

I saw him in 2 preseasons.  In one he was Hackenburg.  In the other he was an inexperienced QB, but he made plays.  Who is to say Gase can not turn him into something?

49 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

No. Just go with Webb or McCown.

I suspect that McCown's announcement that he'll be "taking some time," before deciding whether or not to come back next year is probably foreshadowing. Jets probably told him how much they're willing to give him for another season, and it's no $10M. 

9 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I saw him in 2 preseasons.  In one he was Hackenburg.  In the other he was an inexperienced QB, but he made plays.  Who is to say Gase can not turn him into something?

Not me, I'm reserving any opinion making/judgment for after I see him play with my own eyes in this system.

24 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I remember his first few pass attempts in Houston, I call a buddy of mine and say, I think for reassurance and hope that the next 5 years are not about to be wasted, like I knew they would be almost at once..."He looks kind of small back there in the pocket, right?  They got him listed at 6'2", I don't know about that.  His arm, you think his arm is strong enough?"

I remember the pre-season game day threads watching him play as a rookie and making excuse after excuse as to why he was throwing incompletions and bad passes.   We were all so hopeful, but deep down inside, we all saw the buttfumble in our future.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

If Mark was forced into action, he wouldn’t be able to win the game...therefore...no.

he wouldn’t be viable back up. 

Ideally you want your back up to give you a shot at winning the game.

Agreed.

You need your backup to be able to 'save a game' or 'keep you in the race' if Sam goes down for 3-4 weeks.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

We are suddenly a contending team, I have expectations of 10-6.  To get there we may have to survive a few weeks with an injured quarterback, and if that happens we don't need some mentor, we need a legit player who can go in cold and win a few games.

That's not Mark Sanchez.

SAR I

If we think we're a contending team who might need a backup in case Sam goes down for a game or two, the smart choice....if affordable.....and I stress if AFFORDABLE.  Is Brock Osweiler.

1) He's familiar with Gase's system, so we could give more reps to Sam in training camp without losing much.

2) He's an experienced backup....is he worth $10 million + a year....nope....but we should be able to get him on the cheap (last year he signed with the Phins for $880,000) 

3) Again, experience....he's started 30 regular season games, played in 49 and has a career 60% completion rate.  He's also got 2 postseason starts including a home win for the Texans against the Raiders (admittedly though, he didn't play very well).

If we could get him for $1-$2 million a year....sign me up.

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I remember the pre-season game day threads watching him play as a rookie and making excuse after excuse as to why he was throwing incompletions and bad passes.   We were all so hopeful, but deep down inside, we all saw the buttfumble in our future.

Da Nile is a river in Egypt.  I was the same way, then by Year 3 I had really seen enough, but it didn't matter what I thought, Tannenbaum, who picked him, hands him an extension (when he couldn't have been playing worse).

That said, it's understandable for any fan.  Your team takes a QB in the 1st Rd and whiffs....so so brutal, then comes all the bad politics for the next few years because the guys that picked him want to keep their jobs.  Only John Elway gets away with it.

The only areas that Mark Sanchez can mentor Sam Darnold in is bad fashion, bad decision making and bad quarterbacking. 

If you saw him play last year the thought would never enter your mind.  He should take this year off like Joey Bosa, to prepare himself for the AAF entry draft for next season.  Maybe he can change his "throwing motion", as well as his approach to the game, ability to read defenses, and just about every other facet of his game.

He is a nice guy.  Invite him to a cocktail party.  Don't make him your backup quarterback.

1 hour ago, FlightBoyz said:

I was just looking at this unimpressive list of remaining Free Agent QBs and the Sanchize is sitting there with the likes of Osweiler, Geno, Bradford & McCarron. I know he blows but if your going the mentor route for Sammy than don't you think Sanchez is a capable guy to have as a backup? 

xyaug1i882ke3vel0dzg.jpeg

back under the bridge you wanking troll

Whatever Mark could have been was destroyed 6 years ago.  It's a credit to his personability that he was still in the league the last couple years but it's time for him to take his money and ride off into the sunset.  Between his millions and all the hotties he's gotten to lay down with he might be one of the last people on earthy I'd feel sorry for.

5 hours ago, slats said:

I suspect that McCown's announcement that he'll be "taking some time," before deciding whether or not to come back next year is probably foreshadowing. Jets probably told him how much they're willing to give him for another season, and it's no $10M. 

I can't we paid 10 mill for a back up qb. It's crazy. Everytime I think Macc might be ok I remember dumb ass crap like that

7 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

I was just looking at this unimpressive list of remaining Free Agent QBs and the Sanchize is sitting there with the likes of Osweiler, Geno, Bradford & McCarron. I know he blows but if your going the mentor route for Sammy than don't you think Sanchez is a capable guy to have as a backup? 

xyaug1i882ke3vel0dzg.jpeg

Maybe he has an outside chance as number 4 qb ?‍♂️

Archived