Is Mark Sanchez a viable option for Backup QB?

FlightBoyz

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

I was just looking at this unimpressive list of remaining Free Agent QBs and the Sanchize is sitting there with the likes of Osweiler, Geno, Bradford & McCarron. I know he blows but if your going the mentor route for Sammy than don't you think Sanchez is a capable guy to have as a backup? 

xyaug1i882ke3vel0dzg.jpeg

I can see what you're thinking but, I'm past the mentor/QB thing anymore. We had Sanches with his player coach. Sam with his player coach. Now we want to have Sanchez BE a player coach?  How about we have Gase coach Sam and Sam be the big man on campus with David Webb as his underling. That is something that sounds really good and healthy to me. 

Probably best not to bring him back...too many bad memories post 2010.  Not sure we want to burn another draft spot right now for a backup QB with so many holes and there aren't many good options in free agency.  We haven't had much luck with the QBs we've drafted outside the first round.  Interesting to see which way Macc goes with this.  

Anyone who saw Sanchez on the Redskins this year realizes this is never going to happen.

If you think we're going to be a 6-8 win team (which I do) you simply save money and have Webb be the backup. Its his 3rd year, time to find out if he's a viable option long term to back up the starter.

If you think we can contend for a wild card (entirely possible if everything falls right in FA &draft) you look for the  cheaper but more experienced guy like a McCarron. 

Either way I'm not spending $5 mil+ on a Glennon, Osweiler, Bortles type.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

NO, and I could not think of a worse option at backup QB, unless the goal is to ruin Sam's career

this is a man who threw away several chances at becoming a franchise QB and has spent the last 5 years milking teams for money- party over practice, no freaking way

Fitz would actually be worse because every qb he backs up gets injured

Two things:

1. Nobody knows better how to survive the nonsense that New York puts a young QB through than Mark Sanchez. Darnold is going to be facing increased expectations and, subsequently, huge critical backlash sooner than later. It might not be awful to have Sanchez around to help in that area.

2. In the event Darnold goes down for any length of time, you need the Jets to lose all of those games for the draft position. They gain nothing by having Brock Osweiler pick up a few cheap wins at the end of a lost season. Sanchez is toast and will lose those games for you. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Two things:

1. Nobody knows better how to survive the nonsense that New York puts a young QB through than Mark Sanchez. Darnold is going to be facing increased expectations and, subsequently, huge critical backlash sooner than later. It might not be awful to have Sanchez around to help in that area.

2. In the event Darnold goes down for any length of time, you need the Jets to lose all of those games for the draft position. They gain nothing by having Brock Osweiler pick up a few cheap wins at the end of a lost season. Sanchez is toast and will lose those games for you. 

If this is your thinking, then heck... Then " BRING-BACK-THE-HACK!!!"

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

If this is your thinking, then heck... Then " BRING-BACK-THE-HACK!!!"

Hackenberg was a mush. Sanchez blew up and his confidence was paper thin, but to his credit, he handled it well and took his beatings like a man. 

On 3/17/2019 at 8:58 AM, 14 in Green said:

Anyone who saw Sanchez on the Redskins this year realizes this is never going to happen.

If you think we're going to be a 6-8 win team (which I do) you simply save money and have Webb be the backup. Its his 3rd year, time to find out if he's a viable option long term to back up the starter.

If you think we can contend for a wild card (entirely possible if everything falls right in FA &draft) you look for the  cheaper but more experienced guy like a McCarron. 

Either way I'm not spending $5 mil+ on a Glennon, Osweiler, Bortles type.

Ditto! Removes any doubt. 

24 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is a sickness

7 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

This is sad. 

I’m just gonna say it. When people blame “the fans” for holding the Jets back, they’re referring to “fans” like you two. 

20 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I mean I can only speak for myself but that’s who I’m talking about.

Like, vividly. Someone says the Jets fans “suck” or “hurt the team,” I see Brod’s face in my mind like a waking nightmare 

Archived