KRL

Brooks On Bell's Impact

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

Last season, Darnold completed just 62.9 percent of his passes thrown between 1 and 10 yards -- that's dead last among qualified quarterbacks

That’s nuts. I wasn’t aware of this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It is because his slot guy (Kearse)  sucked balls

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Ever watch Trent Cannon on a short wheel route?

Cannon proved he could play last year---special teams

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I saw that mentioned when we got Crowder. It’s a bit worrying.

I think that is also an indictment of Bates. Powell should have helped there, but Bates wasn't very good at game planning or adjustments.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As my life is otherwise rich and full, I have not, in fact, watched Trenton Cannon on a wheel route. 

Lol he ran like 2 last year and one he caught 40 yards downfield and one that he dropped 40 yards downfield.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As my life is otherwise rich and full, I have not, in fact, watched Trenton Cannon on a wheel route. 

This fact, explains some of your analysis. Sometimes you need to watch.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, pre injury counts in Sam’s stats over his rookie season.  

It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Lol he ran like 2 last year and one he caught 40 yards downfield and one that he dropped 40 yards downfield.

68 catch percentage. 25 targets. Many near the line.

37 minutes ago, Larz said:

Did the jets really get darnold and bell? 

"then"

53 minutes ago, jack48 said:

this. was thinking the 1-10 yd range was mostly at WRs with guys absolutely draped all over them

• Upvote 1

That year off might be the biggest thing that keeps him effective into his second contract. If he gets something close to 2k all purpose yards I have to wonder if maybe THAT becomes a new trend, take a year off, take care of your body and come back as good as ever with less risk of getting rundown. Not everyone will do it but I think it could be a good idea in this league.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Things to look forward to, offensively.

All things equal I feel alright with these five as the team's primary offensive weapons. However it's the team's offensive depth and Darnold's development that will determine whether or not it's a playoff unit, let alone be championship contenders.

I look at this and feel encouraged but I'm worried about one or two injuries throwing the whole thing off.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

All things equal I feel alright with these five as the team's primary offensive weapons. However it's the team's offensive depth and Darnold's development that will determine whether or not it's a playoff unit, let alone be championship contenders.

I look at this and feel encouraged but I'm worried about one or two injuries throwing the whole thing off.

Agree..we have Crowder now too but we significantly need more ball players that can step in at OL and WR.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Trenton Cannon will be reminiscing about how great his wheel routes were to 40 year old white men at his local YMCA in about 9 months.

33 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

That year off might be the biggest thing that keeps him effective into his second contract. If he gets something close to 2k all purpose yards I have to wonder if maybe THAT becomes a new trend, take a year off, take care of your body and come back as good as ever with less risk of getting rundown. Not everyone will do it but I think it could be a good idea in this league.

If he get's 2K all purpose yards...we're going to the playoffs.

I would bet, if he stays healthy he falls in the 1600 range.

Good article.  Only surprise was the # of 100 yards plus games put up by "Shady" McCoy.  Now for LeVeon Bell.  My only concerns bringing him in were his contract and attitude.  The contract turned out to be a non issue.  So far, the concerns about his attitude were also "fools gold".  In fact he has been great.  And sincere.  His game will be unaffected by the layoff. 

There is no other back in the league with the versatility and offensive impact that Bell possesses.  Gase should be giddy.  We should be too. This is going to be fun to watch.  Curtis Martin and Freeman McNeil on steroids +++.  Great times ahead.

I've been on board with Bell solely for what I think he can do for Sam's development.  It's not about what I think he can do to help the team win.  Sam playing like a #3 overall pick is the only thing that's truly going to impact the win column.  That said, Bell was the best guy in FA to help Sam get there, so you just have to hope it works like planned.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

i don't see where the short passing percentage for darnold is that troubling.  you gotta consider the people he was throwing too plus how good the pass rush was.  also, he was about 58% overall so that means his longer passes must have had a pretty good reception rate.  and even there so much is dependent on the wr's and oline.

obviously if it doesn't get much better this season it's cause for concern..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jack48 said:

the RBs didn't help at all. None of them. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

i don't see where the short passing percentage for darnold is that troubling.  you gotta consider the people he was throwing too plus how good the pass rush was.  also, he was about 58% overall so that means his longer passes must have had a pretty good reception rate.  and even there so much is dependent on the wr's and oline.

obviously if it doesn't get much better this season it's cause for concern..

It's also a pretty useless stat if you don't know the context. How many of those incompletions were screen plays that were blown up and Darnold was throwing it away. 

Either way, Darnold was really good after he returned from injury and that was without Bell/Crowder/Enunwa (only 1 game). Now we have a better offensive mind and we lost Bowles. All signs point up for Darnold. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, jack48 said:

Exactly.  I mean all the drops and screwed up routes unfortunately screwed Sam

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Larz said:

Did the jets really get darnold and bell? 

My ass is so sore from all the pinching...but I was woke!

• Haha 1

Now we see what we have in a Darnold.

I think it’s really key that Gase and LevBell are both Spartans...an exceptional talent like LB 100% riding for his coach being an example for his teammates and them following behind can lead to some magical sh#t. I hope they work out whatever kinks in the offense/team early and consistently improve...this team (players/coaches) has  Cinderella story capability ALL OVER IT. The kind that the national media eat the F up.