Brooks On Bell's Impact

KRL

Bucky Brooks on how Bell impacts the offense:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001022892/article/browns-follow-eaglesrams-blueprint-antonio-browns-outlook

1) Le'Veon Bell's about to reclaim the throne. The Twitter-verse can debate whether Le'Veon Bell took an "L" on his new four-year, $52 million deal with the New York Jets, but I believe the year-long sabbatical could help the two-time first-team All-Pro running back reclaim the No. 1 spot at his position.

I know that's an unpopular opinion at a time when everyone is counting No. 26's money, but the time away from the game could help Gang Green's new RB1 regain the juice that made him the NFL's most dangerous offensive weapon. Remember, Bell's career average of 129.0 scrimmage yards per game is the best mark in NFL history. Over the past five seasons, the 27-year-old is tied with Julio Jones and LeSean McCoy for the most games of 100-plus scrimmage yards with 37 -- despite the fact that Bell missed 31 games, including the entire 2018 season, during that span. Think about that. There is no disputing his spot on the Mt. Rushmore of offensive playmakers in the league today.

For the Jets, Bell is exactly what the team needs behind Sam Darnold. The young QB1 shouldered too much of the load as a rookie -- Bell's presence will change how defenses game plan against the Jets. Instead of using coverage or blitz-based tactics to confuse Darnold, opponents will need to use more traditional schemes to put extra defenders in the box. This should result in more one-on-one coverage on the outside, leading to easier throws for Darnold from the pocket. Being a sidekick to the Jets' QB1 appealed to Bell.

"Absolutely," said Bell in his introductory conference call with the press. "That's a part of it. Seeing a guy like him, so raw and so talented. Maybe he just needs another weapon. You never know what he can do with another weapon. He definitely was a valuable reason as to why I chose to come here."

Last season, Darnold completed just 62.9 percent of his passes thrown between 1 and 10 yards -- that's dead last among qualified quarterbacks and speaks to why New York needed Bell in the lineup. For his career, Bell averages 5.0 receptions per game -- and he snagged 160 balls over his last two years in Pittsburgh. As an effective route runner from the backfield, slot or out wide, Bell gives Darnold a dependable safety valve to target when the defense takes away downfield options with blanket coverage. Keep in mind: New Jets head coach Adam Gase has always been a believer in the "10 yards and under" passing game. By targeting running backs, receivers and tight ends within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, Gase plans on his quarterback getting the ball out of his hands before pass rushers can collapse the pocket off the edges.

With Bell expected to play a prominent role as an RB1/WR2, the Jets have added a weapon that will help the offense develop an identity with a young quarterback still finding his way. You know Gase is excited. Just look at the way he spoke of Bell back in 2016, when his Dolphins were preparing to play the Steelers on Wild Card Weekend.

"I paid attention to him when he was in college, being a Michigan State grad myself," Gase said, per the New York Post. "Seeing him go from what they did at Michigan State, where they are power football. I remember him being a big guy, that was downhill, and seeing him be a guy who has transformed his body and can do everything in the run game. The weapon he is out of the backfield and when he is removed from the backfield and empty, and all the different things they can do with him with the route tree he has.

"It's very impressive to see how he has grown as a player from the time he was drafted. If he is not the best in the league, he is one of the top three. I just can't think of a lot of guys who are as versatile as he is. He is a weapon for them."

Now he's a weapon for Gase. Have fun, coach.

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

Last season, Darnold completed just 62.9 percent of his passes thrown between 1 and 10 yards -- that's dead last among qualified quarterbacks

That’s nuts. I wasn’t aware of this.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As my life is otherwise rich and full, I have not, in fact, watched Trenton Cannon on a wheel route. 

Lol he ran like 2 last year and one he caught 40 yards downfield and one that he dropped 40 yards downfield.

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s nuts. I wasn’t aware of this.

Crowell had hands like feet, Cannon catches the ball like someone just tossed him a bag of eels, and Anderson dropped or fumbled every short pass in traffic ever thrown to him. Aside from that, it was great. 

I was luke warm on Bell before we signed him but since then I've been blown away by what I'm reading about him.   Had no idea he was a generational player.  The fact that his contract was favorable for us and that we got to cut crowell (whom I truely disliked for oh so many reasons and whom I thought we were stuck with for one more year) adding $3M back to our cap is just outstanding.  

and this: ......Being a sidekick to the Jets' QB1 appealed to Bell.

"Absolutely," said Bell in his introductory conference call with the press. "That's a part of it. Seeing a guy like him, so raw and so talented. Maybe he just needs another weapon. You never know what he can do with another weapon. He definitely was a valuable reason as to why I chose to come here."

So, I'm all...."can't wait" :) 

That year off might be the biggest thing that keeps him effective into his second contract. If he gets something close to 2k all purpose yards I have to wonder if maybe THAT becomes a new trend, take a year off, take care of your body and come back as good as ever with less risk of getting rundown. Not everyone will do it but I think it could be a good idea in this league.

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Things to look forward to, offensively.

All things equal I feel alright with these five as the team's primary offensive weapons. However it's the team's offensive depth and Darnold's development that will determine whether or not it's a playoff unit, let alone be championship contenders.

I look at this and feel encouraged but I'm worried about one or two injuries throwing the whole thing off.

4 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

All things equal I feel alright with these five as the team's primary offensive weapons. However it's the team's offensive depth and Darnold's development that will determine whether or not it's a playoff unit, let alone be championship contenders.

I look at this and feel encouraged but I'm worried about one or two injuries throwing the whole thing off.

Agree..we have Crowder now too but we significantly need more ball players that can step in at OL and WR.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Lol he ran like 2 last year and one he caught 40 yards downfield and one that he dropped 40 yards downfield.

Trenton Cannon will be reminiscing about how great his wheel routes were to 40 year old white men at his local YMCA in about 9 months.

33 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

That year off might be the biggest thing that keeps him effective into his second contract. If he gets something close to 2k all purpose yards I have to wonder if maybe THAT becomes a new trend, take a year off, take care of your body and come back as good as ever with less risk of getting rundown. Not everyone will do it but I think it could be a good idea in this league.

If he get's 2K all purpose yards...we're going to the playoffs.

I would bet, if he stays healthy he falls in the 1600 range.

Good article.  Only surprise was the # of 100 yards plus games put up by "Shady" McCoy.  Now for LeVeon Bell.  My only concerns bringing him in were his contract and attitude.  The contract turned out to be a non issue.  So far, the concerns about his attitude were also "fools gold".  In fact he has been great.  And sincere.  His game will be unaffected by the layoff. 

There is no other back in the league with the versatility and offensive impact that Bell possesses.  Gase should be giddy.  We should be too. This is going to be fun to watch.  Curtis Martin and Freeman McNeil on steroids +++.  Great times ahead.

I've been on board with Bell solely for what I think he can do for Sam's development.  It's not about what I think he can do to help the team win.  Sam playing like a #3 overall pick is the only thing that's truly going to impact the win column.  That said, Bell was the best guy in FA to help Sam get there, so you just have to hope it works like planned.

i don't see where the short passing percentage for darnold is that troubling.  you gotta consider the people he was throwing too plus how good the pass rush was.  also, he was about 58% overall so that means his longer passes must have had a pretty good reception rate.  and even there so much is dependent on the wr's and oline.

obviously if it doesn't get much better this season it's cause for concern..

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

i don't see where the short passing percentage for darnold is that troubling.  you gotta consider the people he was throwing too plus how good the pass rush was.  also, he was about 58% overall so that means his longer passes must have had a pretty good reception rate.  and even there so much is dependent on the wr's and oline.

obviously if it doesn't get much better this season it's cause for concern..

It's also a pretty useless stat if you don't know the context. How many of those incompletions were screen plays that were blown up and Darnold was throwing it away. 

Either way, Darnold was really good after he returned from injury and that was without Bell/Crowder/Enunwa (only 1 game). Now we have a better offensive mind and we lost Bowles. All signs point up for Darnold. 

I think it’s really key that Gase and LevBell are both Spartans...an exceptional talent like LB 100% riding for his coach being an example for his teammates and them following behind can lead to some magical sh#t. I hope they work out whatever kinks in the offense/team early and consistently improve...this team (players/coaches) has  Cinderella story capability ALL OVER IT. The kind that the national media eat the F up.

Archived