I am very happy so far, rebuild ahead of schedule IMHO

SouthernJet

what can I say, I am happy. I see 2019 meaningful games in December, in this the 2nd year of rebuild.

I see 2020 as  (barring disaster injuries en masse) a year where we have a team that can make a serious p[layoff run, forget scratching into the wildcard.

Main thing though I see is starting in 2019 maybe, but 2020 I see us making the playoffs for quite a few years. part of rebuild wasnt just players, but philosophy. I think we figured it out. I hope Chris Johnson is still here as I think he 'gets it' better than Woody.

Bleed Green. Stay loyal, dont give up. Our time will come. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJ5XsX-p5k

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Chris Johnson is still here as I think he 'gets it' better than Woody.

Sounds like you do too.  Getting rid of Todd Bowles is a major upgrade.  I like the addition of Gase, Williams and Co. as well as the retention of Boyer. It will be great to have a competent, engaged and proactive coaching staff.  How refreshing.

The offseason additions share the common thread of being upper tier free agents who are aggressive, young and talented.  Bell was a coupe, the jewel of the free agent class.  The cap money has been spent well and wisely.  The "culture" feels like it has changed.  That's the best and most important part of the rebuild.  Major building blocks are in place, now let's keep it going.

We have the QB I am convinced of that so it could be.  Unfortunately we also have perhaps the worst drafting gm with no real plan so that is an issue.

To be a good team long term the franchise qb has to be good, the coaching has to be decent and you need at least adequate drafting.

At the rate Mac is adding pieces Darnold will be 35 before he assembles a roster.

I'd rather have had another quality O-lineman the the LB we got.

I would have preferred we keep our kicker.

Other than that, it's been ok.  Better on paper than it could have been.

Bell + a maybe good O-lineman + a slot guy is ok.  Still need a #1 WR and one-two more O-linemen.

This is actually year 3 of the rebuild. First there was the dump everyone year and we win 5 games and everyone thinks Bowles is a good coach for getting us the 5 wins. Then last season was figuring out what we have in Darnold. Its now year 3 and its time for a playoff run right now! Mac still have a lot of work to do - mainly on the O line imo. If he can put together 2 more decent starters we will make that playoff run. Get to work Mac!

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ahead of schedule?  It's year 5. 

I think this one is year 2 as they let bowles die on vine and made player and cap moves designed to stink in 2018 and have a new coach and DC in 2019.. i think chris Johnson and Mac had a Mtg where they said Bowles and his friend Kacy the Court Jester of XsOs and ingame adjustments is a idiot and we will start rebuilding with new coaches in mind 2019

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We have the QB I am convinced of that so it could be.  Unfortunately we also have perhaps the worst drafting gm with no real plan so that is an issue.

To be a good team long term the franchise qb has to be good, the coaching has to be decent and you need at least adequate drafting.

At the rate Mac is adding pieces Darnold will be 35 before he assembles a roster.

most FA signings are done 3-10 days after 1st day of Free Agency. Look ta Pats. They will end up signing 6 guys you never heard of for cheap bucks.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Which rebuild?

the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th?

This is year 2 of the 3rd Macc rebuild. The first two failed. The third one though. This is the one.

I’m optimistic about the team. Let’s see how the rest of free agency goes and the draft. I think we are 2 edge rushers, a center and a corner away from being serious contenders.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Other than that, it's been ok.  Better than worse.

ya we need OL bad, kicker was lots of dough, lots of dough.. I hope we cab get 1 or 2 short term Vet OL on cap cuts hoit before season starts. Then work the draft picks/ UDFAs in as depth. Have to get a Center,, just sign vet center guy w/smartest wunderlic as Center calls blocking assignments at LOS. ☹️

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Reconstruction took like a hundred years 

go back to the cinema.. i actually like captive state with John Goodman,,decent sc-fi, bot getting a oscar but kepy my interest up  enuf whhere I didnt have to pull hle in popcorn gag ?

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Bell + a maybe good O-lineman + a slot guy is ok.  Still need a #1 WR and one-two more O-linemen.

There really wasn't a #1 WR available in FA.

Are you looking for a trade or to catch lightning in the draft (trade back or Rd 3 or later)?

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

High praise...

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Green beer is disgusting slop for amateurs. Drink a Guiness, Murphys, Beamish, Harp, or Smithwicks if you have a beer tomorrow. 

Green beer is the Jets color and its St.Patricks Day eve................Budweiser is my beer of choice..Thanks 

13 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

There really wasn't a #1 WR available in FA.

Are you looking for a trade or to catch lightning in the draft (trade back or Rd 3 or later)?

I would trade down, draft the top O-lineman in the Draft, then spend all my picks to move our 3rd as high as possible to get the best #1 WR propsect possible.

I don't think losing those 6th's and 7th mean much tbqh.

Sadly, I am all but sure we're standing pat and drafting more Defense.  Fine, but that unit better be elite with all the investment in it.

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The good news is Mac will either learn how to draft much wiser, and learn to actually value the offensive line. If he fails at either, he is gone very soon

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If you polled league executives 5 years ago, Ted Thompson, John Elway and Ozzie Newsome would have been in the top 3 of all GMs in the league - how do those guys look now?  

Ozzie was very good, but also whiffed on multiple early picks (Bresahrd Perriman - picking for need not BPA, Tyus Bowser????, Matt Elam and Arthur Brown).  

Thompson has only one SB win with a top 5 QB all time and could never find a RB or build a defense and completely failed to see the shift to free agency once the rookie cap came into play.

Aside from Peyton simply picking the broncos as their defense was loaded, John Elway is a DISASTER, and as bad as the Hackenberg pick was, he actually traded up for paxton lynch, signed case keenum to a crazy contract and then traded for Joe Flacco.

My point is Mac's job is actually difficult.  Yes, I think these guys make it harder on themselves in a lot of ways, and Mac has made some poor signings and many poor picks, but I think its magnified for the fans of the individual teams.  We rip the Jets for so many failed 2nd rounders, but it happens to every team (yes in varying percentages) but we just dont know about it when the Cardinals or Eagles miss on a second rounder, it not on our radar. The GM needs to learn on the job too, and given how team friendly all 3 of the FA contracts are, it appears Mac is thinking differently which is great.

Do I think we need a center - absolutely.  But we came away with an elite guard, top 3 RB, and while we overpaid, we got a 4 time pro bowl ILB who is excellent in coverage (zone), tackling and blitzing.  It also appears that we have a competent head coach and DC who our GM is listening to.  All this, along with a true franchise QB, who isn't even 22 yet.

Just as Peyton did for Elway, and Rogers did for Thompson, Sam will erase a lot of mistakes.  What Mac, or whoever the GM is needs to realize is that we can't make crippling mistakes.  We have to hit on this top 3 pick - or trade out of it.  We can't have multiple Trumaine Johnsons.  

Lets hope we can figure out center, carry over some cap space to keep filling holes, because besides the on the field ability, Sam gives usthe flexibility to move down in the draft and acquire more picksfor the next 15 years since we dont need a QB.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I would trade down, draft the top O-lineman in the Draft, then spend all my picks to move our 3rd as high as possible to get the best #1 WR propsect possible.

I don't think losing those 6th's and 7th mean much tbqh.

Sadly, I am all but sure we're standing pat and drafting more Defense.  Fine, but that unit better be elite with all the investment in it.

Mac and his apologists excuses were Todd Bowles was the reason for the heavy hand Of D. We shall see if we draft offensive more in first few rounds for first time in a decade

59 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

I think this one is year 2 as they let bowles die on vine and made player and cap moves designed to stink in 2018 and have a new coach and DC in 2019.. i think chris Johnson and Mac had a Mtg where they said Bowles and his friend Kacy the Court Jester of XsOs and ingame adjustments is a idiot and we will start rebuilding with new coaches in mind 2019

Hoping Johnson told Mac all your excuses have been fired! Either you nail FA and the draft or you will be on the next flight to TB to join them!

30 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

There is no rebuild without a franchise QB. It began last year. What happened prior was holding a team together with paperclips.

Yeah sadly that’s pretty much it. Starts and end with Sam. Drafting Christian Hackenburgh ate time like a freaking black hole. 

Le'Veon Bell - defense must account for him on every play, he makes everyone else better,, he brings 3 pro bowls and 1st team all pro credentials . Impact player. 

Kelechi Osemele - beast offensive line addition brings nasty attitude and superbowl experience and 1st team all pro credentials . Impact player. 

CJ Mosely - total stud, brings 4 time pro bowls abr 2nd team all pro credentials from the black and blue division. sideline to sideline tackling machine with a knack for interceptions. Impact player. 

Jamison Crowder - slot receiver that during his first three pro campaigns averaged 64 catches, 747 receiving yards and four scores, giving Sam a quality option underneath. 

Bringing Anderson and McClendon back on dline means they have some draft flexibility, they don't have to take dline for need. 

Sure there are needs but they brought in some legit studs and have assets to keep building 

Archived