I am very happy so far, rebuild ahead of schedule IMHO

SouthernJet

45 minutes ago, section314 said:

Would have been shown the door in January, as he should have been anyway.

Yeah but does that mean the rebuild is delayed until we find that QB?>...the answer is no.  100% no.  That's the whole point here.  The fact we're having this debate is insane.  It is a simple as this:

Sam joining a good roster > Sam joining the worst team in Football

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team certainly seems to have turned the proverbial corner but let's not fool ourselves here.  This is year FIVE of Mac's rebuild, and unless the team takes a big leap forward this year, I think he's gone. 

Don't get me wrong, I want so badly for some day in the near future to be having a deep discussion on this board about how Mac is the most overrated GM in the history of the NFL after finally leading the Jets to a Super Bowl victory.  8-)

8 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The team certainly seems to have turned the proverbial corner but let's not fool ourselves here.  This is year FIVE of Mac's rebuild, and unless the team takes a big leap forward this year, I think he's gone. 

Don't get me wrong, I want so badly for some day in the near future to be having a deep discussion on this board about how Mac is the most overrated GM in the history of the NFL after finally leading the Jets to a Super Bowl victory.  8-)

It's year three of the total rebuild.  They decided to tear it down after 2016 and started this total rebuild then.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

My bad, you didnt say it.  You just posted that it was so obvious and that many fail to get it.  And I countered with the fact that it wasnt true.  It wasnt an argument, its not anger.  

You had to go off.

Same thing.  

Youre responses are typical.  Especially the idea that I'm angry when its apparent a differing opinion gets you angry and sets you off

I am SO set off.

40 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah but does that mean the rebuild is delayed until we find that QB?>...the answer is no.  100% no.  That's the whole point here.  The fact we're having this debate is insane.  It is a simple as this:

Sam joining a good roster > Sam joining the worst team in Football

Agree with you 100%.  The only 5 year plan worse than Macc's was Mao's.?

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Agree with you 100%.  The only 5 year plan worse than Macc's was Mao's.?

It's my very favorite thingy on this board.  Mac inherited a 4-12 team but he wasnt rebuilding when he took over...

lol

but yet, if Leo, Smith, Mauldin and Petty all hit...well then, it was the start of the rebuild but since they didnt and the Jets signed some old dudes along the way, it's not a rebuild.  Oh yeah and then the next season when they took a QB in the 2nd round, they still werent rebuilding.  It wasnt until the following year when they passed on a QB for a Safety that the real rebuild started but that one actually didnt count either because the Jets hadnt found Sam Darnold, so now we're finally rebuilding after 4 years of being a bottom 3 team in the entire NFL over the time frame.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

It's my very favorite thingy on this board.  Mac inherited a 4-12 team but he wasnt rebuilding when he took over...

lol

but yet, if Leo, Smith, Mauldin and Petty all hit...well then, it was the start of the rebuild but since they didnt and the Jets signed some old dudes along the way, it's not a rebuild.  Oh yeah and then the next season when they took a QB in the 2nd round, they still werent rebuilding.  It wasnt until the following year when they passed on a QB for a Safety that the real rebuild started but that one actually didnt count either because the Jets hadnt found Sam Darnold, so now we're finally rebuilding after 4 years of being a bottom 3 team in the entire NFL over the time frame.

The Jets had been building under idzik, he saved cap money to go nuts in 2015 but was fired before he could spend.  The Jets decided to use their old strategy of spending big to have a quick turnaround, it mostly worked if not for an incompetent coach.  They tried one more year with the older players, it didn't work and the decision came from Woody to tear it all down rather than apply band aids to try to compete for a playoff spot.  

Macc has been far from perfect but his great Sheldon Richardson trade helped make the great trade up to number three which resulted in the best QB prospect we have had since Joe namath.  We now have a cheap, young QB to build around and they saved cap room to add players this year.  We still have a ton of cap room, we still have high picks and we had a more talent than most realize.  

rebuild ahead of schedule IMHO

There is no universe where a "rebuild" is "ahead of schedule" going into it's fifth season.

There is no debate that the first two years of our post-Idzik "rebuild" was wasted due to a poor attempt to compete combined with absolutely horrid and dysfunctional drafting and team building by the GM.

This is not year two of Macc's Era.  If we were in year 2, we'd be on schedule, not ahead.

We're in year 5.  We're materially behind schedule.  But at least we're finally maybe starting to look up....

RE: The Current Rebuild,,, Mosley gets cut after 2021 and Bell after 2020, by design, so if you’re including them in your imagined future, you should rethink that. The only two players guaranteed to be on the roster three years from now are Darnold and Adams, and whichever poor bastard we draft this year. So this incarnation of The Rebuild has a two year window, which is hahaha

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The Jets had been building under idzik, he saved cap money to go nuts in 2015 but was fired before he could spend.  The Jets decided to use their old strategy of spending big to have a quick turnaround, it mostly worked if not for an incompetent coach.  They tried one more year with the older players, it didn't work and the decision came from Woody to tear it all down rather than apply band aids to try to compete for a playoff spot.  

Macc has been far from perfect but his great Sheldon Richardson trade helped make the great trade up to number three which resulted in the best QB prospect we have had since Joe namath.  We now have a cheap, young QB to build around and they saved cap room to add players this year.  We still have a ton of cap room, we still have high picks and we had a more talent than most realize.  

They werent planning a quick turnaround; Geno was the starter before he got his jaw broken.  They signed Gilchrest and Skrine in their prime.  The only "old" players they signed was Cro and that ridiculous contract to Harris.  They also pursued younger players.  They traded a 7th for Fitz and a 5th for Marshall.  Revis was still in his late 20's, they didnt know he was going to completely check out and be rendered useless at 30 years old.  They drafted a DT, WR, Edge Rusher and QB - all rebuild positions.  

Acting like Mac wasnt trying to build for the future from the day he got here is just lying to yourself and I dont really get why.  

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

RE: The Current Rebuild,,, Mosley gets cut after 2021 and Bell after 2020, by design, so if you’re including them in your imagined future, you should rethink that. The only two players guaranteed to be on the roster three years from now are Darnold and Adams, and whichever poor bastard we draft this year. So this incarnation of The Rebuild has a two year window, which is hahaha

Mac has had 28 draft picks since he joined the Jets, none of which were drafted to help rebuild a talent deprived roster.

- Jets fans

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Thanks, Soothsayer

13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I look at what Gettelman is doing now and it is comparable to Macc a few years ago

A few years ago, Gettelman was the GM of the Panthers and they went to the Super Bowl.

Fun comparison! 

On 3/16/2019 at 5:21 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Which rebuild?

the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th?

good points all.  i can't say i'm very happy with the progress so far.  missing on mahommes was huge even if bowles wouldn't have known how to play to his strengths.  and that was compounded by missing all of the second rounders.

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

They werent planning a quick turnaround; Geno was the starter before he got his jaw broken.  They signed Gilchrest and Skrine in their prime.  The only "old" players they signed was Cro and that ridiculous contract to Harris.  They also pursued younger players.  They traded a 7th for Fitz and a 5th for Marshall.  Revis was still in his late 20's, they didnt know he was going to completely check out and be rendered useless at 30 years old.  They drafted a DT, WR, Edge Rusher and QB - all rebuild positions.  

Acting like Mac wasnt trying to build for the future from the day he got here is just lying to yourself and I dont really get why.  

They were trying to win in 2015, all those FA moves were designed to make the playoffs in 2015.  Of course they were also trying to acquire players to build around in the draft but they were going for it as they did after 2007.  They tried again in 2016, they failed miserably after coming close in 2015.  It was at that time they decided to completely tear it down and start a total rebuild.

14 hours ago, BCJet said:

I dont see crowder as a gamble as he received a fair free agent contract.  EVERY player gets "over paid" in free agency.

Paul Richardson got 4 for $32 and he was/is a much bigger risk then crowder.  

We paid a fair value for the next 3 years of Crowder's career - the raise hes getting now from last year is irrelevant.  As an NFL player he is worth approximately $7-9 million per.  Lets hope he stays healthy, because he will produce that level of value

I think you misunderstand me. I could g.a.f. about the money we paid Crowder. Any FA wide receiver is paid more than his proven worth... 

My remark was addressing the "we're fine at WR" statement --> which i said; We're not fine... we just think we are, because this is the way of the Jets. This is when most teams draft a WR to groom for a year or so.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

A few years ago, Gettelman was the GM of the Panthers and they went to the Super Bowl.

Fun comparison! 

With a team that had all the key pieces and the HC in place before he got there.  

Gettleman is doing an awful job with the Giants (and he was mostly bad in Carolina) and he will be out of a job within 2 years adding to the list of coaches, GMs and players that have been shipped out as a result of trusting Eli Manning 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

There is no universe where a "rebuild" is "ahead of schedule" going into it's fifth season.

There is no debate that the first two years of our post-Idzik "rebuild" was wasted due to a poor attempt to compete combined with absolutely horrid and dysfunctional drafting and team building by the GM.

This is not year two of Macc's Era.  If we were in year 2, we'd be on schedule, not ahead.

We're in year 5.  We're materially behind schedule.  But at least we're finally maybe starting to look up....

True. So lets call it a re-rebuild.

All you have to say is ‘rebuild’ and the arguments write themselves.

A: Here are some facts.

B: No, those are all wrong, what really happened was...

A: But, these are facts.

B: You’re a snowflake!!! Don’t personally attack me!!!

I mean, it’s pretty much modeling current political discourse... “it makes me appear weak, stupid or rotten...so FAKE NEWS!!!”

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

With a team that had all the key pieces and the HC in place before he got there.  

Gettleman is doing an awful job with the Giants (and he was mostly bad in Carolina) and he will be out of a job within 2 years adding to the list of coaches, GMs and players that have been shipped out as a result of trusting Eli Manning 

Eli Manning has been with the Giants since 2004.  They are on their third head coach.  He's hardly a coach killer.  In the same time period, the Jets are on their 5th.  The Browns on their 8th.  The Giants are on their 3rd GM.  The first Accorsi retired and has not returned to football in any capacity beyond "adviser" or "consultant."   He wasn't exactly run out by Manning.  The Browns are on their 8th. I think Mayfield has run more coaches out of town than Eli and he's been in the League less than a full year. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

All you have to say is ‘rebuild’ and the arguments write themselves.

A: Here are some facts.

B: No, those are all wrong, what really happened was...

A: But, these are facts.

B: You’re a snowflake!!! Don’t personally attack me!!!

I mean, it’s pretty much modeling current political discourse... “it makes me appear weak, stupid or rotten...so FAKE NEWS!!!”

I don't know why you get into these fights or how you manage to lose them.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Well said.

We also seem to finally have a QB. This is everything. Nothing is as it was.

If Sam year 2 validates the promise shown in year 1, Macc and Co. will get to keep playing whether any of you like it or not.

6 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Well said.

We also seem to finally have a QB. This is everything. Nothing is as it was.

If Sam year 2 validates the promise shown in year 1, Macc and Co. will get to keep playing whether any of you like it or not.

Agreed. 

If the Darnold-led Jets wins 9 or more games, and he throws for say, 3,800 Yards and 20 TD's (or more) etc. then almost assuredly Macc gets an extension, and we can debate him for another five years or more......

Conversely, if the Jets are a losing team (7-9 or worse) in 2019, I think Macc gets fired, regardless of Darnold's play. 

Another losing year would make Macc a 4 of 5 loser as a GM, and this year he has little excuses, he has HIS (2nd) Chosen-One QB, had a ton of cap money to spend (and has spent), and a new, 2nd, Coach to work with (eliminating the "it was all Bowles!" excuse).  

But that one move, Darnold, where he lucked into this specific player, will likely make or break Macc's GM career.

No pressure Sam.

Archived