I am very happy so far, rebuild ahead of schedule IMHO

SouthernJet

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We have the QB I am convinced of that so it could be.  Unfortunately we also have perhaps the worst drafting gm with no real plan so that is an issue.

To be a good team long term the franchise qb has to be good, the coaching has to be decent and you need at least adequate drafting.

At the rate Mac is adding pieces Darnold will be 35 before he assembles a roster.

I actually think who is GM won’t even matter at this point.  

Maccagnan is horrific at drafting, but all he has to do now is make sure Darnold gets adequate protection and that the D is also just adequate.

Maccagnan will be GM for at least the next 10 years as he rides like a barnacle on Darnold’s back.

The coaching needs to only be adequate too.

This team pretty much won 8 games last year with Darnold going 1 on 11 along with having the worst HC I’ve ever seen in Bowles.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Le'Veon Bell - defense must account for him on every play, he makes everyone else better,, he brings 3 pro bowls and 1st team all pro credentials . Impact player. 

Kelechi Osemele - beast offensive line addition brings nasty attitude and superbowl experience and 1st team all pro credentials . Impact player. 

CJ Mosely - total stud, brings 4 time pro bowls abr 2nd team all pro credentials from the black and blue division. sideline to sideline tackling machine with a knack for interceptions. Impact player. 

Jamison Crowder - slot receiver that during his first three pro campaigns averaged 64 catches, 747 receiving yards and four scores, giving Sam a quality option underneath. 

Bringing Anderson and McClendon back on dline means they have some draft flexibility, they don't have to take dline for need. 

Sure there are needs but they brought in some legit studs and have assets to keep building 

All these moves were part of plan A well maybe not Mosely plan A2. Some complain about the Center position but both top FA got costly contracts the Jets felt as grossly over paying no matter what fans may think. FA and the draft are not over with then you have roster  cuts. Contrary to what some think Jets are on plan and moving forward. As for the players the Jets released they had a figure in mind for each that was below that of the players. Test the market and go from there. Some got there price and walked. 

2 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

what can I say, I am happy. I see 2019 meaningful games in December, in this the 2nd year of rebuild.

I see 2020 as  (barring disaster injuries en masse) a year where we have a team that can make a serious p[layoff run, forget scratching into the wildcard.

Main thing though I see is starting in 2019 maybe, but 2020 I see us making the playoffs for quite a few years. part of rebuild wasnt just players, but philosophy. I think we figured it out. I hope Chris Johnson is still here as I think he 'gets it' better than Woody.

Bleed Green. Stay loyal, dont give up. Our time will come. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJ5XsX-p5k

Agreed. It’s good to see positivity. I mean for the first time in like 50 years we have a young QB who looks like the real deal.  Despite what some day we also have other young pieces.  We have added pro bowl caliber talent in free agency. Plus we have a top 3 pick to land another impact player. Look I’m not naive it’s still gonna take time but we are on the right track

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Green beer is disgusting slop for amateurs. Drink a Guiness, Murphys, Beamish, Harp, or Smithwicks if you have a beer tomorrow. 

Try... 

Goose Island: Bourbon County Brand Stout (ages up to 5 years in the bottle) Awesome sh!t...a man's drink!

Ballast Point: Victory At Sea (Imperial Porter with notes of coffee & vanilla aged in bourbon barrels)

Stone Brewing: Arrogant Bastard ( says on the bottle "you're not worthy" and it continues on with insults)  I drink it anyway.

Lagunitas: Undercover Investigation Shut Down Ale ( has something to do with Bloody Sunday )

New Holland: Dragons Milk (bourbon barrel aged stout_roasted & malty)

I need these...to drown out the misery of Jets losses.  Courage in the bottle...to be foolish enough...and turn on next Sunday's game.

:cheers:

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Which rebuild?

the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th?

That's because it's very very hard to successfully have a legit rebuild...here it comes...without a FQB! 

You don't spend big for talent to surround perennial backups like Fitz or McCown.  Even if you're fortunate enough to have one or two decent fun seasons with them...you'll end up having to rebuild again.  

This is year 2 of a legit rebuild. And it's a shame to have wasted Darnold's first year on a rookie contract under Bowles. 

Now we have a 4 year window left to surround Darnold and the D to go get the Lombardi Trophy.  And I feel more confident with Gase & Williams that it can get done.

Let me also add this.  It's more sensible for Darnold to succeed when you surround him with talent. So it is true with Mac. Remember...he didn't pick Bowles...it was a forced marriage.  Now that Mac is surrounded with better talent (Gase & Gregg) I expect him to succeed.  IMO...so far...he doing it. There's more mutual respect between these three then there was before. And with the GM-HC-DC collaboration...I think it will carry over into the draft.  

Jets are in a much better situation then they've been in a long time. And with a legit young FQB...it shouldn't end soon

13 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

what can I say, I am happy. I see 2019 meaningful games in December, in this the 2nd year of rebuild.

I see 2020 as  (barring disaster injuries en masse) a year where we have a team that can make a serious p[layoff run, forget scratching into the wildcard.

Main thing though I see is starting in 2019 maybe, but 2020 I see us making the playoffs for quite a few years. part of rebuild wasnt just players, but philosophy. I think we figured it out. I hope Chris Johnson is still here as I think he 'gets it' better than Woody.

Bleed Green. Stay loyal, dont give up. Our time will come. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

I just wish Macc was a more proven drafter.  We have two drafts before the 2020 season and that is where I think we can really round out the team.  But Macc is drafting, and everyone thinks he is awful at it......I suspect that Bowles had more impact on the draft than people think.  Darron Lee?  How could that have been a Macc Number One?  Bowles was clearly the favored son of Chris Johnson until he failed so utterly.  We shall find out.  I am encouraged by the coaching staff here.  Macc will get better input.  All Bowles seemed to do with his off seasons was to pack on pounds.

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'd rather have had another quality O-lineman the the LB we got.

I would have preferred we keep our kicker.

Other than that, it's been ok.  Better on paper than it could have been.

Bell + a maybe good O-lineman + a slot guy is ok.  Still need a #1 WR and one-two more O-linemen.

Mosley is a transformative player on defense.  He has intangibles out the ying yang.  So I like that signing.  We have to make sure we get rid of deadbeats like Lee and Skrine.  Skrine has been accomplished.  I just wish Leonard was a nasty player, because then we would have at least on on each level of the defense.  I think a good OL can be gotten round three.  We must focus there though. No BPA.

40 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Mosley is a transformative player on defense.  He has intangibles out the ying yang.

OK, then I will look forward to seeing a transformed Jets Defense led my Mosely.

40 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I think a good OL can be gotten round three.  We must focus there though. No BPA.

To be fair, great O-linemen can be found anywhere in the draft if you're A lucky and B. good at evaluation.

Doesn't mean our GM will find one, his drafting outside the "obvious pick first rounders" warrants well-earned scepticism.

Long as get the two things I see as our team's biggest and most glaring needs today, fine.  I'll be pleased.

I think "very happy" is strong, IMHO Mac has done the minimum needed to keep fans interested with a Competitive team - any less and there would banners flying...

Bell was a perfect fit, almost everyone called this matchup, Mac took a long time to close that deal - credit to Bell and Thanks again to CuMar

CJ Mosley is great player but Mac had to pay big $$ for the MLB after spending a recent first rounder on the position - record contract probably pushed Barr out, maybe a blessing long term but LB unit is better on paper with CJ + Barr  

Crowder is a nice add, and right place and time for Osemele trade, it was also good to bring back a few of the Jets own FA's but agree with WarFish that more help is needed at WR and OL.  The Team is also missing proven pass rusher and CB2 (that's 4 starters still needed and it has been very quiet) - Hope for a trade down and good draft, since a SB run in 2020 really needs a solid 2019 season to build upon

John Dorsey is executive of the year and it's not close

OL needs to be rebuilt completely. LT (next year) C (asap), RG (next year), maybe even RT tackle this year depending on how Shell rehabs.

Corners with Trumaine taking us for a ride, are big needs that need upgrading.

We need a big play WR if Robbie doesn’t become that in Gase’s offense. This is his prove it year to be a true #1.

Edge obviously still a need, but that can be addressed in this draft. A real shame what Barr did, and I can’t fault Mac for someone being gutless.

But overall, I do like the types of players Mac is getting. I do like our offensive weapons, we just need a little more to become explosive.

The rebuild that began immediately following the 2016 season is not ahead of schedule. If it were even meeting schedule this team would have won more than 4 games last season. Despite a nice fa haul and a spike of talent, this roster is still virtually depleted. The Jets are not even a fringe playoff team.

14 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

There is no rebuild without a franchise QB. It began last year. What happened prior was holding a team together with paperclips.

Wait, what?  Petty, Hack, Fitz, McCown.  Acting like they weren’t attempting to address the position until Darnold is a total fallacy and not an excuse.  How much better would the situation be if Mac was actually building a roster from the day he got here in preparation for a franchise QB?

Donald and Gurley might have been holding it together for Goff, but how much better is Goff for having them?

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We have the QB I am convinced of that so it could be.  Unfortunately we also have perhaps the worst drafting gm with no real plan so that is an issue.

To be a good team long term the franchise qb has to be good, the coaching has to be decent and you need at least adequate drafting.

At the rate Mac is adding pieces Darnold will be 35 before he assembles a roster.

Agreed. This rebuild can't be ahead of schedule when you're changing coaches and everyone follows the same unwritten rules of conduct. It was so obvious when Bowles got hired.....

At first EVERYONE was a big fan of his amazing resume and defensive genius/acumen. Maybe it's a poor trait to possess, but I started seeing cracks in Bowles operation from day one. HC not answering to the GM. GM not getting the opportunity to hire his own HC. So he takes no ownership or personal responsibility for what comes of it. He's also got a built in excuse when things go bad. Bowles hiring KC Rogers as DC. Hiring/firing other coaches more often than he changed his underwear. Coaching NOT TO LOSE pretty much from day one, no halftime adjustments, etc. and so on, so forth.

My point is, too many are unwilling to pull the plus when they see things going bad. Bowles and Mac should've been fired after 2016.

Successful franchises building toward something great do not draft as poorly as the Jets do. Successful franchises building toward something great see problems with their coaching and quickly nip it in the bud.

The Jets don't do any of those things.

15 hours ago, Nixhead said:

This is actually year 3 of the rebuild. First there was the dump everyone year and we win 5 games and everyone thinks Bowles is a good coach for getting us the 5 wins. Then last season was figuring out what we have in Darnold. Its now year 3 and its time for a playoff run right now! Mac still have a lot of work to do - mainly on the O line imo. If he can put together 2 more decent starters we will make that playoff run. Get to work Mac!

It's more fun to ask which rebuild. 1-5, whatever makes you chuckle.  

You could also go the it's year 5 of the rebuild, kind of funny too.

None of it has to be factual

15 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Mac and his apologists excuses were Todd Bowles was the reason for the heavy hand Of D. We shall see if we draft offensive more in first few rounds for first time in a decade

I love this because it speaks to the dysfunction of the organization.  

Let's say the Jets have a bad year and Mac is fired.  Then we have to bring in a new GM who will be required to keep this coaching staff - which means your pool of GM will shrink and each will be pointing fingers at the other for eery mishap.  

Much like our pool of HC's shrunk when we forced a DC on him.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Wait, what?  Petty, Hack, Fitz, McCown.  Acting like they weren’t attempting to address the position until Darnold is a total fallacy and not an excuse.  How much better would the situation be if Mac was actually building a roster from the day he got here in preparation for a franchise QB?

Donald and Gurley might have been holding it together for Goff, but how much better is Goff for having them?

I'm not defending Mac. We might have been in a rebuild a year earlier if he hadn't passed on Mahomes and hadn't drafted the dreadful Hack. Petty was never seen as a franchise QB ad you know it. He was at best going to be Kellen Clemens... but wasn't. The other veteran journeymen were placeholders to keep the team competitive amidst the chaos. None of them were ever seen as franchise QB's either. You know that too. If you're asking when we should have been in rebuild, vs. where we are today, I'd say Mac failed. He may recover now that Darnold is in the fold, but that doesn't excuse the many blunders that preceded that very fortunate pick.

Mac is the architect of the plan that got us our QB. He gets 10 get out of jail free cards and a reset for any past mistakes. There can be no plan without this piece and we now have one. And Bell is the perfect player for him. Who cares if Mac got lucky. What do you call it when your effing QB is a 6th round pick?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Seems so obvious, yet so many fail to comprehend this.

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I love this because it speaks to the dysfunction of the organization.  

Let's say the Jets have a bad year and Mac is fired.  Then we have to bring in a new GM who will be required to keep this coaching staff - which means your pool of GM will shrink and each will be pointing fingers at the other for eery mishap.  

Much like our pool of HC's shrunk when we forced a DC on him.

Hes not getting fired.  

If the team shows improvement and the CS proves it deserves to stay they all stay.

If the team flounders and the staff does lead to improvement they all go as one.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

OK, then I will look forward to seeing a transformed Jets Defense led my Mosely.

To be fair, great O-linemen can be found anywhere in the draft if you're A lucky and B. good at evaluation.

Doesn't mean our GM will find one, his drafting outside the "obvious pick first rounders" warrants well-earned scepticism.

Long as get the two things I see as our team's biggest and most glaring needs today, fine.  I'll be pleased.

Macc's drafting worries me, too.  If it has been all Macc on the drafting.  I still cannot believe he wanted Lee at that pick.  My belief is that Bowles had the upper hand in the relationship pretty much from Day One.  Just a suspicion.  That is why Bowles was the only one fired.  Just a feeling on my part.  It cannot be proven.  Unless Macc has a killer draft this time around

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

If we draft a top edge rusher I think our D will be good.  mobley is an All Pro type player.  I think he has a little more cache that Jamal at this point.  But having an All Star at every level of the D should enhance their performance considerably.

Rebuild #3?  #1?  #9?  Who cares what it's called!  We are where we are.  We stunk last year and I'm happy Bowles is gone and Gase is here.  Mac has addressed several of the key weaknesses; KO, Bell, CJ, Crowder.  Given the amount of cap space and draft picks we now have how many more holes can plausibly be filled?  Pass Rusher for sure.  Hopefully a CB.  I don't think we're going to bring in an impact WR this year.  

I think the plan is to draft Q at #3 and sign a guy like Shane Ray at OLB.  Q and Leo, CJ and Williamson, and Adams and Maye make the middle of that defense pretty damn strong.  More dawgs for sure.

Rounds 3 and 4 will likely focus on OL, WR and CB.  I think it's wishful thinking to think that any of these picks will have a meaningful impact on this team this year but it's clear at least two of them need to be starters in 2020.

The real question is how many wins are needed this year to feel we are on track.  6?  8?  10?  (10 ain't happening).

17 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

IF Gase and Williams can match wits with the best of the best. The best teams have great talent but even more they have the best coaching.

2 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

The real question is how many wins are needed this year to feel we are on track.  6?  8?  10?  (10 ain't happening).

my vote would be 8 minimum, have to get back to .500 or better to make a realistic shot at a SB run in 2020 - another losing season could put several things into question including Sam as the franchise

2 hours ago, JiF said:

No one expected any of those guys to be the long term answer and if anyone did they were nuts. Fitz looked like he might be finally starting to "get it" but he will always be an impossible player to figure out smart guy who seems to be going great then he just goes totally wheels off ...hard to figure him out.  Hack was a half assed attempt at possibly hoping Penn State was such a mess it affected him negatively since he had the Physical attributes and measurables to have at least a shot at being the guy. He was not, but it was an attempt a gamble and it failed.

The first 2 years Macc was here he was obviously told to try and win NOW due to all the older players he signed and we still had some players in place  it was obvious he sat down with the owner and came to the conclusion we might have one more shot. I watched the Cowboys do this in the mid to late  90's and it was the same ordeal the glory days were over.

In year one he brought in players that made a big Impact at getting us to 10-6 Marshall had a huge year and Fitz Blindsided just about everyone . In year 2 he added some more guys to fill some glaring holes and the entire thing blew up, coach, locker room, and all.

At that time it was obvious we needed to blow the entire thing up.... only mistake was not dumping Bowles (JMO) once a coach loses a locker room whether its his fault or not it becomes a cancer that's hard to fix. At this stage Macc started working the cap to get us in a favorable position this year and last year he drafted our franchise QB with a good trade to number 3 I think without Bowels having a huge say in Personnel decisions we will see a different outcome in this years draft and if we do we can revisit the Macc scenario. He must have a better draft then he has in the past there's no doubt about that.

His work thus far in FA has been fantastic and there is still money we can use when cap casualties become available not to mention we will get a very good player with pick number 3 in the draft or hopefully trade out of the pick  and get more picks to continue to build on. I also think Macc needs to take a good hard look at his scouting dept they are after all who you rely on the most as a GM . Macc has made some nice additions on the Pro level his drafts once again need to Improve in a big way but drafts are always a crap shoot. You always see GM's have great years then you see them just sh*t the bed IMO Macc is due and that would be great after this years FA success.

26 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

my vote would be 8 minimum, have to get back to .500 or better to make a realistic shot at a SB run in 2020 - another losing season could put several things into question including Sam as the franchise

Exactly. Any thought that 6-7 wins is a successful season ended with Darnold's rookie season last year.

He now has an offensive minded HC, and weapons around him in Bell, Anderson, Crowder, Herndon and Enunwa. Its his second season now. He has to make the same move forward that QBs like Wentz, Goff and others back to Peyton did if he wants to be perceived like them.

You just paid Mosely nearly QB money for a defense loaded with former #1 picks that is coached by a "defensive mastermind."

Its time to stop accepting failure and demand more then mediocrity here. A few more tweaks in FA, a good draft are not a lot to ask for. The FO has to do its job through the draft, then the CS and players have to do theirs. Enough with the "6 wins is progress BS."

Archived