Jets newfound identity

HawkeyeJet

No, this is not another uniform thread.

For the longest time, the Jets as an organization and a team on the field have had no tangible identity to me.   

I have noticed something after reading some articles and interviews about our new players. The Jets have a clear identity throughout the roster and organization.  The Jets want high character and hard nosed football players.  They embrace some swagger, but want high character, high IQ guys who have a bit of a nasty streak.

Msybe it will be a recipe for success, maybe I won't.  This is the firs time in a long time I can clearly tell the direction they are trying to go, which can't hurt.

21 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I wouldn't call Bell high character. His IQ also appears to be lower than his jersey number. 

I meant football IQ.  

Just curious what makes you think he has a questionable character?  The weed stuff?  If so fair enough.  I don't neccessarily agree it makes him a character issue.  

Glad you explained your insult. I find Bell to have a very high football IQ. This guy sees the field better than any RB in the league. Sees plays and blocks develop before they happen. Sets up moves and would be tacklers. Doesn’t ever take a hard hit but slips and slides to avoid contact 

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Glad you explained your insult. I find Bell to have a very high football IQ. This guy sees the field better than any RB in the league. Sees plays and blocks develop before they happen. Sets up moves and would be tacklers. Doesn’t ever take a hard hit but slips and slides to avoid

No question about his talent. My issue with him is his motivation and want to be here.  Despite kinda screwing himself by sitting out last year he seems happy to be here. Curtis Martin was a idol of his which is good. Hopefully he stays on the straight and narrow

28 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No, this is not another uniform thread.

For the longest time, the Jets as an organization and a team on the field have had no tangible identity to me.   

I have noticed something after reading some articles and interviews about our new players. The Jets have a clear identity throughout the roster and organization.  The Jets want high character and hard nosed football players.  They embrace some swagger, but want high character, high IQ guys who have a bit of a nasty streak.

Msybe it will be a recipe for success, maybe I won't.  This is the firs time in a long time I can clearly tell the direction they are trying to go, which can't hurt.

I agree. This is what I always thought Mangini was trying to build before Woody forced Bret Favre on him. 

I still don't understand why it's so hard for people to grasp this.

Bell took a loss, to secure a gain.

Yes, he lost out on $14 million from the Steelers....but, what if had signed that tender and blew out his knee in week 16....would he have gotten $25 million guaranteed from the Jets?  Let me answer that question for it.....it would have been a hard NO.

He sacrificed an immediate gain for a guaranteed larger, long term gain.

Sure, he might have gotten through the season without injury and maybe the Steelers wouldn't have made him touch the ball 300 times, but, no one can say for certain.

3 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Yes, he lost out on $14 million from the Steelers....but, what if had signed that tender and blew out his knee in week 16....would he have gotten $25 million guaranteed from the Jets?  Let me answer that question for it.....it would have been a hard NO.

Sure, he might have gotten through the season without injury and maybe the Steelers wouldn't have made him touch the ball 300 times, but, no one can say for certain.

Absolutely Correct. He caught crap from his OL and others but he played the long game. Steeler’s we’re running him into the ground 

300/400 touches a year for the past 3 years..... RB shelf life is 5 yr avg. I don’t begrudge him at all.

This is Macc we're talking about here. I'll wait until the season starts and folks are actually playing games and winning before I talk about a new identity. It's easy to read offseason articles come away with things going in the right direction. Folks have that feeling every year only to be disappointed before Halloween. 

Win in the regular season is what I ultimately care about. 

I'll tells ya what our team identity is. Consider this, we have:

- The Highest Paid ILB in the league in CJ Mosely.

- The Second Highest Paid CB in Trumaine Johnson.

- The Second Highest Paid Guard in Kelechi Osemele.

- The Second Highest Paid Running Back in Le'Veon Bell.

and lord knows they'll probably make Leo the second or third highest paid D-lineman in the game one day for the hell of it.

What does this say? It says the Jets are trying their damnedest to get as much high cost talent as they can while Sam Darnold is under his rookie contract.

Our identity is "Win while Sam is cheap." Go ahead and splurge in free agency, we've got the room by design from the past two years and now they've got the chance to capitalize off of it off of the back of a promising young QB. Our window for properly executing this team building philosophy is effectively three years, three years to make a deep playoff/championship run with a franchise QB that's paid nothing like a FQB should be.

The fact that we've got tone setters like the President and CJ is all part of this to me, build momentum with that culture and create something special. It'll be really disappointing if they cant get at least a playoff win out of this era let alone a title.

28 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I agree. This is what I always thought Mangini was trying to build before Woody forced Bret Favre on him. 

I agree with this.  Gase and Mancini are scary similar.  Gase will do better here until the players revolt.  

I'd agree - I think that style of team builds from the trenches out but Macc's aversion to prioritizing his oline will endanger the approach until he does something about it. 

This is one area where the Mangini era was strong - solid line in the league - lunch pail style. 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Jets want high character and hard nosed football players.  They embrace some swagger, but want high character, high IQ guys who have a bit of a nasty streak.

Isn’t this the kind of guy Maccagnan has been bringing in since he got here?

The signal has been sent.  The Country Club is closed.  Losing is not OK anymore.  Far too many times  in the last few years, you'd watch guys come off the field at the end of lost games, and they seemed just too complacent, reflective of the play on the field. Losing didn't make them sick. It should have.

A football team takes on the personality of the Coaching Staff and vice versa. This is an intense, edgy coaching staff.  They are obviously building a team with that kind of mentality.  It is more than just a few quips in an interview.  Watch the tape. These are the type of players they are signing, and the kind of players they will draft. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

2 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

and lord knows they'll probably make Leo the second or third highest paid D-lineman in the game one day for the hell of it.

What does this say? It says the Jets are trying their damnedest to get as much high cost talent as they can while Sam Darnold is under his rookie contract.

Our identity is "Win while Sam is cheap." Go ahead and splurge in free agency, we've got the room by design from the past two years and now they've got the chance to capitalize off of it off of the back of a promising young QB. Our window for properly executing this team building philosophy is effectively three years, three years to make a deep playoff/championship run with a franchise QB that's paid nothing like a FQB should be.

The fact that we've got tone setters like the President and CJ is all part of this to me, build momentum with that culture and create something special. It'll be really disappointing if they cant get at least a playoff win out of this era let alone a title.

What that really says me is our gm is a Very Poor Evaluator of talent & drafts players who do not perform well enough on their rookie contracts that he is forced to make up for that by signing players in free agency with big contracts. 

10 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

There is alot of "what if" here.

He lost 14 million by sitting out, that's a fact.  He'll never, ever, earn that 14 million back going forward, also a fact.

He did not get the value he thought he'd get from us, that's a fact.

And he put himself ahead of his team and teammates, just like Revis, that's a fact Jet fans are choosing to overlook.  

He's an exceptional talent to-date, and he should be a massive improvement to the RB position and the offense.  I didn't want him per se, but I'm happy enough we now have him.

But we shouldn't try and re-write history or avoid the uncomfortable parts of who Bell is.  

11 hours ago, Jets723 said:

No question about his talent. My issue with him is his motivation and want to be here.  Despite kinda screwing himself by sitting out last year he seems happy to be here. Curtis Martin was a idol of his which is good. Hopefully he stays on the straight and narrow

i don't know if he screwed himself at all. 14 million with no guarantee for anything more if you get injured. now it's 35 million guaranteed and he got to reat his body instead of taking the 400 touches pittsburgh was going to feed him. sure he could have made the 14 million and not get injured, but it only takes one unlucky play to end a season and screw him up. 

Why Jets' trade for Kelechi Osemele could be their most impactful offseason move

The two-time Pro Bowl guard could have ripple effect on offense

By Bent | Mar 16 | 11:04AM

With the recent flurry of big-name signings, the first major move of the offseason is perhaps being overlooked.  

The Jets acquired two-time Pro Bowl guard Kelechi Osemele from the Raiders in exchange for a day three pick swap. Here's why that move could end up being the most important one the Jets have made this offseason. 

A change in attitude

It's immediately apparent from Osemele's film that he brings a nastiness to the position, without being undisciplined. Osemele's physical style sees him regularly taking his man to the ground, staying on his man through the whistle and punishing edge rushers when he provides help to his left tackle.

This style of play could bring a new attitude and identity to the Jets' offense, giving them the opportunity to impose their will on the defense in the trenches. These also represent good habits, which hopefully some of his linemates will adopt.

Osemele should produce an upgrade at left guard, but his mentoring could affect the unit as a whole, while also contributing to improvements in situations such as short yardage and the screen game.

A perfect fit for Gase

Head coach Adam Gase butted heads with media in Miami over the fact that he didn't feel it necessary to invest large amounts of money or high picks in the guard positions. However, that was on a team with limited cap resources.

As for what he does covet from his guards, Gase is said to want to run a system whereby the quarterback gets the ball out quickly, so the most important thing is to hold up at the point of attack, prevent immediate interior pressure and give the quarterback a clean pocket to step into. Osemele is ideally equipped to handle such a role.

In addition, Osemele should be more comfortable in the Jets' run-blocking schemes than he was last year. Osemele has played his best football on teams that have primarily used zone blocking in the running game, so Jon Gruden introducing a power-based system wasn't optimal for him. If new offensive line coach Frank Pollack runs the same system he did in Dallas, it should set Osemele up for a resurgence.

The possibilities for the newly-signed Le'Veon Bell are tantalizing in Gase's offense. However, if the run blocking from the offensive line is as poor as it was down the stretch in 2018, this will limit his potential. Bell's patient running style often sees him wait for a lane to develop with advanced analytics suggesting he takes more time on average to cross the line of scrimmage than any other back in the league.

That's where Osemele could complement Bell perfectly. It won't be an adjustment for him to stay on his blocks longer, because he already battles to keep control of his man from snap to whistle and sometimes beyond. In fact, he often overwhelms his man and then seeks out someone else to block as the play is extended. Bell is the running back most equipped to reap the rewards from this effort.

Plenty left in the tank

There's some concern that maybe Osemele, who will be 30 by the start of the season, is past his best.  

Following consecutive Pro Bowl appearances in 2016 and 2017, Osemele suffered through an injury-plagued 2018 season. He missed five starts and graded out poorly as the Raiders had one of the league's worst offensive lines.

In order to elevate the Jets' offensive line out of the basement, Osemele will need to be more consistent in 2019, so it's important he remains healthy. The good news on that front is that none of his injuries last year were serious and a recent social media post suggested he has cut a significant amount of weight in order with that in mind.

The other good news is that a review of Osemele's film from 2018 shows that he's still just as capable of being a dominant blocker in the running game and a reliable pass protector. The Jets will hope that he'll benefit from being a better fit for their system and it will also help to have an experience Kelvin Beachum at left tackle, rather than an overmatched rookie who requires "babysitting".

Low-risk move

If the Osemele move doesn't work out, the Jets didn't give up much in the way of draft capital and his contract contains no guarantees, so they'll be able to move on from him after the season.

However, if he remains healthy, there's reason to believe that this could have a significant positive impact on the Jets' future. If Osemele returns to his Pro Bowl form, that could elevate the line from one of the league's worst, to among the best.

Hewitt Gets Second Shot in New York

Dylan Tereman March 16, 2019

As was reported the other day, the New York Jets have decided to retain backup inside linebacker Neville Hewitt for at least one more season. When Darron Lee was suspended for the final four games of the 2018 campaign for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, Hewitt filled in admirably, finishing the season with 39 total tackles and 1.5 sacks. The one-year deal is for $2 million.

Gang Green has been rumored to be seeking a trade partner for Lee at this point. With the signing of Hewitt, as well as former Ravens standout CJ Mosley coming on board, trading Lee may be the best case scenario.

While improving, Lee has been inconsistent in coverage and still isn’t strong enough against the run. Insert Hewitt, who played well down the stretch, particularly against the run, and you have a strong backup linebacker. The converted college safety should provide quality depth in Gregg Williams’ new system, especially at a position that may look entirely different than it did just one year prior. Hewitt started his career in Miami, so he has some level of familiarity with head coach Adam Gase.

The Jets should not be done spending money on either side of the ball in free agency, but retaining players in the National Football League is the best way to establish continuity. Along with Hewitt, the Jets have also re-signed DT Steve McLendon, CB Darryl Roberts and OL Jonotthan Harrison.

7 hours ago, jetsons said:

What that really says me is our gm is a Very Poor Evaluator of talent & drafts players who do not perform well enough on their rookie contracts that he is forced to make up for that by signing players in free agency with big contracts. 

This is true based on activity prior to 2019.  

But with the new coaches and perhaps different GM approach/capacity, maybe things get better? The new players are all hard nosed intense players that Mangini would have liked. 

We will know more after the draft where their heads are screwed on. 

My guess is that Chris went through every player move Mac has made and assessed whether, at the time the move made sense or was boneheaded.   Many moves were dumb at the time. Mac needs to learn from his mistakes.  We shall see if he has. 

7 hours ago, varjet said:

This is true based on activity prior to 2019.  

But with the new coaches and perhaps different GM approach/capacity, maybe things get better? The new players are all hard nosed intense players that Mangini would have liked. 

We will know more after the draft where their heads are screwed on. 

My guess is that Chris went through every player move Mac has made and assessed whether, at the time the move made sense or was boneheaded.   Many moves were dumb at the time. Mac needs to learn from his mistakes.  We shall see if he has. 

I hope you're right... as you said... we shall see. ?

18 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Agreed, you just have to look at the average # of years in all the free agent contracts Mac has been dishing out and you’ll conclude that he’s budgeting/ preparing to pay Sam, Jamal, maybe Leo? down the road.

2019 should be fun because they should be a whole lot more competitive unless dare I say, Sam has the sophomore jinx..

Archived