Donald Penn Released

KRL

10 minutes ago, KRL said:

The #Raiders and LT Donald Penn have agreed to part ways. Penn sent this message, and isn’t ready to retire. He plans to play left tackle in 2019

He was a very good LT - Pro Bowler in 2016 and 2017.  Last year the Raiders moved him to RT to make room for Kolton Miller.  Penn was not nearly as successful on the right side, but it's intriguing to wonder how he would respond to moving back to LT.  Color me curious. He could have 2-3 good years left in the tank which would buy us time to acquire and develop a younger player.

@Raideraholic will share his thoughts soon.

It wouldn't make sense for the Jets to bring him.  We have Beachum who is serviceable, and this guy is 36 years old.  What would be the purpose of bringing him here?  What, for 1 year, and what should we do with Beachum, make him the backup?  How much are we going to pay him to make Beachum the backup?

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

It wouldn't make sense for the Jets to bring him.  We have Beachum who is serviceable, and this guy is 36 years old.  What would be the purpose of bringing him here?  What, for 1 year, and what should we do with Beachum, make him the backup?  How much are we going to pay him to make Beachum the backup?

If he comes in at the league min or close to we could potentially save and upgrade? 

Or simply have some depth and vet leadership.

I'd def sure up at C first. But then why not, we have money and this is a key area of need - doesn't hurt to have folks in who have pro bowl experience.

If he comes in at the league min or close to we could potentially save and upgrade? 
Or simply have some depth and vet leadership.
I'd def sure up at C first. But then why not, we have money and this is a key area of need - doesn't hurt to have folks in who have pro bowl experience.

Any chance he would agree to be depth at this stage of his career?
He can play both table positions in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Only reason I could see to sign him is if they are concerned about Shell's ability to return from injury.  If you can sign him to low $$ deal as insurance for Shell, it might make sense.  This assumes he can be serviceable RT.

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

This a guy you add to do for the younger guys what they brought in McCown to do.Just don't give him 10mil like McCown.

Yup, exactly. Esp as it seems he is pissed and wants to prove something.

Only if he can play center! Kidding, kind of. If he wants to take a backups contract that's cool, but he sounds like he's looking for a starting gig.

I've been pushing for RT/LT guys for the last 2 years... But in the last few weeks Center has started to show itself as a much bigger hole on this team...

54 minutes ago, nycdan said:

He was a very good LT - Pro Bowler in 2016 and 2017.  Last year the Raiders moved him to RT to make room for Kolton Miller.  Penn was not nearly as successful on the right side, but it's intriguing to wonder how he would respond to moving back to LT.  Color me curious. He could have 2-3 good years left in the tank which would buy us time to acquire and develop a younger player.

I like the idea of getting good experienced bridge players until longer solutions can be found.  Especially for the OL.  Jets need to protect Darnold so he can  execute the offense and utilize his weapons. 

He's been a very reliable starter.  In the 11 years prior to 2018 season, Penn missed only two games. Last year he only played 4 games.  At the least...Penn's a good experienced depth piece at two OL positions.  

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Have you looked at our OT's on the roster?  WTF if Beachum got injured?  It ain't like Beachum hasn't been on the DL before...and Shell is coming back off of injury.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Only reason I could see to sign him is if they are concerned about Shell's ability to return from injury.  If you can sign him to low $$ deal as insurance for Shell, it might make sense.  This assumes he can be serviceable RT.

He's awful at RT

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Beachum isn't the problem 

When you get cut because you aren't ready to retire you let someone else sign the guy 

Becahum next to Osemele will be much better this year.  He had great success with Bell in Pittsburgh.

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Isn't he better than some of our starter s?

Well yes. I'm talking about the guys they draft. Oh wait a minute our GM doesn't draft OL or even offer them contracts. He thinks you can get them out of thin air by the way he addresses the position. "Hey let's trade up for our franchise QB and then NOT surround him with talent to protect him". Macc's reasoning. I can't wait until this draft happens and Macc ignores the OL AGAIN in the early rounds and the guys who support him finally realize it wasn't just Bowles that was the problem.

12 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

That or signing Penn simply would give us depth.  If beachum gets injured our upcoming season goes into the toilet

Beechum is in the last year of his deal.

Winters is too.

Sign Penn for a year.

Sign a vet C for a year.

Draft their replacements and sign their replacements in next free agency.

But I like the vet idea for this year with rookies learning and as depth. We need experience there.

56 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You guy said keep b-tching about the OL a good OL player becomes available “oh he’s too old”

They have to be 25-26, always healthy, scheme versatile, from an explosive offense, handsome and a size 13 shoe at least or gtfo.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Played 4 games.  Season ended due to groin injury.

Yeah pass lol

Jets only have 2 players over 30 on the roster he doesn't really fit the mold of what they are doing 

I think the league will decide for him that it's time to go 

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

Did he play last year? 

PFF gave him a 47 and an "u/r" grade whatever that means but it's not good lol

He was a Pro Bowl LT the prior two years.  Last year, the Raiders drafted Kolton Miller, put him at LT and moved Penn to RT where he was not proficient, then got injured.  The question is, could he go back to near-Pro Bowl levels at LT again.  At age 36.  It's a puzzle wrapped in a mystery.

11 hours ago, nycdan said:

Donald Penn had a lisfranc injury at the end of 2017 season , never looked healthy in 2018. ( wasn't moving that well last year  - looked in terrible shape , and it didn't have anything to do with playing Rt.

I remember in 2016 Raiders had a rash of injuries at Rt .    The Raiders were forced to finish the game with K Osemele at LT, and D Penn at Rt.    That might have been the best tackle play Raiders had in sometime.

Bring him in for a workout - you will know if he's moving right , or not.    Just a backup at this point, as one of the most durable LT there was, can't stay healthy anymore.( age will do that).

Archived