Donald Penn Released

KRL

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

He was a Pro Bowl LT the prior two years.  Last year, the Raiders drafted Kolton Miller, put him at LT and moved Penn to RT where he was not proficient, then got injured.  The question is, could he go back to near-Pro Bowl levels at LT again.  At age 36.  It's a puzzle wrapped in a mystery.

His own team pushed him out 

Not much of a mystery 

I understand the obsession around here with oline, but not LT this year. They need someone to push Shell or just replace him and I hope they aren't actually happy with Harrison at center. 

3 hours ago, Larz said:

His own team pushed him out 

Not much of a mystery 

I understand the obsession around here with oline, but not LT this year. They need someone to push Shell or just replace him and I hope they aren't actually happy with Harrison at center. 

They moved him out because they brought in Trent Brown and have Kolton Miller on the other side along with fellow 2nd-year player Brandon Parker who played last year when Penn got injured (I think I have that right).   There was no room on the roster for Penn this year.  Maybe he's done.  But even if he is still able to play, the Raiders didn't have the cap room to keep him as a backup who would only play if their big FA acquisition got hurt.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Beechum is in the last year of his deal.

Winters is too.

Sign Penn for a year.

Sign a vet C for a year.

Draft their replacements and sign their replacements in next free agency.

But I like the vet idea for this year with rookies learning and as depth. We need experience there.

This.  All of this.

12 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Have you looked at our OT's on the roster?  WTF if Beachum got injured?  It ain't like Beachum hasn't been on the DL before...and Shell is coming back off of injury.

Before you start signing backups who are 36 years old, how about signing a starting Center which we need desperately?  We also need a starting corner if you forgot.  We certainly could use a #1 wide receiver as well and a edge pass rusher.

This guy is not even on the radar at this point.  The Jets would be stupid to sign him before meeting some of our other "starting" needs.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

They moved him out because they brought in Trey Brown and have Kolton Miller on the other side along with fellow 2nd-year player Brandon Parker who played last year when Penn got injured (I think I have that right).   There was no room on the roster for Penn this year.  Maybe he's done.  But even if he is still able to play, the Raiders didn't have the cap room to keep him as a backup who would only play if their big FA acquisition got hurt.

Raiders overpaid  Trent  Brown because he gives the Raiders two offensive tackles (Kolton Miller being the other ) that have the  ability to play either Rt , or LT.    Brandon Parker was never suppose to play last year, but injuries forced him to start most of the year at Rt.        He  needs a lot of work before he ready to assume a starting role on the offense line. ( Raiders are in trouble if he has to play any meaniful minutes at tackle  this year).1

Raiders will be drafting for a starting guard who can back up center.

4 hours ago, Alka said:

Before you start signing backups who are 36 years old, how about signing a starting Center which we need desperately?  We also need a starting corner if you forgot.  We certainly could use a #1 wide receiver as well and a edge pass rusher.

This guy is not even on the radar at this point.  The Jets would be stupid to sign him before meeting some of our other "starting" needs.

Two years ago everyone here said Whitworth is too old the guy is now an all-pro who started in the super bowl

Archived