Free Agent Centers

Lith

Forgive me for starting another thread about Centers, but have not seen one with list of all the options still available.

From Spotrac.  List of available FA centers.

PLAYER POS AGE 18 TEAM 19 TEAM YRS TOTAL AVG PER YR GUARANTEE
Mitch Morse C 27 KC BUF 4 $44,500,000 $11,125,000 $26,175,000
Matt Paradis C 29 DEN CAR 3 $29,030,000 $9,676,667 $12,000,000
Spencer Long C 28 NYJ BUF 3 $12,600,000 $4,200,000 $1,200,000
Ryan Kalil C 34 CAR RETIRED -      
Max Unger C 33 NO RETIRED -      
John Sullivan C 34 LAR TBD -      
Brett Jones C 28 MIN TBD -      
Nick Easton C 27 MIN TBD -      
Stefen Wisniewski C 30 PHI TBD -      
Tony Bergstrom C 33 WAS TBD -      
Travis Swanson C 28 MIA TBD -      
Josh LeRibeus C 30 NO TBD -      
Wesley Johnson C 28 MIA TBD -      
Luke Bowanko C 28 WAS TBD -      
Gino Gradkowski C 30 DEN TBD -      
Zac Kerin C 28 WAS TBD -      
Jake Brendel C 26 MIA TBD -      
Daniel Munyer C 27 ARI TBD -      
J.J. Dielman C 25 LAR TBD -      

Not many guys lelft on the list that you can count on to start.  Sullivan and Wisniewski are most experienced guys, but still some other guys with more experience than Harrison that can at least be brought in for competition.  Travis Swanson was in camp last year.  Over 50 starts in his career inclulding 12 playing for Gase with the Phins last year.  NIck Easton started 12 games for Vikes in 2017 before missing 2018 due to injury.  Brett Jones filles in pretty well for an injured Weston Richburg wth the Giants in 2017.

No surefire starters, but a few options that could at least add an experienced guy to the mix in camp. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brett Jones 53, u/r, must have been injured 

Nick Easton... No grade at all? 

Ok what about Wesley Johnson? ??.... 44.9 holy Moses 

I hate to say it but Harrison might be the guy unless they draft a guy obv 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Brett Jones 53, u/r, must have been injured 

Nick Easton... No grade at all? 

Ok what about Wesley Johnson? ??

Easton did not play last year due to injury.  Jones only started 2 or 3 games with Minnesota -- he backed up Pat Elfllein.  Not going to find much PFF data on these guys who did not play much last year.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Easton did not play last year due to injury.  Jones only started 2 or 3 games with Minnesota -- he backed up Pat Elfllein.  Not going to find much PFF data on these guys who did not play much last year.

Ok

Sullivan is 34, so he's low on my list 

Pretty much Wisniewski or draft pick for me 

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Ok

Sullivan is 34, so he's low on my list 

Pretty much Wisniewski or draft pick for me 

PFT had an article on Wisniewski where it said he should "never be a starting C again "  For what it's worth.

We need to stop with the revolving door at center.  We were lucky enough for 20 years to go from Kevin Mawae to Mangold.  We could have drafted Elfein when he was on the board.  This year is strong center group and I believe we need to add one in the draft.  Harrison did a solid job taking the reigns for the last few games of the season and I would feel comfortable with him.  

I'm thinking top centers:  Garrett Bradbury, Dalton Risner, Elton Jenkins will be off the board by the 2nd round where we don't have a second round pick.

Erik McCoy Texas A & M and Ross Piersbchbacher Alabama or Michael Jordan Ohio State would be great additions to our O-Line and the way to go over free agency now that Paradis is gone.

6 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

We need to stop with the revolving door at center.  We were lucky enough for 20 years to go from Kevin Mawae to Mangold.  We could have drafted Elfein when he was on the board.  This year is strong center group and I believe we need to add one in the draft.  Harrison did a solid job taking the reigns for the last few games of the season and I would feel comfortable with him.  

I'm thinking top centers:  Garrett Bradbury, Dalton Risner, Elton Jenkins will be off the board by the 2nd round where we don't have a second round pick.

Erik McCoy Texas A & M and Ross Piersbchbacher Alabama or Michael Jordan Ohio State would be great additions to our O-Line and the way to go over free agency now that Paradis is gone.

IMHO it's a no brainer that we draft a C. I hope (pray) that we can trade down several spots and get some extra draft choices including a 2nd and make it happen.

50 minutes ago, Lith said:

Forgive me for starting another thread about Centers, but have not seen one with list of all the options still available.

From Spotrac.  List of available FA centers.

PLAYER POS AGE 18 TEAM 19 TEAM YRS TOTAL AVG PER YR GUARANTEE
Mitch Morse C 27 KC BUF 4 $44,500,000 $11,125,000 $26,175,000
Matt Paradis C 29 DEN CAR 3 $29,030,000 $9,676,667 $12,000,000
Spencer Long C 28 NYJ BUF 3 $12,600,000 $4,200,000 $1,200,000
Ryan Kalil C 34 CAR RETIRED -      
Max Unger C 33 NO RETIRED -      
John Sullivan C 34 LAR TBD -      
Brett Jones C 28 MIN TBD -      
Nick Easton C 27 MIN TBD -      
Stefen Wisniewski C 30 PHI TBD -      
Tony Bergstrom C 33 WAS TBD -      
Travis Swanson C 28 MIA TBD -      
Josh LeRibeus C 30 NO TBD -      
Wesley Johnson C 28 MIA TBD -      
Luke Bowanko C 28 WAS TBD -      
Gino Gradkowski C 30 DEN TBD -      
Zac Kerin C 28 WAS TBD -      
Jake Brendel C 26 MIA TBD -      
Daniel Munyer C 27 ARI TBD -      
J.J. Dielman C 25 LAR TBD -      

Not many guys lelft on the list that you can count on to start.  Sullivan and Wisniewski are most experienced guys, but still some other guys with more experience than Harrison that can at least be brought in for competition.  Travis Swanson was in camp last year.  Over 50 starts in his career inclulding 12 playing for Gase with the Phins last year.  NIck Easton started 12 games for Vikes in 2017 before missing 2018 due to injury.  Brett Jones filles in pretty well for an injured Weston Richburg wth the Giants in 2017.

No surefire starters, but a few options that could at least add an experienced guy to the mix in camp. 

Most of this lust gets signed after the draft.

47 minutes ago, Lith said:

pff should be taken with a grain of salt anyway

42 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

PFT had an article on Wisniewski where it said he should "never be a starting C again "  For what it's worth.

Oh great lol

So it's a draft pick or Harrison most likely 

45 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Agree 100%.  But that long term answer may not be there by the time we pick in the 3rd.  I absolutely would like to see the Jets draft a starting C this year, but without a 2nd round pick, we would have to get lucky to have a potential starter drop to 3.

Harrison might be a decent C.  He did a fine job down the stretch last year, but he has not done nearly enough to just be given the job without competition.  Patchwork at the position may be our only option for this season.  If there is no clear cut starter heading into camp, and tehre is not likely to be, then I want to see as much competition as possible.  Maybe that means Harrison and Toth, plus one of the FAs listed above, and a R3/R4 draft pick.  Have 4-way competition in camp and let the best man win.

Seems like  Travis Swanson and Brett Jones are the only viable options out there at the moment. Jones was not highly regarded by the Vikings last season, who were reluctant to start him, even when other less than established starters struggled.  The only sustained playing time was for the Giants in 2017, who traded him to the Vikings for a seventh round draft pick.  Not a hot commodity.

Swanson has started 53 games at center over his first five years in the league, including 11 last year with the Dolphins.  At 27 he is still relatively young and experienced.  Whether he is talented may be another story. He was in camp with the Jets last year and was cut.  He was picked up by the Dolphins, and was cut, before being re-signed and playing for them in 2018.  He came to the Jets after being cut by the Lions. Three franchises have had him under their control.  None have seen him as a long term solution.  I don't either.

The Dolphins roster from 2018 had six free agent players that all are listed as centers, including Swanson and Wesley Johnson , another retread who spent time with the Jets.  Adam Gase knows all of them.  He has signed none of them. Stephen Wisnewski has been determined to be past his prime and no longer a viable option at center in this league.  Seems to me that the Jets have made a judgement that Jonotthan Harrison is the best of the available "talent" and are comfortable with him, at least for now.  They will wait for a cap casualty to be released by another team, or will draft a rookie.  That's fine by me.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets should look at trade options. Any teams with more than 1 quality center or an expensive guy they may be looking to unload? Any Osemele situations out there?

Mac will just have to swallow his Pride and finally draft a OL in a top 3 round for first time in his career. He should trade up  into 2nd round for a center. 

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Mac will just have to swallow his Pride and finally draft a OL in a top 3 round for first time in his career. He should trade up  into 2nd round for a center. 

I agree, wouldn’t be surprised if he moves up 20 picks or so if a guy he really covets is there . I’d be happy to see them draft a guy how’d anchor the line for many years to come than signing an over the hill or journey man type because they’re not long term solutions.

24 minutes ago, TheGoose said:

Raiders were supposedly shopping Rodney Hudson due to his salary, cap hit, and his being in the last year of his contract. 

He was PFFs #4 rated Center, and has familiarity playing beside KO. 

I’d be very much in favor of this, but the Raiders ended up freeing cap space in other ways and are in better shape now.  So, I’d be surprised if he’s still available.  Maybe if they draft a Center with one of their early picks, they might be willing to part with him on Draft Day.  

35 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Slow down there dawg. I’d rather trade down and get a second round pick then trading up and losing a draft pick.

23 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Who's the top 2 C's in the draft? Are they projected to go early? Day 2-3? If we trade down, one of them should prob be the target. 

The top 3 centers are Bradbury, McCoy, Jenkins, not necessarily in that order.  Each play the position differently, but all are projected as early starters.  One of them may be there in the early third.

ap_17346459692906.jpg?w=1020

Jets are going to stick it to the Vikings and sign Nick Easton. We are the "mystery" team. He's only 26 and has plenty of upside. Nick went to Harvard, so you know he's smart, and your center needs to be the brains of the offensive line. It's not the first time the Vikings had a center from Harvard. Remember Matt Birk? I say go get Nick Easton, then sign Ryan Fitzpatrick as our backup quarterback. Two guys from Harvard surrounding Sam Darnold. One snapping the ball to him, and the other being his Obi-Wan Kenobi so to speak. Let's go! ?

45 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Yup.  Really beginning to think we may need to trade up in the second, ahead of KC and NO, if we want to get a guy who could be a starting C for us this season or next.  Our two 3s; or the first 3 and a 4 should do it.  Trade back would be awesome, but not counting on it to happen.  I hate giving up draft capital, but it might be necessary this year.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Really beginning to think we may need to trade up in the second, ahead of KC and NO, if we want to get a guy who could be a starting C for us this season or next.  Our two 3s; or the first 3 and a 4 should do it.  Trade back would be awesome, but not counting on it to happen.  I hate giving up draft capital, but it might be necessary this year.

If you could do that for a one 3 and a 4 that would be a great. If you can walk away with a starting pass rusher at 3 and a starting C in the 2nd, that's already a big win. 

But that would have to be to move in the end of round 2. Not sure a team would move out of the 2nd completely for just an extra 3 and 4. 

19 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Jets are going to stick it to the Vikings and sign Nick Easton. We are the "mystery" team. He's only 26 and has plenty of upside. Nick went to Harvard, so you know he's smart, and your center needs to be the brains of the offensive line. It's not the first time the Vikings had a center from Harvard. Remember Matt Birk? I say go get Nick Easton, then sign Ryan Fitzpatrick as our backup quarterback. Two guys from Harvard surrounding Sam Darnold. One snapping the ball to him, and the other being his Obi-Wan Kenobi so to speak. Let's go! ?

We can’t sign Fitz, everywhere he goes the starter gets hurt because he is a jinx. I say we hope the Patriots sign him.

23 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Fitzpatrick as backup QB??  What are you trying to completely curse Darnold?!?

Archived