Bell Reality Check

JetsLife

I don't agree with everything in this article below. But it reminds me of what I replied to a Steelers fan friend who said "enjoy Bell" after we signed him: we'll see which Bell we're getting - the hungry, good teammate Bell or the me-first, distraction Bell? Fortunately it seems when he's healthy and happy with his contract, he does nothing but produce on the field. That should last for this season, and hopefully next. Beyond that who knows.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/1645912/will-bad-boys-get-their-act-together-

Yes, we're only tied to him for 2 years and that's pretty much all we want from him.  He has nice incentives to him succeeded.  It really is a Jet friendly contract.

Assuming the team is winning I think you're going to get a good teammate in the time he's here.

1 minute ago, JetsLife said:

I don't agree with everything in this article below. But it reminds me of what I replied to a Steelers fan friend who said "enjoy Bell" after we signed him: we'll see which Bell we're getting - the hungry, good teammate Bell or the me-first, distraction Bell? Fortunately it seems when he's healthy and happy with his contract, he does nothing but produce on the field. That should last for this season, and hopefully next. Beyond that who knows.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/1645912/will-bad-boys-get-their-act-together-

Bangkok post is where you're getting your sports news? Interesting.

BUT I don't really understand the 'me first, distraction' part. Before last season, was there ever a problem with him?? And when he did hold out last season it seemed more of his teammates not welcoming him back and not supporting what he was doing, taking stuff from his locker...was more of the distraction then Bell actually holding out. Only reason he was, was to make a statement to get paid for how much he was used. He was never the distraction how AB was. 

17 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

why the me first tag all the time ? He didn't hold out, he was not under contract and he was obviously not pleased with his contract offer or situation in Pittsburgh so at what point was he such a distraction and when did he ever cause trouble in the Locker room ? I bet most of the players were rooting for him since the Majority of players hate the franchise tag

He is probably not in football shape after a year away from the game, but as long as he shows up for mini-camp, OTAs, etc he should be ready to go by the time the season rolls around.  I will be concerned about muscle pulls, strains that type of thing early in the offseason which could linger and impact his effectiveness.

But I do not believe the guy ever refused to play or held out while under contract.  He played out his 4-year rookie deal.  A deal he outperformed.  He played one season under the tag, and refused to sign for a second year and sat out.  By choice, he was not under contract, and missed a season.  But I don't think he ever refused to play when he was under contract.  I can respect what he did more than a guy like Revis who was under contract and refused to play.

No way of knowing if he will be the same dynamic playmaker he was in Pitt (sure hope he will be), but if he isn't it is more likely to be either the layoff or the toll taken on his body during his first 5 years in the league than an issue of motivation.  

4 hours ago, JetsLife said:

But it reminds me of what I replied to a Steelers fan friend who said "enjoy Bell"

Steeler fans are devastated over the loss of Bell and Brown don't let them fool you just like all the Giants fans I know defending the OBJ trade. 

This was an article written by a once a month contributor to an internet newspaper.  Impressive.  He's less  prolific than the most casual of posters at JetNation.  This "article" was worthy of an Op-ed  from some backwater newspaper somewhere in West Virginia.  "Bangkok News" is an appropriate landing spot for such trash. 

I am not worried in the least about LeVeon Bell's desire or ability to perform at the high level he achieved before his sabbatical.  In fact, I expect it.

5 hours ago, JetsLife said:

When exactly was Bells performances hurt by his me-first attitude?  Whats his me-first attitude BTW?  That after leading the league in touches and all purpose yardage all those years he wasnt going to go along with a final season in Pitt where it was apparent that he would be run into the ground with no regard towards the next season as they were going to let him walk.  He should have went along with that plan?  

Typical fanspeak.  Love the guy, root for the guy every week, hate him when your team lets him walk.

5 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Lazy article making all sorts of assumptions... 

2 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

The only caveat with Bell is that he may never get out of the backfield. Steelers had a better line and downfield passing threat. Jets have a substandard line and Robby Anderson. So yeah, you got the Porsche, now let's see if yhrres any open road for him. 

Give me a break Powell ran well behind this 'horrible line' before his injury... and they massively upgraded it with KO. 

Unless you are saying bell and Crowell are about equal

18 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Give me a break Powell ran well behind this 'horrible line' before his injury... Give me a break and the massively upgraded it with KO. 

Unless you are saying bell and Crowell are about equal

One nice thing is that bell will be feature back none of this committee crap that bowles wasted every rb we had on. No matter who it was no matter how well they performed he refused to let anyone get in a rythym. Bell will get all the touches thank god

Bell philosophically resented how the Steelers used the franchise tag on him.  That is tough to use on RBs.  The strategy could be draft, franchise 2x, give ball 400+:year and dump. 

He made a deal with the Jets with incentives.  He can retire now if he wants.  I think he behaves. 

I am more concerned about Trumaine 

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Bell philosophically resented how the Steelers used the franchise tag on him.  That is tough to use on RBs.  The strategy could be draft, franchise 2x, give ball 400+:year and dump. 

He made a deal with the Jets with incentives.  He can retire now if he wants.  I think he behaves. 

I am more concerned about Trumaine 

Trumaine had a bad year but I feel like the biggest issue was his injury and never getting into game speed I feel like he was constantly out of position 

Reality check 

Bell just turned 27

he has three full seasons in his 20s

He has 35 million guaranteed- most is the first two years

He has the opportunity to make an additional 30 million with the jets if the decide to keep him past year two

the beauty of this contract is that bell is HIGHLY incentivize to play for one more big paycheck

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Steeler fans are devastated over the loss of Bell and Brown don't let them fool you just like all the Giants fans I know defending the OBJ trade. 

Thank you!!

Bell is a HOF talent, a generational talent and we have never had a player of his caliber on the Jets EVER ....

I mean EVER!

Bell is not Lamont Jordan or even CM. (even Martin has noted this!!)....

If Bell plays up to his abilities we have a player who is averaging more yards from scrimmage per game than any player in NFL History but no we are listening to what amounts the Captain Kangaroo daily to find things wrong with our own players!

Bell wanted a long-term deal with the Steelers, and the Steelers tagged him instead for the second year in a row. So Bell decided to sit out the season. I don't call that being tempermental, I call that a business decision. If you're company doesn't offer you the raise that you deserve, you move to another company. Is that being tempermental?

Whether it was the financially smart decision by Bell is a different story. And yes, we're a much better football team with him than without. 

On 3/17/2019 at 12:57 PM, MDL_JET said:

Bangkok post is where you're getting your sports news? Interesting.

BUT I don't really understand the 'me first, distraction' part. Before last season, was there ever a problem with him?? And when he did hold out last season it seemed more of his teammates not welcoming him back and not supporting what he was doing, taking stuff from his locker...was more of the distraction then Bell actually holding out. Only reason he was, was to make a statement to get paid for how much he was used. He was never the distraction how AB was. 

Lol I was going to remark the same thing about being from the Bangkok Post. But it came up during a Leveon Bell or Jets Google news search and I found it an interesting read. As an aside Thailand can be very American/British in many ways, lots of expats there.

The me first, distraction part: I heard on NFL Network he was late and/or missed practice enough through the years to the point it was a distraction. Plus his prior off-field issues (DUI, marijuana, etc). Which when you're Le'veon Bell becomes a distraction vs. some scrub.

But you're right about he was never the locker room cancer type AB was.

On 3/17/2019 at 12:52 PM, JetsLife said:

I am not clicking on a link to the Bangkok Post. Are you nuts?

21 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Best rb AND wr this team has had in over a decade.  I’ll take my chances for 13m/year.  

I read about his prowess as a WR all the time.  What is it based on?  I understand that he catches a ton of balls and looks smooth. I get that he motions to slot a bunch, but I read recently that he depth of target was very short,.  IIRC it was considerably shorter than Tevin Coleman.  Am I missing something? 

On 3/17/2019 at 9:55 AM, FidelioJet said:

Yes, we're only tied to him for 2 years and that's pretty much all we want from him.  He has nice incentives to him succeeded.  It really is a Jet friendly contract.

Assuming the team is winning I think you're going to get a good teammate in the time he's here.

I like the fact that he'll essentially be playing for a new contract in year 2 with the Jets.

Archived