When does Darron Lee get released or traded?

NYJ1

I think Mac's actions during free agency speak loudly to his intentions. Darron Lee's days with the Jets are numbered. So when does he get cut?

As much as I've never been a fan of the pick there's definitely a trade market for him. He's still 25 and he can fly. He also had a few stints of decent play here and there. That should be impressive enough for a team running a strict 4-3 alignment or a team that wants to make him a Safety due to his diminutive stature to bite. There's no way Mac can recoup the 1st rounder he wasted on Lee, but I think he might be able to get say a 5th for him? Your thoughts/predictions as to when he gets walked?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s funny I actually think the best front 7 right now is a 4-3 with Jenkins at WDE, McLendon at NT, Williams at DT, Anderson at SDE, Lee at WLB, Mosley at MLB, and Williamson at SLB.

Not perfect fits for everyone but I think those are the best 7 while there are more good off ball linebackers than edges. And frankly another edge rusher arguably just pushes Jenkins to being a nice piece as a rotational rusher. Don’t actually run a lot of seven man fronts but Lee was always more of a WLB.

I wonder if there’s a trade in place for say the 5th round but they wait until the draft to announce kind of like what I think happened with Leon Washington. 

Darron Lee is most likely going nowhere.  Why would he?  New Coaching Staff, brings a new defensive scheme, one that finally fits his skill set.  He is on a low cost contract, and is on a roster that needs players added, not subtracted.  He made strides last year, despite his suspension.  This is his last chance to prove he belongs on this team going forward.  He will get that chance this year.

I forgot he only makes 1.8 this year. Thanks and that obviously changed the thought process regarding his future. He might actually be better as a second stringer? I never thought he garnered the necessary talent to be 1st string to begin with.

But those claiming he gets one more year to prove himself I disagree with. The Jets just signed probably the best ILB in Mosley. He was signed specifically to take Lee's place in the lineup. Lee remaining with the team past this season could only happen if Lee is willing to accept veteran minimum type money. The arrogant little twerp thinks he's worth more.

15 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I forgot he only makes 1.8 this year. Thanks and that obviously changed the thought process regarding his future. He might actually be better as a second stringer? I never thought he garnered the necessary talent to be 1st string to begin with.

But those claiming he gets one more year to prove himself I disagree with. The Jets just signed probably the best ILB in Mosley. He was signed specifically to take Lee's place in the lineup. Lee remaining with the team past this season could only happen if Lee is willing to accept veteran minimum type money. The arrogant little twerp thinks he's worth more.

So there's the real reason for this thread. The "arrogant little twerp" comment just exposed it. 

You hate Lee, wanted everyone to join you in a bash fest.

The trolling didn't go well, huh?

12 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I think if somebody offered a 4th (What Saints gave up for Apple) the Jets would jump at it. Unfortunately hes probably only going to net a 6th at this point so its probably best just keeping him. 

He played better than Apple did with the Jints or NO

I would hope we could get a 3rd. Anything less hold onto him

If I'm not mistaken, by trading him now you are giving your trading partner the ability to decide on his 5th year option for 2020.  There is some value to that I think.  Waiting to see how he does with our new DC is fine but if he sucks he will have no trade value then since its likely the Jets won't exercise the option.  So if it were my call, I'd hit the phones now....

54 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

So there's the real reason for this thread. The "arrogant little twerp" comment just exposed it. 

You hate Lee, wanted everyone to join you in a bash fest.

The trolling didn't go well, huh?

WTH are you talking about? This thread was specifically made because I thought the Jets wouldn't be done making moves to better the team. Maybe he gets traded for a player? Maybe Mac ends up with an additional pick in the draft?

In regards to the comment, it's a fact. Everyone knows it. Get over it. It also goes back to proving just how bad the 2016 draft truly was. If not for Jenkins, the Jets would be looking at another 2014 John Idzik draft.

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If I'm not mistaken, by trading him now you are giving your trading partner the ability to decide on his 5th year option for 2020.  There is some value to that I think.  Waiting to see how he does with our new DC is fine but if he sucks he will have no trade value then since its likely the Jets won't exercise the option.  So if it were my call, I'd hit the phones now....

It also helps the Jets going into the draft of they end with an additional pick. 

Just how is he going to prove himself when we have mosely and avery williamson?  He won't see the field.  I do not see him as a greg williams type player (aka hard nosed).  They should do everything they can to trade him now.  If not he stays as a back up i guess.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just how is he going to prove himself when we have mosely and avery williamson?  He won't see the field.  I do not see him as a greg williams type player (aka hard nosed).  They should do everything they can to trade him now.  If not he stays as a back up i guess.

Lee has already proven himself as a horrible player.  4 freakin years of watching him get blown up by every tight end

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I think Mac's actions during free agency speak loudly to his intentions. Darron Lee's days with the Jets are numbered. So when does he get cut?

He doesn't pure and simple. I want to see what Greg Williams does with him.

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Lee has already proven himself as a horrible player.  4 freakin years of watching him get blown up by every tight end

What about RB's? I saw him get torched no matter who was catching the ball.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree he's a bad fit for the 3-4, but claiming he won't see the field isn't true. They're not going to simply keep him and plant him on the bench. If they keep him it will be with a business purpose in mind.

Archived