When does Darron Lee get released or traded?

NYJ1

Darron Lee is a below average to downright bad football player coming of a season with a suspension.   He has almost no value on the trade market.   It is maybe like a 7th, maybe... which is what the Jets gave Indy for Henry Anderson.

Lee should have to fight for a roster spot in TC.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Watching Darron Lee and Buster Skrine give up pointage every Sunday has been a dark period of my life

Well, CJ Mosley for one is most certainly a step in the right direction. I knew he was a good player, but I had no idea just how good until recently? He'll likely better than ever under Williams.

Just now, NYJ1 said:

Well, CJ Mosley for one is most certainly a step in the right direction. I knew he was a good player, but I had no idea just how good until recently? He'll likely better than ever under Williams.

Mosely is not only way better than Lee but he gives the defense an identity kinda like Bart Scott did in 2009

I wouldn’t be shocked to find out that G. Williams wants nothing to do with Lee (which led to the Mosley and aborted Barr deals).  After seeing some video of Lee refusing to take on blocks, Coach “Put Your Testicles in the C Gap”, may have told Mac to replace Lee, ASAP.

Personally, I’d be fine with keeping Lee around as a situational player, given that he’ll be paid like one this year.  However, we still may need to make a trade for a player at some point, and he’s really our only traceable asset that doesn’t involve losing draft picks or positioning.

2 minutes ago, MykePM said:

I wouldn’t be shocked to find out that G. Williams wants nothing to do with Lee (which led to the Mosley and aborted Barr deals).  After seeing some video of Lee refusing to take on blocks, Coach “Put Your Testicles in the C Gap”, may have told Mac to replace Lee, ASAP.

Very, very possible.

If we can get a 4 for him, maybe even a 5, I would take it.  Either that or ship him off somewhere in exchange for a center.  Otherwise, let him play out his contract and maybe get a comp pick for him.  No reason to release him -- saves $2MM cap and you get nothing for him.

Any chance he could rush the passer coming off the edge on passing downs?

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Mosely is not only way better than Lee but he gives the defense an identity kinda like Bart Scott did in 2009

Wanted him SO BADLY in '14, and he went RIGHT BEFORE our Glorious #18 pick of SS Calvin Pryor.:roll:

1 hour ago, MykePM said:

Personally, I’d be fine with keeping Lee around as a situational player, given that he’ll be paid like one this year.  However, we still may need to make a trade for a player at some point, and he’s really our only traceable asset that doesn’t involve losing draft picks or positioning.

Where's this film you speak of? 

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I agree he's a bad fit for the 3-4, but claiming he won't see the field isn't true. They're not going to simply keep him and plant him on the bench. If they keep him it will be with a business purpose in mind.

isn't keep him planted on the bench = won;t see the field?

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Well, that's my hope. Nothing, not even the offense, has been as disappointing as seeing the Jets defense slip to the mid 20's in total defense imo.

4 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Darron Lee is most likely going nowhere.  Why would he?  New Coaching Staff, brings a new defensive scheme, one that finally fits his skill set.  He is on a low cost contract, and is on a roster that needs players added, not subtracted.  He made strides last year, despite his suspension.  This is his last chance to prove he belongs on this team going forward.  He will get that chance this year.

Because he gets ran over and is a liability regarding the drug policy.  Plus he would rather hit a woman than a QB.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Darron Lee is a below average to downright bad football player coming of a season with a suspension.   He has almost no value on the trade market.   It is maybe like a 7th, maybe... which is what the Jets gave Indy for Henry Anderson.

Lee should have to fight for a roster spot in TC.

For what it's worth, PFF grades him as above average. He's not great, but the hate he generates around here is a little disproportionate to his level of play. I'd listen to trade offers for him, but I wouldn't be in a rush to move him. Not as his salary. He's cheap, quality depth. Out of the starting lineup, he'd probably be useful on special teams, too.  

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Because he gets ran over and is a liability regarding the drug policy.  Plus he would rather hit a woman than a QB.

I get it but that doesn't change the fact that he'll likely be with us, at least this year.  He didn't hit the woman, he was dragged away by Leo, who knows if he would have.

As for the drugs he knows he's on thin ice.  You've got to believe he's not stupid enough to get that third strike.  If he does, the Jets won't have to pay him, and he'll be released.  You don't sell in a  down market, that is if there is even a market for him that exists.

10 minutes ago, slats said:

For what it's worth, PFF grades him as above average. He's not great, but the hate he generates around here is a little disproportionate to his level of play. I'd listen to trade offers for him, but I wouldn't be in a rush to move him. Not as his salary. He's cheap, quality depth. Out of the starting lineup, he'd probably be useful on special teams, too.  

You're going to play a former 1st round draft choice on ST? I think this says it all? The minute you start using a 1st round linebacker on ST, that's when you know you severely missed the mark.

9 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I get it but that doesn't change the fact that he'll likely be with us, at least this year.  He didn't hit the woman, he was dragged away by Leo, who knows if he would have.

As for the drugs he knows he's on thin ice.  You've got to believe he's not stupid enough to get that third strike.  If he does, the Jets won't have to pay him, and he'll be released.  You don't sell in a  down market, that is if there is even a market for him that exists.

If I have to believe he's not stupid enough to get that third strike, then WHY did the he get the first one? SECOND one?

30 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I don't think you're understanding what you're reading? Perhaps you read my post again??

Yeah i misread what you wrote.

I think you are wrong though.  Where is he going to play?  We have two starting ilbs, he is not an olb fit at all.  Where are his snaps going to come from?

4 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

You're going to play a former 1st round draft choice on ST? I think this says it all? The minute you start using a 1st round linebacker on ST, that's when you know you severely missed the mark.

I was kinda hip to the fact that they missed the mark when they signed his replacement for 5 years/$85M. Four years later, it doesn't matter where he was drafted. You use him where he can be put to use. Maybe he has a nice season and next year he can weigh favorably in the comp pick formula. No point in cutting him. 

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah i misread what you wrote.

I think you are wrong though.  Where is he going to play?  We have two starting ilbs, he is not an olb fit at all.  Where are his snaps going to come from?

They'll use him off the bench

55 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If Barr didnt walk it would be a stronger case to trade him.  Now, why?

He's redundant. You don't need to pay 1.8 million to a second stringer. The Jets just signed possibly the best ILB in the game. Keep Neville Hewitt who I thought player rather well in Lee's absence.

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I forgot he only makes 1.8 this year. Thanks and that obviously changed the thought process regarding his future. He might actually be better as a second stringer? I never thought he garnered the necessary talent to be 1st string to begin with.

But those claiming he gets one more year to prove himself I disagree with. The Jets just signed probably the best ILB in Mosley. He was signed specifically to take Lee's place in the lineup. Lee remaining with the team past this season could only happen if Lee is willing to accept veteran minimum type money. The arrogant little twerp thinks he's worth more.

In the 3-4 can't they try Lee as the weak side olb with the edge rusher Allen or Bosa initially coming in from both sides on passing downs and still have Lee in for coverage?.

9 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

In the 3-4 can't they try Lee as the weak side olb with the edge rusher Allen or Bosa initially coming in from both sides on passing downs and still have Lee in for coverage?.

Who's he going to cover? That's his biggest knock. His draft profile touted him as an excellent coverage linebacker, yet he's always been terrible in coverage. He never turns his head to look for the football. SUre, he had a few interceptions last season but that was only when he didn't have a coverage responsibility. He was able to sit back in the zone and watch the QB's eyes. It doesn't matter who was running a route, he couldn't cover anyone.

7 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Why would he be 'cut'?  He's low cost on rookie deal, and we save little to turn him loose.

Traded?  I suppose that's possible, but he ain't going to garner much interest especially with his substance abuse issue.

Substance abuse? He’s so small he probably gets blitzed on a puff of weed. 

As other's mentioned, his low cost makes him a legitimate option to stick on the team this year.  He's definitely worth listening to trade offers, but who knows how much will really be offered there.  The only way he could possibly get cut is if he actually gets beat out for the roster spot by other superior players in camp/preseason.

Archived