Ryan Fitzpatrick to be Dolphin's QB

rayzor

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was basically drafted by Mike Martz, who mentored Adam Gase. Fitzpatrick would have fit in Gase offense. Most of the situations Ryan Fitzpatrick went into the teams had a weak quarterback depth chart. Look at some of these names at quarterback Fitz "backed" up: Trent Edwards, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett, Tom Savage,  and Geno Smith. The best quarterback Fitz ever backed up was Carson Palmer, and a distant second best would be Jameis Winston. While Fitzpatrick was in St. Louis, he was the 3rd string both years, and never started a game his second and last year in St. Louis. I think he would have been an excellent backup for Darnold at this point in his career, but the Dolphins already grabbed him. He was a better backup quarterback option than Josh McCown. I would have liked Tyrod Taylor, but he was signed by the Chargers. Not much to choose from in regards to a backup quarterback right now. It's Brock or bust at this point. 

I’m just glad Fitz is not here bringing his bad mojo to Sam

And Fitz is not a good quarterback.  His one good year here was because Marshall and Decker both played excellent 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two years $11 mil with incentives up to $17.5-20 mil.

Jet fan: "The Dolphins are so stupid. Ha Ha"

How much did we pay McCown in 2017? How much did we pay him to nursemaid Darnold last year? 

Who's a better QB? Fitzpatrick or McCown?

If the Dolphins draft a QB in the 1st round this year, or trade for Rosen, are they still that stupid for signing Fitzpatrick?

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Jet fan: "The Dolphins are so stupid.Ha Ha"

How much did we pay McCown in 2017? How much did we pay him to nursemaid Darnold last year? 

If the Dolphins draft a QB in the 1st round this year, or trade for Rosen, are they still that stupid for signing Fitzpatrick?

If you compare anything to the asinine contract McCown got yes everything is going to sound reasonable

It’s like saying Avengers 2 wasn’t that bad it was better than Zardoz

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If you compare anything to the asinine contract McCown got yes everything is going to sound reasonable

It’s like saying Avengers 2 wasn’t that bad it was better than Zardoz

And yet all I'm reading here is Jets fans calling the Dolphins stupid for signing a better QB then McCown to a 2 year $11.5 mil contract.

Bunch of Homers.

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

And yet all I'm reading here is Jets fans calling the Dolphins stupid for signing a better QB then McCown to a 2 year $11.5 mil contract.

Bunch of Homers.

It’s not homerism.  There’s no way Fitz gets more than a 1 year contract without the dolphins coming to his rescue

Tbh I actually thought Fitz might have been stuck in Canada or AAF next year.  He stinks.

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It’s not homerism.  There’s no way Fitz gets more than a 1 year contract without the dolphins coming to his rescue

Tbh I actually thought Fitz might have been stuck in Canada or AAF next year.  He stinks.

Believe me I'm not trying to make a case that Fitzpatrick is a great QB. I'm making a case how dumb it is for Jets fans to make fun of Miami for signing him.

He's the same guy we signed in '15,and paid through the nose for in '16. Then we followed him in '17 with McCown as a starter, who we then gave $10 mil to hold a clip board last year.

We're a real bunch of QB savants. Especially since the Giants picked Barkley.

We have him handled.

All we need to do is keep the game close and it's ours. He didn't close for us and he won't close for the 'fins.

But honestly. If you are going to ride with Fitzpatrick, why didn't you just ride with Moore. We're talking stop gap anyway.

Edit: I'm actually looking forward to beating up on him twice this year. He's a Harvard guy and he comes across that the game is nothing more than a business deal.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Jet fan: "The Dolphins are so stupid. Ha Ha"

Dolphins are stupid, the jets were stupid.

Essentially 3 teams in the AFC east have been stupid for 15 years.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But they won’t draft one in the first 2 rounds until 2021. Fitz will have a great ‘19 season, so they’ll give him good coin for ‘20 and punt the QB decision another year down the road.

8 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Please tell me you're kidding. even the Dolphags can't be that stupid, can they ?

Getting sucked into Fitzpatrick is not really a conscious decision.  It's like drug addiction-the victim thinks first he'll try it a few times and drop it if it doesn't work out.  With Fitzpatirck, a team with no real starting QB says "OK, first we'll sign Fitzpatrick and then keep looking for a genuine starter-if we find one, fine, Fitzpatrick is our backup.  If we can't find a starter, well Fitzpatrick has been a starting QB in this league:"

Then two years later, when the disaster is over, they all wonder how they could have let themselves get suckered in.

But they won’t draft one in the first 2 rounds until 2021. Fitz will have a great ‘19 season, so they’ll give him good coin for ‘20 and punt the QB decision another year down the road.

And then he’ll move on to the Pats to replace a retiring Tom Brady to complete his AFC east migration. Whose uni will he wear in Canton?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

THIS GUY!!!        VVVVVVVVVV   11 NFL teams plus two other professional leagues.  REMARKABLE RECORD, never to be broken.

John Thomas O'Sullivan (born August 25, 1979) is a former professional gridiron football quarterback and is the current head football coach of Patrick Henry High School (CA) who played in the National Football League (NFL), NFL Europe and Canadian Football League (CFL) from 2002 to 2012. He played college football for the UC Davis Aggies of the University of California, Davis, where he was a three-year starter and threw for career totals of 10,745 yards and 96 touchdowns. He was named a First Team All-American in 2000 and a Second Team All-American in 2001. He was inducted into the Cal Aggie Athletics Hall of Fame in 2008.

O'Sullivan was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the sixth round of the 2002 NFL Draft. He also spent time with 10 other NFL teams: the Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots, Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, San Francisco 49ers, Cincinnati Bengals, San Diego Chargers, and Oakland Raiders. He was a backup for the majority of his NFL career but began the 2008 season as the starter for the 49ers. He also played for the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe in 2004 and 2007, leading the Galaxy to the World Bowl each year. He earned All-NFL Europa and NFL Europa Co-Offensive MVP honors in 2007. O'Sullivan spent the final season of his professional career as a backup for the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL.

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

It’s a record.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Not quite. Three more stops for sh*tzpatrick will tie tie the record.  Another journeyman Quarterback JT O'Sullivan holds the record with 10 NFL Teams.  Vaguely remember the name, didn't remember the record.   Also played in Europe, [World Football League, remember them], and the CFL.  Loved football.  And travel.  Another sixth round draft pick.  Good stuff.

I was really hoping Miami would sign Kaepernick, that would have been fun.  They are where we were 2 years ago, next year they will be making moves to get a QB in the draft then the year after are setting themselves up with a great cap situation.  If they do it right we could go from a one team division with NE winning every year to a three team division when Brady retires.  The Jets and bills are both looking like they will be good for a while and will be ready to battle for the division when Brady retires or actually starts playing his age.

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Believe me I'm not trying to make a case that Fitzpatrick is a great QB. I'm making a case how dumb it is for Jets fans to make fun of Miami for signing him.

He's the same guy we signed in '15,and paid through the nose for in '16. Then we followed him in '17 with McCown as a starter, who we then gave $10 mil to hold a clip board last year.

Why? I think Jet fans who laughed, or were pissed off, at the Jets over their own signings of Fitz or McCown are fully within their rights to laugh at the fish making the same stupid move. Really, who understands how stupid it is better than Jet fans? 

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Are you suggesting that signing Fitz to a 12mil deal was lauded around here? 

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

But Miami signing Fitz is dumb

4 hours ago, slats said:

Why? I think Jet fans who laughed, or were pissed off, at the Jets over their own signings of Fitz or McCown are fully within their rights to laugh at the fish making the same stupid move. Really, who understands how stupid it is better than Jet fans? 

Remember when we were in "Suck for Sam" mode?

Even though we were all okay with the tanking thing to get a QB, almost everyone agreed that we still needed a functional veteran QB to run the offense. If nothing else we felt it was important to have a McCown/Fitz type QB in order help develop the WRs and others on the roster.

Now we see Miami instituting their rebuild model, only their WR group is probably their strongest unit. If you go by the theory that no NFL team ever full out tanks, why wouldn't Miami want at least a serviceable QB this year, if for nothing else, help install their new offense.

Then there is the fact that the Fitzpatrick signing in no way prevents them from drafting (or trading for Rosen) either this year or next. Sure some Jets fans were upset with Fitzpatrick's holdout and performance in '16, but lets not lose sight of the fact that his '15 season was the best by a Jets QB in years, Darnold's rookie year included. Then add in the fact that McCown made $10 mil last year? Sorry, Jets fans shouldn't be laughing at Miami right now. Same way we shouldn't be laughing at the Giants.

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Remember when we were in "Suck for Sam" mode?

Even though we were all okay with the tanking thing to get a QB, almost everyone agreed that we still needed a functional veteran QB to run the offense. If nothing else we felt it was important to have a McCown/Fitz type QB in order help develop the WRs and others on the roster.

Now we see Miami following the same rebuild model, with the exception being WR is probably their strongest unit. If you go by the theory that no NFL team ever full out tanks, why wouldn't Miami want at least a serviceable QB this year, if for nothing else, help install their new offense.

Then there is the fact that the Fitzpatrick signing in no way prevents them from drafting (or trading for Rosen) either this year or next. Sure some Jets fans were upset with Fitzpatrick's holdout and performance in '16, but lets not lose sight of the fact that his '15 season was the best by a Jets QB in years, Darnold's rookie year included. Then add in the fact that McCown made $10 mil last year? Sorry, Jets fans shouldn't be laughing at Miami right now. Same way we shouldn't be laughing at the Giants.

I was never in favor of tanking for anyone, were you?  I can't imagine a fan, of any team actually rooting for his team to lose, for any player.  It goes against the nature of being a fan.  And for a full season, no less???  Life is too short. Wasting a full season of football ,hoping for some draft position that is based on hundreds of uncontrollable variables, is just plainly insane.

By the way, the 10 million McCown contract of last year was a gift, paid with money that was not going to be used for any other resource.  They paid it to him inasmuch for his value as a mentor and influence on Sam, as his value as a quarterback.

6 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

THIS GUY!!!        VVVVVVVVVV   11 NFL teams plus two other professional leagues.  REMARKABLE RECORD, never to be broken.

John Thomas O'Sullivan (born August 25, 1979) is a former professional gridiron football quarterback and is the current head football coach of Patrick Henry High School (CA) who played in the National Football League (NFL), NFL Europe and Canadian Football League (CFL) from 2002 to 2012. He played college football for the UC Davis Aggies of the University of California, Davis, where he was a three-year starter and threw for career totals of 10,745 yards and 96 touchdowns. He was named a First Team All-American in 2000 and a Second Team All-American in 2001. He was inducted into the Cal Aggie Athletics Hall of Fame in 2008.

O'Sullivan was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the sixth round of the 2002 NFL Draft. He also spent time with 10 other NFL teams: the Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots, Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, San Francisco 49ers, Cincinnati Bengals, San Diego Chargers, and Oakland Raiders. He was a backup for the majority of his NFL career but began the 2008 season as the starter for the 49ers. He also played for the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe in 2004 and 2007, leading the Galaxy to the World Bowl each year. He earned All-NFL Europa and NFL Europa Co-Offensive MVP honors in 2007. O'Sullivan spent the final season of his professional career as a backup for the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL.

Not quite. Three more stops for sh*tzpatrick will tie tie the record.  Another journeyman Quarterback JT O'Sullivan holds the record with 10 NFL Teams.  Vaguely remember the name, didn't remember the record.   Also played in Europe, [World Football League, remember them], and the CFL.  Loved football.  And travel.  Another sixth round draft pick.  Good stuff.

ESPN said it was a record of some kind.  I guess I got it wrong.

46 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I was never in favor of tanking for anyone, were you?  I can't imagine a fan, of any team actually rooting for his team to lose, for any player.  It goes against the nature of being a fan.  And for a full season, no less???  Life is too short. Wasting a full season of football ,hoping for some draft position that is based on hundreds of uncontrollable variables, is just plainly insane.

By the way, the 10 million McCown contract of last year was a gift, paid with money that was not going to be used for any other resource.  They paid it to him inasmuch for his value as a mentor and influence on Sam, as his value as a quarterback.

I never bought into the "tanking" thing. To me it was simply the Jets brass realizing they knew they had to tear down the '16 team. "Suck for Sam" was a clever term fans attached to the rebuild. Like you, I've been around quite a while, and we both know most organizations, and certainly no CS ever goes into "full tank" mode.

We saw it last year when Oakland won games late, hell even Arizona gave KC a battle in week 17. When the day comes that I see a team pull their starters in the second half of a tight game, I'll believe in the tanking thing.

As for McCown, I'm not so sure the $10 mil was a "gift." If you remember they signed him before the draft, not knowing who they would get as their rookie QB. I think it's more then fair to assume they felt they would need McCown to start at least the first half of the'18 season. Drafting Darnold, and him winning the job in the preseason (or at least not losing it) allayed those concerns however. I know the spin became Sam needed a mentor, and McCown certainly was that, but I don't think the Jets "gifted' him anything. I think they had genuine concern he might be needed on the field  in '18 at the time they signed him.

Archived