Mac might have a very tough decision ahead.

genot

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't necessarily agree.  By tendering him, we have control.  We can match any offer, or we can let him go and get a 2.  If he plays the season under the tender, then he is UFA next season, and he would have control rather than us.  If he leaves, we might get a comp pick, but probably a 4 or 5 at best.  Some risks involved either way, but I don't see it as a terrbile strategy.

There is always tagging him if he blew it up this year. It’s doubtful but an option. We’ll be signing more FA next year than we lose so probably no comp pick. 

Id be interested to see how he comes into camp and perform. If he looks good try and lock him up on a 3 yr deal with some guaranteed money... he might go for that for security before going into the season.

Just spitballing here

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mac is dangling Robby for another team to take and give us a second round pick.  

The Jets are not paying Robby 10mm/year. We can figure out the WR later. Take the pick 

Take the pick and then go trade for another WR with a 3rd round pick.  Grab a C with the 2nd round pick.

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

There is always tagging him if he blew it up this year. It’s doubtful but an option. We’ll be signing more FA next year than we lose so probably no comp pick. 

Id be interested to see how he comes into camp and perform. If he looks good try and lock him up on a 3 yr deal with some guaranteed money... he might go for that for security before going into the season.

Just spitballing here

I don't see Robby as a candidate for the tag.  WRs are getting $17 mil under the tag this year.  Likley to go up next year.  Robby is a nice 2 or 3; but he is not worth that type of money.  You did say if he blew up this year -- so I guess if he has a huge year and proves he is a more complete receiver than I think, it is an option, but I just don't see him as that type of #1 WR.

If he plays on the tender, we can always extend him during the season, but the fact that nobody offerred a 2 could impact his asking price.  Not saying I know why Macc gave him the R2 tender instead of the 1, but I don't think it is that crazy a move.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Whatever anyone is willing to offer for him on the tender you take it. Finding guys that run in a straight line fast, drop half the balls thrown at them, and get into nonsense off the field is not hard. That’s why Anderson was a UDFA in the first place.

I thought it was because he played at a small school and wasn’t invited to the combine??

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

I obviously know nothing about what other teams (or my own for that matter) are thinking, but I tend to think that we probably overvalue Robby compared to what the rest of the league might think of him. I'd be a little surprised if any team were willing to give a 2nd for him during his "prove it" year before he hits free agency and finally can get a taste of real money. 

Personally, I would love to see Mac lock him up this summer on a reasonable 3-4 year deal before he hits the field this year. As of now, Robby has never had a statistically "wow" year and I would rather not risk him going off this year and increasing his value. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Robby should have been tendered with a first round pick.  I'm not in love with this immature nut job anymore than anyone else, but what the heck is the plan if he signs elsewhere?  What do you have left ? Enunwa who we like but can't stay on the field ? Your receiving corps without Robby would be a disaster at the current time.  If Robby signs a tender with another club I will guarantee it will cost more to match than he would have got on just a first round tender.  Even with Robby this recever group has zero depth who's playing when one of the top 3 gets dinged up ??  Sorry for my lack of confidence that the Jets would not exchange Robby for second rounder who will will contribute half of what Robby does (minus the nut in the eye) 

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

According to spotrac Robby's market value is 11.7 million a year. He is a ****ING GOOD player. A low first round pick is even below market value for him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/robby-anderson-19352/market-value/

I just don’t understand people who don’t respect this guys talent.  Did he make some non thinking mistakes? Sure.  The guy can do some knucklehead things, but he’s still just a kid and hopefully he has learned.

Outside of Tyreek Hill who can get deep easier than Anderson in the NFL?  (Going against ANY corner).

All the guy needs a QB who can finally get him the ball deep, which now he has.

Still don’t understand not going with the 1st Rd tender.  And even if you got that 1st Rder you’re not getting a WR who can do what he can.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Robby is the guy we tried twice to get recently in the draft.  Devin Smith and before that, Stephen Hill.  So apparently, finding a guy who runs fast and catches passes isn't quite as easy as all that.  Robby showed progress in his development as a WR last season in the last 4 games.  I don't get the urgency some of you have to get rid of him for a 2nd round pick just so you can say "WE SUCK AT DRAFTING IN THE 2ND ROUND" one more time.  There seems to be some odd reasoning that we'll just get a great WR in the bottom of round 2 to replace him because it's easy.  

Pro tip:  It's not easy.

Exactly.

Also, and you wouldn’t call this a minor detail, who is deciding on who to draft with the 2nd Rd pick you’d get for Anderson?

Outside of picking in the Top 3, the guy making the pick whiffs about 90% of the time.

• Sympathy 1

The Jets are obviously not interested, at this point, in keeping Robby here long term. He's already expressed interest in a long term deal and he's coming off a down year besides 2 games. I would think the Jets could get a below market deal to keep him long term at this point, yet they haven't. I think that shows how they feel about him.

19 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I just don’t understand people who don’t respect this guys talent.  Did he make some non thinking mistakes? Sure.  The guy can do some knucklehead things, but he’s still just a kid and hopefully he has learned.

Outside of Tyreek Hill who can get deep easier than Anderson in the NFL?  (Going against ANY corner).

All the guy needs a QB who can finally get him the ball deep, which now he has.

Still don’t understand not going with the 1st Rd tender.  And even if you got that 1st Rder you’re not getting a WR who can do what he can.

You're overrating him by a lot.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Robby is the guy we tried twice to get recently in the draft.  Devin Smith and before that, Stephen Hill, both in...wait for it...the 2nd round.  So apparently, finding a guy who runs fast and catches passes isn't quite as easy as all that.  Robby showed progress in his development as a WR last season in the last 4 games.  I don't get the urgency some of you have to get rid of him for a 2nd round pick just so you can say "WE SUCK AT DRAFTING IN THE 2ND ROUND" one more time.  There seems to be some odd reasoning that we'll just get a great WR in the bottom of round 2 to replace him because it's easy.  

Pro tip:  It's not easy.

Robby should've shown progress the entire year. Instead he had 2 very good games and 12 below average games where he averaged 3 rec and 48 yards. Even in the last 4 games 2 of them were horrible. 

For me personally I'm not a fan of his. He's an excellent deep threat and average at everything else a WR needs to do. He's very replaceable.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Robby should've shown progress the entire year. Instead he had 2 very good games and 12 below average games where he averaged 3 rec and 48 yards. Even in the last 4 games 2 of them were horrible. 

For me personally I'm not a fan of his. He's an excellent deep threat and average at everything else a WR needs to do. He's very replaceable.

Again...by whom?  Unknown draft pick in the late 2nd round?

24 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Of Robby's last four games, three were great and one (against the Pats) was so-so.  No horrible games in there.

As far as this nonsense that all he does is run fast in a straight line, isn't that a good thing?  Now that we have a RB like Bell and a WR like Crowder, wouldn't you want someone the other team has to focus on as a deep threat?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Of Robby's last four games, three were great and one (against the Pats) was so-so.  No horrible games in there.

I guess when you're trying to shoehorn facts into a narrative 4 catches for 76 yards and 1 TD (BUF) is horrible.  The NE game was bad, but it was an awful all-around performance by the entire team.  Hard to single out any one player for that one.  Sam passed for 167 yards total and 0 TDs.  

The legitimate concern with Robby is his catch rate is low.  That's what I'd like to see improve this season.  I suspect that will be a very keen focus of Gase and the coaching staff in August.

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Again...by whom?  Unknown draft pick in the late 2nd round?

Well Crowder will be the focal point of the WR core based on Gase's scheme. Slot WR's historically have had the most targets in his offense. The majority of the passes in a Gase offense are less than 10 yards down the field. Robby will be either the 4th or 5th option behind Crowder, Bell, Herndon and maybe Enunwa. That's why I think he should be traded if you can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick. His value in this offense is very limited.

And his production is being replaced by the arrival of Bell and Crowder which pushes him down the pecking order.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

As far as this nonsense that all he does is run fast in a straight line, isn't that a good thing?  Now that we have a RB like Bell and a WR like Crowder, wouldn't you want someone the other team has to focus on as a deep threat?

So 1 of the great games he had 4 rec and 76 yards. That's great to you?

And the so-so game against the Pats where he has 3 rec and 24 yards on 8 targets wasn't terrible?

Come on now.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Well Crowder will be the focal point of the WR core based on Gase's scheme. Slot WR's historically have had the most targets in his offense. The majority of the passes in a Gase offense are less than 10 yards down the field. Robby will be either the 4th or 5th option behind Crowder, Bell, Herndon and maybe Enunwa. That's why I think he should be traded if you can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick. His value in this offense is very limited.

And his production is being replaced by the arrival of Bell and Crowder which pushes him down the pecking order.

Fair analysis.  But even so, you still need a downfield guy.  I guess you're saying just grab any old guy and hope you didn't draft Stephen Hill / Devin Smith 2.0.  If we turn a 2nd rounder into a quality OL and then grab that speed guy a bit later on, I guess it could make some sense.  See, I'm stubborn but not completely intractable.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

A receiver who tracks the ball very well and makes very difficult catches along the sidelines. Best receiver we have had in a couple of years. Not a true #1 but could become one in time and with hard work 

i cant stress how much i would rather have someone like a Golden Tate over RA. There is nothing about his personality or ability to play football that instills confidence in me that he could be a top line receiver in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Fair analysis.  But even so, you still need a downfield guy.  I guess you're saying just grab any old guy and hope you didn't draft Stephen Hill / Devin Smith 2.0.  If we turn a 2nd rounder into a quality OL and then grab that speed guy a bit later on, I guess it could make some sense.  See, I'm stubborn but not completely intractable.  

Enunwa and Crowder can both run go routes and are both fast as well. Enunwa just hasn't been used that way as much. I'm not really in favor of drafting a WR early at all. The Jets will return Crowder, Enunwa, Bell and Herndon next year. I'm not saying Anderson is bad or doesn't have value. I just believe that if a player is not in your long term plans it is better to get something of value for him before he leaves. That's why I'm for trading Leo, Robby and Lee. I think they're all replaceable and we're better off getting value now for all of them. Best case scenario you add two 2nd's and a 5th round pick. That's what I would do anyway.

4 hours ago, genot said:

If the Chiefs release Hill, or he's suspended by the NFL indefinitely, the Chiefs might make an offer to Robby, which is well beyond his market value. What doe's Mac do??

Match the offer?  We have much more money than the Chiefs

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

When he was the only starting WR in the game?  When he was hurt?  When we had no running game? And our QB struggled like a rookie? Easy to explain

Very replaceable?  Then why would KC shell out 10+ mil per, ship us their 2nd for a WR who is easy to find and should come cheap.  

Because you're selling him short 

• Upvote 1