Jump to content

Is Bell the best offensive player that ever played for the Jets?


More Cowbell
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yes, he was up till 2017 a very good, elite even, RB.  Lets see what he is now, here. 

This is the only part of your post I’d argue, or take exception to.

 Bell is at worst Elite not very good, and at best can argue top 5 back of all time.  Now I will agree at times eye test wise, and big play take it to the house threat from anywhere isn’t his specialty either.  But statistically wise he is the best ever Scrimmage yards per game if I’m not mistaken, and in like 20-25 fewer games is tied for, or in top 3 for most games of 100 or more scrimmage yards since he entered the league (like 34, or something which is like more then 50% of his games played if I had to guess which I am educated), then back to the eye test where I said at times, but their are a lot of other times when you just watch him run in place patiently behind the LOS feet ALWAYS moving even though it seems he is standing still, and then boom hits a crease, or just pushes a blocker patiently while he gains positive yards while any other RB would have gotten at best just across the LOS type gain he is turning into 4-10+ yard gains, so that part of the eye test is just WOW!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       168 166 3518 14101 90 70 4.0 83.9 20.9 606 484 3329 6.9 10 41 2.9 19.8   4002 4.4 17430 100 29 128
8 yrs NYJ     123 123 2560 10302 58 60 4.0 83.8 20.8 453 367 2439 6.6 5 34 3.0 19.8   2927 4.4 12741 63 17 92
1995* 22 NWE RB 28 16 15 368 1487 14 49 4.0 92.9 23.0 50 30 261 8.7 1 27 1.9 16.3 60.0% 398 4.4 1748 15 5 10
1996* 23 NWE RB 28 16 15 316 1152 14 57 3.6 72.0 19.8 52 46 333 7.2 3 41 2.9 20.8 88.5% 362 4.1 1485 17 4 13
1997 24 NWE RB 28 13 13 274 1160 4 70 4.2 89.2 21.1 51 41 296 7.2 1 22 3.2 22.8 80.4% 315 4.6 1456 5 3 13
1998* 25 NYJ RB 28 15 15 369 1287 8 60 3.5 85.8 24.6 57 43 365 8.5 1 23 2.9 24.3 75.4% 412 4.0 1652 9 5 13
1999 26 NYJ RB 28 16 16 367 1464 5 50 4.0 91.5 22.9 49 45 259 5.8 0 34 2.8 16.2 91.8% 412 4.2 1723 5 2 13
2000 27 NYJ RB 28 16 16 316 1204 9 55 3.8 75.3 19.8 96 70 508 7.3 2 31 4.4 31.8 72.9% 386 4.4 1712 11 2 10
2001* 28 NYJ RB 28 16 16 333 1513 10 47 4.5 94.6 20.8 63 53 320 6.0 0 27 3.3 20.0 84.1% 386 4.7 1833 10 2 15
2002 29 NYJ RB 28 16 16 261 1094 7 35 4.2 68.4 16.3 56 49 362 7.4 0 28 3.1 22.6 87.5% 310 4.7 1456 7 0 12
2003 30 NYJ RB 28 16 16 323 1308 2 56 4.0 81.8 20.2 53 42 262 6.2 0 29 2.6 16.4 79.2% 365 4.3 1570 2 2 11
2004*+ 31 NYJ RB 28 16 16 371 1697 12 25 4.6 106.1 23.2 49 41 245 6.0 2 22 2.6 15.3 83.7% 412 4.7 1942 14 2 14
2005 32 NYJ RB 28 12 12 220 735 5 49 3.3 61.3 18.3 30 24 118 4.9 0 14 2.0 9.8 80.0% 244 3.5 853 5 2 4

Curtis Martin.

  Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds      
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       62 62 1229 5336 35 81 4.3 86.1 19.8 397 312 2660 8.5 7 48 5.0 42.9   1541 5.2 7996 42 8 60
2013 21 PIT RB 26 13 13 244 860 8 43 3.5 66.2 18.8 66 45 399 8.9 0 43 3.5 30.7 68.2% 289 4.4 1259 8 1 8
2014*+ 22 PIT RB 26 16 16 290 1361 8 81 4.7 85.1 18.1 105 83 854 10.3 3 48 5.2 53.4 79.0% 373 5.9 2215 11 0 17
2015 23 PIT rb 26 6 6 113 556 3 42 4.9 92.7 18.8 26 24 136 5.7 0 20 4.0 22.7 92.3% 137 5.1 692 3 0 5
2016* 24 PIT RB 26 12 12 261 1268 7 44 4.9 105.7 21.8 94 75 616 8.2 2 32 6.3 51.3 79.8% 336 5.6 1884 9 4 15
2017*+ 25 PIT RB 26 15 15 321 1291 9 27 4.0 86.1 21.4 106 85 655 7.7 2 42 5.7 43.7 80.2% 406 4.8 1946 11 3 15

 

Thanks for posting. Another thing to take away from this is a point I've been trying to make about Bell's "mileage"  being grossly overstated.  According to Bell's touch count, he is only through year 4 of Curtis' career.  If he follows Cumar's career path, he could have as much as 6 more years of near elite production... which is WAY more than even I imagined.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fan, settling into seat for Week One: “These are truly the...”

:Leveon Bell has both femurs broken on a low hit from Tremaine Edmunds:

”...salad days.”

So your saying Tremaine Edmunds is the type of dawg Jamaal Adams has been asking for the Jets to sign, but most importantly the type of dawg he wish he was 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Curtis was not as good as Bell has been. I love CM, he's  the best Jet ever to play but Bell is the guy I would take given the choice.

Curtis Martin never had Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown spreading the field for him

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I didn't notice it until I read that Bell is a fan, but his running style reminded me of #28 a lot. 

He needs to show me he's still hungry and put the team on his back before I give him that title 

I’m not worried about his running style, and if it will be affective it will, I’m worried about the Jets not using him properly as a pass catcher where his real value lies, and why when used in this capacity he is a STEAL at his price tag, he is Jarvis Landry should you need him to be that guy makes what 17 million a year, and he can also be Frank Gore should you need him, yes the in his prime Frank Gore who would command 12 million a year at least, a smart coach will use Bell in whatever manner is best suited against that weeks opponent, BUT will also make in game adjustments the way Bell is deployed based on score, opponent adjustments ect.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread really shows just how young our fan base is, and it shows just how narcissistic young people are.

For all the people around here telling us constantly about how a great line makes great skill players, no one even mentioned any linemen. 

Does anyone even know who they are?

Btw Toon would not have survived a year playing in the 60s. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I’m not worried about his running style, and if it will be affective it will, I’m worried about the Jets not using him properly as a pass catcher where his real value lies, and why when used in this capacity he is a STEAL at his price tag, he is Jarvis Landry should you need him to be that guy makes what 17 million a year, and he can also be Frank Gore should you need him, yes the in his prime Frank Gore who would command 12 million a year at least, a smart coach will use Bell in whatever manner is best suited against that weeks opponent, BUT will also make in game adjustments the way Bell is deployed based on score, opponent adjustments ect.

The Steelers didn't fully take advantage of Bell's skills outside. I'm hoping to see Bell show off his route running abilities, and his contested catching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Bell's numbers are nothing to sneeze at

Nothing against Curtis Martin debate at all.

But this is crazy, dude is the #1 All Time scrimmage yards per game if I’m not mistaken (if I am my apologies), that’s sneezable lol.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Nothing against Curtis Martin debate at all.

But this is crazy, dude is the #1 All Time scrimmage yards per game if I’m not mistaken (if I am my apologies), that’s sneezable lol.

Great!  We'll see if he maintains that now that he is a NY Jet.

I think it's safe to say we ALL hope for that, right?

Till then, this is a silly thread full of silly people saying lots of silly silly silly things. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Great!  We'll see if he maintains that now that he is a NY Jet.

I think it's safe to say we ALL hope for that, right?

Till then, this is a silly thread full of silly people saying lots of silly silly silly things. :)

Lol

Yeah I’m just playing along with the OP’s scenario for fun here.  The reality is what happens from 2019, and beyond is all us Jets fans will care about Lev Bell related, like you said here is to hoping he comes as advertised, or better./

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

He is.  Not even close.

 

when was the last time a jets player went in the first round of a fantasy draft like Le’Veon Bell will this year? Never 

Yes he is and it NOT close.

We will see how it all plays out during Bell's time as a Jet but NO ONE in Jets history has been as impactfull in the NFL 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let’s wait see at least 2 games before we make that call 💁‍♂️Lol kidding.. He sure is a talent, but remember he is coming from a team who consistently had top five Oline in league. Compared to Mac who consistently had bottom five OL. Maybe one day are OL will improve, and our gm will make that a priority for once 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I saw my brother this weekend (Giants fan) and he said you must feel really good about the Jets? My answer was we have been in this spot before where we brought in pro bowlers.  His response was Bell is possibly the best O player ever to put on a Jets uniform. I thought about this for a while and I said you are probably right about that. I don't even think Namath was better (Namath was a little above average imo). So is Bell the best player the jets have ever acquired on O? I know he hasn't  played a down yet, this is just predicting there are no drop offs from career averages. 

Errrr no since he hasn't yet even put a Jets uni on let alone play a snap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Curtis Martin says hi

Most overrated NFL player ever. He's a Jet so I like him but man people act like he was all that and a bag of chips. Possibly most durable running back ever but that IMO does not make him great.

In terms of Bell a LOT remains to be seen.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, shawn306 said:

as do Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Freeman McNeil and Don Maynard

Bell has played 5 seasons, he's already been a 2 time 1st team all pro and a 1 time 2nd team all pro w/ 42 TDs(8.4 per season)

Wesley Walker: one 1st team all pro in 13 years w/ 71 TDs(5.5 per season)

Al Toon One 1st team all pro, one 2econd team all pro in 8 seasons w/ 31 TDs(3.9)

Freeman McNeil: One 1st team all pro in 12 seasons(strike shortened 1982 season) w/ 50 TDs(4.2)

Don Maynard: One 1st team all pro, three 2nd team all pro in 15 years w/ 88 TDs(5.9)

 

Bell is also on track to be a HOFer, the only guy in the list above who is one is Don Maynard.  It is not an insult to say Bell, if he continues his high level play from Pitt, will be the greatest offensive player we have ever had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best offensive player consideration has to factor in position. If by best you mean most impactful, QBs and RBs have a leg up on all other positions since they touch the ball so much. On the other hand, if best means best at their position in relation to all other guys who played their position in the NFL, there is a lot more to consider. 

Anyway, if the former is the question, I don't see how the answer is anyone but Namath. He had other worldly arm talent and was only limited by an ego that made him call passing plays when the correct call would be a run.

If position is considered, I'd go with Don Maynard. People don't appreciate just how good he was. He was an A++ player in every aspect if his game.

And PS, Bell has yet to play for the Jets. By this criteria, LT is the winner 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Best offensive player consideration has to factor in position. If by best you mean most impactful, QBs and RBs have a leg up on all other positions since they touch the ball so much. On the other hand, if best means best at their position in relation to all other guys who played their position in the NFL, there is a lot more to consider. 

Anyway, if the former is the question, I don't see how the answer is anyone but Namath. He had other worldly arm talent and was only limited by an ego that made him call passing plays when the correct call would be a run.

If position is considered, I'd go with Don Maynard. People don't appreciate just how good he was. He was an A++ player in every aspect if his game.

And PS, Bell has yet to play for the Jets. By this criteria, LT is the winner 

Namath was limited by injuries, a fully healthy namath runs away with this but he was never healthy.  I think it's a debate btw Bell and Maynard.

We knew we were getting an D, at the end of his career, LT.  If we got LT in year 6 he'd be the leader but we got years 10 & 11 of LT and he was only available because he was in steep decline.  Bell had 1291 rush yds his last season which would be good for 8th all time, he also had 85 recs which would be good for 7th all time and he missed a game.  He's a weapon we have never had before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

This thread really shows just how young our fan base is, and it shows just how narcissistic young people are.

For all the people around here telling us constantly about how a great line makes great skill players, no one even mentioned any linemen. 

Does anyone even know who they are?

Btw Toon would not have survived a year playing in the 60s. 

Im an older player, but what is the point of comparing Bell to a lineman? 

Like I said earlier the best offensive player I saw in green and white was Brandon Marshall in 2015.

109 receptions, 1500 yds, 14 TDs

The guy was an absolute monster until he sprained his ankle week 2 in Buffalo 2016.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Im an older player, but what is the point of comparing Bell to a lineman? 

Like I said earlier the best offensive player I saw in green and white was Brandon Marshall in 2015.

109 receptions, 1500 yds, 14 TDs

The guy was an absolute monster until he sprained his ankle week 2 in Buffalo 2016.

 

The question was who is the best offensive player, not who is the best offensive player you've seen. 

Are you trying to say that a lineman cannot be a better player than a RB, or a WR? 

Maybe you don't know but the game has changed over time. Defenses used to be allowed to mug offenses. No one was getting 1500 yards in the 60s. 

Maynard had 1400 in 67 which led pro football. He was the only player to break 100 yards per game. 

Marshall was only 4th in 2015.  2 players broke 1800 yards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...