Another Macc bust ends up in the minor leagues

jetscrazey

3rd round pick this time.  The failure rate is uncanny...

https://twitter.com/TheSpringLeague/status/1107372468279357442

Former @nyjets LB Lorenzo Mauldin IV (@LozoIV) has committed to #TheSpringLeague 2019 in Austin! The @UofLFootball alum was drafted in the third round of the 2015 #NFLDraft by the Jets and tallied 33 tackles, 6.5 sacks, a pick and, a fumble recovery over 3 seasons in New York.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame that Mauldin never worked out.  His back story, and his determination to succeed were inspiring.

He was overdrafted because of his character and work ethic - the talent level was never quite high enough for the NFL.

The injuries didn't help either, obviously.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He goes along with Devin Smith in the (can't blame GM for injuries) category. Showed promise his rookie season but he fell apart.

Need to do better

injuries had nothing to do with either player busting.  File this in the lame excuse for crap drafting folder.

The specific area of crap for Maccagnan is rounds 2-5.

Devin Smith-injuries

Lorenzo Mauldin- injuries to a lesser extent

Bryce Petty- backup QB and got slammed out of existence

Jarvis Harrison- busted and cut

Christian Hackenberg- worst decision of Macc's regime

Juston Burris- busted and cut

Stewart & Hansen- IMO given up on too early and cut

Dylan Donahue- arrested and cut

7 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

3rd round pick this time.  The failure rate is uncanny...

https://twitter.com/TheSpringLeague/status/1107372468279357442

I was going through all the minor league football rosters and it was crazy to see only former Jets draft picks on teams. Every other NFL team hits on all their draft picks except the Jets. 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Devin Smith-injuries

and there were people would balked at the idea of a 3 & 5 for AB.

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I was going through all the minor league football rosters and it was crazy to see only former Jets draft picks on teams. Every other NFL team hits on all their draft picks except the Jets.  

It is a quantifiable truth that no GM in the NFL has failed on his draft picks more than Mike Maccagnan.  He has drafted a far higher % of players that are no longer in the league than any GM out there.  Its not even close. 

And that statistic can't be explained by Todd Bowles, since those players failed at other stops too.  The league has determined them to be inferior players. 

Saying "every GM misses" is an incredibly tired excuse to try to prop Macc up.  He's the worst GM in the NFL when it comes to drafting players, and the numbers back that statement up. 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

injuries had nothing to do with either player busting.  File this in the lame excuse for crap drafting folder.

So injury had nothing to do with Smith busting?

Yeah, must have been the handful of games he was healthy that did it.

There's so much to blame Macc for you don't need to make shlt up

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It's just weird that Macc seems to do well in Round 1 and then rounds 6 & 7. That seems a weird combination.

Because the team has been so bad that they've usually been top 6 picks, where really good players can just fall into your lap.  There was literally no skill in picking Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold.  ( I will however give Macc credit for the trade up to #3, but it's total luck that he got Darnold still.)

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Mauldin was drafted when we were rebuilding, so it doesnt count as a bad pick

No, the rebuild had not started yet.  Unless all those picks hit, then it was the start of the rebuild.  But since they didnt, it's almost like it never actually happened. 

1 minute ago, jetscrazey said:

Because the team has been so bad that they've usually been top 6 picks, where really good players can just fall into your lap.  There was literally no skill in picking Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold.  ( I will however give Macc credit for the trade up to #3, but it's total luck that he got Darnold still.)

The only reason I don't think that's luck is because I think he had an inkling that the Giants would take Barkley. I mean it was being reported everywhere how much Gettleman and crew were in love with Barkley

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It is a quantifiable truth that no GM in the NFL has failed on his draft picks more than Mike Maccagnan.  He has drafted a far higher % of players that are no longer in the league than any GM out there.  Its not even close. 

And that statistic can't be explained by Todd Bowles, since those players failed at other stops too.  The league has determined them to be inferior players. 

Saying "every GM misses" is an incredibly tired excuse to try to prop Macc up.  He's the worst GM in the NFL when it comes to drafting players, and the numbers back that statement up. 

Please quantify it for me. Would love to see the statistical breakdown of all his draft picks vs. EVERY other GMs because I know a few that have missed more on 1st round picks which is far more damaging to a franchise then missing on later round picks. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Please quantify it for me. Would love to see the statistical breakdown of all his draft picks vs. EVERY other GMs because I know a few that have missed more on 1st round picks which is far more damaging to a franchise then missing on later round picks. 

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/12/19/18148590/mike-maccagnan-doesnt-have-a-very-strong-case-to-keep-his-job-as-jets-general-manager

Jason_OTCVerified account @Jason_OTC

Im assuming some of that was people wanting to see where Maccagnan of the Jets fits in so here you go. Since 2015 the Jets rank last in drafted players still in the league and tied for 22nd with players still on their own team.

Of the #Jets roster over half of the players under contract are 27 or older. Only 6 players on the roster pre-dated Mac and he signed off on contracts for each of those 6 (though i think you can make a case Winters was done before that). Not sure how Bowles only one getting blame

This year the Jets had the 19th youngest roster the league. So not only has the general manager built a poor roster. The Jets are slightly older than the average NFL team.

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Devin Smith-injuries

All of those situations really hurt this roster and lead to where we are today.  Look at the positions those guys played in summary....

WR, WR, WR

Edge/OLB, Edge/OLB

OG

CB

QB, QB

Take a look at that list and then think about what problems Macc has been forced to solve through trading and FA because of all those busts.....We signed a $30M WR3 and still have no WR1, we still have no outside pass rush and will likely have to use the #3 overall pick to get onewe just traded for a $10M OG, we're struggling to find a CB2, and we traded a boatload of picks and had to go "All In" in the 2018 draft to try to solve the QB problem.

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It is a quantifiable truth that no GM in the NFL has failed on his draft picks more than Mike Maccagnan.  He has drafted a far higher % of players that are no longer in the league than any GM out there.  Its not even close

Is there an actual list you go off of our is this an opinion?  Seems right but is it actually quantifiable?

EDIT: Saw the link.  Thanks

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Take a look at that list and then think about what problems Macc has been forced to solve through trading and FA because of all those busts.....We signed a $30M WR3 and still have no WR1, we still have no outside pass rush and will likely have to use the #3 overall pick to get onewe just traded for a $10M OG, we're struggling to find a CB2, and we traded a boatload of picks and had to go "All In" in the 2018 draft to try to solve the QB problem.

I think Darryl Roberts is CB2. Other than that, all of your problems are valid

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/12/19/18148590/mike-maccagnan-doesnt-have-a-very-strong-case-to-keep-his-job-as-jets-general-manager

Im assuming some of that was people wanting to see where Maccagnan of the Jets fits in so here you go. Since 2015 the Jets rank last in drafted players still in the league and tied for 22nd with players still on their own team.

Of the #Jets roster over half of the players under contract are 27 or older. Only 6 players on the roster pre-dated Mac and he signed off on contracts for each of those 6 (though i think you can make a case Winters was done before that). Not sure how Bowles only one getting blame

Team on the rise tho 

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Pssst.  Macc whiffed on half of his 1st rounders too. 

And if it weren't for the Giants being stupid, our QB would be Josh Allen right now.  Then we'd REALLY be wishing we hadn't taken Jamal Adams over Mahomes/Watson. 

Sure, you'll rip me for talking about hypothetical scenarios that didn't play out.  But luck is not a sustainable strategy for a franchise.  We got extremely lucky by getting Sam Darnold. 

Bad luck was not an excuse for the overwhelming majority of Macc's awful draft selections.  Just plain old bad GMing. 

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dude, that doesn't quantify all their draft picks.

You could have the most players still in the league and none of them very good. You could have the least amount of players in the league but those that are in the league are elite. 

For example, I rather have Darnold/Adams than 7 jags that lingered in the league for 5 years playing special teams. 

23 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ouch!!!

Archived