OL Stefen Wisniewski will visit the Jets today

jetscrazey

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

What's the over under we draft two lineman with the 3 Rd round picks and both bust? I m all for it regardless of outcome, but would still want a vet. 

They need to draft a WR and a C in the 3rd round... 

I may be remembering incorrectly (and I'm not using PFF grades), but my recollection is that Harrison didn't play poorly after he took over for Long. I would say his play was at least average (between good and poor on the scale).

Am I way off?

I always think of Jonathan Goodwin. We had him for a few years as a backup G and who then went to NO and SF and had a very good career as a center

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

i've broken down the film personally the eagles line got worse not better after Stefen was benched.

Personally? Implying what, that this is the sort of thing that you'd ordinarily farm out? You got people now? Let me use them. There's like four things that are gonna die on the vine if we're counting on my attention span to last as long as it takes nfldraftscout to get the combine numbers up this year.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

i've broken down the film personally the eagles line got worse not better after Stefen was benched.

that is good to hear.  he was being trashed a little on the site when first mentioned a week or so ago.

Harrison's draft profile. Sounds like someone we'd want the Jets to draft if he was coming out this year:

Overview

High school teammate of former Gator and current Buccaneer Jeff Demps. Redshirted in 2009. Primarily a reserve/special-teams contributor in '10 when he played all 13 games, drawing his first start at right tackle against Penn State in the Outback Bowl. Started all 13 at center in ;11 (played left guard against South Carolina). Started all 25 games at center 2012-13. Hurt his right elbow against Vanderbilt in '12. Was ejected from the '13 Arkansas game for accidentally touching an official -- Harrison claimed he was complaining about defenders using racist language. Team captain.

Analysis

Strengths

Outstanding size and arm length with good overall body thickness. Plays with fine balance and knee bend. Sits to anchor and can stop a charge. Matches up well vs. size and power. Strong run blocker -- can generate some movement. Sets the protections and makes the line calls. Keeps his head on a swivel -- shows awareness to switch off blocks and pick up the blitz and handle stunts. Good work ethic. Well-respected, articulate team player.

Weaknesses

Average athletic ability. Could stand to improve sustaining and finishing blocks. Lets quick penetrators cross his face. Average recovery speed once beat. Lacks ideal foot quickness and agility to pull and cut off linebackers at the second level. Can do a better job replacing his hands (tends to grab). Can learn to keep emotions in check.

Draft Projection

Rounds 4-5

Bottom Line

Very good-sized mauler functions well in a phone booth. Possesses the strength and power to match up vs. big bodies. The farther he is asked to move, the more he will struggle and would be best in a man-blocking power scheme. -Nolan Nawrocki

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah don't bet on it. Macc has demonstrated he doesn't draft OL that early. He may trade those 3rd rounders for a slew of 5th and 6th rounders though. Going by his past history anyway.

He will.  I even think he's going OL with the first if we can trade back to 6 or later.  Our previous regime  didn't value offense. Just look at the revolving door of OC's we had. These are different days.  We just signed the biggest offensive FA of them all. Let's get ready for the beefcake infusion!!  It's already begun with the trade for KO as the first thing we did this offseason. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Center is the offense's box safety.

Yes, if a center were responsible for Jenkins one on one someone made a big mistake, unless he's Mangold, in which case he can take a man for a lousy guard or go find a LB to blow up downfield. 

I guess that would be equivalent to maning up Gronk or blitzing if you had an Adams in the box. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

If it took Paradis 3 years longer to graduate college than it did Wisniewski, maybe the injury factor isn't the only reason they passed on him in FA? ?

Haha....I just looked into it.

Looks like Wisniewski went to Penn State for only 3 years.  Started as a freshman in 2008 and came out as a true Junior after the 2010 season, entering the 2011 draft.

Paradis started college a year later, in 2009, took a red shirt, and stayed for 5 years through his RS Senior year. 

So there's the three year difference. 

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

4 consecutive years of failure with regards to that can try someone's patience... imo he should have been fired along w/Bowles... To me this is a make or break draft for macc... if his mid round picks this year do zero like last yrs... he's gone... Hopefully.

To be fair Herndon was a good pick. I like Cannon too

1 minute ago, jetsons said:

1 in 4yrs doesn't make a GM... cannon... the jury is still out... you may like him but he played pretty poorly last season.

Did I say that?  Like I said im not defending him and not getting out of control with the bashing like many are. Lets give him a chance and see what he does this year with a new coaching regime

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

if you’re good at breaking down OL play, take a look at FA tyler shatley former backup C for the jags. I recall him doing well in backup for the games linder was out. both last year and 2017 (he was starting the 2 games fournette ran all over pittsburgh and the rams)

4 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I try to be fair. I don’t just assume someone will make the same mistakes. Believe me I’ve criticized his mid round picks plenty. But I try to give him a chance 

11 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Did I say that?  Like I said im not defending him and not getting out of control with the bashing like many are. Lets give him a chance and see what he does this year with a new coaching regime

I guess you don't read what you write... like I said... AFTER 4 YRS he has already had his "chance"

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

He will.  I even think he's going OL with the first if we can trade back to 6 or later.  Our previous regime  didn't value offense. Just look at the revolving door of OC's we had. These are different days.  We just signed the biggest offensive FA of them all. Let's get ready for the beefcake infusion!!  It's already begun with the trade for KO as the first thing we did this offseason. 

Ahhh optimism. We will see but Macc is still Macc and I don't buy that Bowles was the driving force behind the construction of past rosters.

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

I may be remembering incorrectly (and I'm not using PFF grades), but my recollection is that Harrison didn't play poorly after he took over for Long. I would say his play was at least average (between good and poor on the scale).

Am I way off?

I always think of Jonathan Goodwin. We had him for a few years as a backup G and who then went to NO and SF and had a very good career as a center

Harrison was fine

1 minute ago, jetsons said:

really??? you consider that "nasty"???

Or disrespectful.  Its fine have different opinions that cool but saying "I guess you cant read what you write"  is kind of sh*tty. But whatever just agree to disagree and move on

After the Compton signing today my guess it that Wisniewski would likely be the last FA signing on the OLine.  That would have Macc heading into the Draft with a trade for Osemele (LG), Compton (RT, flexibility), and Wisniewski (C).  It would allow Macc to say to himself that he at least "checked the box" for upgrading Carpenter at LG, got veteran depth at C to go with Harrison, and got some RT insurance for Shell in case he hasn't recovered from last year's injury.

If this is done then we've essentially had one upgrade (Osemele) and two bandaids applied.  But, we haven't gotten younger on the Line and this would point to OLine being a target for the Draft.  In fact, it could be said that the Jets seemingly intentional ignorance of Centers Morse and Paradis as well as most other high $ Linemen like Trent Brown, is an indicator that they're planning to address it in the Draft.  We can only hope!

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Or disrespectful.  Its fine have different opinions that cool but saying "I guess you cant read what you write"  is kind of sh*tty. But whatever just agree to disagree and move on

it wasn't meant to come off as nasty more sarcastic... no negative meant towards you... opinions are like armpits... we all have them & sometimes they stink. :)

Archived