OL Stefen Wisniewski will visit the Jets today

jetscrazey

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah don't bet on it. Macc has demonstrated he doesn't draft OL that early. He may trade those 3rd rounders for a slew of 5th and 6th rounders though. Going by his past history anyway.

I try to be fair. I don’t just assume someone will make the same mistakes. Believe me I’ve criticized his mid round picks plenty. But I try to give him a chance

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i've broken down the film personally the eagles line got worse not better after Stefen was benched.

OK but this isn't saying much about Stefen.  He could have still been bad last year and the above quote could still be true.

We need to pair Darnold with a solid, longterm answer at Center.  I'm all for a veteran stopgap but Wisniewski would likely be a one-year plug and Darnold would move on to his third center in 3 years in 2020.  That's not a good way to support your young QB!

If the Jets see 3 or 4 quality, starting Center prospects in this Draft (and by most accounts there ARE several of these guys in the current Draft class) then they really need to ensure that they get one of them.  That will require trade back from the 1st round or a trade up from the 3rd IMO.

52 minutes ago, rayzor said:

This is what many had hoped for to solve our problem at Center.  Wisniewski, 29, is a former 2nd round pick of the Raiders back in  2011.  He appeared in all 16 games with the Eagles last season and PFF rated him as the No. 58 overall guard out of 77 qualifying players, fyi.

He will be a pro bowler for us this year then.  Make it it happen Mac.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

I bet you the most die hard Patriot fans can’t name any Center who played for Brady who was considered any good anywhere else.

Plus I think Darnold is the type of talent that doesn’t need a dominant C(although that would be great).  As long as they can snap the ball to him cleanly and give him decent protection he will be fine just like we saw in the second half of last year. Osemele was a big get and despite what some say I do think we are addressing it in the draft 

The center doesn't normally have an assignment. 

He double teams when necessary. Picks up stunts. Chips a man when needed. Knows when to peel off. Cleans up blitzers and helps out anyone that needs it. Then he looks for second level blocks.

The most important thing for a center is that he knows what to do. This is what made Mangold such a great player. 

Very little time trying to decide what to do.

Well, that and being able to snap the ball cleanly. 

10 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

He double teams when necessary. Picks up stunts. Chips a man when needed. Knows when to peel off. Cleans up blitzers and helps out anyone that needs it. Then he looks for second level blocks.

The most important thing for a center is that he knows what to do. This is what made Mangold such a great player. 

You forgot to mention it's a plus if he is stout enough to not get utterly rag-dolled by Kris Jenkins.  Still on my list of all-time favorite plays in Jets history.

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We need a Center, badly.

This player can adequately fill that role.  At least for a wee while.

Pair this with a focus in the draft on O-Line prospects (especially at Center), and I'm happy.

I really want one of those top 3 Center prospects this year.  All look like they could compete to start in Week 1 after a strong summer in camp.  I'm just not sure that any of the three will be there when the Jets pick in Round 3.

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

jetex.gif.c811c3afffa88e878392bcaca5d7789f.gif

The sound is part of the magic.  The Phil Simms just says "whoa!".  Then stunned silence.

Note that Jenkins used his left hand to gob-smack that guy.  And another fun part is the RB(?) who somehow fails to notice the freight train barreling directly towards his QB.

[edit] found this:  https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/08/kris-jenkins-vs-chris-myers-the-knockdown-revisited/

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Macc,

I'm 6'2", 195 lbs and can definitely beat Rich Eisen in a race.  I also have strong intangibles and no red flags on my background check.  Best of all, I will play for vet minimum and you'll never see me at a bar after midnight during the season.  PM me.

He has game tape on you from the Florham Park flag football league years ago.

38 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The sound is part of the magic.  The Phil Simms just says "whoa!".  Then stunned silence.

Note that Jenkins used his left hand to gob-smack that guy.  And another fun part is the RB(?) who somehow fails to notice the freight train barreling directly towards his QB.

[edit] found this:  https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/08/kris-jenkins-vs-chris-myers-the-knockdown-revisited/

Think that RB is Steve SLaton from WVU. Didn't Jenkins also destroy a Center Guard combo to burts into the backfield and crush Slaton that game too?

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I really want one of those top 3 Center prospects this year.  All look like they could compete to start in Week 1 after a strong summer in camp.  I'm just not sure that any of the three will be there when the Jets pick in Round 3.

Yup.

Which is why you sign this guy.

If we win the Draft, GREAT!  No rush to bring the rookie on the field.

If not.....we still have a Professional Center who can play at at least an average level, better than what we've had since Mangold retired.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

We need to pair Darnold with a solid, longterm answer at Center.  I'm all for a veteran stopgap but Wisniewski would likely be a one-year plug and Darnold would move on to his third center in 3 years in 2020.  That's not a good way to support your young QB!

If the Jets see 3 or 4 quality, starting Center prospects in this Draft (and by most accounts there ARE several of these guys in the current Draft class) then they really need to ensure that they get one of them.  That will require trade back from the 1st round or a trade up from the 3rd IMO.

True. This happens to be a year when a lot of teams are scrapping for a center... Broncos, Chiefs, Vikings, Saints, Jets....

FREE AGENT
6599.jpg

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports the Jets are interested in free agent G/C Stefen Wisniewski.

Versatile on the interior, 30-year-old Wisniewski has reached the phase of his career where he is no longer a full-time starter. He would be a nice piece of depth for the Jets in the second wave of free agency. It is worth noting that neither RG Brian Winters nor C Jonotthan Harrison were effective for Gang Green last season.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The Center is the offense's box safety.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Is he even an upgrade over Harrison?  

For those who believe PFF stats are meaningful, Harrison was graded as the 30th best Center last season.  Below average.  The valid comparison should be against the last season Wisniewski played Center, which was 2015, when he graded 19th out of 39.  So yes.  He's an upgrade.  He's better at Center than Left Guard.  When the Eagle's signed him, they already had their Center.

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Wisniewksi is 29 born March of 1989 - drafted in 2011

Paradis is 29, born October of 1989 - drafted in 2014

Damn that's a serious discrepancy in NFL experience for guys only 7 months apart in age.

If it took Paradis 3 years longer to graduate college than it did Wisniewski, maybe the injury factor isn't the only reason they passed on him in FA? ?

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I try to be fair. I don’t just assume someone will make the same mistakes. Believe me I’ve criticized his mid round picks plenty. But I try to give him a chance

4 consecutive years of failure with regards to that can try someone's patience... imo he should have been fired along w/Bowles... To me this is a make or break draft for macc... if his mid round picks this year do zero like last yrs... he's gone... Hopefully.

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
FREE AGENT
6599.jpg

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports the Jets are interested in free agent G/C Stefen Wisniewski.

Versatile on the interior, 30-year-old Wisniewski has reached the phase of his career where he is no longer a full-time starter. He would be a nice piece of depth for the Jets in the second wave of free agency. It is worth noting that neither RG Brian Winters nor C Jonotthan Harrison were effective for Gang Green last season.

So there it is!

We have two guys, neither of whom were effective last year.  One of them, Jonotthan Harrison is the current starting Center on the Jets roster.  The Jets are now competing with other teams like the Redskins to upgrade our ineffective Center with a guy who is no longer a full-time starter in this "phase of his career."

Note:  Phases of career are Rookie, Quality Starter, No Longer Starter, Put Out to Pasture

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So there it is!

We have two guys, neither of whom were effective last year.  One of them, Jonotthan Harrison is the current starting Center on the Jets roster.  The Jets are now competing with other teams like the Redskins to upgrade our ineffective Center with a guy who is no longer a full-time starter in this "phase of his career."

Note:  Phases of career are Rookie, Quality Starter, No Longer Starter, Put Out to Pasture

So says Hughs... They are middle of the road that made to look worse because of how bad Carpenter was... You would hope that another year and the KO upgrade will change some things on that line no matter who else comes in.

Archived