OL Stefen Wisniewski will visit the Jets today

jetscrazey

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Ahhh optimism. We will see but Macc is still Macc and I don't buy that Bowles was the driving force behind the construction of past rosters.

No? Who do you think the inspiration for Darron Lee was? A LB to follow a LB in that same draft?  Safety 1st and 2nd rd?  You don't think those were, at bare minimum inspired by the HC and his needs to field his vaunted and exotic hybrid Defense? 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Joe Fields was an excellent center.  

He co-authored Nose-to-Nose with Klecko.

51j-nXbp2zL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Don't forget Jim Sweeney. We were truly blessed at that one position for 3 decades.

53 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

No? Who do you think the inspiration for Darron Lee was? A LB to follow a LB in that same draft?  Safety 1st and 2nd rd?  You don't think those were, at bare minimum inspired by the HC and his needs to field his vaunted and exotic hybrid Defense? 

Well you don't know that and can't say it for certain. It's merely your OPINION. Not a fact. Just as my not buying it is my opinion. The difference between you and I is I know the difference between fact and opinion. You don't.

34 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well you don't know that and can't say it for certain. It's merely your OPINION. Not a fact. Just as my not buying it is my opinion. The difference between you and I is I know the difference between fact and opinion. You don't.

I see.  That's the difference between you and I?   The fact that you think picking Darron Lee, the perfect fit for Bowles hybrid LB/safety guy wasn't to get Bowels a player that was taylor made for his defense. Got it. Facts and Fiction. 

What's more likely? Macc has some sort of obsession with defense? Or could it have been our offensive coordinator hating, defensive minded HC? Hmmmmmmmm 

5 hours ago, TheGoose said:

I like the idea of having veteran depth. Better than youngn’s

For some reason I think this way too regarding Olines. I'm all for developing Oline at any draft pick/UDFA but the trust factor goes up with more vets. It might be misguided, but it's how I view it as well.

11 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I see.  That's the difference between you and I?   The fact that you think picking Darron Lee, the perfect fit for Bowles hybrid LB/safety guy wasn't to get Bowels a player that was taylor made for his defense. Got it. Facts and Fiction. 

What's more likely? Macc has some sort of obsession with defense? Or could it have been our offensive coordinator hating, defensive minded HC? Hmmmmmmmm 

Lol. I see you're taking it personally. Sure it seems that way but unless you're in the room or have some inside info you can't say for sure. While Lee was a reach pick do you really believe soft spoken Todd Bowles was a master manipulator behind the scenes? Macc is just as much to blame for a roster as devoid of talent as this one was and should have been held accountable along with Bowles. Macc should have been let go when Bowles was. Blame Bowles for what he's responsible for and Macc gets a pass? He put the roster together right? Macc and his BPA bullsh*t in taking Leo and Adams falls on him too. Especially passing on Watson when a QB was desperately needed? No. It falls on Macc's shoulders too. That's all I'm saying.

18 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Hey bit. How is Wisniewski as a center?

this is a key question.. he played left guard for Philadelphia because Jason Kelce is awesome. but Wisniewski did play center for the first five years of his career, he's got experience there. 

For those old heads he's also the nephew of 8x Pro Bowl ex-Raider Steve. His dad Leo (nose tackle) also played a few years for the Colts in the early 80s as well.  

20 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Lol. I see you're taking it personally. Sure it seems that way but unless you're in the room or have some inside info you can't say for sure. While Lee was a reach pick do you really believe soft spoken Todd Bowles was a master manipulator behind the scenes? Macc is just as much to blame for a roster as devoid of talent as this one was and should have been held accountable along with Bowles. Macc should have been let go when Bowles was. Blame Bowles for what he's responsible for and Macc gets a pass? He put the roster together right? Macc and his BPA bullsh*t in taking Leo and Adams falls on him too. Especially passing on Watson when a QB was desperately needed? No. It falls on Macc's shoulders too. That's all I'm saying.

Who's taking anything personally?   If there's one thing I don't do it's take anything with the Jets personally.  I was responding to your introducing our personal differences. I was talking about the Jets player(s) and coaching etc. I'd say if anything was personal at all, it began with you. 

Your personal feelings and confusion of said subjects aside, I am not giving Macc a pass. I'm putting down the pitch fork and looking at the whole picture. Something many Macc haters, you included fail to do most of the time.  Macc was learning on the job. Something every single first time GM will have to do. He made terrible picks and idiotic mistakes. Being a director myself, I have to routinely evaluate recently promoted individuals in new roles. Whether or not they show progress and if they learn from mistakes. I also include specific environmental facts as well.  I look at the Jets operation as best I can from that vantage point. Hiring first time GM's and coaches comes with dumb mistakes. If you hire someone who has never done the job and then fire them for making mistakes, you will never build a solid org. That's a fact.  You evaluate the entirety of the process.  You don't blow  it up every 4 years and hire yet another unproven GM to cut his teeth in the same way as the last guy. You will more than likely experience the same rookie mistakes with the new guy.  Not smart and its why the Jets have sucked so much over the years. 

My point was that many of the players picked, Lee as the purest example, were attempts to get a terrible coach his players. A coach who had equal access to the owner as the GM I might add. If you cannot see that, then this "discussion" is over. Once again, Macc made some terrible picks and choices overall. I can include that in my overall thought process. But I can also see pretty clearly where there were attempts to get a coach specific types of players he wants to coach. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

this is a key question.. he played left guard for Philadelphia because Jason Kelce is awesome. but Wisniewski did play center for the first five years of his career, he's got experience there.  

He was a center in college as well. Then he goes to Philly and struggles as a guard. It sounds like he should return to his old position. :)

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

For those old heads he's also the nephew of 8x Pro Bowl ex-Raider Steve. His dad Leo (nose tackle) also played a few years for the Colts in the early 80s as well.  

Yes I remember his uncle. Very good player.

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Who's taking anything personally?   If there's one thing I don't do it's take anything with the Jets personally.  I was responding to your introducing our personal differences. I was talking about the Jets player(s) and coaching etc. I'd say if anything was personal at all, it began with you. 

Your personal feelings and confusion of said subjects aside, I am not giving Macc a pass. I'm putting down the pitch fork and looking at the whole picture. Something many Macc haters, you included fail to do most of the time.  Macc was learning on the job. Something every single first time GM will have to do. He made terrible picks and idiotic mistakes. Being a director myself, I have to routinely evaluate recently promoted individuals in new roles. Whether or not they show progress and if they learn from mistakes. I also include specific environmental facts as well.  I look at the Jets operation as best I can from that vantage point. Hiring first time GM's and coaches comes with dumb mistakes. If you hire someone who has never done the job and then fire them for making mistakes, you will never build a solid org. That's a fact.  You evaluate the entirety of the process.  You don't blow  it up every 4 years and hire yet another unproven GM to cut his teeth in the same way as the last guy. You will more than likely experience the same rookie mistakes with the new guy.  Not smart and its why the Jets have sucked so much over the years. 

My point was that many of the players picked, Lee as the purest example, were attempts to get a terrible coach his players. A coach who had equal access to the owner as the GM I might add. If you cannot see that, then this "discussion" is over. Once again, Macc made some terrible picks and choices overall. I can include that in my overall thought process. But I can also see pretty clearly where there were attempts to get a coach specific types of players he wants to coach. 

So Bowles was not learning on the job? He being a first time Coach and all? See it works both ways.

Yes thats what you do in business. You will never build a solid foundation if you blow it up. That being said do you keep a guy if he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again? Do you keep a guy if he ignores area's that need attention and cause your business to under perform or downright fail in that area? Do you give a guy 4 years to learn from those mistakes? The answer to all those questions is NO. Thats whats happening here with Macc supporters like you. You continue to make excuses for a man who has not made a draft pick that didn't fall into his lap. Every draft he has supervised aside from 3 guys has not given the Jets a lasting starter at ANY position. Sure You can Herndon in there if you want but his one season was good but lets see if he can sustain it. Hopefully he does. Any way you slice it Macc has done a piss-poor job so far and if He were working in the private sector at ANY company he would have been pink slipped long ago. A competent Executive would know that.

Once again MACC MADE THOSE PICKS. You admit they were bad picks yet you justify it by blaming Bowles. Macc is also responsible for those guys. They were picked on his watch. That's why both had to go and the Jets blew it by keeping Macc. They should have cleaned house based on the performance of the team with those guys in charge. Just because you didn't like Bowles(for whatever reason) and he was a horrible coach who was clearly not ready or able to be a competent HC doesn't give Macc a pass and shouldn't. What will you do I wonder if the Jets don't progress this season and fail to meet expectations? Will it be Gase fault? Will it be Sams? I'm sure you Macc-Lovers will come up with another scapegoat to protect your Boy. Hopefully The Johnsons will see through it and do what should have been done before the Season. Now this conversation is over.

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

So Bowles was not learning on the job? He being a first time Coach and all? See it works both ways.

Yes thats what you do in business. You will never build a solid foundation if you blow it up. That being said do you keep a guy if he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again? Do you keep a guy if he ignores area's that need attention and cause your business to under perform or downright fail in that area? Do you give a guy 4 years to learn from those mistakes? The answer to all those questions is NO. Thats whats happening here with Macc supporters like you. You continue to make excuses for a man who has not made a draft pick that didn't fall into his lap. Every draft he has supervised aside from 3 guys has not given the Jets a lasting starter at ANY position. Sure You can Herndon in there if you want but his one season was good but lets see if he can sustain it. Hopefully he does. Any way you slice it Macc has done a piss-poor job so far and if He were working in the private sector at ANY company he would have been pink slipped long ago. A competent Executive would know that.

Once again MACC MADE THOSE PICKS. You admit they were bad picks yet you justify it by blaming Bowles. Macc is also responsible for those guys. They were picked on his watch. That's why both had to go and the Jets blew it by keeping Macc. They should have cleaned house based on the performance of the team with those guys in charge. Just because you didn't like Bowles(for whatever reason) and he was a horrible coach who was clearly not ready or able to be a competent HC doesn't give Macc a pass and shouldn't. What will you do I wonder if the Jets don't progress this season and fail to meet expectations? Will it be Gase fault? Will it be Sams? I'm sure you Macc-Lovers will come up with another scapegoat to protect your Boy. Hopefully The Johnsons will see through it and do what should have been done before the Season. Now this conversation is over.

Ugh... I will explain something to you... again.  I'm not a Macc lover. I'm actually quite critical of him. I'm just not a torch wielding mo mo who can't see the overall picture. The truth is I saw plenty of reason for Macc to be let go. I would not have been upset, nor would I have argued too much about it. I may have entered into discussions concerning one idea or another but I would have seen the reasons for it and been ok. If he blows this draft, which he won't, I will lean more toward to opposite side as I stand now. One Major problem I had with letting him go was that no one could come up with a single option to replace him that made much sense. The number one reply was Heimerdinger to replace Macc which is just laughable to me. And I'm not saying I don't think he's an asset. Only it's not a good idea to promote the number two of the guy who is failing, if that's how it's seen. 

My point about Bowles having input, and why Macc most likely was not fired, is that CJ knows exactly how much influence Bowles had and which players were to get Bowles, or the OC of the month the guys they thought they needed to succeed.  There is a reason he wasn't let go and Bowles was. That said, I am fully aware Macc has made major flubs. Hack being the most glaring. The difference between Macc and Bowles is that Macc has shown many positives and progress. Bowles and his staff were clueless turds who got out coached almost every week. No player development, poor game planning and mgmt etc etc etc. 

I've debated this ad nauseam and admit I can see why people feel the way they do about him. I see progress. You point to Herndon.  That was a slam dunk 4th rd pick in his last draft. His last draft netted Darnold and Herndon who have obvious impact. What else is there is Nickerson, who I like a lot, Shepard who I love(I watched him every game and the stats don't tell the story) and Cannon who has all the potential to develop into a fine back. He shows so much potential. It's a solid draft. 

The year prior netted some good players too (adams, Maye, Legget, Jones) among some major failures . There is consistent progress though. I understand why people feel otherwise, but I like those players and feel like the coaching regime had zero in the ways of development or proper positioning. It was a joke. 

So... in summation, I do not LOVE Macc.  I simply don't agree with the blow ti up mentality when there is an upward trajectory in addition to a shortage in viable replacements. You can't see it. Cool. I do, because I'm smarter than you. lol   That was a joke. 

Let's watch and see.  I hope I'm right.  We will talk more of this I imagine. I promise not to gloat when things turn around. 

Hey... how are you feeling about the offseason so far? 

20 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

He can be a decent starter for a couple of years and give Jets a chance to draft and groom a future starter at C.

Sign him!

He can? Like he's not even a good guard and wasn't good at center when he played it in the NFL, but now he can be a decent starter...because?

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Ugh... I will explain something to you... again.  I'm not a Macc lover. I'm actually quite critical of him. I'm just not a torch wielding mo mo who can't see the overall picture. The truth is I saw plenty of reason for Macc to be let go. I would not have been upset, nor would I have argued too much about it. I may have entered into discussions concerning one idea or another but I would have seen the reasons for it and been ok. If he blows this draft, which he won't, I will lean more toward to opposite side as I stand now. One Major problem I had with letting him go was that no one could come up with a single option to replace him that made much sense. The number one reply was Heimerdinger to replace Macc which is just laughable to me. And I'm not saying I don't think he's an asset. Only it's not a good idea to promote the number two of the guy who is failing, if that's how it's seen. 

My point about Bowles having input, and why Macc most likely was not fired, is that CJ knows exactly how much influence Bowles had and which players were to get Bowles, or the OC of the month the guys they thought they needed to succeed.  There is a reason he wasn't let go and Bowles was. That said, I am fully aware Macc has made major flubs. Hack being the most glaring. The difference between Macc and Bowles is that Macc has shown many positives and progress. Bowles and his staff were clueless turds who got out coached almost every week. No player development, poor game planning and mgmt etc etc etc. 

I've debated this ad nauseam and admit I can see why people feel the way they do about him. I see progress. You point to Herndon.  That was a slam dunk 4th rd pick in his last draft. His last draft netted Darnold and Herndon who have obvious impact. What else is there is Nickerson, who I like a lot, Shepard who I love(I watched him every game and the stats don't tell the story) and Cannon who has all the potential to develop into a fine back. He shows so much potential. It's a solid draft. 

The year prior netted some good players too (adams, Maye, Legget, Jones) among some major failures . There is consistent progress though. I understand why people feel otherwise, but I like those players and feel like the coaching regime had zero in the ways of development or proper positioning. It was a joke. 

So... in summation, I do not LOVE Macc.  I simply don't agree with the blow ti up mentality when there is an upward trajectory in addition to a shortage in viable replacements. You can't see it. Cool. I do, because I'm smarter than you. lol   That was a joke. 

Let's watch and see.  I hope I'm right.  We will talk more of this I imagine. I promise not to gloat when things turn around. 

Hey... how are you feeling about the offseason so far?

To tell you the truth I didn't read your long winded post because it's mostly bullsh*t. I get it you don't want to blow it up but YOU fail to see the big picture. Macc has not performed well in his job yet you think he should keep it because it doesn't make sense to "blow it up". You want to keep him even though he has not had a winning season with his guys. Doesn't make sense. In the real world you don't get the job done you're gone. Macc has not gotten it done yet you want to keep the status quo. Doesn't sound to smart to me.  

This off-season is going okay. He wiffed on the OL as usual and didn't even make an offer to the top guys. The biggest need position on the team and Macc has ignored it or signed scrubs as usual. But let's not be critical of that or hold him accountable because we don't want to blow it up. Ridiculous.

4 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

To tell you the truth I didn't read your long winded post because it's mostly bullsh*t. I get it you don't want to blow it up but YOU fail to see the big picture. Macc has not performed well in his job yet you think he should keep it because it doesn't make sense to "blow it up". You want to keep him even though he has not had a winning season with his guys. Doesn't make sense. In the real world you don't get the job done you're gone. Macc has not gotten it done yet you want to keep the status quo. Doesn't sound to smart to me.  

This off-season is going okay. He wiffed on the OL as usual and didn't even make an offer to the top guys. The biggest need position on the team and Macc has ignored it or signed scrubs as usual. But let's not be critical of that or hold him accountable because we don't want to blow it up. Ridiculous.

cool 

13 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

He can? Like he's not even a good guard and wasn't good at center when he played it in the NFL, but now he can be a decent starter...because?

He’s not the answer at starting C. But he is a good backup player because of his versatility and experience. Hopefully he is not forced to play but if he is, we could do a lot worse.

Unfortunately, not only did we need a starting LG and C, we also needed two backup iOL and a OT. And this doesn’t even include a future LT which we need. 

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

He’s not the answer at starting C. But he is a good backup player because of his versatility and experience. Hopefully he is not forced to play but if he is, we could do a lot worse.

Unfortunately, not only did we need a starting LG and C, we also needed two backup iOL and a OT. And this doesn’t even include a future LT which we need. 

Well we got that done

The wording on this is very interesting. Remember when Matt Paradis visited and the Jets held off on an offer, because of Bell? I wonder if the Jets are delaying this because of Justin Houston? IMO, this is not good policy but it does show that Macc does not value the OL in terms of getting talent to play there. That may be complete folly 

Archived