Jump to content
DMan77

Two Tight Ends

Recommended Posts

I'm reading up a little on the offenses Gase tried to utilize in Miami, Denver, and Chicago, and he used the two-tight-end set quite a bit... They were targeted a lot, and not just in the red zone. 

And last season Miami drafted 2 new ones... Although the offense never really developed around those TEs, I think it might show the kind of personal Gase is looking for.

I think a lot of us are looking at the WR position (not incorrectly) and thinking we need another piece there, but I'm starting think the Jets might look at the TE spot first even though it might not turn up on the "biggest needs" list... Herndon has been a pleasant surprise, but based on some of Gase's history it wouldn't shock me if he'd rather have two solid pass catching TEs first and foremost.

Couple guys in the mid-rounds to keep an eye on:

Noah Fant,

Irv Smith Jr,

Caleb Wilson,

Josh Oliver

Alize Mack, 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of teams utilize two TE sets.  It gives the qb extra blockers and an additional safety valve the Patriots have been running 2TE for years

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neal Sterling is still an option if he's been cleared to play. 

Feel bad for the kid suffering the season ending concussions. 

I thought he would have been something special for the NY Jets. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nycdan said:

I thought this would be about something else and was ready to move it to the lounge.  

So disappointing...

Q: Are we allowed to post hot chicks that aren't nude? (but close)

A: ?

I had a very amateur cartoon shot of a someone sh*tting the bed, and the wife with nipples (i guess?) reacting to said excrement. I was informed that was ban worthy. #Confused

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sterling is a never was who had one good preseason game

 

jets need TE depth especially with Herndon getting a suspension coming up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Neal Sterling is still an option if he's been cleared to play. 

Feel bad for the kid suffering the season ending concussions. 

I thought he would have been something special for the NY Jets. 

So many players have potential but their bodies don’t let them reach it. Shame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I'm reading up a little on the offenses Gase tried to utilize in Miami, Denver, and Chicago, and he used the two-tight-end set quite a bit... They were targeted a lot, and not just in the red zone. 

Couple guys in the mid-rounds to keep an eye on:

Noah Fant,

Irv Smith Jr,

Caleb Wilson,

Josh Oliver

Alize Mack, 

 

 

he does run a lot of 12 personnel, and i'm excited to see where goes with that. The first two names on your list have about as much of a chance making out of rnds 1-2 as Kyler Murray does... but Josh Oliver is a name to remember. Caleb is a bust, but keep an eye on Keenen Brown from TXST 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paradis said:

Q: Are we allowed to post hot chicks that aren't nude? (but close)

A: ?

I had a very amateur cartoon shot of a someone sh*tting the bed, and the wife with nipples (i guess?) reacting to said excrement. I was informed that was ban worthy. #Confused

I think that was based on the fact that we have enough nausea-inducing content here in general :)

Hot chicks yes, but at some point, they probably need to go into a different part of the site, not the main forum.  This should remain family-friendly.  I'd say 'use your judgment' but somehow that doesn't often seem to work in this place.  So try asking yourself...WWMD.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

So many players have potential but their bodies don’t let them reach it. Shame. 

Bowles played him on kickoff team thats what got him hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Neal Sterling is still an option if he's been cleared to play. 

Feel bad for the kid suffering the season ending concussions. 

I thought he would have been something special for the NY Jets. 

I forgot about this guy.  I like what I saw from him and it was more than one game.  Id like to see him in the mix to possibly make the team.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think that was based on the fact that we have enough nausea-inducing content here in general :)

Hot chicks yes, but at some point, they probably need to go into a different part of the site, not the main forum.  This should remain family-friendly.  I'd say 'use your judgment' but somehow that doesn't often seem to work in this place.  So try asking yourself...WWMD.

M? You mean like Max?   if I asked myself what Max would do, the answer would always be "Eat another burger!"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I'm reading up a little on the offenses Gase tried to utilize in Miami, Denver, and Chicago, and he used the two-tight-end set quite a bit... They were targeted a lot, and not just in the red zone. 

And last season Miami drafted 2 new ones... Although the offense never really developed around those TEs, I think it might show the kind of personal Gase is looking for.

I think a lot of us are looking at the WR position (not incorrectly) and thinking we need another piece there, but I'm starting think the Jets might look at the TE spot first even though it might not turn up on the "biggest needs" list... Herndon has been a pleasant surprise, but based on some of Gase's history it wouldn't shock me if he'd rather have two solid pass catching TEs first and foremost.

Couple guys in the mid-rounds to keep an eye on:

Noah Fant,

Irv Smith Jr,

Caleb Wilson,

Josh Oliver

Alize Mack, 

 

 

Zero chance Fant makes it to the third round. Some “experts” have him going top 10/15 and Smith will be gone as well. With the way TEs are producing latey in the new NFL I wouldn’t be surprised if 5 go in the first two rounds. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like D.Fells as a target for the Jets. A guy that is mainly a blocker but athletic and has decent hands. Would be great to pair with Herndon. Wouldn;t cost that much. 

I'd prefer a FA addition than to use up a draft pick on a guy. There's also Leggett, who I think the Jets should give another chance to earn that #2 TE spot. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Q: Are we allowed to post hot chicks that aren't nude? (but close)

A: ?

I had a very amateur cartoon shot of a someone sh*tting the bed, and the wife with nipples (i guess?) reacting to said excrement. I was informed that was ban worthy. #Confused

The nude chick pics send to me for preapproval and send the sh*t pics to @Klecko73isGod . He’s into that. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I like D.Fells as a target for the Jets. A guy that is mainly a blocker but athletic and has decent hands. Would be great to pair with Herndon. Wouldn;t cost that much. 

I'd prefer a FA addition than to use up a draft pick on a guy. There's also Leggett, who I think the Jets should give another chance to earn that #2 TE spot. 

Sefarian Jenkins or Jared Cook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping the Jets would grab a TE in free agency. Maybe they still will once some time passes and prices drop. I'd bring back ASJ at the right price, provided he didn't become Blake Bortles' drinking buddy during his time in Jax. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dupe said:

I forgot about this guy.  I like what I saw from him and it was more than one game.  Id like to see him in the mix to possibly make the team.  

It was probably just one game.  He's had more than 50 yards receiving once in his career. Sterling has shown some promise as a tweener WR/TE, but the concussion issues are concerning and he is not currently signed.  He  came out in 2015 and was original round tendered last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gase could use Enunwa in a semi TE role, when he broke out. Remember he provided blocking assistance and played the Slot as well.

 

I would use him interchangeably, could work again...

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Noah Fant,

This dude might go top 15.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also hopefully Gase has truly learned from Peyton Manning, and if he really wants a 2 TE look the Jets can accomplish that by using Q in the Dallas Clark role, and Herndon in the traditional TE position obviously he will need to improve as a blocker.  I’d really hate to waste a valuable asset in the draft on a TE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lupz27 said:

Also hopefully Gase has truly learned from Peyton Manning, and if he really wants a 2 TE look the Jets can accomplish that by using Q in the Dallas Clark role, and Herndon in the traditional TE position obviously he will need to improve as a blocker.  I’d really hate to waste a valuable asset in the draft on a TE.

Enunwa cannot block in line he’ll get injured in 2 seconds

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I like D.Fells as a target for the Jets. A guy that is mainly a blocker but athletic and has decent hands. Would be great to pair with Herndon. Wouldn;t cost that much. 

I'd prefer a FA addition than to use up a draft pick on a guy. There's also Leggett, who I think the Jets should give another chance to earn that #2 TE spot. 

Fells signed with someone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This dude might go top 15.

Ya true, probably should have left him off that list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jace Sternberger would be a nice mid round tight end to add. 

Kaden Smith would be a limited but all around solid tight end.

Dawson Knox is a raw athletic tight end with limited production.

All could be there in the 3rd, except for Sternberger, who was getting a little draft buzz after the combine.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO Chris Herndon will definitely be an important part of the offense moving forward...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noah Fant is a pipedream for the Jets. He will certainly go in the first round, too rich for our blood.  Irv Smith will be drafted above his talent and future production level, and is not a good fit for the Jets.  Strictly a mid range, pass catching tight end,  Chris Herndon does that at a much higher level. 

Stanford's Kaden Smith is a much better prospect in my opinion, and may be in a draft able position for the Jets. Has better size, and is more of a fit as a good TE #2,  Caleb Wilson is smallish, and primarily a pass catcher, the Jets need someone who can block.

Mack and Oliver are similar in size, speed and stature, with Oliver the more prolific pass catcher. Projected to be similar type  players  at the next level, Oliver is projected to be drafted higher, for what it's worth.

All things being equal,  I'd love Kaden Smith to be a future member of the New York Jets, if they can get him with the second #3 or our 4th round pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

the Jets need someone who can block..

I don’t think anyone would say - no, i want a TE who can’t block please.... However I disagree that we need one who can. That role will be largely played by Herndon. We’re looking ideally for the flex TE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don’t think anyone would say - no, i want a TE who can’t block please.... However I disagree that we need one who can. That role will be largely played by Herndon. We’re looking ideally for the flex TE. 

Preferably  you want one who can do both.  While the scheme will be different, you need a replacement for Tomlinson, at least in some sets, and the lack of a fullback further illustrates that need. Dozier was used some in the backfield the last few years in a blocking capacity and is now gone.  The Jets were woeful around an at the goal line last year, and I'd like to see that change. The lack of a fullback will call for two tight end formations, we need another tight  end who can block, as well as catch.  Size at that position is important.  Smith fills both needs.

 

45 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

This thread has so much potential 

47D2E0E8-2C1D-4E87-8F13-2ADDC16DC5A2.png

These two tight ends will not be available in the drafting slot the Jets have dedicated to fill this need, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Fells signed with someone 

NFL%20178x142%20LightGrey.jpg
DARREN FELLSTE, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
8472.jpg

The Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports free agent TE Darren Fells is visiting the Texans.

The Texans seem to be in the market for a blocking tight end after hosting former OT Jake Fisher last week. 33 in April, Fells spent last season with the Browns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Preferably  you want one who can do both.  While the scheme will be different, you need a replacement for Tomlinson, at least in some sets, and the lack of a fullback further illustrates that need. Dozier was used some in the backfield the last few years in a blocking capacity and is now gone.  The Jets were woeful around an at the goal line last year, and I'd like to see that change. The lack of a fullback will call for two tight end formations, we need another tight  end who can block, as well as catch.  Size at that position is important.

 

These two tight ends will not be available in the drafting slot the Jets have dedicated to fill this need, unfortunately.

I don’t disagree with your logic, but you said we need a tight end who can block. We don’t. Herndon’s gonna be playing the Y tight end when down and distance count. We need a true F type, ala Engram/Hernandez... Doesn’t mean we don’t need a JAG blocker for depth, but the way you represented the situation wasn’t accurate IMO

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...