Mehta: The massive roster hole Jets whiffed on in free agency

JetsMetsDevilsPA

The massive roster hole Jets whiffed on in free agency

Manish Mehta
MAR 18, 2019 | 11:15 AM

The Jets believe they landed a few impactful free agents during the initial frenzy last week, but it’s undeniable that there is one giant hole in the middle of their re-tooled offense.

Adam Gase is staring at a donut. And not the tasty kind with sprinkles, either.

For all of Sam Darnold’s promise and Le’Veon Bell’s greatness, Gang Green still needs an anchor for their offensive line.

What exactly are these guys doing at center?

The Jets began free agency with a mountain of salary cap space to burn, but failed to address a massive need that could have been solved in free agency.

There’s no reason to sugarcoat it: General manager Mike Maccagnan & Co. whiffed.

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan.
Jets GM Mike Maccagnan. (Michael Conroy / AP)

I’ve heaped plenty of praise on the Jets’ ability to secure the single best player in this free agency class, a perennial Pro Bowl linebacker in his prime in C.J. Mosley (even though they clearly overpaid for a two-down linebacker who isn’t effective in coverage) and a sneaky-good slot receiver in Jamison Crowder. Maccagnan’s buy-low trade for Pro Bowl guard Kelechi Osemele absolutely should be lauded as well.

However, it’s inexcusable not to properly address the center position given that it could have been easily rectified last week. The Jets, in fact, never even made an offer for the top two centers on the market, according to sources. They currently have $35.46 million in remaining salary cap space, so that’s not an issue.

The Jets had discussions with Mitch Morse’s and Matt Paradis’ respective camps, but didn’t fork over a concrete deal to accept. Gang Green liked Morse, but never really had a chance to land him for myriad reasons.

The Bills, frankly, were much more aggressive in their pursuit of the former Chiefs center. Morse quickly agreed to a four-year, $44.5 million deal with Buffalo that included $20.4 million guaranteed at signing. The first-year cash: $19.5 million. Morse will earn $28.375 million in cash through two years. He’ll have a $10.9 million salary cap charge in 2019.

My understanding is that the Jets’ ceiling was the $10 million per season neighborhood, but they weren’t nearly as aggressive as their AFC East rivals to land him. The Jets never believed that they had a real chance to get him. They didn’t exactly have a sense of urgency for some reason.

Paradis, rehabbing from a fractured fibula suffered in November with the Broncos, ultimately agreed to a three-year, $27 million deal with Carolina that included a $9 million signing bonus. The Jets had talks with his camp, but there was some concern inside the building about his health and availability this offseason. John Elway expressed similar concerns last week. Paradis played 3,850 consecutive snaps before getting hurt. He’ll carry a $3.86 million cap charge this season.

Le'Veon Bell was a tremendous get, but the Jets still need more at center.
Le'Veon Bell was a tremendous get, but the Jets still need more at center. (Gene J. Puskar / AP)

The Jets agreed to a two-year deal with Jonotthan Harrison, who started the final seven games at center last season after replacing an injured and ineffective Spencer Long. The team’s thought process: Harrison might be able to compete for a starting job (if they whiffed on Morse and Paradis), but the preference on One Jets Drive was that he’d be a valuable, versatile backup with the ability to help at center and guard. (There’s an easy escape hatch after 2019 if they wanted to move on from him).

After missing on Morse and Paradis, the Jets started kicking the tires late last week on available veteran linemen to gauge the market value for these guys, according to sources.

There are some quality options in the draft like North Carolina’s Garrett Bradbury, Texas A&M’s Erik McCoy and Mississippi State’s Elgton Jenkins, but at least one of those guys will be gone in the second round. And in case you missed it, the Jets currently don’t have a second-round pick.

Could Maccagnan draft a center with one of their two third-rounders? Possibly.

The bottom line is that a good center is invaluable for a young quarterback. One year after the Jets erred by signing Long in free agency, they didn’t have a sense of urgency to land one of the top two centers in free agency. It’s puzzling.

The Jets wanted to give Sam Darnold a better supporting cast in his second season, but they’re still missing the guy who will give their franchise quarterback the ball on every single play.

Manish laid it out well.  That's exactly where the Jets are.  The question remains....what is the Jets plan at Center and WHY do they believe in a plan that does not include pushing for one of the top 2 Centers in FA (Morse, Paradis)?  I have to believe/hope they have a reason.  Carolina paid Paradis $9M per year....he obviously wasn't worth that to the Jets.  The Jets backed up the Brinks truck to an Inside Linebacker to serve as the young leader of their defense.  But do they not see a similar need on offense or did they just think that both Morse and Paradis were getting overpaid.

I think the biggest concern of Jets fans isn't that Macc passed on those two guys but that he won't value Center importantly in the Draft either.  If we knew that the Jets plan included getting back into Round 2 and getting one of the Top 3 Centers then we might be more comfortable.

It's difficult to see right now BUT if the Jets go into Week 1 with Elgton Jenkins, Stefen Wisniewski (on a 1 year deal) and Jonotthan Harrison then we'd all exhale and relax.  Getting the next great Center for the Jets should be a priority.  We need our next Mawae / Mangold.

2 minutes ago, derp said:

Manish has seemed like a fluff guy lately and a mouthpiece for the FO. This feels like a “negative” piece right before they address this massive hole and sign Wisniewski.

But signing Wisniewski is like putting duct tape on a bumper falling off a car.  Yeah, you can probably drive home with it but the bumper will rattle and it will only be a matter of time before it falls off again.

27 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I’ve heaped plenty of praise on the Jets’ ability to secure the single best player in this free agency class, a perennial Pro Bowl linebacker in his prime in C.J. Mosley (even though they clearly overpaid for a two-down linebacker who isn’t effective in coverage)

How can a 2-down LB who isn't good in coverage be the best player in the FA class?

And if he truly was, that's even more evidence to suggest you never, ever, rely on a heap of cash to build a roster in one free agency period.

The hysteria around not finding a Center is totally overblown at this point.   Harrison is fine if all else falls and there is still the draft and other vets still out there.  Teams find Centers every single year in the draft.  It's not that challenging of a position to fill.  Jets fans have just been spoiled with Mawae and then Mangold.  I've never seen a fanbase so worried about a Center in my life.  Edge rusher and CB were/are bigger needs and the Jets really didnt do anything in those areas at all.  At least they resigned Harrison, who Sam was playing his best ball behind down the stretch last year.

19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Manish laid it out well.  That's exactly where the Jets are.  The question remains....what is the Jets plan at Center and WHY do they believe in a plan that does not include pushing for one of the top 2 Centers in FA (Morse, Paradis)?  I have to believe/hope they have a reason.  Carolina paid Paradis $9M per year....he obviously wasn't worth that to the Jets.  The Jets backed up the Brinks truck to an Inside Linebacker to serve as the young leader of their defense.  But do they not see a similar need on offense or did they just think that both Morse and Paradis were getting overpaid.

I think the biggest concern of Jets fans isn't that Macc passed on those two guys but that he won't value Center importantly in the Draft either.  If we knew that the Jets plan included getting back into Round 2 and getting one of the Top 3 Centers then we might be more comfortable.

It's difficult to see right now BUT if the Jets go into Week 1 with Elgton Jenkins, Stefen Wisniewski (on a 1 year deal) and Jonotthan Harrison then we'd all exhale and relax.  Getting the next great Center for the Jets should be a priority.  We need our next Mawae / Mangold.

I don't want to give Mac too much credit but he must believe he has a plan that's a better option than either of the top 2 FA centers given how much cap space they have. It's not like either of those guys are great players btw.

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't want to give Mac too much credit but he must believe he has a plan that's a better option than either of the top 2 FA centers given how much cap space they have. It's not like either of those guys are great players btw.

That's the thing....they really could have afforded either guy and "checked the box" at Center.  But maybe Macc saw a potential repeat of last year when he signed Spencer Long.  If he truly has a plan to both sign a stopgap like Wisniewski for cheap AND get the Jets' Center of the future in this upcoming Draft then I'd be thrilled.  Get me a Jenkins or Bradbury in Round 2 and I'd be psyched.  But first Macc needs to get into Round 2.

I agree... I thought we would sign a center sometime in this last week or so... But instead the Jets have been sort of eerily quiet... I don't know if maybe they thought the market would shake out differently, or if they have something up their sleeves... But man, they need someone competent on that line, and fast... 

From Peter Kings FMIA:

Leveon Bell to the Jets:

I like the signing by the Jets, because I don’t think a man who was the best all-around back in football at 25 and who sat out the season at 26 and returns to football at 27 will be hurt much by sitting. In fact, he might be better for the lack of hits last year. Two things I worry about with Bell.

One: Pittsburgh had a top-five offensive line. The Jets have a poor offensive line, and failed at one of the most important offseason jobs GM Mike Maccagnan had. He got neither of the top two free-agent centers—Mitch Morse, who signed with Buffalo, or Matt Paradis, who signed with Carolina. The Jets did improve the line with a deal for a former star guard, Kelechi Osemele, who needs to return to his Baltimore form, but it’s an average unit at best.

Two: Without the kind of receiving weapons he benefited from in Pittsburgh, will foes load the box to stop Bell and risk less coverage on outside receivers?

The lack of a move at the team's biggest hole, given they had no one to play it, is definitely very deserving of the criticism.  Because even those potential alternatives that have been thrown out there about this are both extraordinarily bad ideas.

1.  When citing the re-signing of Harrison as a potential option, while it's good to bring him back as depth, and maybe even let him have a crack at the job, there is absolutely no reason to rely on him as filling a need.  That is exactly the same kind of mind-numbingly stupid decision-making that Maccagnan used just 2 years ago when handing Wesley Johnson the job after a few decent games to wrap up the prior season.  Even if there's the chance this one can work out better, you certainly shouldn't be dependent on that being the case, and need to have a backup plan in place.

2.  Many think it's a position that should be addressed in the draft, which theoretically isn't a bad idea, but going into the draft with a position that you have to address, specifically as a day-one starter, is idiotic and something that no competent GM will ever do.  It's impossible to know how the draft will fall, and being obsessed with one particular need is exactly how teams end up massively reaching on players who don't deserve to be, out of nothing but fear.  That's the kind of idiotic thinking that made Hackenberg a second rounder.  Not only that, even if they are able to get a guy they wanted at the position, relying on a mid-round pick who hasn't even had a single practice in the NFL to be guaranteed as ready to start from the beginning of his rookie year is always a terrible idea.

What makes both of these ideas even worse is that all it takes is an injury to make both really bad plans be an absolute disaster for the team.  There's a reason teams are allowed to carry 90 players on their roster this time of the year, as you get to have more than you'll ever actually need on opening day.  The Jets need to have a backup plan in place, and they need it now.

37 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How many times have a said it? Mac does not value offensive line anywhere near almost every other gm in league. Securing the OL is as important to him as finding a solid place kicker 

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

The hysteria around not finding a Center is totally overblown at this point. 

this. 

also. ithink i remember i heard jonah also plays/played/could play center?

did i remember correctly? ( this doesnt mean I necesaarily endorse that idea...)

43 minutes ago, JiF said:

The hysteria around not finding a Center is totally overblown at this point.   Harrison is fine if all else falls and there is still the draft and other vets still out there.  Teams find Centers every single year in the draft.  It's not that challenging of a position to fill.  Jets fans have just been spoiled with Mawae and then Mangold.  I've never seen a fanbase so worried about a Center in my life.  Edge rusher and CB were/are bigger needs and the Jets really didnt do anything in those areas at all.  At least they resigned Harrison, who Sam was playing his best ball behind down the stretch last year.

Is it though? Isn't this basically the same route they took with Wesley Johnson? Thought he was capable and then yeah, didn't exactly turn out so great. 

55 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's plain and simple, they were mildly interested in morse.. less so than manish states, but the concussion issue was worrisome and word around was that he was getting a big deal which they didnt want to give to a player with that type of injury history (concussions for lineman are tricky, they bang heads every play so it can escalate quickly).  

Paradis it was again durability concerns and how he was healing from the leg.  They werent comfortable with a multi year deal on him.  Make no bones about it the jets want to lock up a center long term to have in front of darnold as he grows.  They want consistency, which is why, and ive said this on here before i believe: If they were not happy with the centers in FA they would be perfectly comfortable riding out the FA period and then going into the draft to grab a center.  That is what i fully expect them to do. Now if I'm wrong and they go into the year with harrison, ill complain it was a bad job, but as of right now I see them drafting a center so that who ever it is has years on their contract to grow with darnold.  

13 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Is it though? Isn't this basically the same route they took with Wesley Johnson? Thought he was capable and then yeah, didn't exactly turn out so great. 

Yes, I believe it is.  It's March and they apparently have a vet visiting and the draft is still yet to come.  And I dont think Harrison vs. Johnson is necessarily a fair comparison.   Johnson truly filled in for a couple of games for Mangold. Whereas, Harrison started over 20 games as a Colt prior to signing with the Jets.  I dont think this is nearly the same leap of faith they showed with Johnson.

They missed out on 2 mediocre players, 1 coming off brutals injuries.  The dramatics are a bit much. 

13 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

It's plain and simple, they were mildly interested in morse.. less so than manish states, but the concussion issue was worrisome and word around was that he was getting a big deal which they didnt want to give to a player with that type of injury history (concussions for lineman are tricky, they bang heads every play so it can escalate quickly).  

Paradis it was again durability concerns and how he was healing from the leg.  They werent comfortable with a multi year deal on him.  Make no bones about it the jets want to lock up a center long term to have in front of darnold as he grows.  They want consistency, which is why, and ive said this on here before i believe: If they were not happy with the centers in FA they would be perfectly comfortable riding out the FA period and then going into the draft to grab a center.  That is what i fully expect them to do. Now if I'm wrong and they go into the year with harrison, ill complain it was a bad job, but as of right now I see them drafting a center so that who ever it is has years on their contract to grow with darnold.  

That's a great plan.  But it's also like saying, "we'll just find our WR1 in the Draft....no problem."  As you know the Draft has multiple risks...

1. Will the guy you want be available when you pick?

2. Will you (Macc) even pick the right guy?

3. Will the player match expectations (becoming a solid longterm starter at Center)?

I love the plan....but it's just a plan until there's a body wearing a Jets uniform snapping the ball.

Mac has targeted a center from this draft to go along with a vet for depth purposes. Mac will draft one of the top centers on his draft board in one of two ways:

- Trading down from the 3rd overall pick to acquire draft capital which will be used to land a center they want in either the lower half of round 1 or the upper half of round 2. 

- Trading a package that consist of 2019 and/or 2020 draft capital to land a center they want in either the lower half of round 1 or the upper half of round 2.

It's a gamble for sure, but so wasn't landing Darnold a year ago. 

40 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

From Peter Kings FMIA:

Leveon Bell to the Jets:

I like the signing by the Jets, because I don’t think a man who was the best all-around back in football at 25 and who sat out the season at 26 and returns to football at 27 will be hurt much by sitting. In fact, he might be better for the lack of hits last year. Two things I worry about with Bell.

One: Pittsburgh had a top-five offensive line. The Jets have a poor offensive line, and failed at one of the most important offseason jobs GM Mike Maccagnan had. He got neither of the top two free-agent centers—Mitch Morse, who signed with Buffalo, or Matt Paradis, who signed with Carolina. The Jets did improve the line with a deal for a former star guard, Kelechi Osemele, who needs to return to his Baltimore form, but it’s an average unit at best.

Two: Without the kind of receiving weapons he benefited from in Pittsburgh, will foes load the box to stop Bell and risk less coverage on outside receivers?

Number One is a legitimate concern and it's one we all have.  I think Number Two will be less of problem.  Not just because of the addition of Crowder but also a few other things...an improved 2nd year QB (Darnold), a talented 2nd year TE (Herndon), a healthy Enunwa (hopefully), and motivated Robby Anderson in a contract year, etc.

I think the passing game will be okay.  And don't forget Peter, you can load the box against the run and Le'Veon Bell gets split out wide as a WR.  Bell will be a huge part of the passing game.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The hysteria around not finding a Center is totally overblown at this point.   

No it isn’t. 

Did you sleep through 2018, the season of the Long?... that’s what happens When you try and get cute. There is zero reason why we couldn’t of signed one of the better centers. We had a ton of money, but lacked the balls

the Jets offseason so far is hovering around 50% at the moment. Couple of big moves. And some serious whiffs. 

0% chance of this happening but wouldn't it be interesting if the Jets traded back to somewhere like 7, 8, 9, etc. and got a pick in the late 1st or early 2nd.  They draft LT Jawaan Taylor and C Elgton Jenkins.  It becomes a repeat of the Ferguson / Mangold draft and sets up the line for the next decade.

54 minutes ago, derp said:

Manish has seemed like a fluff guy lately and a mouthpiece for the FO. This feels like a “negative” piece right before they address this massive hole and sign Wisniewski.

I thought that perhaps someone had hacked Manish's account. Non typical article by him.

There were only 2 centers available who were worth anything. Morse was overwhelmed by the Bills offer. That left Paradis. Interesting that John Elway came out and said they did NOT pursue him because of concerns about his ankle. They don't think it would hold up. Found this interesting.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Paradis has major injury concerns that apparently bothered a number of teams. 

Morse would have been a really nice get. 

I’m assuming that they are drafting a center. I also think Harrison is serveiceable. 

That one word perfectly describes maccagnans thoughts on the offensive line.

Archived