Mehta: The massive roster hole Jets whiffed on in free agency

JetsMetsDevilsPA

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Paradis has major injury concerns that apparently bothered a number of teams. 

Morse would have been a really nice get. 

I’m assuming that they are drafting a center. I also think Harrison is serveiceable. 

I think we can bank on it.

30 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

It's plain and simple, they were mildly interested in morse.. less so than manish states, but the concussion issue was worrisome and word around was that he was getting a big deal which they didnt want to give to a player with that type of injury history (concussions for lineman are tricky, they bang heads every play so it can escalate quickly).  

Paradis it was again durability concerns and how he was healing from the leg.  They werent comfortable with a multi year deal on him.  Make no bones about it the jets want to lock up a center long term to have in front of darnold as he grows.  They want consistency, which is why, and ive said this on here before i believe: If they were not happy with the centers in FA they would be perfectly comfortable riding out the FA period and then going into the draft to grab a center.  That is what i fully expect them to do. Now if I'm wrong and they go into the year with harrison, ill complain it was a bad job, but as of right now I see them drafting a center so that who ever it is has years on their contract to grow with darnold.  

Going into the draft with a hole that you put yourself in the position to desperately fill with a day one starter is idiotic, regardless of the excuses to be made for it.  I have no problem with them hoping to fill the position with a long-term starter in the draft, but they need to have a backup plan in place first, because there are way too many ways that plan can come back to blow up in your face.

Mac does not deserve the benefit of the doubt because of his record with the OL but still some centers out there, then there is the draft.  if we are at this stage after the draft then rip him.

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

No it isn’t. 

Did you sleep through 2018, the season of the Long?... that’s what happens When you try and get cute. There is zero reason why we couldn’t of signed one of the better centers. We had a ton of money, but lacked the balls

the Jets offseason so far is hovering around 50% at the moment. Couple of big moves. And some serious whiffs. 

Yes it is.  

I was wide awake for 2018.  I saw Harrison step in at C and suddenly the line play their best ball.  Consequently, so did Sam.

Everyone is up in arms about not signing 2 players who are average to slightly above average at best and one is coming off brutal injuries. 

It's March.  Plenty of time to address a very easy to fill position.  It's not end of the world because the Jets missed on Morse and Paradis.  

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes it is.  

I was wide awake for 2018.  I saw Harrison step in at C and suddenly the line play their best ball.  Consequently, so did Sam.

Everyone is up in arms about not signing 2 players who are average to slightly above average at best and one is coming off brutal injuries. 

It's March.  Plenty of time to address a very easy to fill position.  It's not end of the world because the Jets missed on Morse and Paradis.  

Harrison stunk in the running game. All he did was not send the ball flying over Sam’s head. I think you’re confusing not being in total dissaray, with “good ball”  

so yea I think it is bush that we couldn’t sign a center. We made time for fcking Crowder? A dime a dozen slot WR, but couldn’t get an offer out to Morse? 

Bush 

thats just my perspective  

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes it is.  

I'm not overly worked up about those players in particular, but just the overall idiotic concept of going into the draft with a hole on your roster that you're planning on addressing then, which no competent GM does, yet still seems to be the overwhelming belief of the supposed current "plan".

Bottom line, I have no faith in Maccagnan, and would anyone really be all that surprised if he ultimately does nothing of significance and the Jets find themselves watching Wesley Johnson Part Deux this season?  Or he ends up drafting a guy with a 6th round grade in the third because he's scared and all those with talent came off the board before they were on the clock?

2 hours ago, JiF said:

The hysteria around not finding a Center is totally overblown at this point.   Harrison is fine if all else falls and there is still the draft and other vets still out there.  Teams find Centers every single year in the draft.  It's not that challenging of a position to fill.  Jets fans have just been spoiled with Mawae and then Mangold.  I've never seen a fanbase so worried about a Center in my life.  Edge rusher and CB were/are bigger needs and the Jets really didnt do anything in those areas at all.  At least they resigned Harrison, who Sam was playing his best ball behind down the stretch last year.

Only Center available was Morse and unfortunately other teams go after these guys. Pardise has to many injuries and is not worth having. We get a FA C and draft one in the 3rd round and that would have to be the best we can do with our new LG helping the C since very good blocking guards can do that. 

Another Bitch Fest.  What a surprise.  There were two quality free agent centers available this year.  At least one of them is widely perceived to be damaged goods. His former team offered him a luke warm one year deal.  The other has issues as well, including a concussion.  Despite that a team made him the highest paid center in the league.

Last year the Jets gave a generous free agent contract to Spencer Long.  Remember him?  At the time no one called it a bad contract.  I checked. It was lauded as a good signing.  Fast forward six months, and the whole Jet universe was ripping the deal and the man who offered it. Now, that same universe is having conniptions over our failure to possibly commit to a similar folly. In March.  

We have a capable option in house.  They will draft a center.  They will also do due diligence to upgrade the position, if at all possible. You can't invent players or construct them from whole cloth.  You deal with the options available to you.  That's life.  And football.

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Harrison stunk in the running game. All he did was not send the ball flying over Sam’s head. I think you’re confusing not being in total dissaray, with “good ball”  

so yea I think it is bush that we couldn’t sign a center. We made time for fcking Crowder? A dime a dozen slot WR, but couldn’t get an offer out to Morse? 

Bush 

thats just my perspective  

The OL played better when Harrison was at C.  Sam played better when Harrison was at C.  These are facts.  Outside of 2 games, they OL couldnt run block for squat so I dont see how there was some drastic fall off.

Acting like Morse is the end all be all answer to the position and suddenly makes this offseason a win, is being so way overly dramatic it's ridiculous.  He's 1 guy that maybe have never had any interest in the Jets.

The good news is, it's March and apparently a vet is visiting.  Sounds like they're not done addressing the OL nor should they be.  Sucks that they didnt get the #1 guy but unfortunately, that's the risk you take when you try to build through Free Agency. 

And knocking signing Crowder because they didnt sign a C is silly. Should they have just given up altogether in FA because they didnt sign the 1 guy you wanted?  lol

29 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm not overly worked up about those players in particular, but just the overall idiotic concept of going into the draft with a hole on your roster that you're planning on addressing then, which no competent GM does, yet still seems to be the overwhelming belief of the supposed current "plan".

Bottom line, I have no faith in Maccagnan, and would anyone really be all that surprised if he ultimately does nothing of significance and the Jets find themselves watching Wesley Johnson Part Deux this season?  Or he ends up drafting a guy with a 6th round grade in the third because he's scared and all those with talent came off the board before they were on the clock?

Yeah Mac sucks and I'm not defending him, I'm just pointing out that losing your sh*t over not signing 1 dude is being overly dramatic. 

And they resigned a C.  It's technically not a hole.  Harrison can start and perform well.  And FA isnt over and the draft hasnt happened.  They have a vet visiting.  So it doesnt look like they're done but I totally get your lack of faith in Mac.  I'm just not going to kill him for not landing the 1 available "big name" Center who he would have had to make the highest paid Center in the league.  If Harrison is all they do before the season starts, then maybe I'll be upset we didnt do more but it's March.

37 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Another Bitch Fest.  What a surprise.  There were two quality free agent centers available this year.  At least one of them is widely perceived to be damaged goods. His former team offered him a luke warm one year deal.  The other has issues as well, including a concussion.  Despite that a team made him the highest paid center in the league.

Last year the Jets gave a generous free agent contract to Spencer Long.  Remember him?  At the time no one called it a bad contract.  I checked. It was lauded as a good signing.  Fast forward six months, and the whole Jet universe was ripping the deal and the man who offered it. Now, that same universe is having conniptions over our failure to possibly commit to a similar folly. In March.  

We have a capable option in house.  They will draft a center.  They will also do due diligence to upgrade the position, if at all possible. You can't invent players or construct them from whole cloth.  You deal with the options available to you.  That's life.  And football.

perhaps in retrospect long is seen as a bad signing because he played, he sucked, and he got sam hurt?

If we landed one of the two centers you are talking about and then they got our qb hurt because they couldn't snap the ball - then they too would be criticized and rightfully so.

agreed they should sign or draft to help but lets not pretend like we dont have reason to bitch. 

I am hoping we land a vet at some point just to make sure we have som ehelp.

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah Mac sucks and I'm not defending him, I'm just pointing out that losing your sh*t over not signing 1 dude is being overly dramatic. 

And they resigned a C.  It's technically not a hole.  Harrison can start and perform well.  And FA isnt over and the draft hasnt happened.  They have a vet visiting.  So it doesnt look like they're done but I totally get your lack of faith in Mac.  I'm just not going to kill him for not landing the 1 available "big name" Center who he would have had to make the highest paid Center in the league.  If Harrison is all they do before the season starts, then maybe I'll be upset we didnt do more but it's March.

I'm not too hung up on the "big name" guys, but I'll also admit, I have less faith in Harrison than others here seem to.  I don't think he played "well", as much as less awful than Long was at center.  I know you had mentioned the difference between him and Wesley Johnson being Harrison's prior experience as a starter, but let's not forget that his years with the Colts were best known for them having an atrocious OL that was getting Luck killed, and the Colts thought so little of him that they couldn't even bother to give him an RFA tender before he came to the Jets as a backup.  That's a pretty serious indictment.

I agree there's still time to do some things, but it won't take anywhere close to the beginning of the season before it'll prove more incompetence from Maccagnan to me, as they need to have some sort of plan in place before heading into the draft.  Being completely reliant on addressing one particular position in the draft is the perfect formula to help lead to even dumber than usual decisions, and #1 on the list of things not to do when it comes to draft strategy.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Yes it is.  

Agree. The last thing we should want is for the Jets to sign some retread the don't think is the answer because they freaked out like some of the denizens of this board.

Just now, Jethead said:

Agree. The last thing we should want is for the Jets to sign some retread the don't think is the answer because they freaked out like some of the denizens of this board.

Well, based on the Long fiasco I'd say the last thing we should want is for the Jets to sign some retread they do think is the answer.

20 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm not too hung up on the "big name" guys, but I'll also admit, I have less faith in Harrison than others here seem to.  I don't think he played "well", as much as less awful than Long was at center.  I know you had mentioned the difference between him and Wesley Johnson being Harrison's prior experience as a starter, but let's not forget that his years with the Colts were best known for them having an atrocious OL that was getting Luck killed, and the Colts thought so little of him that they couldn't even bother to give him an RFA tender before he came to the Jets as a backup.  That's a pretty serious indictment.

I agree there's still time to do some things, but it won't take anywhere close to the beginning of the season before it'll prove more incompetence from Maccagnan to me, as they need to have some sort of plan in place before heading into the draft.  Being completely reliant on addressing one particular position in the draft is the perfect formula to help lead to even dumber than usual decisions, and #1 on the list of things not to do when it comes to draft strategy.

I'm not saying Harrison is good or great, I'm saying he's good enough to not have a panic attack because we didnt sign the highest paid center in the league or a guy coming of 2 major injuries.  He's much better than both Wesley Johnson and Spencer Long.  So, you could do worse and again, Sam played his best ball while Harrison was under center.  Whether that was because of his play or other factors and to which degree those weigh etc. who knows but the fact remains. 

Anywho sounds like they have some veteran swing types coming in/plan on signing.  So even if Harrison is the worst case scenario for you, they should have some flexibility going into the draft.  Which I agree, should be every GM's goal.  Unfortunately, Mac has dug himself deep and he cant cover it all in one week of FA. 

They still dont have an OLB/CB/WR/LT...all much more pressing than a Center, IMO.  So while it's not a positive thing, dont worry about them being completely reliant on addressing one position in the draft. 

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

perhaps in retrospect long is seen as a bad signing because he played, he sucked, and he got sam hurt?

If we landed one of the two centers you are talking about and then they got our qb hurt because they couldn't snap the ball - then they too would be criticized and rightfully so.

agreed they should sign or draft to help but lets not pretend like we dont have reason to bitch. 

I am hoping we land a vet at some point just to make sure we have som ehelp.

This is not about you.  It's about the Same Old Jets brigade who bitch and moan about every single move that this franchise makes.  You don't do that.  It's the 20/20 hindsight crew that trumpet the moves at the time of conception, and conveniently forget that fact when things go south. 

The last line of your post, illustrates that you are a member of neither of those factions.  I knew that already, anyway.  They know who they are.  And so does everyone else.  I criticize the team also.  It's just not incessant or never ending.  There is a difference.  Regards.

everyone is missing the point, this is a Manish article, and it's coherent, there is even some truth and accuracy, dare I say on point - something is up, ghost writer, alien abduction? 

Mac deserves the criticism, pushing Brick into retirement (still no long term replacement) and cutting Mangold with no viable plan, the last 3 drafts have had quality centers taken in the second and third rounds while Mac was drafting AAF players - no excuse to be forced into overpaying Morse or an injured Paradis 

21 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Two: Without the kind of receiving weapons he benefited from in Pittsburgh, will foes load the box to stop Bell and risk less coverage on outside receivers?

The Jets have enough receiving weapons (including Bell) that loading the box would be a mistake, especially with Darnold, who can move and goes through his progressions well- R.Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Burnett, Herndon. All of these guys can play and all of these guys do different things well. Jet fans love to talk about how the Jets have no #1 WR and it can be argued that they don't. But that does not mean they don't have weapons. With Herndon split out, Robby on the outside as a deep threat, Enunwa on the other side and Crowder in the slot, then you split out Bell. That's 5 options for Sam right there, all guys that can play and are threats.      

21 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

32 teams...each can't sign all the best players

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

On top of this, money notwithstanding, players have preferences as to where they want to play and, ultimately, the final choice is theirs.  The collective braintrust here usually fails to factor this into the picture when grading moves/non-moves.

So because you aren't sure that we can draft a center you want them to sign a FA with injury concerns?  Neither resigned by their respective teams because of those concerns?  Thats a better plan?

Like the overly dramatic, until there's a body snapping the ball line.  :) 

23 hours ago, derp said:

Manish has seemed like a fluff guy lately and a mouthpiece for the FO. This feels like a “negative” piece right before they address this massive hole and sign Wisniewski.

Is signing a guy who's mostly played guard and was benched really addressing the problem?

Archived