Let’s talk about some ways we can get one of these two plug-and-play prospects

Patriot Killa

9 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Its Macs job to find a way to draft one of these guys. Thats what he gets paid millions to do so figure it out knucklehead Mac.

The question remains, does he still not give 2 ****ks  About the OL ? Or because we finally let go of the HC screaming for D, and now have a O HC he will finally appreciate OL? So far it’s looks to be the former 

1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:

Listen, If QBs can have precipitous drops, so can centers.  Especially in a draft like this one.   Both these players could drop to early  round 3, its not impossible.  The are centers, not left tackles, corners or Qbs.

Lol. Qbs are reached, and so are offensive lineman and pass rushers. I think now that centers are being more valued in nfl, teams seeing how much a average center now gets on free agency, they will reached more. 

7 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Someone in the scouting dept needs to change their position to DT and then we have a shot at Macc noticing them

That is Mac and his obsession with bpa. Defensive tackles who are not pass rushers, usually come up as bpa on your board.. Leonard Williams was number one BPA in the entire draft, but was passed over because- he isn’t much of a pass rusher 

55 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. Qbs are reached, and so are offensive lineman and pass rushers. I think now that centers are being more valued in nfl, teams seeing how much a average center now gets on free agency, they will reached more. 

Yes, they will reach, They can also drop.  See Aaron Rodgers.  Every good player is overpaid in FA. Even the average ones.  Nothing to do with position

11 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Yes, they will reach, They can also drop.  See Aaron Rodgers.  Every good player is overpaid in FA. Even the average ones.  Nothing to do with position

Lol yes. Rodgers was quite a while ago :) when qbs actually sat 2-3 years. Why many teams didn’t really want to draft a player in upper first who won’t start Right away. That is not the case anymore. Now every yr we see most of them reached.. qbs with 2nd round grades often picked in top 10, regularly.

You are right “ every good player “ is overpaid in FA. But that doesn’t mean  every “ position “ is overpaid. The good teams have a solid good Oline, bad teams do not. Which is why in large part why we have been so bad over the years. In 09/10 when we had good teams, we had a great OL, even with a bad qb and average RBs..

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol yes. Rodgers was quite a while ago :) when qbs actually sat 2-3 years. Why many teams didn’t really want to draft a player in upper first who won’t start Right away. That is not the case anymore. Now every yr we see most of them reached.. qbs with 2nd round grades often picked in top 10, regularly.

You are right “ every good player “ is overpaid in FA. But that doesn’t mean  every “ position “ is overpaid. The good teams have a solid good Oline, bad teams do not. Which is why in large part why we have been so bad over the years. In 09/10 when we had good teams, we had a great OL, even with a bad qb and average RBs..

ok , both centers are going round 1.  Lets see who is right

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Unless mac can trade down we have no shot at these guys

Yeah, I would expect one of those guys (or McCoy) if we end up trading down and getting a 2nd and another 3rd. While it will be tough to pass on Bosa/Allen/Quinnen, it will also be tough to pass on the chance to draft a REALLY good player at 6-15 AND get the chance to add a starting Center in the 2nd round plus more goodies. 

I think there is a good chance we sign a JAG Center before the draft so that teams don't think we are desperate for a center. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Mac thinks they level of importance is one step up from the punter ?‍♂️

I'll be hard on him but we went hard after a center last year and got burned. 

Maybe he's learned to stop pressing for mid range talent. You strike at opportunity. You can't force it. 

28 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

ok , both centers are going round 1.  Lets see who is right

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Center is now the most important position after QB...Fans tend to lose perspective. 

Last year 2 Centers went in the first. The year before only 1 Center was taken in the first 2 rounds. 

Also Matt Paradis was considered the best Center available in free agency and he only got like 9 million a year. Center is important, but I don't recall one ever being taken in the top 10 and if it happened (probably once or twice) it was a complete outlier. 

Plus there are more than these two guys at center. Erik Mccoy/Michael Jordan and about 3 other guys could emerge as 2nd/3rd round Centers. 

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I'll be hard on him but we went hard after a center last year and got burned. 

Maybe he's learned to stop pressing for mid range talent. You strike at opportunity. You can't force it. 

Calling spencer long talent ? He had major knee issues in 17, and never proved himself.. mac took him because he was cheap with little commitment.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Last year 2 Centers went in the first. The year before only 1 Center was taken in the first 2 rounds. 

Also Matt Paradis was considered the best Center available in free agency and he only got like 9 million a year. Center is important, but I don't recall one ever being taken in the top 10 and if it happened (probably once or twice) it was a complete outlier. 

Plus there are more than these two guys at center. Erik Mccoy/Michael Jordan and about 3 other guys could emerge as 2nd/3rd round Centers. 

Yes i did say fans lose perspective. We need to let the players fall to us and be ready to take them if the value is palatable. 

As I said before, a regular center has blocking as a secondary role. There are only 4 or 5 guys out there that I think are special players worth the money. Most centers will be a disappointment to fans.

Most guys just cannot block well with the delay of snapping the ball. That's why they have 5 Oline to block 4 guys. Intelligence is the most important quality to me in a center unless you get one of those special players. Even then Mangold was a late 1st.  

They both are projected to go  mid 2nd round. Where the hec you seeing first there skippy ♂️?

So now we change our tune. I thought they were going to be reached for???

In a draft where defense is going early and very often, and a ton of WRs, the notion that these centers can’t drop is mindless

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Calling spencer long talent ? He had major knee issues in 17, and never proved himself.. mac took him because he was cheap with little commitment.

He was considered the 2nd best center in FA last year. We just had to have somebody. Turned out that Harrison was better all along.

You need to be ready to seize opportunities. You can't force them.

Let's see how the deals for Paradis and Morse turn out. History says it will not go well for them. 

After watching Mawae and Mangold handle this position for what seemed 20 years, we have really F’d the position up the past couple of seasons.  

Not of the Jags that we are bringing in for visits or signing should start a single game next year.  

7 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

He was considered the 2nd best center in FA last year. We just had to have somebody. Turned out that Harrison was better all along.

You need to be ready to seize opportunities. You can't force them.

Let's see how the deals for Paradis and Morse turn out. History says it will not go well for them. 

That is just it. “ 2nd best center on market” this yr he doesn’t even make a offer to the top 2. Mac somehow every season makes a D position player the highest in nfl or close to it, but when it comes to the offensive line, only average at best $$ is made available.. same with draft, there can’t be a gm in nfl who hasn’t drafted a OL before fifth round in five years 

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The question remains, does he still not give 2 ****ks  About the OL ? Or because we finally let go of the HC screaming for D, and now have a O HC he will finally appreciate OL? So far it’s looks to be the former 

Bear this in mind ... Bowles always preached run the ball, run the ball, passing was almost a dirty word. I'm sure a run-first guy was after OL as well as D. Can't run without OL.

I'm not holding my breath that Macc was being held back from drafting / signing OL all these years by Bowles & co.

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

Bear this in mind ... Bowles always preached run the ball, run the ball, passing was almost a dirty word. I'm sure a run-first guy was after OL as well as D. Can't run without OL.

I'm not holding my breath that Macc was being held back from drafting / signing OL all these years by Bowles & co.

That is true. Except rex was the same exact way, run run run. And although he inherited a great OL, he made his gm draft and sign all D, leaving the Great OL to dwindle. 

19 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Its Macs job to find a way to draft one of these guys.

That is not at alll what his job is. His job is to put together a competitive roster that improves the team. 

If his job was to draft one of these 2 guys he would take one of them with the 3rd overall pick and promptly be asked to clean out his desk. 

19 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Listen, If QBs can have precipitous drops, so can centers.  Especially in a draft like this one.   Both these players could drop to early  round 3, its not impossible.  The are centers, not left tackles, corners or Qbs.

Yup. I've been saying the whole time that IF the Jets wanted to use their 3rd rounder on a center, they would have the ability to get one of the top C prospects in the draft. NOBODY wants to use a high draft pick on a center unless there is someone they really like. There are no 'can't miss' C prospects in this years draft. There just aren't. Jenkins, McKoy and Michael Jordan should all be available in the 3rd for the Jets- IF they decided to go that route.    

Bradbury, Risner and Lindstrom might all go in the second, but they are versatile O-linemen that can move around from OG to OT to maybe C.  

Archived