What is the furthest you'd trade down in Round 1? Where is that talent "cut off"?

jetstream23

The Jets obviously have a number of needs and lots of people are zero'ing in on Edge rusher....and rightfully so.  But Offensive Line, Wide Receiver and other positions could also use a big talent upgrade.

Based on the tiers of talent in the 2019 draft how far down would you be willing to trade in order to still get a blue chip prospect at a position of need for the Jets?  Would you go back further than 10?

I think I'd like to see a trade back but no further than 10.   If you assume that at least 1 QB would go in the Top 10 then that would ensure getting either a top Edge Rusher (Bosa, Allen, Sweat, Gary, Burns, etc.), an OT (Taylor, Williams), a WR (Metcalf), or a consensus Top 3 guy like DT (Williams).  In reality the Jets would likely be looking at several of those guys available at 10 if you assumed one of the top TEs (Hockenson) and LBs (Devin White) also went.

Would anyone want to go even further back in Round 1 if it meant missing out on all those guys but if it meant a big haul of draft picks?  Dropping into the middle of the round the Jets would likely see guys like Cody Ford, Clelin Ferrell, Garrett Bradbury, Greedy Williams, Andre Dillard and AJ Brown still available.

#20...

Anything less than 20, and you can nab (likely) one of the OTs, C, CB, TE and potentially a pass rusher depending on how things shake out.... after 20... eh, the gap between talent #20 and 50# is negligible IMO.

I think 20 would be fine as it would allow us to get either Cody Ford or Bradbury plus at least a second and 3rd this year and something next year.

There are going to be good players in this draft in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so the more picks there the better.  We just need to find a developmental OT, C/G and some sort of pass rusher.

I think Cincinnati is the team that trades up when all is said and done.   I would drop to 11 for the right price (maybe snagging AJ Green or their Center in the process along with some picks).  Pick 11 also seems like a good one to get a sliding prospect.

20 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I think Cincinnati is the team that trades up when all is said and done.   I would drop to 11 for the right price (maybe snagging AJ Green or their Center in the process along with some picks).  Pick 11 also seems like a good one to get a sliding prospect.

11 feels far, but the haul would be mighty.  Looking at who might be there:

Assume the following 6 are definitely gone:  Bosa, QW, Allen, Murray, Haskins, Devin White.

Assume 2 or maybe  3 of the following 4 will probably be gone:  Oliver, Ferrell, Sweat, Gary.

That's 8 or 9. I didn't include the OTs because while one of Taylor and Jonah should be gone, maybe both, it's hard to know which.  I think 1 could make it to 11.  Then there's Greedy.  Could be gone, might slide.  

Worst case, you'd have guys like Byron Murphy, Brian Burns, one of the DL mentioned above, Metcalf, Hockenson and Dillard.  Honestly, you could go to 15 and you'd still have a few of those guys on the board.  But I don't know how the Jets rank them on their board and where THEY feel the dropoffs are.  

But if CIN was offering (and I do NOT think this will happen) their #11, #42 and next year's 1st, I would strongly consider it.  The value is a little light, but close to chart value and the opportunity to add the two picks would be attractive.  Plus I think they will stink this year so next year's 1st should be a nice one.

I’ve noted that the top 40 in most mocks ive seen are similar and then I added some guys I really like. I then looked at the most likely top 10 picks of those 40 and eliminated them. Then i chose which players would be disaster choices by Macc and I eliminated them. All of that just led me to the conclusion that I’d be willing to trade down as long as we’re in position to get 2 of the remaining 25 players that I like. So, I’m willing to go past 10, if the compensation is right.

Archived