Here’s why the Jets Shouldn’t be so Quick to cut Ties With Darron Lee

JetNation

IMG_8520.jpg

When the Jets came to terms with free agent linebacker CJ Mosley during the league’s legal tampering period, it was assumed that the team was fully prepared to move on from former first round draft pick Darron Lee.  Lee did some good things in 2018 but finished the year on a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Darron Lee does not have a long-term future with the Jets, I’m told. Jordan Jenkins is still viewed as a solid edge setter. https://t.co/oqRjuP5eE8

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) March 12, 2019

In the days that followed the Mosley signing, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported that Lee was not in the team’s long-term plans, but if Gang Green is planning on parting ways with Lee, here are three reasons why they should do so by letting his contract expire rather than dumping Lee before that time comes.

Role in coverage:

It’s hard to believe that with the various defensive looks Gregg Williams will likely employ that he won’t be able to find a part-time role for Lee that could see him contribute on defense.  Lee was an improved player in 2018 compared to his fist two pro seasons, but coverage was where he stood out.  Even if it’s only during obvious passing situations to drop back in coverage or come off the edge, Lee should offer some value to Williams.

Affordability:

If the Jets are able to find a role for Lee as mentioned above, they’ll be doing it with a player who is set to make just $1.8 million in 2019 according to overthecap.com.  A relative bargain if things work out.

Compensation:

Releasing Lee gets the Jets nothing in return, and given his end-of-season suspension last year, they may not be able to net more than a late-round pick via trade.  Should Lee turn in a solid 2019 season and earn a big payday elsewhere, the Jets could possibly receive a comp pick that would be an earlier selection than what  a trade would bring.  

If the Jets do opt to cut ties with Lee before his contract expires, forgoing the opportunity to get a comp pick for a very modest price, one would have to believe that Lee’s drug suspension got under the organization’s skin and they’re more concerned with locker room culture than draft capital.

The post Here’s why the Jets Shouldn’t be so Quick to cut Ties With Darron Lee appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
i3jg88AMIno

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

This is classic case of fans just wanting to get rid of a guy no matter what.

Look, I don't like Lee as a player, but there's zero benefit to just getting rid of him.

Lee is terrible I tend to agree.  No reason to cut him.  Trade him if the value is real but no reason to just cut him because he wasnt worth a 1st round pick.  If that were the motivation, we'd have Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams playing ironman Football.

It's time for Darren Lee to "sh*t or get off of the Pot".  He's got to get off the pot, for sure. 

It makes  no sense to trade or cut him at this point.  They won't get a second  rounder for him, and anything less is foolish.  He is worth more to us than that.  He'll get his "prove it" year, and we'll go from there. 

Greg Williams will probably be the best thing that's ever happened to his career.  Or the worst.  lol.  We're going to find out.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If what is written is true, then it makes sense to keep him and gamble he will have a good year and get a comp pick if we let him go to another team. At least we get something in return. Something, when a little something is better than nothing

Would you rather have a fifth round pick this year for a guy who has no future on this team or HOPE we get a fifth round comp pick two years from now?

The Jets have a ton of needs. Packaging Lee for a pick or for a player allows the Jets to fulfill more of their needs. It's clear that Lee's behavior has only aggravated an already bad situation due to Lee's disappointing play.

What all of these people supporting Lee staying are missing is:

WHAT IF HE PULLS MORE OF HIS SHENANIGANS AGAIN???

If he decides to go drug addict again, what do the Jets gain by that? If he decides to beat the sweet Jesus out of his girlfriend and Williams isn't there to protect him from himself, what then?

It's not like he isn't capable of doing this crap again.

This is to say nothing about his play if he sticks around, which we already know he is clearly not cut out for. I'm also sorry to ruin these ridiculous claims about how good he is in coverage. That's a crock. Lee is horrible in coverage and he didn't get any better at it last season. He got lucky a few times sitting back in his zone with no defensive responsibility on those plays. Neville Hewitt can do that and he doesn't cost 1.8 million.

28 minutes ago, RobR said:

Would you rather have a fifth round pick this year for a guy who has no future on this team or HOPE we get a fifth round comp pick two years from now?

What part of getting something is better than getting nothing did you not understand? Obviously if we get a fifth this year that is getting something. 

18 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What part of getting something is better than getting nothing did you not understand? Obviously if we get a fifth this year that is getting something. 

You're post is confusing. You said you wanted to keep him and hope we get a comp pick two years from now. No?

I'm saying I would rather trade him and get that pick now.

5 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Lee's negatives outweigh the positives, so trade or cut him.  Rookie deal be damned.  Let someone earn a a roster spot instead of him taking up one to save Mac's pride.

Did you read the OP ? I can't wait for Greg Williams to work with Lee.

Lee's negatives outweigh the positives, so trade or cut him.  Rookie deal be damned.  Let someone earn a a roster spot instead of him taking up one to save Mac's pride.
He is coming off his best year with a new head coach and defensive coordinator he had alot of potential that for buried by him playing out of position now that we have ilbs we could play him in his natural position and see if he is worth anything why get rid of him before even looking?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Gregg Williams makes or breaks Darron Lee, i'm hoping for success, we cannot keep failing on all these #1 draft picks. 

The game is over, Lee is already a bust. Even if Lee becomes a truly great linebacker under Williams he's still gone. CJ Moseley is Lee's PERMANENT replacement.

Just now, NYJ1 said:

The game is over, Lee is already a bust. Even if Lee becomes a truly great linebacker under Williams he's still gone. CJ Moseley is Lee's PERMANENT replacement.

I disagree Kacy Rodgers and Todd Bowles are the worst defensive coaches in the NFL, a few players regresses while they were here. 

Lee can be used a hybrid LB in different defensive schemes, his coverage skills are decent. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

I disagree Kacy Rodgers and Todd Bowles are the worst defensive coaches in the NFL, a few players regresses while they were here. 

Lee can be used a hybrid LB in different defensive schemes, his coverage skills are decent. 

He's not, under any circumstances, going to regain his starting linebacker spot. C J Moseley now owns that job and there isn't any way Lee could Ever win it back.

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Or he could fill in as the practice QB dummy for scheming defensive blitzes. 

9 hours ago, JiF said:

Lee is terrible I tend to agree.  No reason to cut him.  Trade him if the value is real but no reason to just cut him because he wasnt worth a 1st round pick.  If that were the motivation, we'd have Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams playing ironman Football.

Who cares if he's worth a 1st round pick? Sure, he's not. But draft position doesn't matter. The fact is, he's a viable starter, and at a damn good price.

15 hours ago, RobR said:

You're post is confusing. You said you wanted to keep him and hope we get a comp pick two years from now. No?

I'm saying I would rather trade him and get that pick now.

The original post didn't  give a scenario where we could trade him this year. I stared oit saying if this is true. 

Archived