RUMOR (barely so far) - Could SEA trade R Wilson to Giants?

nycdan

This is nothing but a rumor so far but it's getting a lot of airtime.  SEA seeming to not want to pay Wilson market value next year (probably close to $35MM/year) and his value would be sky high right now.  I think him hanging out with the Yankees this week probably helped spin them up a bit but with NYG claiming to not like the QBs this year, what would a trade look like?

I assume it would have to start with the #6, and either #17 or next year's first, plus probably this year's 2nd.  While it feels unlikely, we've seen some mind-boggling trades already.  If (big if) SEA was high on Haskins, they could really spin things around, getting him on a rookie deal and putting the $30+MM to work on other positions to start rebuilding the team that has really fallen off from it's peak.  It doesn't appear they have a realistic shot of winning this year or next, so if Wilson is a goner anyway, they could start rebuilding right now.  Bold, but possible.

On the Giants side, since they would presumably be willing to pay Wilson Rodgers money, it solves their QB problem in an instant.  They still have a lot of work to do on the roster, but that would be the most important step.  I'm presuming they could salvage either #17 or their 2nd round pick this year but this trade would make the OBJ trade make more sense.  Top QB, Top RB...good TE.  They could work with that.  

The biggest blocker IMO is Eli.  They have made it clear they are loyal to a fault so how do they bring Wilson in now without cutting Eli loose?  Even if everything else could be worked out, that could be the thing that makes this a non-starter.  Barring that, though, it actually could make sense for both teams given their respective situations.   Certainly would make things fun in NY.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is nothing but a rumor so far but it's getting a lot of airtime.  SEA seeming to not want to pay Wilson market value next year (probably close to $35MM/year) and his value would be sky high right now.  I think him hanging out with the Yankees this week probably helped spin them up a bit but with NYG claiming to not like the QBs this year, what would a trade look like?

I assume it would have to start with the #6, and either #17 or next year's first, plus probably this year's 2nd.  While it feels unlikely, we've seen some mind-boggling trades already.  If (big if) SEA was high on Haskins, they could really spin things around, getting him on a rookie deal and putting the $30+MM to work on other positions to start rebuilding the team that has really fallen off from it's peak.  It doesn't appear they have a realistic shot of winning this year or next, so if Wilson is a goner anyway, they could start rebuilding right now.  Bold, but possible.
On the Giants side, since they would presumably be willing to pay Wilson Rodgers money, it solves their QB problem in an instant.  They still have a lot of work to do on the roster, but that would be the most important step.  I'm presuming they could salvage either #17 or their 2nd round pick this year but this trade would make the OBJ trade make more sense.  Top QB, Top RB...good TE.  They could work with that.  
The biggest blocker IMO is Eli.  They have made it clear they are loyal to a fault so how do they bring Wilson in now without cutting Eli loose?  Even if everything else could be worked out, that could be the thing that makes this a non-starter.  Barring that, though, it actually could make sense for both teams given their respective situations.   Certainly would make things fun in NY.

Wasn’t this a “rumor” 2 months ago?

Just now, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell. 

It only make any sense at all if SEA knows they don't want to pay him or any QB $35MM/year.  I don't know why that would be an issue with today's salary cap, but it's all I've got.  

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It only make any sense at all if SEA knows they don't want to pay him or any QB $35MM/year.  I don't know why that would be an issue with today's salary cap, but it's all I've got.  

They just gave Eli a $5 million dollar roster bonus. 

TAMPA — Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson is spending the weekend with the Yankees, but he’s also kept an eye on what’s been going on in his own sport — including with the Giants, who traded Odell Beckham Jr. to Cleveland and signed Wilson’s former teammate, Golden Tate.

“I was definitely shocked by the Odell move,’’ Wilson said Friday at George M. Steinbrenner Field. “But in sports and in the NFL today, a lot of crazy things happen. To see Antonio Brown go to the Raiders [from the Steelers] and then Odell leaving New York and going to Cleveland, Cleveland will have a good squad. It’s part of the process, I guess. It’s a business.”

After shipping Beckham to the Browns, the Giants signed Tate, who spent the first four seasons of his career with Wilson in Seattle, where they won a title together.

“He can make plays, that’s for sure,’’ Wilson said. “He’ll make people miss. He definitely has that talent.’’

see also

Wilson could learn more about the business side of the sport soon enough.

He’s entering the final year of his contract, and there have been rumors that he might end up with the Giants as Eli Manning’s replacement.

“The reality is a lot of guys move, but for me, I love Seattle,’’ Wilson said. “I won a Super Bowl there, been to two, won a lot of playoff games. I love being there. As far as trades or being moved, you can never be surprised. I have a clear mindset of how much I love Seattle.”

He pointed out that his Super Bowl victory came at MetLife Stadium, so he has fond memories of playing there.

“We love New York, but Seattle is home for us,’’ Wilson said.

And he’ll also be keeping an eye on Kyler Murray, who entered the NFL Draft and has given up a promising baseball career.

“It will be interesting to see if he’s picked first overall,’’ said Wilson, who has talked to Murray about their shared histories of playing both baseball and football. “Most likely he’ll go in the first five, six or seven picks.”

From the NY Post 2 days ago. Things can change but it looks like its got no legs.......yet.

I could see it happening honestly. The Seahawks formula worked because they had QB as good as Wilson making peanuts. That allowed them to pour resources into building an all world defense. The haul they would get in return for Wilson would let them supplement their roster back to a Super Bowl level while they search for the next QB. The past two seasons the Seahawks had Wilson and watered down roster and where did it get them? 8-10 wins. 

The price for Wilson would exceed Khalil Mack. Bidding starts at 3 first round picks. How can the Giants compete when they not only have to tie a bunch of their salary cap into Wilson but also need to give up a ton of draft capital? 

Where are the long term answers on the Giants roster? They are set at LG with Hernandez and RB with Barkley TE with Engram, and S with Peppers (Engram and Peppers will start making $ in 2021). Outside of that they have a bunch of impending free agents (Shepard), high priced vets over 30 (Solder, Zietler, Tate, Jenkins, Ogeltree, Bethea) and young guys drafted in the mid rounds with some upside that fans tend tl overrate, but hardly sure things. (Beal, Tomlinson, Hill, Carter). The rest of their roster is pretty much depth guys/low end starters. 

28 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Even though I can't see it, maybe if Sea. doesn't want to pay Wilson they check if the Cardinals are interested to traed basically the 1st rounder so Sea. takes Murray to be their next young/cheap Wilson at QB plus multiple other draft picks.

This reminded me of a column I read.  Found it. 

Bill Barnwell suggested that a team will trade a very good QB after the rookie deal is up instead of rostering him at 20M plus per year. 

"Some team is going to try it," is what Barnwell said back in September.

Maybe Seattle has the courage to do this?

Read Barnwell's column... interesting and a concept with validity.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24801136/how-nfl-teams-trade-young-qb-starters-thrive-bill-barnwell-2018

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Wilson is even remotely available, the sh*t-ass Jets should offer Darnold and the #3 immediately.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans: I’d only agree to trade for Russell Wilson if we could keep Sam as his backup. 

Image result for take your meds joke gifs

Archived