RUMOR (barely so far) - Could SEA trade R Wilson to Giants?

nycdan

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans: I’d only agree to trade for Russell Wilson if we could keep Sam as his backup. 

You should be smart enough to ask yourself why a team (run by a SB winning head coach) that has such an amazing QB would be willing to trade him in the first place.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave Gettleman getting angry at Eli Manning doubts: ‘Crock’ to say he’s overpaid

March 18, 2019 | 12:41pm | Updated 

Enlarge Image
Eli Manning
Eli ManningGetty Images

He has said it before, but not as succinctly and not nearly as adamantly. Eli Manning is not going anywhere and Dave Gettleman, the Giants’ general manager, does not know why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

“Again,’’ Gettleman said Monday, “this narrative that Eli’s overpaid and can’t play is a crock. I’m telling you.’’

The Giants not only believe Manning, their 38-year old quarterback, can still play, they also believe he is worth the money he will receive in 2019. Manning, entering the final year of his contract, has a base salary of $17 million and a salary cap number of $23.2 million. On Monday, a $5 million bonus will be wired into Manning’s bank account because he remained on the roster on the fifth day of the new NFL year.

Gettleman admitted the Giants “talked about’’ doing something with Manning’s contract, as far as making an adjustment to lessen the salary cap hit. It was not a hot-and-heavy topic, The Post previously reported, and never got much traction in the building.

“We discussed it and we just said we’re gonna keep moving,’’ Gettleman said. “So for right now, I think [Monday] is the day he gets his bonus, and we just keep moving.’’

Gettleman does not use the word “rebuilding’’ when discussing his plan for the present and future. He says the Giants are “building’’ and “The object of this is to win, as many games as possible, every year. We were 3-13 when we took over, we were 5-11 last year … we’re building. I don’t understand why that’s a question. Really and truly, you can win while you’re building. They’re not separate pieces.’’

Gettleman explained how trading away Odell Beckham Jr. to the Browns allows the Giants to address needs at multiple positions. If, prior to free agency, the Giants released Manning, it would have freed up $13 million in salary cap to spend. This was not a consideration.

“You turn around and take a look at what happened last year once we got that O-line fixed, better — we’re gonna continue working on that — and look what we did in the second half of the year on offense,’’ Gettleman said.

SEE ALSO

image.gif.3da6e1f9b475d9c970b579fe2993eca4.gif

“At the end of the day, you’re gonna say, ‘Gettleman’s out of his mind’ or ‘He knows what he’s talking about when he evaluates players.’ That’s really where it’s at. And I’m OK if you disagree with me, that’s fine. What I’m telling you is, if you turn around and take a look at what he’s making right now and look around the league and see what quarterbacks are making, if you were in my shoes, you would say, the way he finished the season and what he’s making, it really wasn’t a decision to make.’’

Manning’s cap cost is tied with Cam Newton for seventh among quarterbacks in 2019. His annual average salary of $21 million is 14th among all quarterbacks. By trading away Beckham ($16 million) and linebacker Olivier Vernon ($8 million), the Giants added $24 million to their dead money hit of nearly $34 million on the cap for this season. Only the Dolphins have more dead money to account for in 2019.

“Nobody wants to have that kind of dead money,’’ Gettleman said. “It’s the long-term vision that we have in the building of what we want to do and sometimes you got to do those things.’’

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

This is nothing but a rumor so far but it's getting a lot of airtime.  SEA seeming to not want to pay Wilson market value next year (probably close to $35MM/year) and his value would be sky high right now.  I think him hanging out with the Yankees this week probably helped spin them up a bit but with NYG claiming to not like the QBs this year, what would a trade look like?

I assume it would have to start with the #6, and either #17 or next year's first, plus probably this year's 2nd.  While it feels unlikely, we've seen some mind-boggling trades already.  If (big if) SEA was high on Haskins, they could really spin things around, getting him on a rookie deal and putting the $30+MM to work on other positions to start rebuilding the team that has really fallen off from it's peak.  It doesn't appear they have a realistic shot of winning this year or next, so if Wilson is a goner anyway, they could start rebuilding right now.  Bold, but possible.

On the Giants side, since they would presumably be willing to pay Wilson Rodgers money, it solves their QB problem in an instant.  They still have a lot of work to do on the roster, but that would be the most important step.  I'm presuming they could salvage either #17 or their 2nd round pick this year but this trade would make the OBJ trade make more sense.  Top QB, Top RB...good TE.  They could work with that.  

The biggest blocker IMO is Eli.  They have made it clear they are loyal to a fault so how do they bring Wilson in now without cutting Eli loose?  Even if everything else could be worked out, that could be the thing that makes this a non-starter.  Barring that, though, it actually could make sense for both teams given their respective situations.   Certainly would make things fun in NY.

No way.   This is just too fantastical to be real. 

Seattle has a super bowl winning QB who unlike Flacco in Baltimore has shown no signs of regressing. Trading him for anything would be the dumbest move they could ever make. Just pay him you cheap bastards, a franchise QB with a proven championship caliber clutch factor doesn't drop into your laps every day. If something else has to go oh well, this is more important.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

This is nothing but a rumor so far but it's getting a lot of airtime.  SEA seeming to not want to pay Wilson market value next year (probably close to $35MM/year) and his value would be sky high right now.  I think him hanging out with the Yankees this week probably helped spin them up a bit but with NYG claiming to not like the QBs this year, what would a trade look like?

I assume it would have to start with the #6, and either #17 or next year's first, plus probably this year's 2nd.  While it feels unlikely, we've seen some mind-boggling trades already.  If (big if) SEA was high on Haskins, they could really spin things around, getting him on a rookie deal and putting the $30+MM to work on other positions to start rebuilding the team that has really fallen off from it's peak.  It doesn't appear they have a realistic shot of winning this year or next, so if Wilson is a goner anyway, they could start rebuilding right now.  Bold, but possible.

On the Giants side, since they would presumably be willing to pay Wilson Rodgers money, it solves their QB problem in an instant.  They still have a lot of work to do on the roster, but that would be the most important step.  I'm presuming they could salvage either #17 or their 2nd round pick this year but this trade would make the OBJ trade make more sense.  Top QB, Top RB...good TE.  They could work with that.  

The biggest blocker IMO is Eli.  They have made it clear they are loyal to a fault so how do they bring Wilson in now without cutting Eli loose?  Even if everything else could be worked out, that could be the thing that makes this a non-starter.  Barring that, though, it actually could make sense for both teams given their respective situations.   Certainly would make things fun in NY.

Didn't they just pay Eli his $5M roster bonus a day ago?  They are not cutting or moving Eli this season.  

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Damn, you are good at this.

I salute you.

Have you lost your mind?  Or is it some inner troll eating away at your soul.  You do realize that the master of the run/pass option offense was sacked 51 times last year, don't you.  I realize that the "Mayfield Fever" clouds your ability to see Sam Darnold's ability and potential clearly, at times, but this goes beyond the pale.  Eat some soup, go to bed, and stay away from @TomShane

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans: I’d only agree to trade for Russell Wilson if we could keep Sam as his backup. 

You should go out and get some fresh bait.  The old stuff is starting to stink.

I could see one way this happens: as part of a three way trade where Seattle was guaranteed to get Kyler Murray. Like NY trades 6, 17  and a 2 next year, Seattle trades their first, third, 6 and 17 and next years 2nd from Giants to Arizona

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

You are going to be paying 1 of the worst qbs in nfl next yr 23 mil, plus a rookie qb , might as well Make the trade for one of best who won’t cost much more

54 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Have you lost your mind?  Or is it some inner troll eating away at your soul.  You do realize that the master of the run/pass option offense was sacked 51 times last year, don't you.  I realize that the "Mayfield Fever" clouds your ability to see Sam Darnold's ability and potential clearly, at times, but this goes beyond the pale.  Eat some soup, go to bed, and stay away from @TomShane

Lol. C'mon my friend...I can't believe you take @T0mShane seriously. He's toying with you.

Its not what he said that impressed me. It is his ability to wreak havoc on a thread. He's really a master at lighting a fire. He applies friction, gets a spark, then he sits back and watches the flames. 

The key to enjoying his work is not to get caught in the trap of thinking he believes everything he says. You have to appreciate why he said it, then sit back and enjoy the show..

He is very good at what he does.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

It only make any sense at all if SEA knows they don't want to pay him or any QB $35MM/year.  I don't know why that would be an issue with today's salary cap, but it's all I've got.  

Can't see it. Giants just paid Eli $5mil last week. If they were going to do it it would have been earlier, Now they want to add Wilsons salary to Eli's 17 mil ? Even tho the Hawks are trying to avoid a Cousins scenario where they tag him every year and owe him $52.4 mil for the 2022 season I still can't see it. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Wilson is even remotely available, the sh*t-ass Jets should offer Darnold and the #3 immediately.

There are really six of you banana-boys who would NOT trade Darnold and the #3 for a 30 year old Lock Hall of Fame QB? Is this what I’m to understand? 

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Lol. C'mon my friend...I can't believe you take @T0mShane seriously. He's toying with you.

Its not what he said that impressed me. It is his ability to wreak havoc on a thread. He's really a master at lighting a fire. He applies friction, gets a spark, then he sits back and watches the flames. 

The key to enjoying his work is not to get caught in the trap of thinking he believes everything he says. You have to appreciate why he said it, then sit back and enjoy the show..

He's not toying with me at all.  Quite the contrary.  It's not really that hard to do what he does.  The question is why?  It's a shame that an intelligent person wastes his time on such a sophomoric exercise. 

Cutting, clever  humor is one thing.  He does that well at times. Too often it consists of transparent stupidity like this..  Too bad.  He obviously has knowledge about the team and a perspective that is worth voicing.  Unfortunately, those contributions are few and far between.

I don't take him seriously.  I wish I could.  The board would be better for it.  Enjoy the soup.

25 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

:rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

:rolleyes:

Jeez this is a bad night for old 14. Two of my boys beating me up here...  @joenamathwouldn'tcry wants my night nurse to bring me a bowl of soup. Then you, one of my favorites, who I've never, ever had a disagreement with since I joined the site, gives me the dreaded butt fumble.

Et tu Brutus? ?

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Jeez this is a bad night for old 14. Two of my boys beating me up here...  @joenamathwouldn'tcry wants my night nurse to bring me a bowl of soup. Then you, one of my favorites, who I've never, ever had a disagreement with since I joined the site, gives me the dreaded butt fumble.

Et tu Brutus? ?

In the words of Neil Young,  "Comes a Time"...…. lol ?  Walk to the light.

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There are really six of you banana-boys who would NOT trade Darnold and the #3 for a 30 year old Lock Hall of Fame QB? Is this what I’m to understand? 

Darnold is 21 and on a rookie contract. Wilson is 30 years old and would be making crazy money.  

If they believe in Darnold as an organization, that trade makes no sense for the Jets, my dude. 

Archived