If you were Mike McCagnan what would your draft strategy?

WayneChrebet80

The last time the Jets owned a pick this high (not counting trade ups) was 2006. The Jets made the decision to double up on oline and it turned out to be the best draft in team history. 

If I was Mike McCagnan my two first picks would be the best two OL available (trade down if I could, but if I cant still would pull the trigger at Taylor at 3). 

Taking one of these defensive studs is enticing, but at the end of the day my job is tied to Sam Darnolds success. If it doesnt work out I will still sleep soundly at night knowing that I did everything in my power to give him the support he needed. 

The Jets cannot fix all their needs in one offseason. Get the offense ready this year and work on improving the pass rush and secondary next year. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To completely **** it up except for one pick. 

If I was doing it I’d try my hardest to sign Houston, tradedown, get a second this year and a first and second next year then draft OT, C, WR/TE, DT. 

If trading down wasn’t possible and signing Houston didn’t then draft the best defensive player not needed Allen and get a center in the third or trade up into the second and get a center. 

4 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The last time the Jets owned a pick this high (not counting trade ups) was 2006. The Jets made the decision to double up on oline and it turned out to be the best draft in team history. 

If I was Mike McCagnan my two first picks would be the best two OL available (trade down if I could, but if I cant still would pull the trigger at Taylor at 3). 

Taking one of these defensive studs is enticing, but at the end of the day my job is tied to Sam Darnolds success. If it doesnt work out I will still sleep soundly at night knowing that I did everything in my power to give him the support he needed. 

The Jets cannot fix all their needs in one offseason. Get the offense ready this year and work on improving the pass rush and secondary next year. 

An 06 repeat would help this team immensely. Unfortunately, there is no Brick in this draft and we dont have a second 1st round pick - or a 2nd round pick for that matter.  Although we desperately need a pass rusher, this is just a sh*tty year for us to be picking 3rd if oline is what you want. On top of that it's also a really sh*tty year not to have a 2nd round pick! Goes without saying that I'd much rather have the Giants picks. If they were to offer the two 1st's to move up I'd do back flips, but I dont see it happening. 

Honestly, oline and C especially are such a concern right now that I wouldn't be angry if he traded future picks to move into the 2nd round if one of the top centers or other olineman were available. 

9 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I would take anything available to move back a spot or two if im insistent on Taylor. I dont even care if it ends up being a little below market value, Taylor (to me) just feels like such a huge reach at 3. 

I was listening to an interview with Fat Mike and Gettleman today. I dont like Gettleman but one of the things he said that really stuck out is that if you reach to fill a position you are always going to regret it. I tend to agree with this. I really agree with this when you're talking the 3rd overall pick and Bosa/Allen is available and also a huge need. 

17 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Only issue is that this may be the best pass rusher draft at the top of the 1st round in a long time and next year there might not be the availability there is this draft. I'd either take Bosa or Allen, whichever drops to us since both are worthy of the pick unless some team knocks our socks off for a dog's bait worth of picks in a trade down for us.

19 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I would take anything available to move back a spot or two if im insistent on Taylor. I dont even care if it ends up being a little below market value, Taylor (to me) just feels like such a huge reach at 3. 

I was listening to an interview with Fat Mike and Gettleman today. I dont like Gettleman but one of the things he said that really stuck out is that if you reach to fill a position you are always going to regret it. I tend to agree with this. I really agree with this when you're talking the 3rd overall pick and Bosa/Allen is available and also a huge need. 

The Jets could literally have to cut their entire oline next year outside of Shell. You invested a first and three thirds in a QB and you arent going to build an oline in front of him?

9 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The Jets could literally have to cut their entire oline next year outside of Shell. You invested a first and three thirds in a QB and you arent going to build an oline in front of him?

I didnt say I wouldnt build an oline. I'm all for it. I just wouldnt misuse very valuable resources for the sake of saying you got an olineman. 

I presume draft slots are like anything else.....value is based on the market.  So if you lower the asking price and lower it and lower it again eventurally you will find a buyer.  I am more than prepared to lower our price to trade out.  

I have been thinking about this. 

Who is the Patriots Edge rusher?

I would sign Houston, trade down to draft T, WR and C, maybe edge if there.

If someone gives a 2nd to sign Robby, take that 

I think Jawaan Taylor is the type of player that fits on the new Jets. 

I want OL too but Taylor at 3 would be cause for immediate termination.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The Jets need elite level talent. We now have 3 players that can play at an all-pro level: Adams, Bell and Mosley. That's not enough. I would stay at #3 and pick the guy highest on our board. Pick 68 I think would be a good spot for WR (one of the many WRs expected to go in the 2nd is bound to fall). And with pick 93, I would go best available OL.

For the remainder of FA, I would continue to fill the roster with competent veterans. Wiesnieski iOL, Houston Edge, Quinn Edge if he gets cut. I would also consider trading for BJ Finney iOL, and Trae Waynes CB if the price is right.

So something like this would be my approach

Sign: Houston Edge, Quinn Edge, Wiesniewski iOL

Trades: Lee ILB for BJ Finney iOL, Trade Pick 105 for Trae Waynes CB

Draft: 3rd Pick: Quinnen Williams iDL, 68th Pick: JJ Arcega-Whiteside WR, 93rd Pick: Connor McGovern iOL (I used the thedraftnetwork mock draft machine)

I change my mind constantly.

I want a stout OL so terribly that trading down usually seems like such a good option. I don't want to watch Sam get pummeled or Bell get stuffed at the line all season.

But then I look at the defense. CB was a problem. Pass rushing was a problem. Can I really stand to watch more games where the opposing QB has all the time in the world to find an open receiver? 

So today, or at least this morning, I want the Jets to stay at 3 and pick a game changing defensive player... Then in the 3rd grab either someone for that line, or another TE that can help improve a sort of quick-strike offense.

If we can't build up a strong line then Gase's plan should be to build an offense around getting the ball out of Sam's hands quickly.

10 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I completely agree on not reaching for a player. Look at it this way, Jonah Williams (or any of the OL) are largely considered to be the 8th-12th best player in this draft. If you were to take the 8th best player at #3 you'd be giving up 800 points of value on the trade chart, which is equivalent to the #21 overall.

No OL in this draft is worth 2 first round picks. Unless we can trade down the pick should be Bosa/Q Williams/Allen

11 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Only issue is that this may be the best pass rusher draft at the top of the 1st round in a long time and next year there might not be the availability there is this draft. I'd either take Bosa or Allen, whichever drops to us since both are worthy of the pick unless some team knocks our socks off for a dog's bait worth of picks in a trade down for us.

I'd put a for sale sign on the pick, but I wouldn't trade it for anything less than full value. Really be looking for a 2020 first-rounder as part of the deal. 

That said, if I can't get my trade, I'm taking the EDGE. If you've got a franchise QB and stud EDGE on rookie contracts, your team is probably in pretty decent shape.  

Taking a OL at 3 means passing up multiple impact players who are much better, thats not a smart thing to do.  Obviously im all for trading down if we get a very good deal.  Lastly like others have said this year isnt a very strong class for OL.  Its not like in 2006

I'd argue Revis/Harris draft over Brick/Mangold but it's close.

That said, you dont reach for need.  Biggest mistakes teams make is reaching for need.  The good news is, pass rusher is a HUGE need.  HUGE.  So, stay put and take Allen/Bosa.  If they're both gone, PANIC!!!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, faba said:

Take Allen or Bosa this team has not has a edge rusher since Abraham that opposing teams had to worry about. It can cover the secondary

I think a huge decision is what they think of allen. If they don’t think he’s the real deal then a trade back becomes that much more important b/c I think Q is the absolutely wrong decision.

Taking Taylor at 3 is crazy. If you’re stuck at 3 and Bosa/ Williams are available then you pick one of those 2. If they’re gone, take Allen. If Mac was really next level he’d trade Leo Williams for a second and then draft Q if Bosa is gone. Take whoever of McCoy, Risner, Jenkins, Bradbury is available in the second and be happy.

11 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

No one is "literally cutting their entire OL" next year.  It doesnt need to be completely replaced and isn't happening.  Its not 06.  There isnt a D'Brick or probably a Mangold in the draft even if we had the two 1s it would take to get them.  

Sign Houston and Wisniewski pre draft, giving us a little security at 2 positions of need. At least a year or two of a vet presence. 

On draft day, see what the offers are for #3. If multiple 1st rounders+ are on the table, trade down.

If we make the pick (assuming Allen and Williams are left) I'd have to go with Williams. Hes the best prospect on the board. Should be an immediate impact. . Gives us leverage going forward with Leo's upcoming contract too

IF I was going to stay at 3, I would probably take either Allen or Williams

IF I was to trade down, I would look at the Giants.  A trade with us, if you use the draft value chart, would net us roughly a 2nd and a 5th. 

Now, we would be picking six.  Is it possible Allen and/or Williams slips?  Probably not, but I have seen some Mocks where Williams goes to 8.  If that were the case, Williams would be the pick and I would run up there and do it.  IF not, and while I wouldn't have thought this a month ago, I would then probably take Montez Sweat with number 6.

I would then probably do something like this:

2nd (37) - Elgton Jenkins, Dalton Risner, Erik McCoy, Ross Pierschbacher.  ONE of them will be available, and might have to go a little high to get one.

3rd (68) Trey Pipkins OT.  There is a few options to develop an OT here.  I hope Pipkins is there early in 3.

3rd (93) Miles Boykin WR....Big and strong, and if lucky still kicking around late in the 3rd.

4th (105) Ben Banogu DE/OLB ....Why not double-dip at this position since we have picked two O-lineman already?

5th (143) Zach Gentry TE....good blocker, some receiver GREAT size for red zone at 6'8"

Archived