If you were Mike McCagnan what would your draft strategy?

WayneChrebet80

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Wait until the 3rd pick but I would do everything in my power to trade down.  I'd much rather have a mid round 1st pick, a 2nd and another 3rd for instance than #3 alone.

After accounting for all of the various situations that this particular team is in this year with their needs, I agree. Normally, I'm not one to want to trade down unless I'm blown away, but this year is just a weird year in general. Most of that has to do with the fact that we're finally not in the market for a FQB.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Stay at #3 and pick an immediate impact player starter. 

To me it goes beyond whether the guy is going to just make an impact.  If you feel that one of Bosa, Williams or Allen are truly special, or good enough to be a dominant player for years to come, you have to take them.  I can't make that judgment based off their tape.  I hope our front office can.  But if you don't think that one of them is a special guy who will dominate over time,  trade down and take a center and a tackle.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Taylor is a RT only. And he’s a tier or two below the top defensive guys.  Shell is only a RT with no positional versatility and is our only young ok lineman

Not that I want to pick Taylor at 3.  I really, really don't, but Shell is a free agent next offseason.  I don't care how young he is, I don't see him as worth a big 2nd deal, so he has no bearing on my draft strategy.

I'd try like hell to the last second to trade down into the 6-8 range then take Jonah Williams, Montez Sweat or Jawaan Taylor. Hopefully we pick up a 2nd rounder in that trade down and pick up someone like Garrett Bradbury( 6' 3" / 300 ) from NC State to man that C position.

If we couldn't trade down I'd take the safer bet with Josh Allen @ 3 tho I'm personally not sold on him.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I have been thinking about this. 

Who is the Patriots Edge rusher?

I would sign Houston, trade down to draft T, WR and C, maybe edge if there.

If someone gives a 2nd to sign Robby, take that 

I think Jawaan Taylor is the type of player that fits on the new Jets. 

Trey Flowers just got $90M.  Why the **** do people keep acting like that Pats don't care about pass rush and stock the Oline?  Chandler Jones is still running around sacking people and making money.  You think the Patriots prioritize offensive line?  They have let their LT walk 2 years in a row after winning the super bowl.

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Wait until the 3rd pick but I would do everything in my power to trade down.  I'd much rather have a mid round 1st pick, a 2nd and another 3rd for instance than #3 alone.

except Macc is drafting.  We have the chance to do a cannot-miss-star with our first pick, who will be our best pick of the draft.  Do we really want Macc to be pushing through the racks looking for talent or to take the shining star that drops on his plate?

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Trey Flowers just got $90M.  Why the **** do people keep acting like that Pats don't care about pass rush and stock the Oline?  Chandler Jones is still running around sacking people and making money.  You think the Patriots prioritize offensive line?  They have let their LT walk 2 years in a row after winning the super bowl.

They have a QB who can get it off is 2.5 seconds and complete it.  That makes OT less of a priority.  We well see what this guy does in Oakland this year.  The Pats have a hive mentality that Brady has bought into

16 hours ago, Larz said:

Take bosa, credit horseshoe in my ass 

Something about the Bosas bugs me.  I get the impression they will not play with an ingrown toenail.  And their recovery time sucks.  Yet i still would not mind if we draft Nick.

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Patriots have done a good job developing OL and DL. 

Trey Flowers was a 4th round pick that they developed well.  

The Patriots have used first round picks on OL-Isiah Wynn for example.  Solder was a high pick.  Trent Brown was a free agent.

All I was saying was that it did not feel like Allen or Bosa were a guaranteed difference maker for the Jets defense, but that trading down for more picks should be able to solidify an OL that no one feels good about, while also offering the opportunity to fine a WR.

For example, WR are projected to be available in Rd 3, and if the Jets knock of T and C in rds 1 and 2, they can use 3 for a WR. 

But we would need to sign Houston to rush the passer.  He knows it and is waiting for the money.  

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Patriots have done a good job developing OL and DL. 

Trey Flowers was a 4th round pick that they developed well.  

The Patriots have used first round picks on OL-Isiah Wynn for example.  Solder was a high pick.  Trent Brown was a free agent.

All I was saying was that it did not feel like Allen or Bosa were a guaranteed difference maker for the Jets defense, but that trading down for more picks should be able to solidify an OL that no one feels good about, while also offering the opportunity to fine a WR.

For example, WR are projected to be available in Rd 3, and if the Jets knock of T and C in rds 1 and 2, they can use 3 for a WR. 

But we would need to sign Houston to rush the passer.  He knows it and is waiting for the money.  

I get your point. I am just saying that the Pats are not exactly the model I would expect to be able to follow.  

Draft - Josh Allen, Bosa ahould go #1 or 2 which works out for us bc we can draft the player with the higher ceiling.

then Draft the best 2 Linemen available around our picks in the 3rd round (preferably C and OT)

Best CB  available with the 4th

15 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The last time the Jets owned a pick this high (not counting trade ups) was 2006. The Jets made the decision to double up on oline and it turned out to be the best draft in team history. 

If I was Mike McCagnan my two first picks would be the best two OL available (trade down if I could, but if I cant still would pull the trigger at Taylor at 3). 

Taking one of these defensive studs is enticing, but at the end of the day my job is tied to Sam Darnolds success. If it doesnt work out I will still sleep soundly at night knowing that I did everything in my power to give him the support he needed. 

The Jets cannot fix all their needs in one offseason. Get the offense ready this year and work on improving the pass rush and secondary next year. 

If I was the jets Gm, I’d put the re-build of OL as most important in draft, and next yr draft /FA. If I’m mike macagnan I maybe grab a center in 3rd round, and then do nothing about OL next yr ?‍♂️

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think this narrow minded. Tunnel vision maybe. Assuming we don’t pull a rabbit out of the hat, we’re going to have a glaring hole at OLB. we’d be far better (especially with Macc at the helm) taking Bosa or Allen and be done wth it - over trading back and settling for increasingly flawed prospects. If Allen/Bosa are both gone, then yea. But trading back just for trading back’s sake is a foolish if we land a premier pass rusher. That’s far better than a corner and dice roll tackle in rnd 2. 

37 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think this narrow minded. Tunnel vision maybe. Assuming we don’t pull a rabbit out of the hat, we’re going to have a glaring hole at OLB. we’d be far better (especially with Macc at the helm) taking Bosa or Allen and be done wth it - over trading back and settling for increasingly flawed prospects. If Allen/Bosa are both gone, then yea. But trading back just for trading back’s sake is a foolish if we land a premier pass rusher. That’s far better than a corner and dice roll tackle in rnd 2. 

We have a hole at pass rushing olb, we have a hole at oline, maybe two holes, we have a hole at WR, we have a hole at CB.

We have a pick at #3 overall and then a LONG wait.

Are bosa and Allen that good that you pass up the chance at filling multiple holes?

If you are convinced that bosa/allen are khalil mack/Vonn Miller/Garrett..then go for it.  I am not convinced these guys are that safe and that good.

I won;t bitch if we take either one of them but I'd rather have a starting center, a semi decent olb and a chance at a quality wr.

Edit:  Oh and I refuse to plan my draft on the premise that our gm is so awful at 2nd and 3rd rounders that we should ignore them and go for the 'mac can't screw up top 3 pick'

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

So I'm reading this, and it occurs to me... How great a position are the Raiders in as far as the draft?

3 #1'picks and a high #2 this year.

Then 2 more #1's next year? Wow.

Then when they move to Vegas, the expectations of the team will be low which will allow time for the team to grow. 

If I was Mac, I would first do some self scouting and do a no sh*t assessment of my prior drafts.  I would then close my door, turn the lights down in the room, and have a real, self-aware, meditative contemplation of what I had done wrong, and why so many of the players I had drafted were not just underperforming, or "busts", but were complete, abject failures that can't even PLAY in the league as depth, much less as contributors....how much resources I had wasted, and why I was still trying to solve the same problems I had inherited 5 years ago. 

I would then gather myself, do a review of what the entire scouting apparatus of the Jets and the NFL could offer me on the upcoming NFL Draft, and get a feel for what my gut and my instincts told me to do. I would then write that out, give my full report to Heimerdinger, and tell him to do the EXACT F#UCKING OPPOSITE OF WHAT I WROTE.

If I was Mike MacCagnan.....

5 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I completely agree on not reaching for a player. Look at it this way, Jonah Williams (or any of the OL) are largely considered to be the 8th-12th best player in this draft. If you were to take the 8th best player at #3 you'd be giving up 800 points of value on the trade chart, which is equivalent to the #21 overall.

No OL in this draft is worth 2 first round picks. Unless we can trade down the pick should be Bosa/Q Williams/Allen

I just don't buy this. Just because the draft prognosticators have fallen in love with defensive lineman lately, most of whom as pretty low impact btw outside of the very rare birds like Watt and Donald, does not mean that their ratings are either accurate nor predictive and the whole "value" thing is thrown around like people understand it but I doubt they actually do. NFL teams do not rate players in the way these draft guides do as a 1-100 rating. NFL teams stack players in tiers. Sometimes there is an Elite first round tier and sometimes just a first round tier and often there are only 10-15 players in the first round tier. Once the tier is selected the tier is stacked and this done almost always by positional value AND team need. Draft value is borne out of statistical analysis that looks at how likely you are to get a top tier player at a specific position which is FINE for trades but useless for the actual pick. All you want is a player that makes the team and has a good career, and for a Top first round pick you want them to be a pro bowler or better. So if there is an OL that stacks in the first tier, then whether he is picked at 3 or 8 it is NOT a reach.  On any level. This whole draft value argument is just completely bonkers and not rooted in any reality. Bill Polian has stated there is no such thing as a reach if your evaluation suggests he will be a long term starter. Period.

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'd pour myself a large cup of coffee and let someone else make the picks because I suck at drafting players.

I almost guarantee that if you were drafting the last 4 years from some internet mock site you would have better results than mac.

7 hours ago, jack48 said:

Something about the Bosas bugs me.  I get the impression they will not play with an ingrown toenail.  And their recovery time sucks.  Yet i still would not mind if we draft Nick.

Yeah the quitting osu thing bothered me too but I think Williams goes 1 or 2 and when bosa is right he's really right lol

we should take Bosa or Allen. That's it. If we get Williams. That's good too. We need a rusher, that is what you need after a QB of the future.

Now if someone wants us to go back and pick up OL by giving us this year 1 and 2 and 5, and then next year 1. Saddle up we snap up a couple OL, and take some shots on Edge...

BUt unless you get a 1 plus something this year, plus 1st next year. then it is not worth it.

1 of the top guys will be there. I am confident we will not mess this up. Gase and Williams will give good suggestions. Macc finally has some talent evaluators around him. Those two are very well aware of the situation they walked into. I think MAcc picked them because of their ability to identify talent.

I for one I really hope we take the Pass rusher this year with the 1st pick. Just like Leo you take the obvious talent. You dont skip it for need or because it is obvious. Last year we got a little luck but we were in postiion for baker or sam. we were good. This year same thing. We are good. There is absolutely no way to screw this up other than trading back for less that a couple 1st plus lower picks...or just taking some OL with the 3rd pick like suggested by other posters.

Draft day you will see Bosa putting on the Green and White ...or whatever colors of the jersey is.

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get your point. I am just saying that the Pats are not exactly the model I would expect to be able to follow.  

The Pats are not the model to follow - because its not that they let pass rushers or LT's go because they dont want to pay.  They let them go because it sends a message to the other 53 guys that NONE OF YOUR JOBS ARE SECURE.

Thats why they can "develop" guys because they know that if they play well, they will get big money elsewhere.  Do people really think Trent Brown suddenly became a great player and will continue to do so with $40+ million or whatever he got?   Belichick challenges these guys to play their best and because they have so many guys giving their all, it rubs off on everyone and they know they will have the Pats pedigree going into FA and the rest is history....

11 hours ago, freestater said:

Sign Houston and Wisniewski pre draft, giving us a little security at 2 positions of need. At least a year or two of a vet presence. 

On draft day, see what the offers are for #3. If multiple 1st rounders+ are on the table, trade down.

If we make the pick (assuming Allen and Williams are left) I'd have to go with Williams. Hes the best prospect on the board. Should be an immediate impact. . Gives us leverage going forward with Leo's upcoming contract too

If I were Mac...I'd turn over the dirty deeds to freestater.  Then I'd go back to my casting couch and intensely view and probe the candidates for  cheerleading squad.  And make the hardest decisions possible.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We have a hole at pass rushing olb, we have a hole at oline, maybe two holes, we have a hole at WR, we have a hole at CB.

We have a pick at #3 overall and then a LONG wait.

Are bosa and Allen that good that you pass up the chance at filling multiple holes?

If you are convinced that bosa/allen are khalil mack/Vonn Miller/Garrett..then go for it.  I am not convinced these guys are that safe and that good.

I won;t bitch if we take either one of them but I'd rather have a starting center, a semi decent olb and a chance at a quality wr.

Edit:  Oh and I refuse to plan my draft on the premise that our gm is so awful at 2nd and 3rd rounders that we should ignore them and go for the 'mac can't screw up top 3 pick'

I’d be fine with Bosa, but both Allen and Q. Williams give me the creeps because neither guy tested like a freak pass rusher and both of them only put up one big year in college, which usually means they were riding the juice train. I’m all in for the trade down because this team needs a lot of players and the clock is ticking on Darnold’s development. It’d be hard to come away from the draft with Josh Allen, a third round OL Guy, and the tenth WR off the board with the other third. 

You know a lot of people might think I'm crazy for saying this but I wouldn't want Mac to change a thing? He always goes with the BPA and that is a sound strategy as far as I'm concerned. I've always believed in it. Now in some cases it's led Mac to do something stupid like select Verne Troyer. But otherwise he's yielded guys like Jamal Adams and Jamal is an unbelievable player.

My hope is Mac would trade down out of 3 and with increased picks start taking all BPA's on offense.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:10 PM, Beerfish said:

This

Archived