If you were Mike McCagnan what would your draft strategy?

WayneChrebet80

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

So I'm reading this, and it occurs to me... How great a position are the Raiders in as far as the draft?

3 #1'picks and a high #2 this year.

Then 2 more #1's next year? Wow.

They traded a future hall of fame edge rusher in his prime and pro bowl #1 WR to get those extra picks.  

They also have a severely overpaid QB

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

They traded a future hall of fame edge rusher in his prime and pro bowl #1 WR to get those extra picks.  

They also have a severely overpaid QB

The way it played out though, they got Antonio Brown and a #1 pick for Cooper and a 3rd and a 5th. That my friend is lop sided in their favor. Sorry.

Say what you want about trading Mack, they got a ton back for him though. Be fair about that.

Carr is interesting. Is he the FQB everyone thought he was going to be? We'll see. But again, be fair. There are things you can say you don't like about him, but to call him "severely overpaid?" C'mon.

11 hours ago, jack48 said:

except Macc is drafting.  We have the chance to do a cannot-miss-star with our first pick, who will be our best pick of the draft.  Do we really want Macc to be pushing through the racks looking for talent or to take the shining star that drops on his plate?

If you think that bosa or allen or williams are can't miss star players then you pick them.  I don't think they are.  They all have large question marks and this draft after #3 or 4 is very equal quite a ways down.

I refuse to go into the draft saying 'we have to pick the top guy because our gm can't make outside the top 6.'

Strategy has to be accumulating Quarterback hunters who line up as close to the Line of Scrimmage as possible.  It's time to shelf the gimmicks, time to stop bringing blitzes from the 3rd level of the defense.  It's time to close on the QB within 3 seconds of the ball being snapped.

I'm not smart enough to say how big of a difference there is between Josh Allen, Nick Bosa, Rashan Gary, Brian Burns, Clelin Ferrell, etc. but I think we have to come away with one of those guys.  THIS is the draft to get a pass rusher.  It's the most loaded Edge Rusher draft at the top in at least a decade.  Take the gift that this draft is giving!

The best Mac strategy we can employ would be something like this. Lure Mac into a dark room by convincing him there’s film of an underwhelming player that needs to be over drafted. Tie said Mac to a zamboni. Proceed to keep Mac locked up while feeding him Gushers and Cream soda. Let the rest of the front office make the pick. Untie mac 

15 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The Jets need elite level talent. We now have 3 players that can play at an all-pro level: Adams, Bell and Mosley. That's not enough. I would stay at #3 and pick the guy highest on our board. Pick 68 I think would be a good spot for WR (one of the many WRs expected to go in the 2nd is bound to fall). And with pick 93, I would go best available OL.

For the remainder of FA, I would continue to fill the roster with competent veterans. Wiesnieski iOL, Houston Edge, Quinn Edge if he gets cut. I would also consider trading for BJ Finney iOL, and Trae Waynes CB if the price is right.

So something like this would be my approach

Sign: Houston Edge, Quinn Edge, Wiesniewski iOL

Trades: Lee ILB for BJ Finney iOL, Trade Pick 105 for Trae Waynes CB

Draft: 3rd Pick: Quinnen Williams iDL, 68th Pick: JJ Arcega-Whiteside WR, 93rd Pick: Connor McGovern iOL (I used the thedraftnetwork mock draft machine)

If we kept the punter and kickoff guy we could have five all pros.  

Very good chance that Bosa or Allen will be there if Kyler goes 1. You have the chance to get blue chip player you take it, Jets have been taking chances on lower grade players who don't pan out. A good pass rush to cause turnovers also helps a young QB.

13 minutes ago, Shelbyblue said:

Very good chance that Bosa or Allen will be there if Kyler goes 1. You have the chance to get blue chip player you take it, Jets have been taking chances on lower grade players who don't pan out. A good pass rush to cause turnovers also helps a young QB.

Umm... if Kyler goes 1 then it’s 100% Bosa or Allen are there. 

IoKane powder. I bet my life on it. 

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I just don't buy this. Just because the draft prognosticators have fallen in love with defensive lineman lately, most of whom as pretty low impact btw outside of the very rare birds like Watt and Donald, does not mean that their ratings are either accurate nor predictive and the whole "value" thing is thrown around like people understand it but I doubt they actually do. NFL teams do not rate players in the way these draft guides do as a 1-100 rating. NFL teams stack players in tiers. Sometimes there is an Elite first round tier and sometimes just a first round tier and often there are only 10-15 players in the first round tier. Once the tier is selected the tier is stacked and this done almost always by positional value AND team need. Draft value is borne out of statistical analysis that looks at how likely you are to get a top tier player at a specific position which is FINE for trades but useless for the actual pick. All you want is a player that makes the team and has a good career, and for a Top first round pick you want them to be a pro bowler or better. So if there is an OL that stacks in the first tier, then whether he is picked at 3 or 8 it is NOT a reach.  On any level. This whole draft value argument is just completely bonkers and not rooted in any reality. Bill Polian has stated there is no such thing as a reach if your evaluation suggests he will be a long term starter. Period.

You don't pass on the talent of Bosa, Q Williams or Allen for an LT that projects as a G in the NFL. I understand what you are saying, I've made videos about how the draft chart was developed before the salary cap and the rookie pay-scale. I'm well aware it is not a be all end all grading system.

I feel there are 3 supremely talented players in this draft and I think it would be a mistake to select an OL just because it is a need. If the Jets are over the moon and think there is an elite OL that should be taken top 5 then that's fine. I just know that from all the tape I've watched on these prospects I'd feel very uncomfortable passing on these 3.

BPA is always a good strategy in round one (within reason) just ask the Lions fans if they are kicking themselves for taking Eric Ebron over Aaron Donald, even though they had Suh, Fairly, and Mosley. It's been a sour topic for them since that draft.

I'd be prepared to choose between Bosa and Allen, but listen to offers from two teams in particular:

The Raiders at 4, accepting their 2nd and 4th rounders.  If Gruden is smitten with one of those two, i could see this being a real possibility. I take the one they don't. And now have a 2nd rounder. I Pray for rhis scenario. 

The Giants. 6th, and 17th and a 4th rounder.  Take BPA with each of those picks regardless of position. DO NOT reach. 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d be fine with Bosa, but both Allen and Q. Williams give me the creeps because neither guy tested like a freak pass rusher and both of them only put up one big year in college, which usually means they were riding the juice train. I’m all in for the trade down because this team needs a lot of players and the clock is ticking on Darnold’s development. It’d be hard to come away from the draft with Josh Allen, a third round OL Guy, and the tenth WR off the board with the other third. 

Josh Allen athletic profile is similar to Khalil Mack (while being 10+ lbs heavier) and Bradley Chubb (who just had 12 sacks in his rookie year) . 

What exactly do you consider freak pass rusher ? 

The team needs to be built on offense to afford Darnold the most success as quickly as possible.  OL upgrades are a must and WR also needs to be addressed.  No matter who is available at #3, I would prefer the Jets to trade down and accumulate an extra pick or two and then draft an OL or WR with the 1st round pick.  

IF they have to take a player at #3, my order of preference is Bosa, Allen, Williams.  If Williams ends up being the pick (which seems to be the most likely scenario) I will not be happy.  How many interior lineman can the Jets draft in a decade??

What happened in the past is the past.  To suggest we shouldn't take Q based solely on the fact that we drafted Mo, Leo and Sheldon in the past makes no sense.  If there is a need (there is) and a great player is there, you take him.  Should we not have drafted Darnold last year because we whiffed on Hack, Petty, Geno and Sanchez???

2 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

What happened in the past is the past.  To suggest we shouldn't take Q based solely on the fact that we drafted Mo, Leo and Sheldon in the past makes no sense.  If there is a need and a great player is there, you take him.  Should we not have drafted Darnold last year because we whiffed on Hack, Petty, Geno and Sanchez???

We have way bigger needs than an interior DL.  Allen or any edge rusher makes more sense for this team. If Williams is on the board, we should trade down and gather as much draft capital as possible and then draft someone lower in round 1 at a position of need.  

13 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Josh Allen athletic profile is similar to Khalil Mack (while being 10+ lbs heavier) and Bradley Chubb (who just had 12 sacks in his rookie year) . 

What exactly do you consider freak pass rusher ? 

You are correct and I was wrong. I went back and looked at what Allen put up and it wasn’t as terrible as I had thought. 

5 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It’s not great either. Mack comp is delusional.

Not that i’d expect great numbers but i was curious to see what Jaylon Ferguson could have done at the combine given his production. Really bummed that not a whole lot of clarity came from the edge group especially with Allen who might be the pick. Mac doesn’t exactly do well when he has to make difficult choices. 

13 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It’s not great either. Mack comp is delusional.

I think that’s why I thought they were bad numbers on Allen, because none of them stood out. But, they’re passable for an edge guy you’re burning a top five pick on, i guess

4 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Not that i’d expect great numbers but i was curious to see what Jaylon Ferguson could have done at the combine given his production. Really bummed that not a whole lot of clarity came from the edge group especially with Allen who might be the pick. Mac doesn’t exactly do well when he has to make difficult choices. 

I read that he had to run the three-cone eight times because he kept falling down. That’s not good when you keep hitting the deck on an agility test

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You are correct and I was wrong. I went back and looked at what Allen put up and it wasn’t as terrible as I had thought. 

Lol I’m still not sold 100%  though like I am with Quinnen. he won a lot against easier competition and he had bunch sacks he literally wasn’t even touched . His technique and his hand placement definitely gonna need some work . But I Wouldn’t be mad if he was the pick . 

Archived