Can the defense go from good to great with the 3rd overall pick

Maxman

If the Jets stand still at 3 who takes this defense from good to great?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets stand still at 3 who takes this defense from good to great?

I don't think this poll was done correctly. People forget Rex's 2009 and 2010 defenses were number one and number four. This all without a pass rush. So my thinking says the Jets still can trade down and with Williams pulling the strings have a top 5 defense. It's all about personnel and the Jets already have it.

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I don't think this poll was done correctly. People forget Rex's 2009 and 2010 defenses were number one and number four. This all without a pass rush. So my thinking says the Jets still can trade down and with Williams pulling the strings have a top 5 defense. It's all about personnel and the Jets already have it.

I just have a feeling that a lot of Jets fans are going to be saying, “oh so that’s what real coaches do, game plan, strategize, make adjustments...both sides of the ball”...next year...”it’s been so long, I forgot what that looked like”.

To be honest, Bosa scares me the most. Poor man’s Clay Matthews and injury prone. High bust factor.

Hate the thought of another interior DL.

I will be surprised if anybody offers enough value to trade out.

Right now, I take Allen but reserve the right to change my mind 50 times between now and draft day.

Revis had a lot to do with those rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Good?  Dude please.  Can't vote after that.

Crappy to decent might be a better metric.

As for the players listed.

Bosa, Allen.  That is it.

If you don't think the defense is going to be good under Williams with Henry Anderson coming back and CJ Mosely in the mix, well then just wait and see.  Plus the draft day additions. And the pressure being off the defense with a real offense. Jets fans will be pleasantly surprised.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

If you don't think the defense is going to be good under Williams with Henry Anderson coming back and CJ Mosely in the mix, well then just wait and see.  Plus the draft day additions. And the pressure being off the defense with a real offense. Jets fans will be pleasantly surprised.

Getting rid of Skrine, Lee and Bowles just by itself upgrades the D

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Getting rid of Skrine, Lee and Bowles just by itself upgrades the D

I am not as down on Skrine and Lee as others. But getting rid of Bowles and Kacy is a huge upgrade for sure.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Ya think?  He should have allowed one to choose more than one option, and instead of "Neither", it should have been "None of the Above". 

@Maxman do you even poll, bro?

No, I really don't. If you all saw how long it took me to post what I did the already shaky level of confidence I have from the masses here would go way down.

Question - If Nick's last name wasn't Bosa would he still be considered the #1 guy?  I think he'd be Top 5 but there's some "wind at his back" having the Bosa name IMO.

I do think a realistic discussion of his shortcomings is warranted in a Draft that easily has 5 pass rushers worthy of being taken in the Top 12.

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Question - If Nick's last name wasn't Bosa would he still be considered the #1 guy?  I think he'd be Top 5 but there's some "wind at his back" having the Bosa name IMO.

I do think a realistic discussion of his shortcomings is warranted in a Draft that easily has 5 pass rushers worthy of being taken in the Top 12.

I think it does raise his profile for sure but appropriately so because bloodlines do count for something plus having a dad and brother know the ins and outs of the NFL and also teach him technique (supposedly he has great hand fighting like a samurai) - these things should give him a little boost.  He's a refined pass rusher and as good an athlete of his brother who was #3 overall and is/was worthy of being a first overall player in his own right.

21 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I think it does raise his profile for sure but appropriately so because bloodlines do count for something plus having a dad and brother know the ins and outs of the NFL and also teach him technique (supposedly he has great hand fighting like a samurai) - these things should give him a little boost.  He's a refined pass rusher and as good an athlete of his brother who was #3 overall and is/was worthy of being a first overall player in his own right.

image.gif

40 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Major reservations:

• He seems like a real "me" guy. All that counts are his stats.
  • Can he stay on the field? 
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer

Sure doesn't seem like he ought to be the first overall pick in the draft.

Archived