Update on Justin Houston

Patriot Killa

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Found this interesting

Smith got 4 years 66m from the Packers

I wonder if this was before or after Barr agreed to sign here. It’d be interesting if the Jets were after Smith even after thinking they were gonna get Barr.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Hmmmm, if I'm Houston on the last leg of my career and potentially my last contract, which team would I choose?

Answer: not the Jets. 

Terrell Suggs, who's 36 years old going on 37 next October, took the money from the Arizona freaking Cardinals who finished with the worst record in football. Why can't Justin Houston, who just turned 30 last January, take the Jets money? I think the Jets are a tad better situation than the Cardinals, and yes, it's about the money. 

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Found this interesting

Smith got 4 years 66m from the Packers

$16.5M per year is a lot of coin.  I couldn't see Macc going there...even after the Barr debacle, but especially since the Jets could land a guy like Josh Allen or Nick Bosa for about $3M per year for 4 years as a rookie.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

$16.5M per year is a lot of coin.  I couldn't see Macc going there...even after the Barr debacle, but especially since the Jets could land a guy like Josh Allen or Nick Bosa for about $3M per year for 4 years as a rookie.

Yeah Pass rush isnt the need it usually seems to be because of the pick and the possibilities there. I think they can get away with a lower tier pass rusher on the side. 

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He spent even more than that at the lesser-need (and less premium) position of ILB, so I wouldn't consider it particularly surprising if he was willing to get into a bidding war that drove that price that high for an OLB.  Granted, Mosley is certainly more highly regard at his position than Smith is at his, but both the positional value and level of desperation can quickly factor into the offers that will be made.

18 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Terrell Suggs, who's 36 years old going on 37 next October, took the money from the Arizona freaking Cardinals who finished with the worst record in football. Why can't Justin Houston, who just turned 30 last January, take the Jets money? I think the Jets are a tad better situation than the Cardinals, and yes, it's about the money. 

Not really seeing the comparison.  Suggs doenst care about winning after 15 years in the league and Super Bowl.  Houston still has time left in his career and no Super Bowl.  I think those other teams have a better shot at winning one before the Jets.  And I would assume that would factor into his decision making.  As we've seen in the past; it's not all about the money.  The Jets have been shunned numerous times for a lesser deal to play for a "winner".

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not really seeing the comparison.  Suggs doenst care about winning after 15 years in the league and Super Bowl.  Houston still has time left in his career and no Super Bowl.  I think those other teams have a better shot at winning one before the Jets.  And I would assume that would factor into his decision making.  As we've seen in the past; it's not all about the money.  The Jets have been shunned numerous times for a lesser deal to play for a "winner".

Money is #1 on the vast majority of players lists, with very few exceptions.  However, I would agree that once the offers become anywhere close to each other, then there are other factors like that which definitely play into it.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Money is #1 on the vast majority of players lists, with very few exceptions.  However, I would agree that once the offers become anywhere close to each other, then there are other factors like that which definitely play into it.

People say this all the time but it sure doesnt seem that way.  We've seen it literally every single year Mac has been here.  Players turns down a better offer from Mac to play for a better team.  And it doesnt just happen here...it happens to other teams too.  You hear about players not wanting to visit this team or that team because they dont like the scheme, location, coaching staff, etc.  I'm not going to argue money is the #1 driver but it doesnt seem to hold as much weight as many think.

Players arent that much different than your average job seeker, people leave money on the table all the time for various reasons.   

19 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

No matter where he signs he's going to uproot his family and move to another city. He'll choose the team that gives him the most money, or like you said if the money is close he'll choose the best place he feels he could win at. Jets should give him the best offer he can't refuse. Will they? We shall see.

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

No matter where he signs he's going to uproot his family and move to another city. He'll choose the team that gives him the most money, or like you said if the money is close he'll choose the best place he feels he could win at. Jets should give him the best offer he can't refuse. Will they? We shall see.

I'm hoping he picks the Jets. It would help to soften the blow of the Barr debacle.

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Correct ! If he didn't care about the money and wanted a decent shot at a ring he just could have re-signed with KC. It's all about the Benjamins.

Exactly.  He's not willing to sign with his home team, stay in his home, with his coaches and teammates and play for one of the favorites too reach the SB but it's not about the money? 

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

People say this all the time but it sure doesnt seem that way.  We've seen it literally every single year Mac has been here.  Players turns down a better offer from Mac to play for a better team.  And it doesnt just happen here...it happens to other teams too.  You hear about players not wanting to visit this team or that team because they dont like the scheme, location, coaching staff, etc.  I'm not going to argue money is the #1 driver but it doesnt seem to hold as much weight as many think.

Players arent that much different than your average job seeker, people leave money on the table all the time for various reasons.   

Right, but just like your average job seeker, they leave some money, but very rarely a lot.  While there are certainly numerous instances of players taking a discount of sorts, the overwhelming majority of the time that also comes along with a late offer from the other team that puts the numbers close enough together for the player to feel better about it.  Considering the major gap that exists between career length of NFL players and your regular workers, there's rightfully a whole lot less motivation to be confident that if you pass on an offer now, you'll have the opportunity to reevaluate that decision and find a new job at any time.  In the players' cases, their careers could very easily be over by then.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that there aren't multiple factors at play in all of these moves, but simply that an offer the player hates is far more impossible to overcome than their feelings about a team or town.  Besides, I would also hardly use Maccagnan's incompetence as a measure for the standard behavior of NFL players.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yeah yeah you said Bell wasn't coming either we got it...

On 3/19/2019 at 12:01 PM, mrcoops said:

Will probably have to overpay him, similar to what we did with Mosley, if we are to pry him away from playoff level teams.

Give him 3 years, with the first 2 guaranteed. Guy is still a productive pass-rusher, and would be the best we have had since Johnny Abe.

Then draft Josh Allen and have dual pass rush threats the like the Jets haven't seen since Gastineau and Klecko.

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Because Macc probably made a low ball offer

On 3/19/2019 at 11:01 AM, mrcoops said:

Will probably have to overpay him, similar to what we did with Mosley, if we are to pry him away from playoff level teams.

Give him 3 years, with the first 2 guaranteed. Guy is still a productive pass-rusher, and would be the best we have had since Johnny Abe.

The Jets with Houston will be a playoff level team

Archived