Jamison Crowder says Sam Darnold had an effect on his decision

JetsMetsDevilsPA

Jamison Crowder says Sam Darnold had an effect on his decision

The New York Jets have been one of the most active teams in free agency this offseason. They look like they could be one of the most improved teams in 2019, and it goes much deeper than just adding running back Le'Veon Bell.

The Jets have an exciting receiver coming to town in the form of Jamison Crowder, and he's a speedster that should help Sam Darnold's development by making his job a little easier.

“The value I bring to the field is being a guy [Darnold] can target,” Crowder said via the Jets' official website. “Mostly, I’ve had success in this league in the middle of the field using my short-area quickness, being able to find zones in the defense and win man-to-man matchups. That’s what I think I can bring to this offense and I’m excited. I’m looking forward to it.”

Crowder had several teams interested in him when it became apparent the Washington Redskins were going to let him walk, and he looked at each potential quarterback who he would be playing with before he made his decision.

Darnold really started to find his footing in the NFL towards the end of his rookie year, and he looks like someone who could end up developing into a very special player.

“I think he’s a great player,” Crowder said of Darnold. “Last year, he was young. Just from what I’ve seen, I definitely think he’ll be a great player, great quarterback in this league. It also had an effect on me to come here. He’s very talented and last year he was able to get his feet wet, get some experience. I’m looking forward for him to have a big season this year.”

Crowder is part of an impressive free agency class the Jets have brought in which also includes superstar linebacker C.J. Mosley. All of a sudden, the Jets appear to be a team to look out for, and Crowder is excited to be a part of a new beginning.

“You have guys like Le’Veon Bell and C.J. Mosley, guys that’re proven in this league and are Pro Bowl guys, top-tier guys,” Crowder said. “I’m just glad to be a part of the team and being teammates with those guys. Just looking forward to coming out, working every day and getting ready to play with those guys.”

Crowder recorded just 388 receiving yards and two touchdowns this past season, but he played in just nine games due to injury. His best season was in 2016, when he racked up 847 yards and seven touchdowns. For those worried about his injury history, while this year was tough, he missed just one game in the three seasons leading up to 2018.

The Jets plan on having Quincy Enunwa and Crowder play big roles out wide this season, and this offense should be very fun to watch.

Love the Crowder signing.  I think he fits what Gase wants to do really well.  Get the ball out fast to a guy who can find the hole in the zone or beat press coverage all day. Once Q went down last year, the Jets had nobody they could get the ball to fast and make something happen.  Crowder excels in that role.  With Robby taking the top of the D and Bell being a safety blanket out of the backfield, you really have to think Gase can get creative with Q, Crowder and Herndon. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Love the Crowder signing.  I think he fits what Gase wants to do really well.  Get the ball out fast to a guy who can find the hole in the zone or beat press coverage all day. Once Q went down last year, the Jets had nobody they could get the ball to fast and make something happen.  Crowder excels in that role.  With Robby taking the top of the D and Bell being a safety blanket out of the backfield, you really have to think Gase can get creative with Q, Crowder and Herndon. 

Realistic optimism. You go boy.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Realistic optimism. You go boy.

I'm cautiously optimistic.  Gase as a personality worries me big time.  We could easily see some of the guys we are expecting to contribute in a big way totally alienated from the offense/team.  It's kind of his thing. 

5 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Love that in the same article Crowder talks about how much he brings to the middle of the field, and at the same time it says we’re planning on him being out wide. 

Excellent.

Jeez, and I thought I was a pessimist.  I don't think you can read too much into the random wording used by a sports blogger in a throw away comment used at the end.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm cautiously optimistic.  Gase as a personality worries me big time.  We could easily see some of the guys we are expecting to contribute in a big way totally alienated from the offense/team.  It's kind of his thing. 

Yes, but the street runs both ways and if players get on the bad side of the HC especially we have to fault them as well. 

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah, I think Crowder actually has a decent shot to the best deal of their "big name" moves this offseason, from a long-term / ROI perspective.

39 minutes ago, JiF said:

Shhhhhhh

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed. And Sam gets the ball out quickly. Between Crowder and Q AND LEVEON BELL(!) I’m excited for a lot of shallow crosses, bubble screens, dump offs galore with the occasional shot downfield to Robby ‘keeping them honest’ Anderson

56 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We could certainly do worse than fielding Enunwa, Anderson, Crowder, Herndon and Bell in the passing game.  Objectively speaking, that's a very, very compelling set of complementary pass catchers doing different things once the ball is snapped.

I still think we need another receiver, mostly because I don't trust Enunwa to stay healthy. 

If you told me Q was going to play 16 games this year, I'd say we are all set. 

53 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We could certainly do worse than fielding Enunwa, Anderson, Crowder, Herndon and Bell in the passing game.  Objectively speaking, that's a very, very compelling set of complementary pass catchers doing different things once the ball is snapped.

I like our receiving options a lot. I know everyone wants a true #1 WR. Not me.

Having an elite #1 WR usually doesn't work out well. They normally come with a heavy price tag, big egos and are headaches. It was the case back in the day with guys like T. Owens & Moss and we still see it with guys like Antonio and Odell.

2 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I like our receiving options a lot. I know everyone wants a true #1 WR. Not me.

Having an elite #1 WR usually doesn't work out well. They normally come with a heavy price tag, big egos and are headaches. It was the case back in the day with guys like T. Owens & Moss and we still see it with guys like Antonio and Odell.

IF our weapons stay relatively healthy we have an excellent group.  Dynamic RB out of the backfield, emerging TE, deep threat in Anderson, excellent slot guy in Crowder and another guy that can do it all in Enunwa.  This O can be really, really good.

I like this. But there has to be more early shots and Robby. Gotta catch opponents off guard.

I still think we need another receiver, mostly because I don't trust Enunwa to stay healthy. 

If you told me Q was going to play 16 games this year, I'd say we are all set. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.  Like I mentioned a few times I truly believe Darnold has the type of talent that can excel without having a big name receiver.  Robby Quincy Herndon and Crowder all seem to fit his style perfectly. Adding Bell also takes pressure off too

2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

It will be nice if your #2 QB could reach the level of success your #1 QB is experiencing, wouldn’t that be great?  

Indeed it would. If Sam could get a competent GM who knows what the heck he's doing and a HC who plays in favor of his strengths then I think he'll be okay. 

The Jets got to fire Macc though. 

I do hope that Freddie Kitchens keeps those guys grounded and on their game. There's ALOT of chirping going on around Baker and crew, and I hope that they dont drink the kool-aid. Alot of SB contender talk and that's very premeture given that just 2 seasons ago they didnt know how to win a game and they havent won their division since 1989. Sometimes it's best to beat the folks in your own division before looking forward to counting Superbowls. 

In that respect, Sam has an advantage given that the hype simply isnt there and he can simply play the game and do his best. 

I REALLY like that Jamison Crowder pick up. I think that was as huge as the Bell signing it terms of what he means to the QB. 

I really hope that Adam Gase is the right guy and really puts Sam in position to have a great year. I've really calmed down on my opinion of Gase and decided to give him the benefit of the doubt given that I have no choice anyway. But I really would like to see the Jets winning again. It's been almost a decade 

9 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'd say nice things about anyone on this board for a few million dollars.

You didn't expect him to say, "Meh I would have rather gone to a team with a more proven history, and a QB already in his prime. None of those teams offered me more than $6 million but the Jets topped that by 50% so there wasn't much of a decision." 

They all tend to say how excited they are to be here immediately after signing by any team, and repeat all the things the team said to them when trying to sell them on the bright future to come.

There's nothing wrong with it, of course, but honestly can anyone point to a player who hinted at being miserable over recently signing with any team? Even friggin Jason Taylor, lifelong Jets-hater that he was and probably still is, expressed excitement to play here when everyone knew the only reason why is we were his only bidder and he was the only UFA we could afford by league rules. 

This receiver is going to be a weapon in this offense.  He fits exactly into what Gase likes to do with his receivers.  In fact they all do.  Herndon, Enunwa, Robbie, and Crowder, along with Bell gives us plenty.  Burnett will also contribute.  Another tall, speedy  receiver would be the icing on the cake, but I agree that, barring injury,  is not a necessity.  That's why developing a youngster, see what's in the draft, or a pickup, looks to be viable, smart option. 

Archived