jetstream23

Really starting to smell like Murray to Arizona at #1

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26309045/source-cards-no-1-pick-meet-murray

647435579_ScreenShot2019-03-19at1_02_27PM.png.62305c3b719649b84c39b1223c1d8b59.png

Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray is meeting with Arizona Cardinalscoach Kliff Kingsbury and general manager Steve Keim in Oklahoma on Tuesday, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The Cardinals have the No. 1 pick in the draft, and Murray, the former Oklahoma quarterback, is the favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick.

The Cardinals took quarterback Josh Rosen with their first-round pick (No. 10) in last year's draft. He appeared in 14 games (13 starts) during his rookie season, completing 55.2 percent of his passes and throwing for 2,278 yards with 11 touchdowns and 14 interceptions for a Cardinals team that won just three games.

Asked last month at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis whether Rosen is the Cardinals' quarterback, Keim said, "Is Josh Rosen our quarterback? Yeah, he is, right now, for sure."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported teams made overtures into Rosen's availability at the combine, but the Cardinals did not show any signs they were open to trading him at that time.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

What a blow to Rosens ego though..

And he was already ticked about being the 4th QB taken.  I vividly remember him doing an interview on ESPN of NFLN about 5 minutes after he was drafted and when asked how he felt he said, "Motivated.....very motivated" without a smile on his face, meaning he felt disrespected and was motivated to prove people wrong about him.  If he gets traded now he'll have even more motivation.

I still think the guy can be very good but he obviously needs better protection than he got in Arizona.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I still think Rosen's getting traded to the Giants...

That would be my guess.  The question is what kind of pick?  The Giants have 2 in the 1st Round, but I don't think they'd part with either of them for Rosen.  Maybe their pick in Round 2 (37th overall)?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Sam Darnold being interviewed on Draft night, 5 minutes after being picked by the Jets: "It is what it is..." and he wasn't smiling either. LOL

These kids are QBs, not politicians.

True....but I think that was in reaction to not going #1, not so much about the Jets but I could be wrong.  He wore a brown tie and brown pocket square in his suit.  He was expecting to go first that night, no doubt about it.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Fitzgerald quote is a lot like what teammates say about Aaron Rodgers, in that he’s a decent teammate but you’re not going to be taking warm showers with him in the wee hours of the morning. It’s my opinion that, like Rodgers, Rosen has a Cali-bro aspiness to his personality that rubs people the wrong way, but it’s not flagrantly a$$hole technique 

This.  You probably don't want to go out for a beer with the guy, you wouldn't introduce him to your sister.  But, he wants to win, he wants to be great, he wants to lead, and his confidence can inspire those around him to say, "Hey, if this guy is confident we can make this play and drive the ball down the field then I think we can."  Aaron Rodgers is the perfect analogy.  Why do I care if he's a little douchey off the field if he's ballin' out on the field, playing injured and holding his teammates accountable.

With all that said.....Rosen in NY with the media would be a concern for me as an owner/GM.  I could see the risk of a Matt Harvey type situation with him at some point. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

let's be real Shane the Jets wish they won the Kliff Kingsbury sweepstakes 

no one in America would rather Adam Gase be their team's HC than KK 

This is TBD.

You could be 100% right but that answer won't come for a few years once KK has shown what he can do in the NFL.

Will he be the next Andy Reid, Sean McVay, etc.....or is he just another former college coach with an offensive mind who will be as successful as Steve Spurrier and Chip Kelly in the NFL?  Neither you nor I can answer that right now.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, bitonti said:

sure but what scenario would have to play out for you to believe Adam Gase was a good hire

He won with Peyton Manning.  He lost with Ryan Tannehill.

The scenario that plays out where I believe Gase was a good hire is that he wins football games with the Jets.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Rams won’t make the playoffs next year

The trendy worshipping of McVay will somehow vanish

Young whiz kid offensive coaches are such a 2018 trend.  The Cardinals are a year late.

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yeah thats the start of Gase getting himself out.

The owner wanted to rebuild and tank.  Gase wanted to spend and get some veteran leadership.  That was the difference and it's the reason why Gase was the very last HC terminated.  There are some teams that anxiously await the end of the season and Black Monday (like the Jets knowing in November that Bowles was done)....and there are other teams where "creative differences" and divergent approaches to team-building force a breakup.  The latter is the situation with Gase.

Let's also remember that the Jets apparently did not offer a job to Kingsbury....or McCarthy or Rhule.  They made a conscious decision to hire Gase by all accounts.  Let's hope that Gase getting out of Miami turns into the equivalent of Belichick getting out of Cleveland.

• Upvote 2

It's gonna be Murray.

Cardinals GM Steve Kiem and HC Kliff Kingsbury already met with Murray previously in Oklahoma.  This second meeting with Murray and his agent is taking place today in Arizona.

IMG_5837.thumb.jpg.07144ba00a75fe1a26fed66e7858173a.jpg

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Interesting.

Yes.  I have a hard time thinking this is a smokescreen.  You don't meet with a player and his agent twice, including having them fly out to Arizona, when there isn't much motivation for hiding your intentions.  What would the Cardinals say to Murray, "Well, we're not sure if you'll be there when we pick but we like you"?  They have the #1 pick.  If it's not going to be Murray then the only reason to do this is to trade down and try to get a team to come up for him.  Why else would you continue to flirt with the #1 QB prospect when it can only damage the situation with your current QB, Josh Rosen?

This is really good news for the Jets IMO.  It hopefully kills the chance that BOTH Bosa and Allen are gone by #3.  I do think that was an unlikely scenario but there are some scenarios out there with Bosa going #1 to AZ and Allen #2 to SF, although I think SF is leaning towards Q Williams.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CTM said:

If the Cards pick Murry at 1, and we pick 3 how does it only "hopefully kills the chance that BOTH Bosa and Allen are gone by #3".

If the Cardinals take Murray then math says that Bosa and Allen can't both be gone by #3 as there is only more player being selected before the Jets.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

am I the only one who would prefer Williams or even Oliver over Allen at 3? No disrespect to Josh Allen it's just not about edge pressure anymore. Especially considering Brady is still upright winning super bowls 

If the Jets were playing a 4-3 I'd love QW or Oliver (and an accompanying down 4-3 DE), but we're obviously not given everything said and done in FA.  Pressure up the middle has beaten Brady dating back to the Giants Super Bowls, Ravens wins with Ngata, etc.  But this isn't about pocket passers anymore and flushing them from the pocket.  It's about corralling mobile QBs like Mahomes and Mayfield, guys who throw on the run, etc.  How many times have we seen Leo get pressure up the middle only for a QB to easily escape sideways and the Jets have nobody outside to get him?  I want our next John Abraham type.  Reliance on the blitz, bringing safeties up, etc. aren't things we want to do every single 3rd down.  It's just my opinion but I really want an organic outside pass rush, a weapon on D that an offense has to account for on every passing down.

So, to answer your question specifically....I doubt you're the only one who would prefer Oliver or QW over Allen, but I'm not one of those guys.  If all 3 are on the board at #3 I personally would take Allen.

58 minutes ago, CTM said:

Exactly, which is why I was wondering why you would be "hoping" one would be available 

Ah, maybe bad sentence structure on my part.  The hope is that Murray actually does end up going first which now seems likely but not guaranteed.

14 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Where would he land if Arizona doesn’t take him?

Interesting question. I would think there could be a trade up or he could simply get grabbed at #4 by the Raiders. This would be especially likely if Bosa, Allen, and Williams are all gone by 4.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company