Really starting to smell like Murray to Arizona at #1

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26309045/source-cards-no-1-pick-meet-murray

647435579_ScreenShot2019-03-19at1_02_27PM.png.62305c3b719649b84c39b1223c1d8b59.png

Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray is meeting with Arizona Cardinalscoach Kliff Kingsbury and general manager Steve Keim in Oklahoma on Tuesday, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The Cardinals have the No. 1 pick in the draft, and Murray, the former Oklahoma quarterback, is the favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick.

The Cardinals took quarterback Josh Rosen with their first-round pick (No. 10) in last year's draft. He appeared in 14 games (13 starts) during his rookie season, completing 55.2 percent of his passes and throwing for 2,278 yards with 11 touchdowns and 14 interceptions for a Cardinals team that won just three games.

Asked last month at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis whether Rosen is the Cardinals' quarterback, Keim said, "Is Josh Rosen our quarterback? Yeah, he is, right now, for sure."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported teams made overtures into Rosen's availability at the combine, but the Cardinals did not show any signs they were open to trading him at that time.

• Upvote 3

This is a no-brainer for the Cardinals... Once he declared I think it was fairly obvious he was an option for KK.  What I am surprised with is that they tanked Rosen's value so much before the draft... I would expect Rosen to be traded sooner rather then later after Murray's private workout.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

This is a no-brainer for the Cardinals... Once he declared I think it was fairly obvious he was an option for KK.  What I am surprised with is that they tanked Rosen's value so much before the draft... I would expect Rosen to be traded sooner rather then later after Murray's private workout.

I wouldn't be so quick to trade Rosen if I'm AZ. Murray gets hurt training or something and they don't have a QB

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

What a blow to Rosens ego though..

And he was already ticked about being the 4th QB taken.  I vividly remember him doing an interview on ESPN of NFLN about 5 minutes after he was drafted and when asked how he felt he said, "Motivated.....very motivated" without a smile on his face, meaning he felt disrespected and was motivated to prove people wrong about him.  If he gets traded now he'll have even more motivation.

I still think the guy can be very good but he obviously needs better protection than he got in Arizona.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I still think Rosen's getting traded to the Giants...

That would be my guess.  The question is what kind of pick?  The Giants have 2 in the 1st Round, but I don't think they'd part with either of them for Rosen.  Maybe their pick in Round 2 (37th overall)?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

What a blow to Rosens ego though..

Maybe, but you can almost look at it like the situation we had with Teddy last year. Once we drafted Sam (and signed McCown), it was assumed he was trade bait. Some said we pulled the trigger on the trade with the Saints too soon. 

There's no rush to trade him (if you're AZ) unless someone blows them away with an offer

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That would be my guess.  The question is what kind of pick?  The Giants have 2 in the 1st Round, but I don't think they'd part with either of them for Rosen.  Maybe their pick in Round 2.

Unless they like somebody else in this years draft better.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That would be my guess.  The question is what kind of pick?  The Giants have 2 in the 1st Round, but I don't think they'd part with either of them for Rosen.  Maybe their pick in Round 2 (37th overall)?

I think it will be for number 37...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Cards, they have a long history of doing stupid things.  I feel sorry for their fans, they love their team, continually frustrated with ownership. 

Remind you of any other fans you've gotten to know recently??  I looked back that the trade last year Cards make with Raiders to move up. They gave up a 3rd and a 5th, basically needed 250 pts to go from 15 to 10. Not anything crippling. The question is, who is running this team?  Is it the GM, Keim, who I think has a pretty decent reputation as a talent evaluator, or is it this years version of Jimmy Neutron, this KK guy, who has never coached a down in the NFL, and doesn't really seem to have had much success in college?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I wouldn't be so quick to trade Rosen if I'm AZ. Murray gets hurt training or something and they don't have a QB

True... so you are going to wait till when?? Get a 2020 1st rounder in August... Cardinals aren't winning a superbowl with or without Murray... So you trade Rosen or don't trade Rosen... the value won't change this year if he doesn't start. If Cardinals don't trade Rosen before the draft it may be harder for them to get fair value.

I definitely feel like Murray to Arizona is more than smoke. If it's not, they have done a bizarre job of making their current QB feel unwanted for no reason.

Personally, I've never been sold on Rosen's pro potential and I think Arizona decided quickly that he isn't the long-term answer for them.

I suspect he gets traded for less than a 1st round pick by draft day.

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

True... so you are going to wait till when?? Get a 2020 1st rounder in August... Cardinals aren't winning a superbowl with or without Murray... So you trade Rosen or don't trade Rosen... the value won't change this year if he doesn't start. If Cardinals don't trade Rosen before the draft it may be harder for them to get fair value.

Possibly. His value, based on reports, is low now. I hate selling an asset when its value is low. If Rosen has a solid preseason and a team suffers an injury at QB, they can get more. What if Murray struggles? 

Will be interesting to see how it plays out

21 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Maybe, but you can almost look at it like the situation we had with Teddy last year. Once we drafted Sam (and signed McCown), it was assumed he was trade bait. Some said we pulled the trigger on the trade with the Saints too soon. 

There's no rush to trade him (if you're AZ) unless someone blows them away with an offer

If you're ARZ, unless youre 1000% sure there's no chance of Murray changing his mind, then you hang on to Rosen till draft day. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

Remind you of any other fans you've gotten to know recently??  I looked back that the trade last year Cards make with Raiders to move up. They gave up a 3rd and a 5th, basically needed 250 pts to go from 15 to 10. Not anything crippling. The question is, who is running this team?  Is it the GM, Keim, who I think has a pretty decent reputation as a talent evaluator, or is it this years version of Jimmy Neutron, this KK guy, who has never coached a down in the NFL, and doesn't really seem to have had much success in college?

When USC hired KK, it was reported he was excited about the guys in the QB room....none of those guys are what one would call “air raid” QBs.  It was also reported he would taylor his offense ot fit the personnel.  KK sought out the USC job, knowing the talent of our players.  He was the one that recommended Graham Harrell as OC.

Maybe KK thought/thinks Josh in no way could fit in the offensive system he wants to run?

6 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Possibly. His value, based on reports, is low now. I hate selling an asset when its value is low. If Rosen has a solid preseason and a team suffers an injury at QB, they can get more. What if Murray struggles? 

Will be interesting to see how it plays out

I get it... not sure how Rosen would deal with that dynamic... They are so different in terms of style that you would almost have to teach two different systems to keep them both.  I also think the reports that Rosen's value is low right now is sports writers forcing narratives... I would be surprised if they don't get a high 2nd ++ or a 1st rounder for Rosen... In reality 4 years of control and a first round QB is going to demand a haul no matter how bad he looked... 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If you're ARZ, unless youre 1000% sure there's no chance of Murray changing his mind, then you hang on to Rosen till draft day. 

The A's get off to a 2-15 start, their CF platoon is hitting a combined. 145, 1 hr, 6 RbI's. A week before the draft, they are in KC to play the Royals, and it gets out that Murray is out there to have dinner with Billy Beane. ? You mean something like that?

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

And he was already ticked about being the 4th QB taken.  I vividly remember him doing an interview on ESPN of NFLN about 5 minutes after he was drafted and when asked how he felt he said, "Motivated.....very motivated" without a smile on his face, meaning he felt disrespected and was motivated to prove people wrong about him.  If he gets traded now he'll have even more motivation.

I still think the guy can be very good but he obviously needs better protection than he got in Arizona.

Sam Darnold being interviewed on Draft night, 5 minutes after being picked by the Jets: "It is what it is..." and he wasn't smiling either. LOL

These kids are QBs, not politicians.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1