Would you trade our #1 next year...

BCJet

11 hours ago, BCJet said:

For Miami's pick at 13?

Next year's draft should be "better" then this year because you have some skill position guys and Tua.  And its clear that Miami, wants to do a full tank and is trying to acquire picks in next years draft to ensure they have the ammo to move up if necessary.

If we could take a pass rusher or QW at 3 and then take someone like Cody Ford, Jonah Williams or Bradbury at 13, even if they played a different position from where they wind up (RT for Ford or Jonah until Shell comes off the pup), or in the case of Bradbury sat for a year to develop and get stronger, is it worth it?

I would trade next years #1 for their next years pick. 

Even if you discount the present value vs future value idea (picks today being more valuable than picks next year), the proposition comes down to a bet that this Jets team will be no worse than 19th overall this year.  I think we will not be picking in the top 13 next year.

Then there is the overall comparison between the quality of the first round talent next year vs the talent that is available this year (I have no idea what draftniks think about that one).

Um... yes I would do the deal.  Assuming the overall quality of the first round talent is similar, I would make a bet on the Jets to be better than 19th overall and then there is the idea that a pick today is worth more than a similar pick next year.

Not sure Miami would do that deal.  Both sides would likely come in for heavy criticism.

<edited to add>

...Plus you know that aside from the Giants, Miami might be top of the list of teams that we do not want to help out because we would need to live with that forever.  Yes, even more than the Pats the Dolphins are closer to the top of that list.  We should probably stick to giving GMs to them and having them send us their coaches.

10 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree, but if Sam is for real,  we have a 2-3 year window before his contract crushes the cap and limits the teams ability to improve, this is the time - get it right or back to the drawing board, can't watch it go bye, time to Go 

I don't  agree with thos 2 year window BS. Did GB not have good teams with Aaron  Rogers after his rookie deal expired? What about NO and Brees? The Chargers  and Rivers? Steelers and Ben? It's totally possible to win now and later, the key is the QB and we have that. 

14 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Ha.  That's GreenBeans   The S is what separates us.  Other than that we are all but Identical.  

Chinese proverb (edited to fit this situation):

“A journey of a thousand greenbeans begins with a single greenbean”. 

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Why in the world would Miami do that?  That would be beyond foolish for them.  

Because they want to maximize their assets for 2020 to ensure they can move up for the QB they want.

I'm not confident enough that we'll be good that I'd move next years first, nor am I in love with anyone likely to be available at 13.

I would trade our first next year for someone’s low first/high second this year.  

Would have to figure out the pick math as to extra picks on either side. 

We can throw in Darron Lee.  Use the pick to draft a Center. 

Basically it’s a bet the Jets would be picking much lower next year. 

Archived