Jump to content
BobbyFlay99

Sterling Sheppard

Recommended Posts

I don't get all of the hate regarding Sterling Shepard.  He is a very good receiver.  Certainly not a third round draft pick, which is what he is being portrayed as by many here.  Some facts about Sterling Shepard.  Last year he was the 25th leading receiver in the league in yardage.  That puts him higher on the list than the following players.  Emanuel Sanders, Julian Edelman, Alshon Jeffrey, Mohamed Sanu,  Adam Humphries, Robbie Anderson, Allen Robinson, DeShawn Jackson, Jordy Nelson, Calvin Ridley, Chris Godwin.

Many here were apoplectic when the Jets failed to tender Robbie Anderson with a first round tender.  Still more, myself included, campaigned for the addition of Adam Humphries to the roster as a premium free agent acquisition. More than a few of us would welcome the addition of many of these "lesser thans" to our team. 

Sterling Shepard catches more than 60 balls a year, for 750 yards and averages more than 12 yards/catch, with a high catch % rate.  He is far better than any receiver the Jets have chosen in the second round, in recent memory, that's for sure.

I hate the Giants too. Let's not make that the reason for undervaluing Sterling Shepard as a wide receiver.  As for the trade, no. With the addition of Crowder, and the current roster, he would be redundant, and the value for the trade down is low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I don't get all of the hate regarding Sterling Shepard.  He is a very good receiver.  Certainly not a third round draft pick, which is what he is being portrayed as by many here.  Some facts about Sterling Shepard.  Last year he was the 25th leading receiver in the league in yardage.  That puts him higher on the list than the following players.  Emanuel Sanders, Julian Edelman, Alshon Jeffrey, Mohamed Sanu,  Adam Humphries, Robbie Anderson, Allen Robinson, DeShawn Jackson, Jordy Nelson, Calvin Ridley, Chris Godwin.

Many here were apoplectic when the Jets failed to tender Robbie Anderson with a first round tender.  Still more, myself included, campaigned for the addition of Adam Humphries to the roster as a premium free agent acquisition. More than a few of us would welcome the addition of many of these "lesser thans" to our team. 

Sterling Shepard catches more than 60 balls a year, for 750 yards and averages more than 12 yards/catch, with a high catch % rate.  He is far better than any receiver the Jets have chosen in the second round, in recent memory, that's for sure.

I hate the Giants too. Let's not make that the reason for undervaluing Sterling Shepard as a wide receiver.  As for the trade, no. With the addition of Crowder, and the current roster, he would be redundant, and the value for the trade down is low.

You don't get the hate regarding Shepard?  I don't get the hate regarding Anderson.  With nobody opposite him and horrific QB play for much of his career, in the same number of seasons, Anderson has 6 less yards on 10 less targets.  He has 1 more TD.  True Shepard has more catches and a better catch rate, but honestly ;you are pushing it to claim he is better, let alone far better.  He has been working in an NFL offense with an NFL QB and Odell Beckham on the other side. 

The reason you don't trade for him, certainly not the monumental drop from 3 to 6. is because he is only under contract for one more year.  You don't lose all that draft capital to have a guy walk or the opportunity to give him a huge deal. The idea is beyond ridiculous.  You trade for an AJ Green talent at the ned of his deal, not a Sterling Shepard.  I know the draft chart is outdated, but on that the difference between 3 and 6 equates to pick 21.  Who the **** would trade the 21st pick for one year of Sterling Shepard?  Find them and fire them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Such a trade would place his value at the equivalent of a mid-second-round draft pick. It's not an outlandish trade, but I'm not sure he;'s worth that much considering what he's done in three years. He;'s been a bit of a disappointment. 

When a QB is involved, you throw the draft trade chart out of the window.

Moving up from 6 to 3 for Haskins is worth the # 17 pick, with us perhaps throwing in one of our 3rd rounders or a 4th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BobbyFlay99 said:

Would you swap 1st rd picks with the Giants in exchange for Sheppard?

LMAO

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

You don't get the hate regarding Shepard?  I don't get the hate regarding Anderson.  With nobody opposite him and horrific QB play for much of his career, in the same number of seasons, Anderson has 6 less yards on 10 less targets.  He has 1 more TD.  True Shepard has more catches and a better catch rate, but honestly ;you are pushing it to claim he is better, let alone far better.  He has been working in an NFL offense with an NFL QB and Odell Beckham on the other side. 

The reason you don't trade for him, certainly not the monumental drop from 3 to 6. is because he is only under contract for one more year.  You don't lose all that draft capital to have a guy walk or the opportunity to give him a huge deal. The idea is beyond ridiculous.  You trade for an AJ Green talent at the ned of his deal, not a Sterling Shepard.  I know the draft chart is outdated, but on that the difference between 3 and 6 equates to pick 21.  Who the **** would trade the 21st pick for one year of Sterling Shepard?  Find them and fire them. 

What are you talking about.  I didn't disparage Robbie Anderson. Or Adam Humphries.  Or Allen Robinson, for that matter.  As for Robbie,  I like him as a Jet and want to keep him.  Mentioning the fact that people went wild when the Jets didn't tender him at a #1 value is not the issue, nor the point.  It simply illustrates that a player that posted better yardage statistics and had more catches is not a third round draft pick. Anderson is not a third rounder either.  I thought the tender of Anderson as a #2 was a good move.

As for the trade, read the last line of my post.  I in now way advocated for the trade, quite to the contrary.  My sole point and purpose in the post was to illustrate that Sterling Shepard is certainly better than a third round draft pick.  Sorry you missed the point.

You don't have to defend Robbie Anderson to me.  That is preaching to the choir.  Is he a #1 wide out.  Maybe not.  Doesn't matter.  He's good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When a QB is involved, you throw the draft trade chart out of the window.

Moving up from 6 to 3 for Haskins is worth the # 17 pick, with us perhaps throwing in one of our 3rd rounders or a 4th. 

If I’m the giants I stay with the two first rounders and send Arizona both thirds for Rosen

Montez Sweat will be there at 6 and it’s not impossible QW falls to 6.  At 17 they can get Rashan Gary or DK Metcalf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

What are you talking about.  I didn't disparage Robbie Anderson. Or Adam Humphries.  Or Allen Robinson, for that matter.  As for Robbie,  I like him as a Jet and want to keep him.  Mentioning the fact that people went wild when the Jets didn't tender him at a #1 value is not the issue, nor the point.  It simply illustrates that a player that posted better yardage statistics and had more catches is not a third round draft pick. Anderson is not a third rounder either.  I thought the tender of Anderson as a #2 was a good move.

As for the trade, read the last line of my post.  I in now way advocated for the trade, quite to the contrary.  My sole point and purpose in the post was to illustrate that Sterling Shepard is certainly better than a third round draft pick.  Sorry you missed the point.

You don't have to defend Robbie Anderson to me.  That is preaching to the choir.  Is he a #1 wide out.  Maybe not.  Doesn't matter.  He's good enough.

Fine.  Fair enough.  We both like both players and think this trade idea is, shall we go with silly?

By what metric do you think Shepard posted better yardage statistics? IMO they were worse.  

I don't think I would trade a 3rd for Shepard at this time.  He will be gone or getting a Crowder-esque contract in 2020.  Why should I give more than a 3rd for that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fine.  Fair enough.  We both like both players and think this trade idea is, shall we go with silly?

By what metric do you think Shepard posted better yardage statistics? IMO they were worse.  

I don't think I would trade a 3rd for Shepard at this time.  He will be gone or getting a Crowder-esque contract in 2020.  Why should I give more than a 3rd for that?

Shepherd is an ok player he is more/less as good as Robby

 

I think Engram has way more potential because of the matchup problems 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those willing to do the trade, I’ll let Macc know so he can make the offer.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fine.  Fair enough.  We both like both players and think this trade idea is, shall we go with silly?

By what metric do you think Shepard posted better yardage statistics? IMO they were worse.  

I don't think I would trade a 3rd for Shepard at this time.  He will be gone or getting a Crowder-esque contract in 2020.  Why should I give more than a 3rd for that?

I think that you would agree that the results were at least similar.  Sterling and Robbie had virtually the same YPG average, at about 54 yards/game.  Sterling Shepard had more receptions [+16], more yards [+120], and yards after catch [+120].  He also had 17 more 1st down catches. He was only targeted 13 more times. Robbie had more touchdowns 6 vs. 4, and his yards/catch was 1.8 yards greater.

As for their contract situations, again they are similar.  Both players have three years of service, and are slated to become UFA's in 2020. Would you trade Robbie for a third rounder?  No way.  I wouldn't trade Sterling Shepard for one either.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Shepherd is an ok player he is more/less as good as Robby

 

I think Engram has way more potential because of the matchup problems 

 

He also under team control for 2 additional years. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First round pick for Sterling Shepherd? What? He's not even worth a second, or probably a third....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BobbyFlay99 said:

Would you swap 1st rd picks with the Giants in exchange for Sheppard?

whatever it was you were smoking... you can stop now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nope but I would have given our one for obj browns got a steal

sam with obj bell robby and herndon would have been sweet

odds are mac misses on our draft picks anyways like he almost always does

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely, BUT ONLY IF.....

The Giants threw in their other first round pick and their 2nd rounder.

Then I would do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad idea. Average receiver and have to pass up on a prime pick. Not enough in return to give up our pick. I would swap picks for their one next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kmnj said:

nope but I would have given our one for obj browns got a steal

sam with obj bell robby and herndon would have been sweet

odds are mac misses on our draft picks anyways like he almost always does

Giants would NOT ship OBJ cross-town to the Jets..... sharing the same stadium and press corp!!

Could you imagine the shade OBJ could have sent Mara/Gettelman's way?? I personally would have loved to see it. :soapbox::tongue2::pooh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way, the Giants would make to sweeten the pot. Our main need is going to be there for us at 3, but not at 6. Maybe Steering & a #2 pick and swap 3 & 6 picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...